We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Foreshadowing Throughout Avatar

Do you think that all the episodes in Avatar are connected in some way?

[1]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 14

There are many things in Avatar that we may not have even thought about. There are things that foreshadow other things. But what exactly are they? How do all of the many stories in Avatar connect to one another? It's up to the Avatards to figure that out.

Write the things that foreshadow what happens next in the show here and discuss about it!

Example:
    In episode 101 (The Boy in the Iceberg), there is a beam of light that shoots into the sky right when they break out Aang. This light looks afully similar to the light that shoots out after Aang was about to take away Ozai's bending in the finale.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

libraman_92

[2]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 10

There are many things in Avatar that we may not have even thought about. There are things that foreshadow other things. But what exactly are they? How do all of the many stories in Avatar connect to one another? It's up to the Avatards to figure that out.

Write the things that foreshadow what happens next in the show here and discuss about it!

Example:
    In episode 101 (The Boy in the Iceberg), there is a beam of light that shoots into the sky right when they break out Aang. This light looks afully similar to the light that shoots out after Aang was about to take away Ozai's bending in the finale.

this thread is kind of win.

edmasterchaos

[3]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 41

Well, this one's pretty obvious, Aang saw the Turtle-Lion on the Library, the pic shows a guy that looks a bit like Roku talking to it and there was a "zing" sound when Aang saw it.

BaiMaoRieji

[4]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 8

The Drill!

Also, more Lion Turtles...

DrAvatar

[5]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 16
    I created a whole thread for Aangs nightmare in "Nightmares and Daydreams". At the end of the nightmare he sees the comet crash into the earth and devestate the landscape. I believe that foreshadowed Ozai's plot to burn the Earth Kingdom to the ground.

[6]Aug 13, 2008

WOW. The one about the drill really interested me A LOT. They really did have everything planned out....it amazes me to no extent.

EDIT:

Oh yes. Nightmares and Daydreams was said to have a whole lot of foreshadowing. If I recall correctly, Bryke even said so themselves.

In the daydream of Aang kissing Katara, when they zoom out at them kissing, it kind of foreshadows the last scene in the series of them zooming out at the kiss.

Edited on 08/13/2008 11:13am

DeeDuck33

[7]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 11

I love you for making this thread. The animation isn't cheap, so when they focus on something, it'll probably be important later. =D

Anyway, remember when Ozai spits fire and bends it out of his hands in the finale to demonstrate how much power he had? He does the exact same move in Avatar Roku: The Winter Solstice Part 2. He even looks the same.

Example #1 - http://screenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/108/117.jpg

Example #2 - http://dvdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/108/549.jpg

Also, I was watching Siege of the North Part One with commentary, and someone (I forget who) said that this ( http://screenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/119/122.jpg ) was supposed to resemble the comet.

Axrendale

[8]Aug 13, 2008
    This may be more symbolic than foreshadowing, but did anyone else notice that in DoBS part 2, after Zuko redirected lightning at Ozai and knocked him back into a wall, the Fire nation banner that had been hanging on the wall fell down and was burned in the fire that had sprung up around Ozai? Zuko leaving to teach Aang firebending marked the begining of the end for the Fire nation, at least, that's how I see it.

edmasterchaos

[9]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 41
    Axrendale wrote:
    This may be more symbolic than foreshadowing, but did anyone else notice that in DoBS part 2, after Zuko redirected lightning at Ozai and knocked him back into a wall, the Fire nation banner that had been hanging on the wall fell down and was burned in the fire that had sprung up around Ozai? Zuko leaving to teach Aang firebending marked the begining of the end for the Fire nation, at least, that's how I see it.
    That's more symbolic yeah, but it's a good point of view.

libraman_92

[10]Aug 13, 2008
    Axrendale wrote:

kind of, but not in the same phrase

1up5hr00m

[12]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 2

yeah, this is another symbolic part of avatar (or can be viewed as a weak foreshadowing though) but why is it that the past 3 avatars (including aang) had to stop an evil tyrant from trying to take over. Obviously its a cartoon, and cartoons have to show good and evil but come on. Aang had to take Ozai, Roku was going to kill Sozin, Kioshi killed Chin the Great... I know conflict makes a good story, but 3 generations of avatars having to take down a leader/king because they wanted to take over? really?

Im2Good

[13]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 6
    1up5hr00m wrote:

yeah, this is another symbolic part of avatar (or can be viewed as a weak foreshadowing though) but why is it that the past 3 avatars (including aang) had to stop an evil tyrant from trying to take over. Obviously its a cartoon, and cartoons have to show good and evil but come on. Aang had to take Ozai, Roku was going to kill Sozin, Kioshi killed Chin the Great... I know conflict makes a good story, but 3 generations of avatars having to take down a leader/king because they wanted to take over? really?

Well if those leaders/kings werent trying to take over it wouldnt happen.And the avatar's job is to keep peace and balance in the world not let one nation take over another

isabelwhatx

[14]Aug 13, 2008
    What I thought was interesting was at the beginning of the finale Aang roars and spews fire out of his mouth. Towards the end of the finale, while in the Avatar state, he does a similar move except much more powerful. I found that interesting. Don't know the significance, though.

Axrendale

[15]Aug 13, 2008
    1up5hr00m wrote:

Technically, Aang and Roku were both fighting the same enemy that Roku failed to stop, with Ozai carrying on Sozin's heritage. So it's really just two major threats to the world, and with Kyoshi it was not so much a threat to the world as it was an internal squabble in the Earth Kingdom.

isabelwhatx

[16]Aug 13, 2008
    Ehem. In the first episode, Aang shows a large attraction for Katara and a need to be with her. I think we all know what that foreshadows...

Dafoose

[17]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 19

Great thread.

Also, I noticed foreshadowing.

Like the Ember Island Players foreshadowed fights with Azula and fights with Ozai. XD

isabelwhatx

[18]Aug 13, 2008
    Ready for some Captain Obvious? When Aang saw that girl in the swamp forest with the flying pig. Then, later, he met Toph. WOW SHOCKER.

TheGreatBishop

[19]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 3
    1up5hr00m wrote:

People in power crave more power simple as that.

Look at real world history, in each generation is there not someone who wants more power than what he has?

Chaospyro

[20]Aug 13, 2008
    In the episode Avatar state, when we really just get introduced to azula's chracter with a crazed look she says something like "almost isn't good enough". This could foreshadow her breakdown later, when doubts start to conjure about her perfection.