We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Official Character Relationship Discussion 4

Sokka ship?

snowprincess456

[5481]Apr 15, 2010
    • level: 15
    I think there is much effort being put in this shipping battle...what ever happened to the nonsense filled aspect of the good ol' shipping war?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

WWinnieF

[5482]Apr 15, 2010
    • level: 20

snowprincess456 wrote:
    I think there is much effort being put in this shipping battle...what ever happened to the nonsense filled aspect of the good ol' shipping war?
    It died. Shipping pointlessly for nonsense's sake is old hat. Debating peacefully over the matter is much better, IMHO. Otherwise, we have different people fighting over various ships in the same way TMNT fans debate as to which of the various versions would be better (most often either the 1987 campy version done to market merchandise--including the live action films--or the 2003 revamp that tried to be a close homage to the green teens' dark comic roots from Mirage Comics in 1984).

Teenage Mutant Ninja (Hero) Turtles: Heroes in a Half-Shell. Turtle Power!

Oddly, Viacom precured the rights of the franchise from Mirage Comics, so the next time people would see the sewer-dwelling New York vigilantes just might be on Nickelodeon in 2012 supposedly, when a new series is planned to be released.

Edited on 04/15/2010 8:16pm
    Edited 16 total times.

edmasterchaos

[5483]Apr 15, 2010
    • level: 41

snowprincess456 wrote:
    Dunno, this guy is putting lots of info for what should be our sillyness, but still it's good to have ship fights

Of course Chuckie and Angelica wasn't proved because they're 2 and 3. But that simply proves that it's not canon. It's a possible shipping of course, and maybe there's more hints than i see, but there's no confirmation of it.
    And, that's completely off-topic, but i love the 2K3 TMNT, though i never saw the 87's since i was way too young (born on season 4 lol, and i don't think they aired it in mexico right)

WWinnieF

[5484]Apr 15, 2010

edmasterchaos wrote:
    but still it's good to have ship fights
    As long as it is civil and not taken out of control, that is.
    :
    Of course Chuckie and Angelica wasn't proved because they're 2 and 3. But that simply proves that it's not canon.
    Says you. As I said, just because it is not direct and in-your-face doesn't mean it isn't canon. Many pairs start out in subtle form before becoming obvious. Even Beast Boy/Raven started that way in the Geoff Johns' era comics that came after both The New Teen Titans (which inspired the 2003-2006 series) and Young Justice (in production to become an animated series) disbanded. They had moments, just as they did in the show, and eventually became canon by issue #30 of the Life or Death story arc. Despite their recent separation, the two still love each other, because the separation was done by Raven to protect Beast Boy from her demonic side, for as that ol' saying goes, "We always hurt those we love."
    :
    It's a possible shipping of course, and maybe there's more hints than i see,
    You're not looking hard enough. You're just seeing things as they are on the surface and for some pairings, you have to dig deeper than just what's presented outright.
    :
    but there's no confirmation of it.
    Aside from Helga's obsession, there was no official confirmation of Arnold/Helga either. Sure, Bartlett himself confirmed in an interview that Arnold/Helga was the direction he was moving towards, but unfortunately, he was let go and the series was pulled off the airwaves before his concept to bring the two officially together--called The Jungle Movie--had even made it past the cutting room floor. The same could be said for Sheldon/Jenny of Teenage Robot, because the creators had purportedly planned to head in that direction before that series too was axed. Hell, the same could've even been said for Kataang in Avatar if season three hadn't of gotten greenlit after a brief hiatus, so don't say that a pairing has to be balantantly obvious in order to be considered canonical, because as those examples show, pairings don't always have to be explained outloud and shown on a silver platter.
    :
    i never saw the 87's since i was way too young (born on season 4 lol, and i don't think they aired it in mexico right)
    Dang, you're making me feel old. I was born in 1984 right when the franchise had started and most definately a few years before the 1987 cartoon started airing. I guess that's why I truly got the best of both worlds in my view, because I saw both the hit programs of the 1980's and earlier through my stations airing them and also grew up into the 1990's, when the second greatest time period for entertainment (from traditionally animated cartoons, to well-received sitcoms, to puppet projects, to edutainment programs, and more) hit its peak for me. It's not like I think all shows 2000 and beyond suck, because there are quite a few that I have enjoyed (and not just Avatar), but I personally do not care for the fact that "reality TV" and teenybopper stuff would be seeping into everything people do, nor am I thrilled with the notion that shows for younger generations are produced in ways that talk down to the intended audiences, making them appear stupid when they clearly aren't the ones at fault.

