We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Was Katara the Next in the Cycle of the Avatar? r.o

Sci-fi09

[41]Jul 16, 2006
    • level: 8
    One more point...This doesn't??necessarily hold any strong evidence for her being next in the cycle, but after learning from Master Pakku, Katara was able to beat every water bender that she battled. And??becuase??she is the only water bender in the south pole, this means that the only KNOWN water bender who is more skilled then her is Master Pakku and obviously he's to old to become the avatar. This, of course, is excluding any water benders from the northern tribe who are off fighting in the war, but they would also all be too old.
    Edited on 07/16/2006 8:48pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

clearwater04

[42]May 8, 2007
    • level: 10
    e

sluggmunki_tx

[43]May 8, 2007
    • level: 41
    Well, in my opinion, the avatar, who is Aang, dissappeared but still alive in the iceberg. The avatar has to be passed away in order for the spirit of the avatar to go to the next element. So if Aang died instead of being frozen in the iceberg, then Katara would be the next avatar. Or it could've been those who live in the north pole. Who knows? Pakku could've been next. It would depend. This is a good theory but there??are other options??to see what could've happened. If Aang died as of now like what if Katara somehow said "screw it" and didn't bring him back to life,??then the next Avatar would be someone who is a newborn waterbender. It wouldn't be Katara or Pakku or any of the other waterbenders in the world.
    Edited on 05/08/2007 10:11am

typhil21

[44]May 9, 2007
    • level: 5
    The last waterbending avatar was a dude his name was kuruk it was on the avatar spirit world game. FYI it was his love's face who was stolen by Koh the face stealer and Kuruk was the one who tried to kill Koh.

[45]May 10, 2007
    • level: 6
    macadamwest wrote:

Hello,

I got to thinking not to long ago that Katara was probably the next in the cycle of the Avatar had Aang not run away and dissappeared. Why? Because:

1) At the beginning of the series Aang ran away but got lost in the safety of the South Water Tribe area Was it his past lives that brought him there?

2) In the avatar cycle if you watched the first episode of book 2 you see about 10 of Aangs past lives and it seems to go into a pattern of boy boy girl girl boy boy girl girl(Kyoshi) boy(Roku) boy (Aang).

3) Aang is an airbender-the next element in the cycle is Water.

4) Katara was the only waterbender in the Southern Water Tribe (at the time)

5) Katara quickly (if you will) with dedication and determination became a Master of Waterbending and was quick to learn it. A natural thing -just like aang was superior with his airbending skills before he learned he was the avatar.

6) Katara was born 100 years from Aang-if Aang had fulfilled his purpose and died whenever it would seem like a logical explanation

7) When They found Aang, Katara was 14 if she was next in the cycle and things had gone the way they were supposed to (without aang running away and without the fire nation), Katara would only have 2 years to learn she was the next avatar.

What do you think?

maybe, maybe not.

HalfHandedCloud

[46]May 10, 2007
    • level: 12
    macadamwest wrote:

Hello,

I got to thinking not to long ago that Katara was probably the next in the cycle of the Avatar had Aang not run away and dissappeared. Why? Because:

1) At the beginning of the series Aang ran away but got lost in the safety of the South Water Tribe area Was it his past lives that brought him there?

2) In the avatar cycle if you watched the first episode of book 2 you see about 10 of Aangs past lives and it seems to go into a pattern of boy boy girl girl boy boy girl girl(Kyoshi) boy(Roku) boy (Aang).

5) Katara quickly (if you will) with dedication and determination became a Master of Waterbending and was quick to learn it. A natural thing -just like aang was superior with his airbending skills before he learned he was the avatar.

6) Katara was born 100 years from Aang-if Aang had fulfilled his purpose and died whenever it would seem like a logical explanation

7) When They found Aang, Katara was 14 if she was next in the cycle and things had gone the way they were supposed to (without aang running away and without the fire nation), Katara would only have 2 years to learn she was the next avatar.

What do you think?

maybe, maybe not.

Everything makes since except that the cycle would continue after the death of the avatar before and Aang would have been though to have been dead a few months after he ran away so technically Katara should have been born a 100 years ago. But other wise this is a really interesting theorys one of the best I have seen in a while.

tomtitan

[47]May 10, 2007
    • level: 19
    How can katara be the next in line for avatar? when she was born (the time when the avatar spirit goes inside you) the avatar spirit was still nice and freezing in the iceberg, more specifically in Aang, the avatar isn't chosen, the avatar spirit goes into the body of any newborn it comes across from the appropriate nation. so she couldn't have been avatar....

