We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

SpongeBob SquarePants Forums

Weekdays 5:00 PM on NickelodeonIn Season

What happened to this show?

yougotburned

[101]Apr 12, 2011
    • level: 4

hurr05 wrote:

spongebobfan200 wrote:
    yougotburned wrote:

i really stopped watching this show and its easy to see how inappropiateif you actual sit down and you have your full attention on it. you will see it too.

Erm what? I'll say it again: Spongebob was never inappropriate. It would be if it had anything to do with drugs, people doing illegal stuff, visible nudity, etc. Just trying to make a point, but it's your opinion.
    what the heck? it's always been inappropriate. how many clips of naked butts of GROWN MEN have you seen on spongebob?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

yougotburned

[102]Apr 12, 2011
    Opps... anyways i'm glad someone agrees with me

hurr05

[103]Apr 14, 2011
    • level: 10

yougotburned wrote:
    Opps... anyways i'm glad someone agrees with me
    of course i do i mean, don't get me wrong. I LOVE spongebob but it's wayyy inappropriate.

futuramarama

[104]Apr 14, 2011
    • level: 37

hurr05 wrote:

spongebobfan200 wrote:
    evilkid523 wrote:

Blame the 5 year old writers lol

Seriously dude, they're not five, and how is a group of writers accused for ruining the show? It's not like they they fired the guy in-charge all together.
    hmmm... "how is a group of writers accused for ruining the show?"...well i'm guessing since they are, uh idk, THE WRITERS, they pretty much decide what each character says, how they say it, and when they say it.

actually the writers of spongebob don't have as much input as writers of other shows. i don't remember who has more say (i wanna say the executive producer), but the writers really, in this case, aren't all to blame

tVison_dude

[105]Apr 18, 2011
    • level: 1
    spongebobfan200 wrote:
    yougotburned wrote:

i really stopped watching this show and its easy to see how inappropiateif you actual sit down and you have your full attention on it. you will see it too.

Erm what? I'll say it again: Spongebob was never inappropriate. It would be if it had anything to do with drugs, people doing illegal stuff, visible nudity, etc. Just trying to make a point, but it's your opinion.

Spongebob has alot of hidden adult humor in it, which is one of the reasons why adults like it alot. Like in "Your shoe's untied" Spongebob is watching what looks like a coral reef flopping around and then when Gary comes spongebob quickly changes the chanel to football. That joke was soupose to mean Spongebob was watching p0rn but got caught by Gary. Their is way way way more jokes like this in spongebob, so yes it is kinda inappropiate.

All I can say is that while Spongebob has last it's charm I still LOVE the show. It is not good as Seasons 1- 3 but it is a cool show to me, the only season I did not really like was Season 4.

Psyduck057

[106]Apr 27, 2011
    • level: 3

It really sucks now. The plots are okay but the way they deliver them isn't. It's as is the forgot to put jokes in it. I really love the first three seasons. Seasons 4 and 5 were okay. I wasn't annoyed with anyone in season 4 but the characters started to annoy me towards the end of season 5. When season 6 came out, I was appalled. Most of the characters really really really really really really got more annoying, especially Spongebob and Patrick. The episodes were also boring. So I'll have to say that I hated Season 6. Now I've watched a few Season 7 episodes and they're just boring and really overrated. In the Tunnel of Glove episode, I only laughed one time and one time only. There's not much funny jokes in Season 7. But I still haven't watched Season 8 though. I've read the reviews of That_TV_Dude for season 8 and I think it's good so far basing on his honest reviews. I'll just have to see it for myself.

money3003

[107]Apr 30, 2011
    • level: 6

I kind of agree with Psyduck057. I'd really have to admit that the show sucks now. There aren't many funny jokes nor are the plots even good. And enough with people saying it's because of nostalgia because it's not. I find most of episodes nowadays boring, unfunny, and irritating. I'm not saying that I want it to end just yet. I just want the crew to at least put some effort into the show. If they're going to make new episodes, they should put a lot of effort into it. Now about the nostalgia thing, if I compare the first three seasons to any other cartoon, say like Phineas and Ferb, Spongebob would win by a trillion miles. But if I have to compare those other shows with the newer episodes of Spongebob, Spongebob would just end up in the dirt. And I have to admit, season 7 is totally overrated while season 4 is underrated. Season 4 is way better than season 7.

