We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Was Katara the Next in the Cycle of the Avatar? r.o

raienbrasa

[61]Oct 1, 2007
    • level: 13
    Why bother making her more Avatar-ish when the Avatar's not actually dead? I doubt there's any forethought, and if there is, it would've seen Aang being frozen.

Also, the cycle isn't boy boy girl girl.
    Yangchen(girl) Kuruk(boy) Kyoshi(girl) Roku(boy) Aang(boy)

Didn't feel like reading 3 pages, so if this has been said, big deal. ;D
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Spike815

[62]Oct 1, 2007
    • level: 14
    Any reason you guys bumped a thread made over a year ago?

Frilzer

[63]Oct 1, 2007
    • level: 5
    its a possible idea i guess, but would the events that occured without aang would have happened if he didnt get frozen for 100 years? and IF he wasnt frozen what would be the chances of him living that long or longer that when katara was born?

WiseLad

[64]Oct 2, 2007
    first, this was bumped from about 5 months ago

second

the avatar reincarnation happens when the avatar DIES, not by length of years, Kyoshi was over 200 years old when she died(and she was one who created the Dai Li)nor by being frozen(as it happened to Aang)

but either a baby could have been born between end of season 2 and the awakening, (if the avatar gift is bestowed)or a baby would have been born 9 months after end of season 2(in other words, not born yet if Aang had died)if the "avatar spirit is entered at time of conception"; as Aang should have died by the hands of Azula, except Katara saved him

BlueAndOrange

[65]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 9

why do somany people think katara was suppposed to be the next avatar after aang? aang is not dead yet. if there had been some "splitting up" of the avatars soul or whatever when aang was frozen, then the second avatar would be a 100 year old waterbender.

just because katara is such a good waterbender soes not mean she is avatar2. there are prodigy's like her in all the races (eg. bumi, toph, azula, iroh, pakkuetc), so why arent any of you suggest that pakku or someone isnt the second avatar? ill tell you why, you guys want to belive she is, because deep down, your all kataangers at heart. you want them both to be the avatar, because if they were, then they could be viewed as equal. that is all i have to say. sorry if ioffended anyone, especially if they took offence to being called a kataanger. id be pissed to...

vgamekid0

[66]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 1
    macadamwest wrote:

Hello,

I got to thinking not to long ago that Katara was probably the next in the cycle of the Avatar had Aang not run away and dissappeared. Why? Because:

1) At the beginning of the series Aang ran away but got lost in the safety of the South Water Tribe area Was it his past lives that brought him there?

2) In the avatar cycle if you watched the first episode of book 2 you see about 10 of Aangs past lives and it seems to go into a pattern of boy boy girl girl boy boy girl girl(Kyoshi) boy(Roku) boy (Aang).

3) Aang is an airbender-the next element in the cycle is Water.

4) Katara was the only waterbender in the Southern Water Tribe (at the time)

5) Katara quickly (if you will) with dedication and determination became a Master of Waterbending and was quick to learn it. A natural thing -just like aang was superior with his airbending skills before he learned he was the avatar.

6) Katara was born 100 years from Aang-if Aang had fulfilled his purpose and died whenever it would seem like a logical explanation

7) When They found Aang, Katara was 14 if she was next in the cycle and things had gone the way they were supposed to (without aang running away and without the fire nation), Katara would only have 2 years to learn she was the next avatar.

What do you think?

1)Aang ended up in the water tribe because he ran away from his air temple as soon as he found out hw was the avatar and was caught in huge storm, and as a last chance for safety, the avatar state was triggered automatically thus freezing him and Appa.

2)Very perceptive..................

3)You gotme there............

4)Yes but an avatar needs to be parentless, Katara is not.....

5)She had a lot of time............

6)The previous avatar needs to die before the next one is born....

7)Ok..........................

Overall you have some points and who knows?

tico1125

[67]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 6

This thread is actually very valid. Good job in thinking this all out. It never even occurred to me on who could have been the next Avatar. I guess, I like many, have been wrapped up in Aang being the Avatar.

Now here is an interesting question. Is the Avatar spirit reincarnated upon conception of the new Avatar or does it transfer when they are young. Basically, did Roku die and the spirit just found its way into Young Aang or did Aang just so happen to be conceived at the same time?

That question will boggle our minds because that now leads into something else. Does Aang have his own spirit and the Avatar Spirit is seperate? So in a sense the Avatar has 2 spirits within him/her or is the Avatar spirit just an essence? Based on the books of the Lost Scrolls, they say that the Avatar has the Spirit of the Earth/Nature within him....

Let me know what you think.

raienbrasa

[68]Oct 2, 2007
    vgamekid0 wrote:
    macadamwest wrote:

Hello,

I got to thinking not to long ago that Katara was probably the next in the cycle of the Avatar had Aang not run away and dissappeared. Why? Because:

1) At the beginning of the series Aang ran away but got lost in the safety of the South Water Tribe area Was it his past lives that brought him there?