Edited on 04/15/2010 9:25pm
    Edited 9 total times.

edmasterchaos

[5485]Apr 16, 2010

WWinnieF wrote:

edmasterchaos wrote:
    but still it's good to have ship fights
    As long as it is civil and not taken out of control, that is.

Where's the fun in that? :C

WWinnieF wrote:
    :
    Of course Chuckie and Angelica wasn't proved because they're 2 and 3. But that simply proves that it's not canon.
    Says you. As I said, just because it is not direct and in-your-face doesn't mean it isn't canon. Many pairs start out in subtle form before becoming obvious. Even Beast Boy/Raven started that way in the Geoff Johns' era comics that came after both The New Teen Titans (which inspired the 2003-2006 series) and Young Justice (in production to become an animated series) disbanded. They had moments, just as they did in the show, and eventually became canon by issue #30 of the Life or Death story arc. Despite their recent separation, the two still love each other, because the separation was done by Raven to protect Beast Boy from her demonic side, for as that ol' saying goes, "We always hurt those we love."

The definition of canon is that it's stated to be part of the storyline, so it kinda needs to be direct and in-your-face or at least stated directly by the creator or someone of high-authority, your example doesn't really help you, "Chucke And Angelica interacting in ways that coudl seem romantic"=/= "Raven and Beastboy being in love, in a relatinship and Raven breaking up with Beastboy to protect him"

WWinnieF wrote:
    :
    It's a possible shipping of course, and maybe there's more hints than i see,
    You're not looking hard enough. You're just seeing things as they are on the surface and for some pairings, you have to dig deeper than just what's presented outright.

That's.... that's a very VERY Zutarian attitude...

WWinnieF wrote:
    :
    but there's no confirmation of it.
    Aside from Helga's obsession, there was no official confirmation of Arnold/Helga either. Sure, Bartlett himself confirmed in an interview that Arnold/Helga was the direction he was moving towards, but unfortunately, he was let go and the series was pulled off the airwaves before his concept to bring the two officially together--called The Jungle Movie--had even made it past the cutting room floor. The same could be said for Sheldon/Jenny of Teenage Robot, because the creators had purportedly planned to head in that direction before that series too was axed. Hell, the same could've even been said for Kataang in Avatar if season three hadn't of gotten greenlit after a brief hiatus, so don't say that a pairing has to be balantantly obvious in order to be considered canonical, because as those examples show, pairings don't always have to be explained outloud and shown on a silver platter.

Pairings not explained 'in silver platter' are not canon, they're plausable and can be generally accepted, but not truly canon unless it outright happens in the show or the creator says it's so, like Bartlett did with Arnold/Helga, since as you mentioned he stated that his intentions was for the couple to actually happen, which means it's canon by word of god, leaving it only to fan interpretation on when it'd happen.

WWinnieF wrote:
    :
    i never saw the 87's since i was way too young (born on season 4 lol, and i don't think they aired it in mexico right)
    Dang, you're making me feel old. I was born in 1984 right when the franchise had started and most definately a few years before the 1987 cartoon started airing. I guess that's why I truly got the best of both worlds in my view, because I saw both the hit programs of the 1980's and earlier through my stations airing them and also grew up into the 1990's, when the second greatest time period for entertainment (from traditionally animated cartoons, to well-received sitcoms, to puppet projects, to edutainment programs, and more) hit its peak for me. It's not like I think all shows 2000 and beyond suck, because there are quite a few that I have enjoyed (and not just Avatar), but I personally do not care for the fact that "reality TV" and teenybopper stuff would be seeping into everything people do, nor am I thrilled with the notion that shows for younger generations are produced in ways that talk down to the intended audiences, making them appear stupid when they clearly aren't the ones at fault.

26? damn you beat me by 7 years lol.
    And, ok... i think.

