We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

ATLA Live Action Film: ** Gran Gran & Yue Casting** UPDATED 04/05/2009**

Will you see the teaser trailer?

TheFungusyOne

[101]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 12
    Psyche987 wrote:

DrAvatar wrote:
    maximusgh wrote:
    Jonathan Nguyen is Asian thats all that matters. Im sick of all these White Heros. They get annoying! If they can make Elijiah Woods look like Frodo Baggins then im sure they can make Jonathan Nguyen look 12 or 13.
    A lot of people say that having an Asian actor(s) is no big deal. But it is a big deal. What was the last major movie or TV show to star an Asian actor? Now think to the last time you saw a kids movie/TV show with an Asian in the lead role? Its not that easy to think of one, and I cant think of one at all. Now consider the fact that they are targeting Asians specifically and it is likely that more that one role will be filled with an Asian actor. This will be different from any Nick Movie ever made.

Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Jackie Chan....ow and Brandon Lee....uh, let's forget about the last one . And well.....there's a LOT of great Korean, Japanese and Chinese, Thai movies out there. And don't forget about the guy from Heroes. Also that 'guy who appears everywhere but I forget his name'; the korean actor who played that guy in LOST and you could see him also at the Wolfram and Heart firm from Angel and erm....he even was there in Spiderman 2. These guys are all a bit old for the kids parts, but I BET they could ask a lot of newbies from the asian moviemaking industry (like the actresses of Two Sisters and so on). I bet if they work hard they will speak english in no time....if they'd want to help with this project..... Who says being asian would spoil your acting? Lol btw. Dante Basco could audition for an older part too (CABBAGEMAN!)....if he'd want to.

Reckon Cabbage Man will survive the cut?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Psyche987

[102]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 8
    TheFungusyOne wrote:
    Psyche987 wrote:

DrAvatar wrote:
    maximusgh wrote:
    Jonathan Nguyen is Asian thats all that matters. Im sick of all these White Heros. They get annoying! If they can make Elijiah Woods look like Frodo Baggins then im sure they can make Jonathan Nguyen look 12 or 13.
    A lot of people say that having an Asian actor(s) is no big deal. But it is a big deal. What was the last major movie or TV show to star an Asian actor? Now think to the last time you saw a kids movie/TV show with an Asian in the lead role? Its not that easy to think of one, and I cant think of one at all. Now consider the fact that they are targeting Asians specifically and it is likely that more that one role will be filled with an Asian actor. This will be different from any Nick Movie ever made.

Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Jackie Chan....ow and Brandon Lee....uh, let's forget about the last one . And well.....there's a LOT of great Korean, Japanese and Chinese, Thai movies out there. And don't forget about the guy from Heroes. Also that 'guy who appears everywhere but I forget his name'; the korean actor who played that guy in LOST and you could see him also at the Wolfram and Heart firm from Angel and erm....he even was there in Spiderman 2. These guys are all a bit old for the kids parts, but I BET they could ask a lot of newbies from the asian moviemaking industry (like the actresses of Two Sisters and so on). I bet if they work hard they will speak english in no time....if they'd want to help with this project..... Who says being asian would spoil your acting? Lol btw. Dante Basco could audition for an older part too (CABBAGEMAN!)....if he'd want to.

Reckon Cabbage Man will survive the cut?

I don't have high hopes...I AM trying to have an open mind about the movie.....but one things for sure: if there's no cabbageman this movie WILL fail!!

Edited on 02/12/2008 2:06pm

LeonMorado

[103]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 19
    Psyche987 wrote:
    if there's no cabbageman this movie WILL fail!!

QFT

superSokka

[104]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 7

I'm cool if this movie has an entire asian cast or not. If all are Asian, I hope they can speak English well. If not, then I hope that all that are selected are selected because they were a perfect fit. It's kinda of wierd when you look at the characters of Avatar because some look Asian and some look American. Some sound Asian and some sound American. Others look and sound like neither. Would it be completely rediculous if they just mixed it up? I mean after all thats what the cartoon does.