The thing I want the cast and crew to do about this show is to make improve their joke, surreal jokes, and maybe they should subtly add more adult jokes. They should also make more realistic plots and not just some old pointless one like in Spongicus. Another thing, they should make the characters less annoying. And they should also go back to the older animations from seasons 2 and 3. To be honest, if I had to choose between the animations they used in seasons 1 and 4, I'd definitely go with 1 because I just I hate too much bright colors and thick outlines.

money3003

[109]May 1, 2011

I hate season 6. I'm not being nostalgic. It's just so stupid. Plus the characters (Spongebob and Patrick) are really annoying. I felt like I was watching a non-humorous version of Chowder.

K177-K3V1N

[110]Jun 1, 2011
    • level: 3
    I think it went downhill with season 8. I only enjoyed Oral Report so far.

Spongedude12

[111]Jun 4, 2011

K177-K3V1N wrote:
    I think it went downhill with season 8. I only enjoyed Oral Report so far.

How can you say that when Season 8 is only four episodes in?

Third-Kind

[112]Jun 19, 2011
    • level: 13
    I love the fact that this thread attracted so much drama that the TV.com wiki made an article about it titled "Nostalgia Era".

Just goes to show guys.

woahwoah678

[113]Jun 20, 2011
    • level: 28

Spongebob was good by the first 3 seasons,but after the movie came,the new writers made Spongebob horrible.Spongebob is so annoying,Patrick is a complete idiot,Pearl is a selfish brat and Mr. Krabs is such a jerk. Squidward is the only good character of the show since he stands up to the stupidity of Spongebob and Patrick.

Also,whenever they make a special,it just ends up sucking. Just look at Best Day Ever and The Great Patty Caper. The new special next month better be good.

In my opinion,the only good new episodes I liked of Spongebob were Pineapple Fever,Chum Caverns,Rodeo Daze and Tunnel Of Glove.

But now,the writers are just lazy. Especially that stupid Hide and Then What?

money3003

[114]Jun 21, 2011

woahwoah678 wrote:

Spongebob was good by the first 3 seasons,but after the movie came,the new writers made Spongebob horrible.Spongebob is so annoying,Patrick is a complete idiot,Pearl is a selfish brat and Mr. Krabs is such a jerk. Squidward is the only good character of the show since he stands up to the stupidity of Spongebob and Patrick.

Also,whenever they make a special,it just ends up sucking. Just look at Best Day Ever and The Great Patty Caper. The new special next month better be good.

In my opinion,the only good new episodes I liked of Spongebob were Pineapple Fever,Chum Caverns,Rodeo Daze and Tunnel Of Glove.

But now,the writers are just lazy. Especially that stupid Hide and Then What?

The post-movie episodes I like are the following:

1. Fear of a Krabby Patty

2. Have You Seen This Snail?

3. Skille Crane

4. Krusty Towers

5. Squidtastic Voyage

6. That's No Lady

7. Best Frenemies

8. Night Light

9. Rise and Shine

10. Spy Buddies

11. Boat Smarts

12. Roller Cowards

13. Goo Goo Gas

It's so weird how I love almost all of the episodes of the first three seasons, yet I only like the above thirteen episodes from the post-movie seasons. Truth to be told, somewhere around from 2008, I would USUALLY find the new episodes either stupid, annoying (mostly season 6), or boring (mostly season 7). Some episodes do have hilarious moments like the "Girly Teengirl" bit in The Slumber Party or the part involving Patrick in Tentacle-Vision, but one or two hilarious moments won't save those episodes. I just watched the first three episodes of season 8 because of what people said about it, but I don't think they were really funny that much. They just didn't have sufficient jokes, but I do like the plots for Oral Report and A Friendly Game. And yeah, the specials have really gotten downhill.