WWinnieF

[5486]Apr 17, 2010

edmasterchaos wrote:
    It may not be fun, but it keeps people from blowing their tops and arguing like children. I mean, we may be young at heart, but most of us are most likely 13 and above (or in my case, way above that age).
    :
    The definition of canon is that it's stated to be part of the storyline, so it kinda needs to be direct and in-your-face or at least stated directly by the creator or someone of high-authority, your example doesn't really help you.
    Okay, let me use another example. Casting the image of his being a dead playboy courtesy of Universal aside (i.e. going from town to town and befriending--as well as crushing on--the females he runs into), in the official Harvey world, Casper is with a certain Good Little Witch. And although it is shown directly, it hasn't really been listed under your definition of canon, because none of the writers at Harvey have come forth to actually officialize the couple. So in a way, that couple is canon, because it is directly presented.

Supernatural children drinking the equivalent of beer. Wouldn't see that these days.

Love the character redesigns for Casper The Friendly Ghost (looks relatively the same), Wendy The Good Little Witch (looks sort of gothic-punk), and Hot Spot The Little Devil (looks like a junior Hellboy) by Ardden, the company that's taken over for Harvey's comic branch recently.

But in a way, the couple--by your definition--is not canon, because the Harvey writers haven't come forward to make the pair official. However, even if his writers haven't stepped up, the little deceased kid has himself stated the following, "Wendy, when I am with you, I feel ten feet tall." (comic issue) & "Being friends doesn't cover what I feel." (1998 film starring Hillary Duff as Wendy)

:
    Don't worry, I am Kataang through and through, so there's no need to push me towards the Zutara camp. However, when I ship, I ship two ways. The first is the straight-forwards approach, which is applied if the couple is made official by creators or is shown directly. The second is harder, because I have to dig to find what couples there are, given that the creators would be keeping their mouths shut and all those couples that are potentially official are only hinted at.
    :
    6 years actually, since I had a late 1984 birth, making me 25 until this next October.

Edited on 04/17/2010 8:56am
    Edited 13 total times.

edmasterchaos

[5487]Apr 17, 2010

WWinnieF wrote:

edmasterchaos wrote:
    It may not be fun, but it keeps people from blowing their tops and arguing like children. I mean, we may be young at heart, but most of us are most likely 13 and above (or in my case, way above that age).

But, right now it's just you and me, and you scared the two other people away :C

WWinnieF wrote:
    SmexyGod wrote:
    The definition of canon is that it's stated to be part of the storyline, so it kinda needs to be direct and in-your-face or at least stated directly by the creator or someone of high-authority, your example doesn't really help you.
    Okay, let me use another example. Casting the image of his being a dead playboy courtesy of Universal aside (i.e. going from town to town and befriending--as well as crushing on--the females he runs into), in the official Harvey world, Casper is with a certain Good Little Witch. And although it is shown directly, it hasn't really been listed under your definition of canon, because none of the writers at Harvey have come forth to actually officialize the couple. So in a way, that couple is canon, because it is directly presented.

Supernatural children drinking the equivalent of beer. Wouldn't see that these days.

Love the character redesigns for Casper The Friendly Ghost (looks relatively the same), Wendy The Good Little Witch (looks sort of gothic-punk), and Hot Spot The Little Devil (looks like a junior Hellboy) by Ardden, the company that's taken over for Harvey's comic branch recently.

But in a way, the couple--by your definition--is not canon, because the Harvey writers haven't come forward to make the pair official. However, even if his writers haven't stepped up, the little deceased kid has himself stated the following, "Wendy, when I am with you, I feel ten feet tall." (comic issue) & "Being friends doesn't cover what I feel." (1998 film starring Hillary Duff as Wendy)

....yeah, that enters perfectly in my definition of non-canon ship. You can ship it, you have the tools to do so and be an acceptable ship, but it's not canon. It can still be interpreted as just good friends of oposing genders, i could maybe agree on the ship if i knew more of it, but i would still go with "it's not really canon" it's shippable but not canon.
    Also the 1998 film is just wrong .-.

WWinnieF wrote:
    :
    Don't worry, I am Kataang through and through, so there's no need to push me towards the Zutara camp. However, when I ship, I ship two ways. The first is the straight-forwards approach, which is applied if the couple is made official by creators or is shown directly. The second is harder, because I have to dig to find what couples there are, given that the creators would be keeping their mouths shut and all those couples that are potentially official are only hinted at.

Yup, that's shipping alright. Only you can't claim any of the second example as a canon ship, it's an opinion thing, you think it's the most logical and correct ship, but it's not canon and you should respect those who disagree with your opinion and think another ship is better. And agree that it's not canon.

WWinnieF wrote:
    :
    6 years actually, since I had a late 1984 birth, making me 25 until this next October.