Suki18

[48]May 10, 2007
    • level: 9
    The Avatars preserved Aang in the glacier(he glows before he freezes himself), so they wouldn't bless Katara with the Avatar powers if there was one they already froze.

tomtitan

[49]May 10, 2007
    • level: 19

Suki18 wrote:
    The Avatars preserved Aang in the glacier(he glows before he freezes himself), so they wouldn't bless Katara with the Avatar powers if there was one they already froze.

that's basically what i was trying to say... only it's a lot shorter and gets the point across way better than how i did it!

C1991

[50]May 10, 2007
    • level: 13
    thndrbndr wrote:

??different baby would have come out of his moms womb.??

C1991

[51]May 10, 2007
    • level: 13

sluggmunki_tx wrote:
    Well, in my opinion, the avatar, who is Aang, dissappeared but still alive in the iceberg. The avatar has to be passed away in order for the spirit of the avatar to go to the next element. So if Aang died instead of being frozen in the iceberg, then Katara would be the next avatar. Or it could've been those who live in the north pole. Who knows? Pakku could've been next. It would depend. This is a good theory but there??are other options??to see what could've happened. If Aang died as of now like what if Katara somehow said "screw it" and didn't bring him back to life,??then the next Avatar would be someone who is a newborn waterbender. It wouldn't be Katara or Pakku or any of the other waterbenders in the world.

yeah... but there wouldn't be anothe avatar.... and all the other avatars' spirits would mock aang for the rest of his (after)life

Suki18

[52]May 10, 2007
    tomtitan wrote:

Suki18 wrote:

that's basically what i was trying to say... only it's a lot shorter and gets the point across way better than how i did it!

Nothing like a translator.

SgtHydra

[53]May 12, 2007
    macadamwest wrote:

Hello,

What do you think?

This theory brings up a major question: who decides the next avatar? Is it decided from the very begining of the universe or at the time of the previous avatar's death?

My thoughts: Katara was next in line. Another hint comes from that guru guy. I think he mentioned something along the lines of??"The love the air nomads had for you has not left this world. It is reborn as new love." This 'new love' is obviously Katara. I'm not shipping here, but the dialogue still occured. Is Katara the avatar? No. Could she have been? Maybe. I have zero idea. But it would make an interesting episode...

ruggedwonders

[54]May 13, 2007

The female Airbending??Avatar was Avatar Yangchen.... then the male Waterbending Avatar was Avatar Kuruk, then Avatar Kyoshi, then Avatar Roku, then Aang.

In the episode "The Chase," when they all attack Azula at the same time,??they're all, somehow, positioned??in the Avatar cycle. Aang, Katara, Toph, and then Zuko is how it goes, from left to right.

The Avatar cycle goes like this: Water, Earth, Fire, and then Air, and then it repeats itself. But when Aang had found out that he was the Avatar, the monks??also told him that they were afraid that Fire Lord Sozin was going to start a war soon, and that they needed time to train him. But after he found out that he was the Avatar, everything started changing. He left and the Fire Nation attacked his temple and the other temples, because Fire Lord Sozin knew that the next Avatar would be an Airbender and he didn't want him to survive.*

*My info on the Avatar cycle-thingy came from The Lost Scrolls: Air.

Suki18

[55]May 16, 2007
    SgtHydra wrote:
    macadamwest wrote:

Hello,

What do you think?

This theory brings up a major question: who decides the next avatar? Is it decided from the very begining of the universe or at the time of the previous avatar's death?

My thoughts: Katara was next in line. Another hint comes from that guru guy. I think he mentioned something along the lines of??"The love the air nomads had for you has not left this world. It is reborn as new love." This 'new love' is obviously Katara. I'm not shipping here, but the dialogue still occured. Is Katara the avatar? No. Could she have been? Maybe. I have zero idea. But it would make an interesting episode...

She is NOT!

Aang was frozen in the Avater state. Thus, Katara wasn't blessed with being the Avatar if there is one preserved!

