We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

ATLA Live Action Film: ** Gran Gran & Yue Casting** UPDATED 04/05/2009**

Will you see the teaser trailer?

Spacerac

[61]Feb 7, 2008
    • level: 15
    Psyche987 wrote:

Spacerac wrote:
    We should probably not talk about that aspect as it gets ugly.

I don't know how, because the characters in the show are asianlooking because the world they 'live in' is asian-ish.

I didn't mean that, I mean one of the reasons this thread was created was because a thread about Sokka's actor being greek caused a somewhat racial flame war. That's what I was referring to.

Anyway, I don't see what the big deal is with CGI. I think it's improving like LeonMorado said and it's obvious that it has to be used because where in the world are you going to find a flying bison and a winged lemur?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Psyche987

[62]Feb 7, 2008
    • level: 8
    Spacerac wrote:
    Psyche987 wrote:

Spacerac wrote:

I don't know how, because the characters in the show are asianlooking because the world they 'live in' is asian-ish.

I didn't mean that, I mean one of the reasons this thread was created was because a thread about Sokka's actor being greek caused a somewhat racial flame war. That's what I was referring to. Anyway, I don't see what the big deal is with CGI. I think it's improving like LeonMorado said and it's obvious that it has to be used because where in the world are you going to find a flying bison and a winged lemur?

Some scientific fidgetting maybe?

They could make this:

literal
    ***SPOILER***

Though CGI doesn't all look too bad these days, I still see the issues of it still looking 'computer-ish'...and I like the 2d figures so much...

Edited on 02/07/2008 1:59pm

KikitheFiend

[63]Feb 7, 2008
    • level: 14
    It'll be nteresting to see how it converts to live action especially as the majority of the cast are kids...

Spacerac

[64]Feb 7, 2008
    • level: 15
    Psyche987 wrote:
    Spacerac wrote:
    Anyway, I don't see what the big deal is with CGI. I think it's improving like LeonMorado said and it's obvious that it has to be used because where in the world are you going to find a flying bison and a winged lemur?
    Some scientific fidgetting maybe? They could make this:
    ***SPOILER***
    Though CGI doesn't all look too bad these days, I still see the issues of it still looking 'computer-ish'...and I like the 2d figures so much...
    Good God, what the hell is that?!!

KikitheFiend

[65]Feb 7, 2008
    Is that an ear?!!!

carlonguiz

[66]Feb 7, 2008
    • level: 3

DRAVATAR,

MY NAME IS KARLA I AM A NEW USER, PLEASE COULD YOU TELL WHEN YOU CALLED TO CAA? AND IF YOU ANY OTHER INFORMATION ABOUT THE CASTING?

THANKS

KARLA

carlonguiz

[67]Feb 7, 2008
    carlonguiz wrote:

DRAVATAR,

MY NAME IS KARLA I AM A NEW USER, PLEASE COULD YOU TELL WHEN YOU CALLED TO CAA? AND IF YOU ANY OTHER INFORMATION ABOUT THE CASTING?

THANKS

KARLA

IF YOU HAVE, SORRY MY MISTAKE

carlonguiz

[68]Feb 7, 2008
    DrAvatar, WHEN DID YOU CALL? BECAUSE I AM TRYING TO CONTACT AND GET SOME INFORMATION ABOUT THE CASTING

Spike815

[69]Feb 7, 2008
    KikitheFiend wrote:
    Is that an ear?!!!

A human ear. Well I guess the rat has two too...

the_mental_teen

[70]Feb 7, 2008
    • level: 12
    I actually didn't know Paramount and MTV were also behind this; my hopes are now higher for this film (I didn't like MTV films, but after The Longest Yard, I changed my mind).

I think they should have at least 1 or 2 experienced and known actors in this. It'll be hard (since most characters are kids), but maybe for older roles, they can get the guys we know. I won't name them since we all know at 2 at the top of our head, but if they could be in it, it could attract lots of extra attention.

DrAvatar

[71]Feb 7, 2008
    • level: 16

I did not contact the CAA, someone else did and posted what he found out on imdb. I was just relaying the information.

I do know that only kids with agents are being cast and that the main casting has not officially begun,

Sorry about the confusion.

suss2it

[72]Feb 7, 2008
    carlonguiz wrote:
    DrAvatar, WHEN DID YOU CALL? BECAUSE I AM TRYING TO CONTACT AND GET SOME INFORMATION ABOUT THE CASTING
    Must you type in caps? And this movie doesn't seem to shaping out to good, but its not even out yet so who am I to judge?

DrAvatar

[73]Feb 7, 2008
    • level: 16

Update on Jonathan Nguyen. According to the source, Jonathan is "attached to the movie".

Here is a definition of attatched: The actor is commited to the film. Often, having a major cast member attacthed is a preresiquite to get it greenlit.

So if the source from imdb is correct and he is indeed attatched we will most likely play the role of Aang. Of course, this could always change too.

Japanthewoman

[74]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 6

chibikangaroo wrote:
    ...For example, imagine the character of Toph in a live action movie, earthbending through the ground or the side of a hill or something. The kinds of feats performed by the characters (in many instances, children) in the Avatar world are of epic proportions. I have a fear it will come off as fake if they just throw in CGI, transforming people between CGI characters and real people whenever something amazing is about to happen...

I don't think they would need to turn Toph's character into a CGI person in order to get earthbending effects. The actrass would just have to move in the manner that Toph does in the show and all the CGI would be done to the earth around her. There might be a little bit (well, maybe a lot) of green screening done for effects and I'm not too concerned about that since green screen technology has advanced to a point it can blend very well into a movie.

the_mental_teen wrote:
    I think they should have at least 1 or 2 experienced and known actors in this. It'll be hard (since most characters are kids), but maybe for older roles, they can get the guys we know. I won't name them since we all know at 2 at the top of our head, but if they could be in it, it could attract lots of extra attention.

I agree and disagree with this. I agree because adding a familiar, mainstream name will make it more likely to bring attention to it. Like how Sean Connery was the only big name in League of Extraordiany Gentlement. However, this may not be in the best interest of the movie. The big name has to fit the role and if it doesn't than I think I'd prefer to see a cast full of unknowns than a bunch of big names in a piece of crap.

tomtitan

[75]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 19
    hai guys! i've pm'ed high00lord and asked him to pin this thread, super special awesome or what?

on topic: shyalalalalalallamaman, ha! that never gets old!

Amity_Phantom

[77]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 10
    the_mental_teen wrote:
    I actually didn't know Paramount and MTV were also behind this; my hopes are now higher for this film (I didn't like MTV films, but after The Longest Yard, I changed my mind).

Viacom owns Paramount.

kosy1

[78]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 4
    Spacerac wrote:
    Psyche987 wrote:

Spacerac wrote:

I didn't mean that, I mean one of the reasons this thread was created was because a thread about Sokka's actor being greek caused a somewhat racial flame war. That's what I was referring to.

Look at movies with huge CGI content, like Beowulf and particularly Golden Compass where they had to work with kids and their Daemons. I think they did a pretty convincing job even though the movie wasn't rated too highly (I personally Loved it). If they can do realistic dragons in movies such as D-Wars and Aragorn, Winged Lemurs, flying Bison should be a pretty easy.

the_mental_teen

[80]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 12
    Amity_Phantom wrote:
    the_mental_teen wrote:

Viacom owns Paramount.

Oh, sorry for being a n00b, lol.

Viacom friggin' owns everything. What's next, Microsoft?!