Well i don't turn 19 'till May, so yeah.

WWinnieF

[5488]Apr 17, 2010

edmasterchaos wrote:
    But, right now it's just you and me, and you scared the two other people away :C
    Whoopsie. XD
    :
    ....yeah, that enters perfectly in my definition of non-canon ship. You can ship it, you have the tools to do so and be an acceptable ship, but it's not canon. It can still be interpreted as just good friends of oposing genders,
    Even if the characters themselves consider themselves together, regardless of whether or not their writers make them official? Wendy was created as a female companion for Casper in the Harvey interpretation and really, if we take the Universal stories away, Wendy is the only female character within Casper's world to last as long as she has (because she exists in the Harvey interpretation, in the Universal one via the 1998 film, and in the comic comeback by Ardden for Casper's 60th birthday). Plus, every cover of Wendy's comic line from the 60's into the 70's would always have her and her "boo"--pun partially intended--out of some outing together, most often astride her broomstick (even though Casper could fly on his own).
    :
    Also the 1998 film is just wrong.
    It's closer to the Harvey reality than the 1995 film (as good as that film is), because whereas Wendy exists in both continuities, all the other girls only exist in Universal's version, not the official Harvey version. Regarding Kat, she was made up by Universal specifically for the 1995 film and its 1996 animated spin-off. In fact, Kat was initially supposed to be Wendy, but Universal backed out of that deal at the last minute, choosing not to pay Harvey the money needed to purchase rights to use Wendy at the time:

Christina Ricci's character of Kat in the Casper movie was originally named Wendy in the script but changed at the last minute because otherwise Universal would have been required to buy the rights to her character as well. However, several hints that her character was originally Wendy still made it into the film, such as the red hoodie she wears in the film during one scene that resembles her robe from the comics.

In the 1996 spin-off to the 1995 film, Kat broke things off with Casper, whilst cousin Spooky came back, bringing with him his 'goil' Pearl ("Poil"), who herself went from being a redhead in the comics to a blond in the animated adaptations.

For visual proof of Casper and Wendy though, I thinking seeing the old Casper cartoons made in the 70's in response to the comic success of the character under Harvey's pen might show you that they were the 'it' couple in the Harvey world:

The Witching Hour

Twin Trouble

Which Witch is Which

Anyway...Kataang 4EVA! XD

Edited on 04/17/2010 3:16pm

edmasterchaos

[5489]Apr 17, 2010
    Look, to make this simple as possible: If Gasper and Wendy had thought or said "I love Wendy/Gasper." or something like that on their own free will then it's kinda like a canon ship since that means they each had feelings that the other would return. If not, it's not a canon ship, if there's enough hints you can ship it, but, Again it's not canon. Canon is that it was stated and/or shown.

WWinnieF

[5490]Apr 17, 2010

edmasterchaos wrote:
    Look, to make this simple as possible: If Gasper and Wendy had thought or said "I love Wendy/Casper." or something like that on their own free will
    Casper did say something to the equivalent of that without saying the L-word in the 1998 film (by saying that being friends doesn't cover how he felt towards her) and we know that Wendy does love Casper, since in her debut, she kisses him for saving her and in every subsequent issue in her comic line would have her on a date with him. That third link to the videos of the two also confirms that the two were at least dating, since Casper turns down a ballgame with cousin Spooky to go on his date with Wendy, causing Spooky to stir up trouble for his cousin and the 'goil' that said cousin was romancing (as Spooky said whilst holding a deadly crab that he was going to use against Wendy and frame Casper for, "I'll crab this romance for good").
    :
    Canon is that it was stated and/or shown.
    You said "stated OR shown", not both. In the case of Casper and Wendy, it was shown, but not stated. That means that it is canon because it was shown, but then, not canon also because it wasn't stated outright.

Anyway, in going back to Avatar, Kataang rules, as does Maiko and the decidedly un-canon Tokka.

Edited on 04/17/2010 8:11pm

edmasterchaos

[5491]Apr 17, 2010

WWinnieF wrote:

edmasterchaos wrote:
    Look, to make this simple as possible: If Gasper and Wendy had thought or said "I love Wendy/Casper." or something like that on their own free will
    Casper did say something to the equivalent of that without saying the L-word in the 1998 film (by saying that being friends doesn't cover how he felt towards her) and we know that Wendy does love Casper, since in her debut, she kisses him for saving her and in every subsequent issue in her comic line would have her on a date with him. That third link to the videos of the two also confirms that the two were at least dating, since Casper turns down a ballgame with cousin Spooky to go on his date with Wendy, causing Spooky to stir up trouble for his cousin and the 'goil' that said cousin was romancing (as Spooky said whilst holding a deadly crab that he was going to use against Wendy and frame Casper for, "I'll crab this romance for good").