Waterbenders: Southeren Pole- Native American, Notheren Pole-Asian, Swamp- Redneck.

Firebenders: Zuko, Zhao, Ozai, Tylee- caucasian, Iroh and Mei- Asian

Earthbenders: Residents of Omashu- caucasian, Residents of Ba Sing Se- Asian

Airbenders: Well, they look like Monks.

I'm not saying the movie should do it just this way, but if mostly everyone was dark complected would it matter?

picaboomman

[105]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 18
    aang, katar and sokka re not asian and do not look asian so that would be weird but if asian actors play them then w.e., i just hope it is good

Spike815

[106]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 14
    superSokka wrote:

I'm cool if this movie has an entire asian cast or not. If all are Asian, I hope they can speak English well. If not, then I hope that all that are selected are selected because they were a perfect fit. It's kinda of wierd when you look at the characters of Avatar because some look Asian and some look American. Some sound Asian and some sound American. Others look and sound like neither. Would it be completely rediculous if they just mixed it up? I mean after all thats what the cartoon does.

Waterbenders: Southeren Pole- Native American, Notheren Pole-Asian, Swamp- Redneck.

I'm not saying the movie should do it just this way, but if mostly everyone was dark complected would it matter?

And what exactly does a monk look like? There are monks for many religions and can be any ethnicity.

They can even look like this, be trapped on a freaky island, see the future, and have a really cool accent.

superSokka

[107]Feb 12, 2008
    Spike815 wrote:
    superSokka wrote:

And what exactly does a monk look like? There are monks for many religions and can be any ethnicity.

They can even look like this, be trapped on a freaky island, see the future, and have a really cool accent.
    I meant Monk in the most common sense, thats all. If I must become more specific then I would say that the monks on Avatar all look Asian.

superSokka

[108]Feb 12, 2008
    Spike815 wrote:
    superSokka wrote:

And what exactly does a monk look like? There are monks for many religions and can be any ethnicity. They can even look like this, be trapped on a freaky island, see the future, and have a really cool accent.
    In the future, if you bother to criticize and nit-pick you should at least answer my question. At least that way it wouldn't have appeared that your only reason for responding to my comment was to insinuate that I have no idea who Monks are.

Spike815

[109]Feb 12, 2008
    superSokka wrote:
    Spike815 wrote:
    superSokka wrote:

And what exactly does a monk look like? There are monks for many religions and can be any ethnicity. They can even look like this, be trapped on a freaky island, see the future, and have a really cool accent.
    In the future, if you bother to criticize and nit-pick you should at least answer my question. At least that way it wouldn't have appeared that your only reason for responding to my comment was to insinuate that I have no idea who Monks are.

I don't normally answer rhetorical questions. But I guess you want me to say no?

superSokka

[110]Feb 12, 2008
    Spike815 wrote:
    superSokka wrote:
    Spike815 wrote:
    superSokka wrote:

I don't normally answer rhetorical questions. But I guess you want me to say no?
    I don't need you to say anything, but as long as you quote me, you should know that strictly criticism and no participation on the topic being discussed is considered by me to be rude. If you are a rude person then others will not take your comments seriously. You should just consider your own reputation before commenting and insulting others.

The question was not "rhetorical". That would have implied that I already know the answer, which I do not. I don't know everything, so I extended my thoughts out to others on this forum. I want to hear others thoughts on "if it matters". You may be having an off day so it's no big deal.

Spike815

[111]Feb 12, 2008
    If being off topic is so horrible why are you lecturing me about it, when your comment clearly has nothing to do with the topic? I don't think my reputation could get much worse anyway.

superSokka

[112]Feb 12, 2008
    Well thats just retarded. Of course it has to do with the topic. The thread is about the ATLA movie. My comment is about the cast of said movie. I was trying to be nice before and give you the benefit of the doubt that you might be having an "off day", but now it would seem that either you lack the common sense to grasp any of this or your deliberately trying to get under my skin. I think thats just FANTASTIC! I have been debating my post with someone all night that has had no intentions on having a serious conversation about something that I had never had intentions on debating in the 1st place. Well, at least now I know not to pay you any attention. Don't take it personal, I just don't have time to debate random noncritical topics with you.

