We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Was Katara the Next in the Cycle of the Avatar? r.o

bishop1fan

[21]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 2
    no, aang would have most likely never made to a 100 years if he didn't run away, probably 60-65 years old before he passed, katara wouldn't of been born for another 12 years and by that time the avatar would already have been know and recieved training

Then why did avatar roku die he doesn't look that old
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Waterwhip

[22]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 5
    bishop1fan wrote:
    no, aang would have most likely never made to a 100 years if he didn't run away, probably 60-65 years old before he passed, katara wouldn't of been born for another 12 years and by that time the avatar would already have been know and recieved training

Then why did avatar roku die he doesn't look that old

Maybe the way we see him isn't the way he looked when he died. After all, the first time we saw he looked exactly like his statue, and they probably didn't make it to portray him as a geezer.

UGamer08

[23]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 23

Waterwhip wrote:
    bishop1fan wrote:
    It seems that people in the avatar's world live quite a bit longer than people in ours. Take Bumi, for example. He's just as old as Aang would be if he hadn't been frozen, and he's in good health. So maybe Aang would still be alive, and it would be the opposite of what you said. Or maybe it would work out. It's just a theory.

Doubt it. Her birth would have to be the exact same week of Aang's death, and as for that living to almost a hundred years thing, can't hit the mark every time. Its not even just a matter of age, a lot can happen in 60-80 years. Bumi's what we call exception to the rule. Kinda like those??two or three guys who participated in the??last winter olympics.??

hego007

[24]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 1
    I kinda think it would have been Sokka, just for an odd twist of fate, that and he seems to be missing the intelegence that he would have if he had been the avatar, and yah know when Roku said that the cycle would be broken if Aang died in the Avatar state, does it really matter? There are no more Air
    Nomads, at least he could have beaten the fire lord, it would be worth it. I doubt that when or if Aang dies, Katara would become the Avatar, mainly because of her lack of mentioning anything after Aunt Woo's reading, and how she basically gave Kitara a Biography about her life.

jmpenn04

[25]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 3
    I think it is likely that had Aang lived a normal life as Avatar (as normal as it could be, anyway), Katara definitely would have been the next Avatar.?? I see two main pieces of evidence for this:
    1).?? Water is the next nation in the cycle after Air (but everyone already knows that)
    2).?? Katara seems to have greater-than-average talent in waterbending (although I still doubt she could become a master in a few weeks).?? Plus she has the extra healing ability.?? It seems she was sort of "set-up" to be the next Avatar, but then Aang got frozen and all.?? Had things gone another way, I'd say yes.

blue_babu12

[26]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 13
    phoenixfirework wrote:
    Do you mean resent.
    yea i kind of agree. the chances are low if any. but about the theory. im not too sure. i mean, theres really no strong evidence??to support wat u say is true. ud need more thiongs, i think katara is just katara. ((btw im not trying to be mean, sry))??
    Edited on 07/15/2006 2:21pm

jnk4eva

[27]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 10

Personally i like the idea, but i highly doubt it...i think Katara is very skilled because they (the writers) needed her to be so for Aang's sake; and we've come across many "wise" people throughout the show...take Azula for example: she's a brilliant bender (even called a prodigy) and whether you like her or not she's very intelligent, granted her element??is not next in the cycle but...well you see where i'm going...

kbruce12

[28]Jul 15, 2006
    Or, she could be one of the avatar's friends from a past life, you know, like Isaia's OC

F1ames

[29]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 7
    That's actually a pretty good speculation, bout katara possibly supposed to be the next avatar if aang had lived and died in the right time era. It is weird that katara is the only waterbender in the south pole, when there were??a lot??of little kids there, boy and girl. But da avatar could also be born in the north water tribe.

metalcurtainrod

[30]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 10
    macadamwest wrote:
    See I thought the water bender in the avatar state was a girl?? It was hard to look from the pictures. But your right about the airbender! Not sure on the waterbender

No, the waterbender was pretty masculine looking. I'm 99% sure that the waterbender was male.

Songoftheskies

[31]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 6
    It seems to me that healing isn't an "extra" ability.?? The waterbending girls are taught to heal, and the boys to fight. I'm sure every waterbender could heal if they were given lessons.

macadamwest

[32]Jul 15, 2006
    But both came naturally to katara

SpideyFan914

[33]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 18
    You never know: There could still be airbenders, only no one knows it. I sure think so. And Aunt Woo could've been wrong.

SpideyFan914

[34]Jul 15, 2006
    kbruce12 wrote:
    Or, she could be one of the avatar's friends from a past life, you know, like Isaia's OC

Whoa! What a coincidence! I once thought: "What if Katara was the person who lost her face to the face-stealer in a past life?" once, only then I remembered that only the Avatar reincarnates.

SpideyFan914

[35]Jul 15, 2006
    I think that your theory makes perfect sense and hope you're right!

pooldude256

[36]Jul 16, 2006
    • level: 38
    If Katara was next in line she would have gotten waterbending as quickly as Aang.

SpideyFan914

[37]Jul 16, 2006
    pooldude256 wrote:
    If Katara was next in line she would have gotten waterbending as quickly as Aang.

she got it faster than aang. or am I wrong that she's his waterbending master?

thndrbndr

[38]Jul 16, 2006
    • level: 7

I dont think a person is chosen by the spirits to become the avatar but the Avatar becomes a person. So Aang wouldnt have been born if he wasnt the avatar, a different baby would have come out of his moms womb.?? Like wise for Katara

Thats my thoughts on the matter anyways.

macadamwest

[39]Jul 16, 2006

Pooldude-the only thing with that is-that she doesnt have the spirits that Aang does-her past lives. I'm thinking she probably was next in line had Aang done it right.

She basically taught waterbending to herself and everything.

Budokaisp

[40]Jul 16, 2006
    • level: 5
    thndrbndr wrote:

I dont think a person is chosen by the spirits to become the avatar but the Avatar becomes a person. So Aang wouldnt have been born if he wasnt the avatar, a different baby would have come out of his mom's womb.?? Like wise for Katara

Thats my thoughts on the matter anyways.

NO!!!!