Wait, so they Were dating? Bah that's what i get for trying to keep discussing even though you bring up things i never once bothered to read or watch... if they dated and said that they were daiting then yeah it's canon. And, sounds like some hilarious hijinks yes sirrrr....

WWinnieF wrote:
    :
    Canon is that it was stated and/or shown.
    You said "stated OR shown", not both. In the case of Casper and Wendy, it was shown, but not stated. That means that it is canon because it was shown, but then, not canon also because it wasn't stated outright.

Anyway, in going back to Avatar, Kataang rules, as does Maiko and the decidedly un-canon Tokka.

and/or, same thing really doesn't make difference XD It's canon if the characters of the ship go "i love you" and kiss or something, it's canon if the author or someone with similar authority says "Yes they have feelings for eachother, although we won't explore that in the show/novel/comic/whatever they will find love with eachother at some point of their lives." and, it would be canon if they go "i love you" and kiss or something and then the author says in an interview "Yeah they love eachother and stuff and will stay together" though the last would be kidna silly lol.

George pwns Tokka

WWinnieF

[5492]Apr 17, 2010

edmasterchaos wrote:
    Wait, so they Were dating? Bah that's what i get for trying to keep discussing even though you bring up things i never once bothered to read or watch... if they dated and said that they were daiting then yeah it's canon.
    Too bad the Universal version wants to play off Casper as a dead casonova, though. I'd just say that he sticks to one girl--preferrably Wendy, IMO, because she is the only from the actual Harvey world before Universal made the 1995 film--and the people involved leave it at that.
    :
    And, sounds like some hilarious hijinks yes sirrrr....
    Not really. Most of Casper's stuff is pretty tame.
    :
    and/or, same thing really doesn't make difference XD
    There is a difference. "And" being that both are what constitutes canon, whereas "or" means that either one--but not the other--constitutes canon.
    :
    It's canon if the characters of the ship go "i love you" and kiss or something, it's canon if the author or someone with similar authority says "Yes they have feelings for eachother, although we won't explore that in the show/novel/comic/whatever they will find love with eachother at some point of their lives." and, it would be canon if they go "i love you" and kiss or something and then the author says in an interview "Yeah they love eachother and stuff and will stay together" though the last would be kidna silly lol.
    The thing is...the people involved didn't allude to it being canon and the characters didn't say the three words or kiss, BUT the two were dating and said they were dating. But being timeless childhood icons that are children themselves, they couldn't go beyond glances and hand-holding.
    :
    George pwns Tokka
    You sure? I like Tokka and think it's rather cute. But that doesn't mean that I ship it above the canon Sokka ships. I just think it cute.

In fact, the only truly non-existant non-canon ships that I think that I do support whole-heartedly would be an Addams/Munsters crossover putting the Addams' creepy-and-kooky daughter with the Munster's wolfboy son and a chance meeting between the elusive duo of V.I.L.E crime queen Carmen Sandiego and a certain Canadian-dressed Englishman with a magic walking stick. And both of those twosomes are fanon OTPs for those respective franchises, since the former would be a merger of America's first two freaky families and the latter would be the pairing of two 80's/90's edutainment icons who are never found.

Copyrights of the above artwork belong to ThePockyMonster & sailorptah, whilst the franchises themselves belong to their respective creators.

Edited on 04/17/2010 11:21pm
    Edited 12 total times.

snowprincess456

[5493]Apr 18, 2010
    I feel like the conversation going on has very little to do with avatar..haha

WWinnieF

[5494]Apr 18, 2010

snowprincess456 wrote:
    Well, to be fair, there's only so many times one can say 'Kataang' *or* 'Zatara' 4EVA, you know? I decided to liven things up a bit. Besides, the whole conversation was originally supposed to be a comparison discussion between Avatar and other franchise pairs.We just got sidetracked. XD

That said I support the following Nickelodeon Nicktoons as pairs:

1. Chuckie/Angelica & Tommy/Kimi from Rugrats/All Grown Up

The second was alluded to in the "TP&KF" episode of the spin-off series, whilst the first was clearly made known in the original series' official comics for Nick Mag, as well as through Craig Bartlett's creative juices when he worked on the original series as a writer.

