We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

ATLA Live Action Film: ** Gran Gran & Yue Casting** UPDATED 04/05/2009**

Will you see the teaser trailer?

DrAvatar

[41]Feb 6, 2008
    • level: 16
    I'd better update this thread soon.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DrAvatar

[42]Feb 6, 2008

Here are the latest rumors/developments:

Ether Brent is listed on imdbpro as being Sokka. There is no official confirmation or info about this actor or if it was the person that Greg Baldwin was referring to.

Supposably casting has not officially begun but there is a rumor that an actor has been attached to the role of Aang.

A guy named Noah Hunt is said to have auditioned for the role of Zuko. He is about 17 years old.

Edited on 02/06/2008 9:15pm

captaindillo

[43]Feb 6, 2008
    • level: 22
    Any news on writers or a director?

DrAvatar

[44]Feb 6, 2008

Okay, somebody on imdb posted saying that an actor has been attached to the role of Aang. Here is what the guy on imdb posted:

I did some research myself and managed to contact Kevin Huvane from Creative Artists Agency (CAA) and beleive me when i say it was DIFFICULT! He did confirm to me that castings HAVE NOT commenced (i'm pretty sure he's telling me the truth), except for some actors which have already been attached. Unfortunately, the main character, AANG, has already been assigned to attached Australian actor, Jonathan Nguyen, so i guess the rumors are true. I'll try to phone again to ask about the casting information. AVATAR ROCKS!!!!!

Apparently the rumor that Jonathan Nguyen was attached had started before this was posted. Anyway Jonathan Nguyen is an Australian Actor and is about 18 years old. He seems to have had minor roles and in is in an upcoming movie but he was also a minor one episode character in "Unfabulous" so he has technically worked with Nickelodeon before.

Just remember he is only attached and it is still early on and this could change at any time. Theres still a lot of work to be on the movie.

Edited on 02/06/2008 9:32pm

DrAvatar

[45]Feb 6, 2008

captaindillo wrote:
    M. Night Shyamalan is directing and writing with the assistance of the creators.

There is another producer who is named Scott Aversano. Here is an article about him a written a while back: http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/08-21-2006/0004419633&EDATE=

This info was found by Avatar_Mom at Avatarspirit.net and credit goes to her for finding this.

Edited on 02/06/2008 9:32pm

ReflectTheStorm

[46]Feb 6, 2008
    • level: 6
    Darn, couldn't find any pictures of either.

DrAvatar

[47]Feb 6, 2008
    ReflectTheStorm wrote:
    Darn, couldn't find any pictures of either.
    Of who?

captaindillo

[48]Feb 6, 2008
    • level: 22
    DrAvatar wrote:

captaindillo wrote:
    M. Night Shyamalan is directing and writing with the assistance of the creators.

There is another producer who is named Scott Aversano. Here is an article about him a written a while back: http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/08-21-2006/0004419633&EDATE=

This info was found by Avatar_Mom at Avatarspirit.net and credit goes to her for finding this.

Thanks.

Spacerac

[49]Feb 7, 2008
    • level: 15
    If the Johnathan Nyugen detail is correct, we might be on our way to seeing some undiscovered talent in this film. However, the actor playing Aang might be a little too old IMO.

Psyche987

[50]Feb 7, 2008
    • level: 8

Spacerac wrote:
    If the Johnathan Nyugen detail is correct, we might be on our way to seeing some undiscovered talent in this film. However, the actor playing Aang might be a little too old IMO.

IMO too. The guy is 17.

Psyche987

[51]Feb 7, 2008
    [QUOTE="That_ool_hick"]
    full1820house wrote:

You need to put sokka`s actor on there,because it was confirmed that the person who`s playing himis greek.

btw,nice idea

Well, to be honest I kind of do have an issue if the movie has all causacian looking actors walking around in asian suits....

I think Katara should look like an Inuit, aswell as sokka and all kinds of watertribe people. I think Zuko and other firenation people from around the capital should look like chinese and japanese people from certain areas. Aang should look like a Thai/Shri Lankan and so on...because the setting is supposed to be in an asian looking world.

Edited on 02/07/2008 8:58am

Spacerac

[52]Feb 7, 2008
    • level: 15
    We should probably not talk about that aspect as it gets ugly.

Psyche987

[53]Feb 7, 2008

Spacerac wrote:

I don't know how, because the characters in the show are asianlooking because the world they 'live in' is asian-ish.