2) In the avatar cycle if you watched the first episode of book 2 you see about 10 of Aangs past lives and it seems to go into a pattern of boy boy girl girl boy boy girl girl(Kyoshi) boy(Roku) boy (Aang).

5) Katara quickly (if you will) with dedication and determination became a Master of Waterbending and was quick to learn it. A natural thing -just like aang was superior with his airbending skills before he learned he was the avatar.

6) Katara was born 100 years from Aang-if Aang had fulfilled his purpose and died whenever it would seem like a logical explanation

7) When They found Aang, Katara was 14 if she was next in the cycle and things had gone the way they were supposed to (without aang running away and without the fire nation), Katara would only have 2 years to learn she was the next avatar.

What do you think?

1)Aang ended up in the water tribe because he ran away from his air temple as soon as he found out hw was the avatar and was caught in huge storm, and as a last chance for safety, the avatar state was triggered automatically thus freezing him and Appa.

2)Very perceptive..................

3)You gotme there............

4)Yes but an avatar needs to be parentless, Katara is not.....

5)She had a lot of time............

6)The previous avatar needs to die before the next one is born....

7)Ok..........................

Overall you have some points and who knows?

2. Not perceptive at all, because like I said in my previous post(and obviously no one ever reads my logic-filled posts), that's not actually the case.
    4. What? Everyone has parents, even Aang. He just wasn't brought up by them because he's an airbender, not because he's the Avatar. There was even a whole thread on this, sadly.

caseybocook

[69]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 7
    My theory is maybe Katara was a airbender in eastern air temple 100 years ago , she was meant to help train Aang in his advanced training and to become his companion in life . But since he ran away he was frozen and she died in battle .Katara was reincarnated as waterbender 100 years later and she was meant to find Aang and help him with his journey to become the Avatar.
    Edited on 10/02/2007 6:22am

mrshock13

[70]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 9
    macadamwest wrote:

Hello,

What do you think?

yeah, there's no cycle as to what gender the avatar is, as right before kyoshi, was avatar kuruk, a guy, and right before him, avatar yangchen, a girl, and another firebender right before her, also a guy.

what's to say that the water avatar wasnt from the northern water tribe?

most of the avatars live to be over 100, therefore, katara probably wouldnt have been part of the cycle...kyoshi was 320, roku was over 100, etc.

aang happened to be in the water NEAR the water tribe for the reason that the southern air temple isnt too far away from the southern water tribe, since they got there pretty fast in ep. 103 after leaving the soutpole.

nice try, but not a very good idea, sorry to say it.

feel4yogurt

[71]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 8
    yeah, i had the same exact idea in like the first threee episodes
    it woudnt really make all that much sense because aang never died. I't'd have to be a baby born after aang died. maybe if aang and katara have a kid....

avrurakinninami

[72]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 21

Need a new born baby, a waterbender in the next cycle, I doubt that it could be katara's baby, first: because the next avatar is choosed nearly after the death of the old one, and I dont think she will have the time for that.... i mean maybe 5 years later, and certainly not during the end battle between the good and the evil. !

Edited on 10/02/2007 8:37am

WiseLad

[73]Oct 2, 2007
    if it is related to Katara, it might be her grandchild or more likely great-grandchild,even a descendant from Sokka; as it has to be after Aang dies, not before

raienbrasa

[74]Oct 2, 2007
    mrshock13 wrote:
    roku was over 100, etc.
    Nope, 58. Some crazy people did the math.

avrurakinninami

[75]Oct 2, 2007
    WiseLad wrote:
    if it is related to Katara, it might be her grandchild or more likely great-grandchild,even a descendant from Sokka; as it has to be after Aang dies, not before

We dont see your pics in your dig

WiseLad

[76]Oct 2, 2007
    I know, haven't been able to figure how to do it, I just keep it for reference when I figure it out, or someone tells me how

avrurakinninami

[77]Oct 2, 2007
    WiseLad wrote:
    I know, haven't been able to figure how to do it, I just keep it for reference when I figure it out, or someone tells me how

I mean sig, Man I'M tired, You have just to go in your profile/board/sig/and the icon for the image, its same thing to put a pic in your comments.

WiseLad

[78]Oct 2, 2007
    have you seen in any of my comments an image? I just post the url of the image

avrurakinninami

[79]Oct 2, 2007
    WiseLad wrote:
    have you seen in any of my comments an image? I just post the url of the image
    So meaning less...

Meauxx

[80]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 7
    I think this theory doesn't make sense, who says the avatar is always a boy, then a girl and then a boy again? THe Avatar before aang is Roku, who is also a boy.

Who said Aang would die if he didn't get caught in the Iceberg? kyoshi lived for 300 years, didn't she?

Also.. If Aang didn't get caught in the Iceberg, he would have probably been killed at the FN Ambush (That is why he got caught in the Iceberg, it's called 'Destiny' (See Episode 'The Storm'))

Who says the next avatar (waterbender) would be in the South pole?