2. Zim/Gaz & Dib/Tak from Invader Zim

Though the second is only 'cause Dib crushed on Tak by finding in her a kindred spirit, the first--to Jhonen's chagrin--is as close to being plausible as possible, given the two characters' commonalities and the fact that Richard H. & Melissa F. themselves ship it.

3. Aang/Katara, primarily (although I do find Sokka/Toph and Zuko/Mai--among others--cute) from Avatar

The initial couple is unequivical canon from Word of God (whilst the others are just couplings I find cute).

4. Danny/Sam from Danny Phantom (think Ghostbusters [the ghost trapping bit & the fact that nearly all ghosts are Slimer green in color] meets Beetlejuice [Danny/Sam as a pairing similar to Beetlejuice/Lydia from the BJ animated series were the B-man tamer and the same age as the Deetz girl & the fact that there's a bridge between reality and the ghost world] meets Silver Age Warner Brothers [via basically how Danny became a superhero])

This pair was given the run-around for a while, but became irrefutable canon at the end of the series' run.

5. All other Viacom-related shippings, canon or otherwise, fall to 5th place or below.

Edited on 04/18/2010 11:26am
    Edited 12 total times.

snowprincess456

[5495]Apr 18, 2010
    WWinnieF wrote:

snowprincess456 wrote:
    Well, to be fair, there's only so many times one can say 'Kataang' *or* 'Zatara' 4EVA, you know?

:O *gasp!*

What kind of silly ideals are you bringing to this forum?

WWinnieF

[5496]Apr 18, 2010
    snowprincess456 wrote:
    :O *gasp!*

What kind of silly ideals are you bringing to this forum?
    Smart ones. I ship as much as anybody, but after awhile, it does get tiring, doesn't it?

edmasterchaos

[5497]Apr 18, 2010

Oooh so they dated, holded hands constantly and were in a very child-friendly comic, then it was canon i guess, i don't know from That series.

On the And/Or note, i said "And/Or" which means it can be "and" or "or" doesn't matter which, basically what i meant to say is that out of the two options of being canon, by saying "and/or" i meant that if it meets either one or (by adding the and/) both requirements it's canon.

Ah yes, Carmen San Diego and Waldo, they have 15 sons you know, but nobody could ever find them. XD

And, sorry, but no no no and no. I wasn't getting sidetracked, i simply replied to you, you brought Titans (and Teen Titans), rugrats, tmnt, tv in general and gasper.

And, alright, i accept you shipping that, i myself am a Danny/Sam shipper an- WHAT?! NO NO NO!! Zim and Gaz are NOT material for a couple! They're completely different! Hardly speak to eachother (what, 3 dialogue exchanges?) and Zim is god-knows how many years older than evil 8ish year old Gaz >=O And don't ever use Chagrin in mah interwebz =|

Might aswell post my shippings:
    In no particular order since i can't really rank them:
    Faithshipping (YuseiXAki [Yugioh 5D's]) Takari (HikariXTakato (Digimon 02)) Takumi (TakuyaXIzumi (Digimon Frontier)) TsukuneXOuterMoka (Rosario+Vampire [Though it's getting close to being jossed due to recent developments...])

