We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Foreshadowing Throughout Avatar

Do you think that all the episodes in Avatar are connected in some way?

Axrendale

[21]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 10

Chaospyro wrote:
    In the episode Avatar state, when we really just get introduced to azula's chracter with a crazed look she says something like "almost isn't good enough". This could foreshadow her breakdown later, when doubts start to conjure about her perfection.

Possibly, but I don't think lack of perfection was what brought Azula down. It was more paranoia that everyone was going to betray her.

Speaking of Azula though, that moment and many others in season 2 and 3 established just how much she obsesses over her hair. Which was what made the scene where she cuts it so signifigant. I think that Azula's hair was a metaphor for the control she exercised over everyone, herself most of all - hair was rigidly controlled, up until The Southern Raiders, when for the first time it starts to be let down a bit. It was back in control at the start of the finale, but then it was let down completely, and was then hacked up completly. But hair can grow back, can be reshaped, with time.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

isabelwhatx

[22]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 14
    That's a great observation. But, if you go by that logic, by Azula cutting off her hair she brought this insanity upon herself. I don't know if I agree with that or not. On one hand, it really was her fault. She shouldn't have abused her power like that and left herself so vulnerable. But I think her insanity runs deeper than her friends betrayal. I don't know, I'm still not sure what to make out of Azula's break down.

Axrendale

[23]Aug 13, 2008

isabelwhatx wrote:
    That's a great observation. But, if you go by that logic, by Azula cutting off her hair she brought this insanity upon herself. I don't know if I agree with that or not. On one hand, it really was her fault. She shouldn't have abused her power like that and left herself so vulnerable. But I think her insanity runs deeper than her friends betrayal. I don't know, I'm still not sure what to make out of Azula's break down.

She did bring things on herself, and at the same time she didn't. I could go on about that for a while, but basically, the part of the hair metaphor where Azula cuts it up was IMO symbolic of her banishing all of her supporters. Which is ironic really, because if she hadn't done that, she would have been fine. Once Zuko and Katara landed and challenged her, Azula could have simply have refused, and ordered the guards to drag them off to prison, just like she did in CoD (or she could have just ordered them executed). Instead, the only people left for her to order about were five weak looking Fire Sages, forcing her to try and deal with it herself through trickery.

Edited on 08/13/2008 8:13pm

Breaker94

[24]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 24
    blue and foreshadowing through the whole series

isabelwhatx

[25]Aug 13, 2008
    Breaker94 wrote:
    blue and foreshadowing through the whole series

? Explain, please.

ToonGal

[26]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 18
    In The Swamp, Aang temporarily loses Appa. Once he realizes that everything is connected, he is able to track down Appa by tapping into the energy of the swamp. In Appa's Lost Days, Guru Pathik helps Appa find Aang in a similar fashion by tapping into the energy between them.
    Edited on 08/13/2008 8:39pm

replay104

[27]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 5

I've noticed this one but i've never seen anyone else mention it.

In the King of Omashu when Aang first realizes who Bumi is Bumi tells him that he needs to defeat the fire lord. But when he defeats him he needs to think outside of the box.

Then when everyone is telling Aang he needs to kill Ozai he just takes away his bending.

Huh huh??

sportsdude206

[28]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 2

isabelwhatx wrote:
    Ready for some Captain Obvious? When Aang saw that girl in the swamp forest with the flying pig. Then, later, he met Toph. WOW SHOCKER.

Speaking of his vision in the swamp, didn't the protector/swamp monster guy say that the swamp showed its visitors people they have lost or will lose? So doesn't that mean toph will die while she is still a kid?

Back to foreshadowing:

This is pretty weak but...

In the fortuneteller, Aang had to face a huge volcano, similar to the one Roku had to confront. However, unlike Roku Aang succeeded, just as he succeeded in restoring balance to the world whereas Roku failed

tawn11

[29]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 3
    In 302, The Headband, Mai and Zuko were having a good time, but then got interrupted by Azula. When Azula asked Mai to leave, she got up and walked passed Azula and as she did, she glared at Azula. I thought this kind of foreshadowed the betrayal in The Boiling Rock. Mai just wants to be with Zuko, and Azula doesnt stop her.

DeeDuck33

[30]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 11
    tawn11 wrote:
    In 302, The Headband, Mai and Zuko were having a good time, but then got interrupted by Azula. When Azula asked Mai to leave, she got up and walked passed Azula and as she did, she glared at Azula. I thought this kind of foreshadowed the betrayal in The Boiling Rock. Mai just wants to be with Zuko, and Azula doesnt stop her.