I'm calm.

yodakicks

[56]May 16, 2007
    • level: 7

Well, in my opinion Katara can be the Avatar, but not at the way you think, following the re-incarnation laws, people can re-incarnate in different bodies and even in parallel times of their other reincarnations, Katara doesn't present Avatar's magic stuff or even an Avatar state in her life, I can explain it in this way, When Aang received that thunder shot from Azula in the Avatar state, he died and their other lives died too, but in a certain way when Katara healed him she only could save only??Aang's soul, so, when Aang died being murdered by the fire lord at the end of the story the next reincarnation was Katara, so she couldn't have the powers of the Avatar because the only re-incarnation before her was Aang, but she colud have her special talents and dedication to the waterbending.

The other theory I have is that Katara is one of the firsts Avatars in the re-incarnation cycle, not the one who follows Aang in the re-incarnation's cycle, probably, she was the first Avatar in all the chain, I dunno, and this is the other way we can explain her talents and power, a measurable but powerful one, I say it because Katara isn't 16 to know she is the Avatar but some talented avatars like Aang have had an Avatar state in her life, and there are some examples when she only has powerful defenses(except when she was gonna be buried alive in the first episode of the second season), and we can take the part when Aang was assasinated, she made??a big??inundation and got rid of the bad guys before Iroh could got there and defend them from Azula.

I believe that my first theory is stronger than the second one, because I also imagine that the little baby we saw in the serpent's pass and the drill can be the next avatar after Katara, or maybe he was before than Aang?

SgtHydra

[57]May 16, 2007
    Suki18 wrote:
    SgtHydra wrote:
    macadamwest wrote:

Hello,

What do you think?

She is NOT!

Aang was frozen in the Avater state. Thus, Katara wasn't blessed with being the Avatar if there is one preserved!

I'm calm.

Nobody ever said Katara was the avatar. I just wonder if aang hadn't run off and gotten trapped in that iceburg, would she be the avatar? Its all speculation. Unless somebody gets a time machine...

Nah... thats too stupid... it would ruin the show...

But I also wonder if others reincarnate. Remember, the spirt world wasn't exactly full of dead people's souls, just a few. Could a normal person be reborn into a new body to live life again?

Suki18

[58]May 16, 2007
    SgtHydra wrote:
    Suki18 wrote:
    SgtHydra wrote:
    macadamwest wrote:

Hello,

What do you think?

She is NOT!

I'm calm.

Nobody ever said Katara was the avatar. I just wonder if aang hadn't run off and gotten trapped in that iceburg, would she be the avatar? Its all speculation. Unless somebody gets a time machine...

But I also wonder if others reincarnate. Remember, the spirt world wasn't exactly full of dead people's souls, just a few. Could a normal person be reborn into a new body to live life again?

I know.

And, she could've been if Aang died.

Heh...

SgtHydra

[59]May 18, 2007
    Suki18 wrote:
    SgtHydra wrote:
    Suki18 wrote:
    SgtHydra wrote:
    macadamwest wrote:

Hello,

What do you think?

She is NOT!

I'm calm.

I know.

Heh...

Its okay, No reason to get embarassed...

I fliped out once... ahhh... that was one crazy night....

gregfaulds

[60]Oct 1, 2007
    • level: 1
    SgtHydra wrote:
    Suki18 wrote:
    SgtHydra wrote:
    Suki18 wrote:
    SgtHydra wrote:
    macadamwest wrote:

Hello,

What do you think?

My thoughts: Katara was next in line. Another hint comes from that guru guy. I think he mentioned something along the lines of"The love the air nomads had for you has not left this world. It is reborn as new love." This 'new love' is obviously Katara. I'm not shipping here, but the dialogue still occured. Is Katara the avatar? No. Could she have been? Maybe. I have zero idea. But it would make an interesting episode...

She is NOT!

I'm calm.

I know.

Heh...

Its okay, No reason to get embarassed...

I fliped out once... ahhh... that was one crazy night....

sum of u guys r tokin crazy bcoz the new avatar is only born again wen thy die and aang nvr died he was just frozen, katara is just really good at water bending!! and thr is no known pattern of avatars being male or female as was said earlier, and even why wood aang have lived untill 100 years old, it cood have skipped and gone to the nxt element; earth seeing as toph is even better at earth bending thn katara is water bending!!