List of REALLY REALLY disappointing specials:

1. The Best Day Ever

2. Atlantis Squarepantis

3. SpongeBob vs The Big One

4. The Great Patty Caper

The others were kinda decent and I haven't seen The Clash Of Triton yet.

pandagirl

[115]Jan 15, 2012
    • level: 1

I am new to this forum, although I have been watching it for awhile. I've been meaning to add on, but this last year has brought some difficulty and upheaval; not been of a mind to write here. I am trying to work our way back into some kind of normalityI am a single mom; and my adult son is in this with me.

Anyway, from the beginning, I've agreed with TV Dude about the decline of the Spongebob show. But I hope they do not cancel it. And let me say this before I continue; We should all agree to disagree; every one has a right to their opinion, and thank goodness we don't all share the same one! From what I've read you are all intelligent and witty; and have something in common- Spongebob. I am a fan of seasons 1-3, with some of season 4 being good, too. I honestly don't care much for the newer ones, although a few of them are ok. Honestly, there were a bunch of new shows and specials preceding and around the Winter holidays, and I didn't see them. I haven't watched much lately. I am envious of those of you who like the newer shows; more power to you.

I was looking at the program guide for Nick for this weekend (MLK birthday holiday) and there are hardly ANY Spongebob shows on!!! Gee, TV Dude, I hope they are not eliminating this show; although I know you thought it was a good idea. I guess we'll all see what happens. And, it's been awhile since anyone posted. I hope this brings in some of you back to the forum.

One more comment; ok, so they show the new episodes much more; and there are way more of them. But they seem to show the same older ones over and over; when was the last time anyone saw "Ugh- Spongebob BC"? I really like that one and haven't seen it in about 3 years!!! My luck, they've probably been showing it ad nauseum during my recent hiatus. But, on another forum someone said the same thing, so I doubt it.

I hope this will provoke some of you to write again. Good forum, hate to see it go away. And wish my son and me luck, as I wish all of you the best.

startug

[116]Feb 7, 2012
    • level: 23
    I think it is time for me to write up why I really dislike the newer seasons.

SpongeBob SquarePants started off as a creative and humorous show. It had a small amount of education by figuring out what was in the sea, but nothing shoved down your throat. Here is something that a lot of people are confused on. There is, believe it or not, a small amount of adult humor in the original series. Some of it was a bit over-your-head, and sometimes it was just jokes only older generations would get. There was small innuendo, but I can't entirely take it seriously. The only one I could really think was pretty bad was a prison rape joke where SpongeBob was trying to give Gary a bath and gave a couple bars of soap as doubloons, but not without telling him not to drop them. I really don't want to detail all day on why that joke is probably the most inappropriate joke from the old series.

Anyway, I wanted to get the inappropriate level out of the way so I could discuss the current seasons. Originally, the movie was the end to SpongeBob, and if it had ended, people would have begged for it to come back. Unfortunately, the money-grabbers at Nickelodeon Studios thought it would be a great idea to bring it back, but Stephen Hillenburg did not come back in his original job, so Paul Tibbet (I don't remember if this is the right spelling) took it under his wing, and got some of the worst writers I've really ever seen. It's not the new animation that made the show terrible, it was the dialog. Back in 2006, a few episodes were only on the German Nickelodeon site, and I had decided to watch them. Since I couldn't understand any of the dialog, I couldn't consider it to be bad, and a few gags were just... okay I suppose. When I watched the American version, I could not stand listening to the poor dialog, SpongeBob's now-retarded crying. I felt rather sorry for the wasted talent that was going into this. Not to mention the new jokes were just beyond terrible. If it ended at the movie and knew this was going to happen, I would have proudly accepted its fate. But something a few people wouldn't realize is that SpongeBob SquarePants wouldn't be anywhere as popular today if it had ended. The new episodes are terrible, but the popularity has increased so much since then, it's become one of the greatest cult icons of all time. Sorry if I took to long, but I just wanted to fully explain some things. Thanks for reading.