Japanthewoman

[54]Feb 7, 2008
    • level: 6

Psyche987 wrote:
    Spacerac wrote:
    I don't know how, because the characters in the show are asianlooking because the world they 'live in' is asian-ish.

Nyugen sounds like a pretty Asian last name to me. Chinese, I think. Just because these people are from Western countries doens't automatically make them western looking. And in fact, Australia has a lot of diversity. There's not all bogans and blond beach babes. There are a ton of Asian immigrants.

If the guy rumored to be Sokka is Greek then I could still potentially see him looking alright for the role. I reiterate, just because they come from a Western country doesn't make them Western. People immigrate and emmigrate all over the world, not just to America.

LeonMorado

[55]Feb 7, 2008
    • level: 19
    Japanthewoman wrote:
    Nyugen sounds like a pretty Asian last name to me.
    i think nguyen is vietnamese. the name, that is.

chibikangaroo

[56]Feb 7, 2008
    • level: 1
    The fact that they are making this as a live action movie concerns me greatly. There are many problems with trying to make an animated world into a live action world, and I won't go into all of them right here. There have been a lot of strides in CGI capabilities, but I just don't see how they will be able to make all of the fantastical elements of this world (the various strange kinds of animals such as Appa and momo, the bending, the flying etc...) in a credible manner. For example, imagine the character of Toph in a live action movie, earthbending through the ground or the side of a hill or something. The kinds of feats performed by the characters (in many instances, children) in the Avatar world are of epic proportions. I have a fear it will come off as fake if they just throw in CGI, transforming people between CGI characters and real people whenever something amazing is about to happen (which is quite often in the Avatar world). I think that they are trying to catch onto the Harry Potter magic like everyone else. We've had this slew of Potter clones, with British kids (mostly), with everyone just trying to get a piece of the fad. I hope that this is not an effort to capitalize on that as well. I also hope that they don't just make another one of those Orientalism exploitation type films that we have seen hollywood love to make now and then.

LeonMorado

[57]Feb 7, 2008
    chibikangaroo wrote:
    The fact that they are making this as a live action movie concerns me greatly. There are many problems with trying to make an animated world into a live action world, and I won't go into all of them right here. There have been a lot of strides in CGI capabilities, but I just don't see how they will be able to make all of the fantastical elements of this world (the various strange kinds of animals such as Appa and momo, the bending, the flying etc...) in a credible manner. For example, imagine the character of Toph in a live action movie, earthbending through the ground or the side of a hill or something. The kinds of feats performed by the characters (in many instances, children) in the Avatar world are of epic proportions. I have a fear it will come off as fake if they just throw in CGI, transforming people between CGI characters and real people whenever something amazing is about to happen (which is quite often in the Avatar world). I think that they are trying to catch onto the Harry Potter magic like everyone else. We've had this slew of Potter clones, with British kids (mostly), with everyone just trying to get a piece of the fad. I hope that this is not an effort to capitalize on that as well. I also hope that they don't just make another one of those Orientalism exploitation type films that we have seen hollywood love to make now and then.
    cgi effects are constantly improving. have you seen transformers? they'll have no problem translating bending into cgi.

tomtitan

[58]Feb 7, 2008
    chibikangaroo wrote:
    shyalalalalalallamaman is doing it in LA because he has no experience in animation, most directors haven't, if shyalaman did an animation it would be quite bad, there's a lot of potential in the LA movies.

Psyche987

[59]Feb 7, 2008
    Japanthewoman wrote:

Psyche987 wrote:
    Spacerac wrote:

Nyugen sounds like a pretty Asian last name to me. Chinese, I think. Just because these people are from Western countries doens't automatically make them western looking. And in fact, Australia has a lot of diversity. There's not all bogans and blond beach babes. There are a ton of Asian immigrants.

If the guy rumored to be Sokka is Greek then I could still potentially see him looking alright for the role. I reiterate, just because they come from a Western country doesn't make them Western. People immigrate and emmigrate all over the world, not just to America.

That's very true . And who says Greek or Indian or what else looking isn't right. As long as it looks asian-ish lol. I still can't imagine anything fitting anyway to the live-action version. All I see is European people in 'disney ish' too colorful suits and such...or even asian looking people with very big Texan accents that just doesn't seem credible to me or something. And yeah, the CGI and such.....I don't trust that stuff.

avrurakinninami

[60]Feb 7, 2008
    • level: 21
    Psyche987 wrote:

Spacerac wrote:

IMO too. The guy is 17.

At least their ages wont be a problem Unless they have a 19 years old Katara and a 21 years old Zuko.