WWinnieF

[5498]Apr 18, 2010

edmasterchaos wrote:
    i myself am a Danny/Sam shipper an-
    Cool.
    :
    WHAT?! NO NO NO!! Zim and Gaz are NOT material for a couple! They're completely different! Hardly speak to eachother (what, 3 dialogue exchanges?)
    Still, it is better than what most of the fandom comes up with, which is either OCs or homosexual pairings that make little tono sense. At least Zim and Gaz do have commonalities (keeping to themselves, loathing humanity, a fondness for GIR, utilizing piggies in their lifestyles, and enjoyment in watching Dib squirm) and the idea of them together does have backing, since Richard--who is Zim--supports it (as per the DVD commentaries, he finds the pairing cute and appealing) & Melissa--who is Gaz--had always wanted to play the leading lady role (she even auditioned to be Ariel in The Little Mermaid before Jodi Benson received the part). Plus, there had to be basis for why Gaz saved Zim from Dib's first-ever tirade in the pilot episode without real provocation and why--in Dark Harvest--she let Zim not only touch her, but take away her precious Game Slave, and put it inside her body without sending him to her patented Nightmare World of Dooming Doomness of Doom were anyone else to dare try such a suicidal act. And isn't it just a wee bit too coincidental that the hero in Gaz's Piggy Hunter videogame resembles an older Zim in a cape and hat?
    :
    and Zim is god-knows how many years older than evil 8ish year old Gaz >=O
    So? Technically, Aang is 100 years older than Katara, even though he spent those 100 years trapped in an iceberg, and we don't make a big deal about that. Or better still, Tim Burton specialized in putting the living with the dead (13 year old lover of the death stereotype Lydia being nearly married off to several ages old undead pervert Beetlejuice or Emily--The Corpse Bride--crushing on Victor Von Dort), and yet, we haven't made a fuss over that, either. So with that said, despite tabboos (even those that disturb most, myself included), love knows no bounds.
    :
    And don't ever use Chagrin in mah interwebz
    It's not your interwebs. Everyone can participate. As for myself, I like using words like that, thank you. If we're listing our entire list of ships, I'll just post a collage of mine, so I don't have to mention them all.

Fash.jpg picture by TherealRNO

I do ship others, but those are my principle couples, most of them either canon or at least plausible.

Edited on 04/18/2010 4:48pm

edmasterchaos

[5499]Apr 18, 2010

WWinnieF wrote:
    edmasterchaos wrote:

i myself am a Danny/Sam shipper an-

:
    WHAT?! NO NO NO!! Zim and Gaz are NOT material for a couple! They're completely different! Hardly speak to eachother (what, 3 dialogue exchanges?)
    Still, it is better than what most of the fandom comes up with, which is either OCs or homosexual pairings that make little no sense. At least Zim and Gaz do have commonalities (keeping to themselves, loathing humanity, a fondness for GIR, utilizing piggies in their lifestyles, and enjoyment in watching Dib squirm) and has backing, since Richard--who is Zim--supports it (as per the DVD commentaries, he finds the pairing cute and appealing) & Melissa--who is Gaz--had always wanted to play the leading lady role (she even auditioned to be Ariel in The Little Mermaid before Jodi Benson received the part). Plus, there had to be basis for why Gaz saved Zim from Dib's first-ever tirade in the pilot episode without real provocation and why--in Dark Harvest--she let Zim not only touch her, but take away her precious Game Slave, and put it inside her body without sending him to her patented Nightmare World of Dooming Doomness of Doom were anyone else to dare try such a suicidal act. And isn't it just a wee bit too coincidental that the hero in Gaz's Piggy Hunter videogame resembles an older Zim in a cape and hat?

Zim is a well, retarded fella who wishes nothing but respect and acknowledgement from The Tallest, and destruction. But is actually kinda innocent, sure it's because it's on NICK but still Zim doesn't really concive the idea of simply killing people. Gaz on the other hand is extremely intelligent and ruthless, but realistic. And doesn't seem to care for any form of approval despite having a relationship with her father that would lead most ficticious characters to a mentality of wanting to please the father.

And, just cuz their VAs like the shipping doesn't really mean anything.

WWinnieF wrote:
    :
    and Zim is god-knows how many years older than evil 8ish year old Gaz >=O
    So? Technically, Aang is 100 years older than Katara, even though he spent those 100 years trapped in an iceberg, and we don't make a big deal about that. Or better still, Tim Burton specialized in putting the living with the dead (13 year old lover of the death stereotype Lydia being nearly married off to several ages old undead pervert Beetlejuice or Emily--The Corpse Bride--crushing on Victor Von Dort, and yet, we haven't made a fuss over that, either. So with that said, despite tabboos, love knows no bounds, age included.

There's a biiig difference, Zim has lived all his years fully conciouss doing stuff, unlike Aang who was just frozen. And, Tim Burton's a nut, a good nut but still.

WWinnieF wrote:
    :
    And don't ever use Chagrin in mah interwebz
    It's not your interwebs. Everyone can participate. As for myself, I like using words like that, thank you. If we're listing our entire list of ships, I'll just post a collage of mine, so I don't have to mention them all. I do ship others, but those are my principle couples, most of them either canon or at least plausible.
    Yeah but still hatin' Twilight's catchword is something that everyone should do lol.