MarryLarry

[113]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 11

Based on the rules and meanings of the English language, in order for someone to be a retard they would once have to of been tardy, then lossed their tardiness, then regained it to become retarded since "re" mean "again". But then again, when has English ever followed a specific rule?

What does this have to do with the topic, you ask? Why absolutely nothing. I just felt like sharing my thoughts.

superSokka

[114]Feb 12, 2008
    MarryLarry wrote:

Based on the rules and meanings of the English language, in order for someone to be a retard they would once have to of been tardy, then lossed their tardiness, then regained it to become retarded since "re" mean "again". But then again, when has English ever followed a specific rule?

What does this have to do with the topic, you ask? Why absolutely nothing. I just felt like sharing my thoughts.

Well I guess I used it correctly then since Spike has been late to the party all night.

Spike815

[115]Feb 12, 2008
    superSokka wrote:
    MarryLarry wrote:

Well I guess I used it correctly then since Spike has been late to the party all night.

As long as I'm being ignored and off topic, lets reminisce about our night together.

You- Race comment. Race comment. Airbenders look like monk. Blah Blah blah.

Me- Monk isn't a race.

You- HAI! Don't criticize me! And U didn't even answer my question!

Me- The rhetorical one? *Lets see, would you care if they were different skin tones* Not really...

You- HAI don't criticize me! Stop being off topic and rude! Your reputation will be bad.

Me- Isn't this whole conversation off topic?

You- Dat's retarded. My comments obviously matter more. I say mine are on topic, and yours are useless so I'll ignore you. I just don't have time to debate random noncritical topics with you.

Me- I just said monk isn't a race...

FIN

MarryLarry

[116]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 11
    And that ladies and gentlemen was a penultimate of pwns.

superSokka

[117]Feb 12, 2008
    Spike815 wrote:
    superSokka wrote:
    MarryLarry wrote:

As long as I'm being ignored and off topic, lets reminisce about our night together.

Me- Monk isn't a race.

Me- The rhetorical one? *Lets see, would you care if they were different skin tones* Not really...

You- HAI don't criticize me! Stop being off topic and rude! Your reputation will be bad.

You- Dat's retarded. My comments obviously matter more. I say mine are on topic, and yours are useless so I'll ignore you. I just don't have time to debate random noncritical topics with you.

FIN
    Your summary couldn't be more off, but thats cool though. Anyone thats reads these posts won't have any problems seeing you for who you are. It's still funny though, you would think with the whole conversation laid out in black and white you would be hesitant to lie and twist the story. Now I just pitty you.

Spike815

[118]Feb 12, 2008
    superSokka wrote:
    Spike815 wrote:
    superSokka wrote:
    MarryLarry wrote:

Me- Monk isn't a race.

FIN
    Your summary couldn't be more off, but thats cool though. Anyone thats reads these posts won't have any problems seeing you for who you are. It's still funny though, you would think with the whole conversation laid out in black and white you would be hesitant to lie and twist the story. Now I just pitty you.

I do not need your cyber-pity sir. My lollerskates provide all the entertainment I could need.

PS. Still an off topic conversation.

superSokka

[119]Feb 12, 2008
    Spike815 wrote:
    superSokka wrote:
    Spike815 wrote:
    superSokka wrote:
    MarryLarry wrote:

Me- Monk isn't a race.

FIN

I do not need your cyber-pity sir. My lollerskates provide all the entertainment I could need.

PS. Still an off topic conversation.
    This quit beeing my topic and became yours the moment you got ridiculous.

DrAvatar

[120]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 16
    No flaming wars please, now please get back on topic.