Also, in The Guru, when Azula was talking to the king about not being able to trust those closet to him, Mai and Ty Lee shared a glance.

Axrendale

[31]Aug 13, 2008

I've posted this one about a million times on the shipping thread, but at the end of "Bato of the Water Tribe", The writers made a point of inserting a scene where Aang gives a Water Tribe betrothal neckalce to Katara. Not to mention in the previous episode, where he did his merry best to fashion her a necklace to replace her stolen one.

Shipping foreshadowing?

speechless8582

[32]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 12
    Axrendale wrote:

I've posted this one about a million times on the shipping thread, but at the end of "Bato of the Water Tribe", The writers made a point of inserting a scene where Aang gives a Water Tribe betrothal neckalce to Katara. Not to mention in the previous episode, where he did his merry best to fashion her a necklace to replace her stolen one.

Shipping foreshadowing?

i think everything about kataang was foreshadowed. XD

i know this might sound weird, but i knew Kataang would happen since "The Fortune Teller" when Katara said "I hope he's tall." I know its not foreshadowing..its just ironic...but yeah...

Ritster17

[33]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 7
    I knew Kaatang would happen ever since I first saw the trailer for Avatar.

Chaospyro

[34]Aug 14, 2008
    Axrendale wrote:

Chaospyro wrote:
    In the episode Avatar state, when we really just get introduced to azula's chracter with a crazed look she says something like "almost isn't good enough". This could foreshadow her breakdown later, when doubts start to conjure about her perfection.

Possibly, but I don't think lack of perfection was what brought Azula down. It was more paranoia that everyone was going to betray her.

Speaking of Azula though, that moment and many others in season 2 and 3 established just how much she obsesses over her hair. Which was what made the scene where she cuts it so signifigant. I think that Azula's hair was a metaphor for the control she exercised over everyone, herself most of all - hair was rigidly controlled, up until The Southern Raiders, when for the first time it starts to be let down a bit. It was back in control at the start of the finale, but then it was let down completely, and was then hacked up completly. But hair can grow back, can be reshaped, with time.

Thats true and nice find about the hair symbolism.

Could doubt about her perfection lead to paranoia though? I guess from the start we saw that Azula can be enraged very easily for the smallest mistakes that she makes, so when she made a reasonably big mistake by not anticipating her closest friend's betrayal, it was set up so that her emotional break down was inevitable.

Edited on 08/14/2008 2:59am

SalKing2

[35]Aug 14, 2008
    • level: 37
    In the episode Siege of the North (Part 1), Katara, Yue, and Aang think about how to defeat the Fire Nation. Yue says Aang can get wisdom and advice from the spirits, while Aang says they could release a huge spirit monster to defeat the Fire Nation. Yue and Katara give Aang strange looks, though, so Aang goes in pursuit to find some advice from the spirits. In the end, however, a huge monster spirit is what really defeats the Fire Nation!

[36]Aug 14, 2008
    In the Blue Spirit (113) Aang asks Zuko is maybe someday they could be friends. Zuko shoots fire at him and soon afer being angry, his look turns to a thinking expression. Pretty self explanatory.

DeeDuck33

[37]Aug 14, 2008
    • level: 11
    In The Avatar State, Roku stresses to Aang why he cannot die while he is in the avatar state. In Crossroads of Destiny, Aang dies in the avatar state. That was a pretty big hint at what was going to happen.

dantedones

[38]Aug 14, 2008
    • level: 24

I was wondering what the flying pig was and its importance

ToonGal

[39]Aug 14, 2008
    • level: 18
    I think it's just the symbol of the Bei Fong family.

Ratraccoon

[40]Aug 14, 2008
    • level: 5

DeeDuck33 wrote:

I love you for making this thread. The animation isn't cheap, so when they focus on something, it'll probably be important later. =D

Anyway, remember when Ozai spits fire and bends it out of his hands in the finale to demonstrate how much power he had? He does the exact same move in Avatar Roku: The Winter Solstice Part 2. He even looks the same.

Example #1 - http://screenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/108/117.jpg

Example #2 - http://dvdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/108/549.jpg

Also, I was watching Siege of the North Part One with commentary, and someone (I forget who) said that this ( http://screenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/119/122.jpg ) was supposed to resemble the comet.

Actually this was my first thought when I saw Ozai demonstrate his power...

They are even wearing the same clothes!