We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Was Katara the Next in the Cycle of the Avatar? r.o

macadamwest

[1]Jul 14, 2006
    • level: 3

Hello,

I got to thinking not to long ago that Katara was probably the next in the cycle of the Avatar had Aang not run away and dissappeared. Why? Because:

1) At the beginning of the series Aang ran away but got lost in the safety of the South Water Tribe area Was it his past lives that brought him there?

2) In the avatar cycle if you watched the first episode of book 2 you see about 10 of Aangs past lives and it seems to go into a pattern of boy boy girl girl boy boy girl girl(Kyoshi) boy(Roku) boy (Aang).

3) Aang is an airbender-the next element in the cycle is Water.

4) Katara was the only waterbender in the Southern Water Tribe (at the time)

5) Katara quickly (if you will) with dedication and determination became a Master of Waterbending and was quick to learn it. A natural thing -just like aang was superior with his airbending skills before he learned he was the avatar.

6) Katara was born 100 years from Aang-if Aang had fulfilled his purpose and died whenever it would seem like a logical explanation

7) When They found Aang, Katara was 14 if she was next in the cycle and things had gone the way they were supposed to (without aang running away and without the fire nation), Katara would only have 2 years to learn she was the next avatar.

What do you think?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

macadamwest

[2]Jul 14, 2006
    Couldn't edit but sorry-Katara would find out she was the avatar at age 16 since that was "tradition" in all the elements.

phoenixfirework

[3]Jul 14, 2006
    • level: 21

Yeah, all of the unnecessary attention she receives makes this likely. This could make a good Zutara fan-fic idea. *Shudders* Zutara.

GuardiansofVeil

[4]Jul 14, 2006
    its a theory but theres really nothing strong to support it... hey its not the Southern Tribe but its just the Water Benders chance to have an Avatar

macadamwest

[5]Jul 14, 2006

I guess it just throws me because some of the things she says is like whoa thats something the avatar would say. She had an instant sensing of aang being full of "great wisdom" as well-in the very first episode.

It just I dunno it just seems to be all the little things she says...yeah maybe im just nuts. *shrugs*

VampiesAreFun

[6]Jul 14, 2006
    phoenixfirework wrote:
    Yeah, all of the unnecessary attention she receives makes this likely. This could make a good Zutara fan-fic idea. *Shudders* Zutara.
    Hey I represent that!

phoenixfirework

[7]Jul 14, 2006
    • level: 21
    Do you mean resent.

crazyaboutu

[8]Jul 14, 2006
    • level: 1

HI

i really like your idea on Aang and Katara on the avatra thing so this may sound kinda weird but i will give u my Yahoo and msn[hotmail] so u can talk more ok o and im naot a predator so it is ty_collyn_2011@yahoo.com and ty_collyn_2011@hotmail.com

so um i think thats so um bye plz reply??and put in add my yahoo and or msn[hotmail] bye

crazyaboutu

[9]Jul 14, 2006
    • level: 1
    HI

i really like your idea on Aang and Katara on the avatra thing so this may sound kinda weird but i will give u my Yahoo and msn[hotmail] so u can talk more ok o and im naot a predator so it is ty_collyn_2011@yahoo.com and ty_collyn_2011@hotmail.com

so um i think thats so um bye plz reply and put in add my yahoo and or msn[hotmail] bye o ya this message is for guradiansofveil

shappy12

[10]Jul 14, 2006
    • level: 5

I think Ang and Kitara are going to fall in love by the end of this season.

Sci-fi09

[11]Jul 14, 2006
    • level: 8
    *blinks* Wow I thought of the exact same??thing.?? All the same reasons and stuff you gave too.?? I think it's very possible that Katara would have been the next avatar.

macadamwest

[12]Jul 14, 2006
    It's crazy isn't it? I mean also just from some of the other posts one thing that just dawned on me (and this is not me being a kataang fan or whatever) is that there was an instant bond between them (like how when Aang saw the statue of Roku and was like, that's Roku and they said how do you know? and he said, I don't know but its like I know him....) and how Katara instantly just was thrilled with finding him and was like oh the wisdom whatever (both from The Boy in the Iceburg, and The Southern Air Temple) and she's the only one that can calm him down.

I think thats like huge because a kindred soul is usually the only thing that can calm a person down especially if there is some kind of connection (and in this case it could be the fact she was next in the avatar cycle!)

I know for me that I have a very dear friend that is a boy (I'm driving a point here) and everytime he gets upset I'm the only one who can calm him down (I'm a girl btw) and vice versa. It's just that we're very connected-but we would never dream of dating each other because its more of a brother sister relationship.

*shrugs* I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thought this!

Sci-fi09

[13]Jul 14, 2006
    • level: 8
    And now that I read it in your post, it makes a lot more sense to me. You're right about the whole "full of wisdom" thing. I didn't even think about that.

Also a lot of people said that how Katara got so good at Water bending so quikly was a plot hole, but mabey the writers made her a quick learner for that reason. I really hope that's how it turns out to be.

metalcurtainrod

[14]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 10
    About the avatar cycle:

I don't think it a girl-girl-boy-boy pattern.

If that were the case then all air nomad avatars would be boys and all earth kingdom avatars would be girls.

These are the genders in order of the most recent avatars based on book 2 chapter 1 (the avatar state):

Air: girl
    Water: boy
    Earth: girl (kyoshi)
    Fire: boy (roku)
    air: boy (aang)

Now, based on this pattern, I assume that genders alternate based on where the avatar is from.

Example: The air nomad avatar before aang is female, and the air nomad avatar after him is going to be female.

macadamwest

[15]Jul 15, 2006
    See I thought the water bender in the avatar state was a girl?? It was hard to look from the pictures. But your right about the airbender! Not sure on the waterbender

Faldwin

[16]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 6
    I really like that theory. I think I will write a fan fic about it. (maybe)

hermie_the_frog

[17]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 10
    I've thought about that too...but here's a strange idea. Maybe some weird discrepency in the cycle will occur and if Katara was supposed to be the next one than they'll be two avatars at once. Or she'll become the Avatar the second Aang dies, assuming he dies before her. It's weird, I know, but I've thought about that too.

bishop1fan

[18]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 2
    no, aang would have most likely never made to a 100 years if he didn't run away, probably 60-65 years old before he passed, katara wouldn't of been born for another 12 years and by that time the avatar would already have been know and recieved training

macadamwest

[19]Jul 15, 2006
    But king bumi is over 100 years old. He was younger than Aang.

I actually have wondered if in the final battle Roku will come and say come along Aang and then the power goes to her

Waterwhip

[20]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 5
    bishop1fan wrote:
    no, aang would have most likely never made to a 100 years if he didn't run away, probably 60-65 years old before he passed, katara wouldn't of been born for another 12 years and by that time the avatar would already have been know and recieved training

It seems that people in the avatar's world live quite a bit longer than people in ours. Take Bumi, for example. He's just as old as Aang would be if he hadn't been frozen, and he's in good health. So maybe Aang would still be alive, and it would be the opposite of what you said. Or maybe it would work out. It's just a theory.