And, cool i guess.

Plzzzz stop posting so much, counter my arguments but don't bring another franchise or two into it @___@

WWinnieF

[5500]Apr 18, 2010

edmasterchaos wrote:
    Zim is a well, retarded fella who wishes nothing but respect and acknowledgement from The Tallest, and destruction.
    Yeah. But he is ignorant of one crucial flaw: His "mission" was--and is--a shameful lie. The Tallest didn't even know Earth existed until Zim contacted them.
    :
    But is actually kinda innocent, sure it's because it's on NICK but still Zim doesn't really concive the idea of simply killing people.
    Says you. Jhonen envisioned Zim as a ruthless killer, but Nick standards made him change things. And yes, Zim may be a bit...slow...at times, but remember, he's an alien being from a faraway world, so his culture clashes with our human one. He tries his best to appear incognito in regards to his goal, but sometimes, his big mouth and self-inflated ego get in the way. That's why Gaz admitted to Dib that her brother's attempts to stop Zim were stupid and perile, because said alien himself is so horribly bad at what he is trying to do. It doesn't help that the only people to know the truth about Zim would be the Membrane children and whereas Dib is a self-righteous paranoid big-headed doofus who feels that exposing his neighbor to an admittedly stupid public would thrust him into the limelight as a brilliant scientist, Gaz knows Zim is an alien, but thinks nothing of it. Still, if she were to probably choose between Zim or Tak as potential overlord of the planet, she would choose Zim, because Tak is not the sort to be toyed with, whereas Gaz could manipulate Zim into doing her bidding, since even Zim--as much as he would deny this--actually fears her.
    :
    Gaz on the other hand is extremely intelligent and ruthless, but realistic. And doesn't seem to care for any form of approval despite having a relationship with her father that would lead most ficticious characters to a mentality of wanting to please the father.
    She cares for approval. The fact is that she wants Professor Membrane around because he is the only parent she and Dib have. As dark and mysterious as she is, she does have human DNA in her being and that makes her yearn and care, as much as she would loathe the concept, which is another trait she shares with the supposedly uncaring alien. Another thing that Zim and Gaz share is that whilst Zim is considered a defect among his own people, Gaz is considered not only a social outcast among her peers, but she and Dib are also outcasts in the sense that both were malfunctioned experiments of the Professor (see the script of an unaired episode). If the Membrane kids discovered this, Dib might be able to move on because he is a pretty close representation of a young Professor, but Gaz--being female and not at all like her father and dad--would probably snap, driving to the brink of insanity, since the life she lives with her misfit family is all that she knows outside of playing Game Slave endlessly. Zim too, would break if he discovered the truth behind why he was sent to Earth, giving him another bond with the twisted Membrane child.
    :

And, just cuz their VAs like the shipping doesn't really mean anything.

Yes it does. That means that the ship has official backing, whereas most of the other ships are created solely in the minds of the fanbase, since Jhonen himself admitted that pairings in general make him ill.
    :

There's a biiig difference, Zim has lived all his years fully conciouss doing stuff, unlike Aang who was just frozen.

I see no difference, because as we know, our concept of age doesn't apply to Irkens. Whereas Aang is a human--although a very powerful one with previous lives--living out those several years (albeit in a comatose state), Zim's Irken race may only seem ages old to us humans because the Irkens are able to slow the aging process to the point that from their perspective, they're relatively young (and look it, to boot).
    :
    And, Tim Burton's a nut, a good nut but still.
    Nutty or not, his concepts are still accepted, so why should people frown on Zim and Gaz for being a similar concept? Tabboos are selective to the given society anyway, as in some real-life societies, kids are married off to people older than they are for political, economical, and social reasons. And as for the inter-species business, a couple good franchises have paired off humans and aliens (Clark Kent/Lois Lane, Dick Grayson/Koriand'r, Keef/Amy Wong, et al) and we accept pairs between a frog and pig, weirdo and chicken, and various other things, so in the realm of fiction, why should inter-species be any different than an inter-racial relationship if a bond between the characters is present?
    :
    but still hatin' Twilight's catchword is something that everyone should do lol.
    Agreed.
    :
    counter my arguments but don't bring another franchise or two into it
    Making references or allusions to other franchises is my calling card and what I am known for (just ask those from the other forums I inhabit), so there should be no cause for forcing me to change who I am.

Edited on 04/18/2010 5:33pm