We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Foreshadowing Throughout Avatar

Do you think that all the episodes in Avatar are connected in some way?

[81]Aug 29, 2008
    • level: 14
    Chaospyro wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:
    kimgrl1216 wrote:
    I'm not sure if this foreshadow or not but in episode 12 the storm when Iroh looks away when Zuko is burned by his father we se Azula smirking. Did anyone notice that.
    It's one of my favourite scenes. It's not foreshadowing as much as learning about the characters.

We haven't really seen Azula personality before this, so in this scene we see what her personality could be same way we see what type of person Zhao is, cause if I'm not mistaken he had a look of glee on his face too. So its really a snippet view of Azula's personality than full foreshadowing I guess, but its probably bit of a grey area.

Looks like they planned to have Azula in there too.
    They planned a whole lot, and that's the point of this thread: to figure out exactly how much they did plan.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ratraccoon

[82]Aug 29, 2008
    • level: 5

I just noticed that that brief confrontation between Sozin and Roku not only foreshadowed the fight between Ozai and Aang but some of the moves were similar.

Both are getting blasted away with airbending. (BTW that has to be the most ironic place for that nick logo)

Both are getting slammed against something.

And there is that "Oh, crap!" look.

And Roku did go into the Avatar State at one point.

As well as pin him down with earthbending and sparing his life. I would like to show a picture of Aang doing that but I can't find one.

isabelwhatx

[83]Aug 29, 2008
    I think it's more, "Those moves are so epic they have to be used more than once" than foreshadowing, but good find!

katrah88

[84]Aug 29, 2008
    • level: 11
    SalKing2 wrote:
    In the episode Siege of the North (Part 1), Katara, Yue, and Aang think about how to defeat the Fire Nation. Yue says Aang can get wisdom and advice from the spirits, while Aang says they could release a huge spirit monster to defeat the Fire Nation. Yue and Katara give Aang strange looks, though, so Aang goes in pursuit to find some advice from the spirits. In the end, however, a huge monster spirit is what really defeats the Fire Nation!

Not only this. In Phoenix King (Sozin's Comet pt 1), when they finish with Ozai's baby pics and Aang says something about Gluebending and binding Ozai's arms and legs so he couldn't bend anymore (his alternative to killing him). Zuko gets sarcastic and the rest of the group laughs but Aang actually does restrain Ozai and prevents him from bending any longer (instead of killing.. but you already knew that).

Good thread by the way it actually made me post something since the finale.

isabelwhatx

[85]Aug 29, 2008
    Well, pretty much EVERYTHING in the finale and the few episodes before foreshadowed Aang not killing Ozai, but that one particular thing I didn't catch. Nice find

katrah88

[86]Aug 29, 2008
    Thanks.. and yea... I never thought Aang would kill him. I think the bits of foreshadowing might have planted that seed in my head long ago.

isabelwhatx

[87]Aug 29, 2008
    Throughout the series Aang has been developed to specifically NOT kill Ozai. He has always been against violence and if he chose to commit the most violent act of all after episode after episode of a disgust towards it we would've ALL been beyond disappointed.

katrah88

[88]Aug 29, 2008
    I know I would have. I really liked like the fact that he was able to do everything with being violent. But, I do recall quite a few on this forum that were heated because Aang didn't play as offensive ground when in battle.

tomtitan

[89]Aug 30, 2008
    • level: 19
    The whole story of Roku and Sozin was supposed to be analogous to Aang and Ozai, because Roku made a mistake which allowed Sozin to start the war, and Aang had to fix his mistake to end the war.

But the thing is, Roku's 'mistake' is not killing Sozin on account of their friendship, when, in the end, Aang found a way to win the war without killing Ozai.

WiseLad

[90]Aug 30, 2008
    Roku should have at least taken Sozin from power, and made someone else the firelord

Axrendale

[91]Aug 30, 2008
    • level: 10

WiseLad wrote:
    Roku should have at least taken Sozin from power, and made someone else the firelord

Well remember, Sozin was Roku's lifelong friend. He had faith in his friend to the extent of being able to do the right thing - AKA giving up his dreams of world conquest. A mistake, as it turned out.

Edited on 08/30/2008 10:36am

gilvatar

[92]Aug 30, 2008
    • level: 17
    Axrendale wrote:

WiseLad wrote:

Well remember, Sozin was Roku's lifelong friend. He had faith in his friend to an extent, being able to do the right thing, AKA giving up his dreams of world conquest. A mistake, as it turned out.

And he didn't know how to tak ehis power.

Ratraccoon

[93]Aug 30, 2008

WiseLad wrote:

I think part of the problem was that Sozin was the only surviving member of the royal family at the time. It might explain part of the reason why he had waited so late in life to have kids.

tomtitan

[94]Aug 30, 2008
    • level: 19
    gilvatar wrote:
    Axrendale wrote:

WiseLad wrote:

Well remember, Sozin was Roku's lifelong friend. He had faith in his friend to an extent, being able to do the right thing, AKA giving up his dreams of world conquest. A mistake, as it turned out.

And he didn't know how to tak ehis power.
    Not take his bending power, take his political power, as in, dethrone him.

And to reply to that, I'm not sure the Avatar has that kind of power either!

ToonGal

[95]Aug 30, 2008
    • level: 18
    More Guru foreshadowing!

As you all know, Aang was supposed to be sent to the Eastern Air Temple to complete his training. Oddly enough, he took a huge step in completing his training by attempting to master the Avatar State there. When the monks told him that he was the Avatar, Aang wasn't spiritually prepared to accept that role. By going through his chakras and unlocking them one by one, he was becoming more spiritually prepared to deal with being the Avatar. He was losing much of the baggage, so to speak, that was keeping him from fulfilling his duties. However, the thing that ultimately helped plunge the world into a century of war was the same thing that ultimately led to the fall of Ba-Sing-Se: Aang's attachment to his loved ones. This is further emphasized by the fact that the Guru referred to Katara as having the love of his people (or something like that). Talk about planning!
    Edited on 08/30/2008 5:12pm

ross93

[96]Aug 30, 2008
    what about when suki and azula were fighting you could tell that something horrible would come out of that.

and if this has already been said im sorry i didnt look at the other 5 pages

Ratraccoon

[97]Sep 4, 2008

Holy crap! There is even forshadowing in the chibi shorts!

Ratraccoon

[98]Sep 6, 2008

What no one but me found it hilarious that there was forshadowing in "School Time Shipping"?

BwayJ

[99]Sep 7, 2008
    • level: 8

In "Siege of the North, Part I," Aang battles a Fire Navy ship and destroys one of the catapults in a way similar to how he will destroy the drill in Book 2.

http://dvdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/119/328.jpg

http://dvdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/119/330.jpg

I posted that first image purely by accident. I have no idea how I did it, or else I would have posted the other two.

[100]Sep 7, 2008
    Ratraccoon wrote:

What no one but me found it hilarious that there was forshadowing in "School Time Shipping"?

*dies of laughter*

That is pure gold, man.