We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

Why isn't Dan allowed to make episodes out of fanfictions?

iCarlyFan101

[41]Aug 18, 2010
    • level: 3

schillingklaus wrote:
    Quinn is of course from Zoey 101. But Cal is from iCarly episode iGo Nuclear. Decent people that are able to connect the dots, using diving inspiration, know that Quinn/Cal would be a wonderful in-character couple, thus Quinn/Cal is great stuff for wonderful fanfictions. Decent fanfic authors write about good stuff like Quinn/Cal, which is possible with a true Quinn, indecent ones prefer junk like Quogan which requires perverting Quinn.

Of course Quinn is from Zoey 101. Everybody should know that, right?

Sorry – I never really watched the show. In fact, the two times I attempted to watch it, it was the same episode and I didn't really pay attention to anyone or their names. Thank you for educating me.

You have to remember – the decency and indecency of fanfic writers is subjective to the reader. Obviously you are stating your opinion but I find it uncouth and pompous when you state it as though it's a fact. All fanfic writers "pervert" the characters to some degree to suit their needs – even those who write Quinn/Cal. They are using a character(s) born from another's imagination and can only use their observations and interpretations of said character(s) to make him/her react and develop in a manner that makes their storyline plausible. And, true, some do it better than others. But even the best of fanfic writers will deviate slightly from the "true" character to ensure their creative needs are met – especially if ships are not cannon.

And I am curious to know how you are privy to what constitutes a "true Quinn". Was this a character you created and developed on the show?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

schillingklaus

[42]Aug 18, 2010
    • level: 12
    No, the true Quinn is the prototype of the perfect science geek girl. It preexisted mankind, as it is an eternal idea.

NatalieTV100

[43]Aug 18, 2010
    • level: 10
    schillingklaus wrote:
    No, the true Quinn is the prototype of the perfect science geek girl. It preexisted mankind, as it is an eternal idea.

Lol okay. I still want you to elaborate on why Sam and Freddie are so "evil".

MusicAddictBabe

[44]Aug 18, 2010
    • level: 18
    iCarlyFan - Sweet. Thanks for agreeing! I have a friend who agrees with me a lot but not all the time, which is nice. Wow. I never knew that was actually a word lol. I agree with the viewers view on fanfics. It's totally true.

...What did he just say? I got the first part and lost it at 'It preexisted mankind.' Yeah. And apparently Nevel or Chuck aren't as bad, when, really, if we're talking hobknockers, Chuck's a lot like that...and maybe Sam...sometimes.

pscf3

[45]Aug 18, 2010
    • level: 16
    Mab, I'll pm you on what a hobknocker is.

@natile, don't get him started on why Sam and Freddie are "evillllllllll". If you want to know, read the "who deserves Freddie more? Carly of Sam" thread, it may be a few pages back, but that thread became a schillingklaus battleground.

iCarlyFan101

[46]Aug 18, 2010

schillingklaus wrote:

Maybe to you Quinn is "the prototype of the perfect science geek girl" but your perception of her is not the "true Quinn". An ideal Quinn maybe, but her creator obviously had other ideas for her – the true Quinn – using some of that pre-existing mankind "eternal idea" and tweaking it to his vision of her. Now you can argue that Quinn is OOC for a perfect science geek girl (although I am not entirely sure how the Quogan thing fits in here) but as far as saying Quinn is OOC for the Quinn-her-creator-intended-her-to-be – she's not. The true Quinn and the Quinn you perceive (again, "the prototype of the perfect science geek girl" or ideal Quinn) are not one in the same. The true Quinn may embody a lot of qualities that geek girl character entails, but she has her own quirks as well.

Good characters are imperfectly perfect. In most works of fiction, film, television, etc., the main character (or any of the supporting characters) does something unexpected – it adds dimension and interest to the character instead of them remaining flat and dull. But it doesn't mean they are out of their character. Just out of the characterization the creator used to mold him/her.

Wow – I don't even know if that made any sense.

iCarlyFan101

[47]Aug 18, 2010

MusicAddictBabe wrote:
    iCarlyFan - Sweet. Thanks for agreeing! I have a friend who agrees with me a lot but not all the time, which is nice. Wow. I never knew that was actually a word lol.

When the episode first aired I googled "hobknocker" to see if it was a real word since I do know Dan Schneider likes to make up his own stuff. I about died laughing when I found out it was real and exactly what it meant!

schillingklaus

[48]Aug 18, 2010
    • level: 12

Flat characters are the only acceptable ones in TV shows, no exception. There's no such thing as imperfectly perfect characters. All those who don't exactly reflect preexisting stereotypes are miscreated or corrupted.

Edited on 08/19/2010 2:13pm

teenj12

[49]Aug 18, 2010
    • level: 26
    schillingklaus wrote:
    Flat characters are the only acceptable ones in TV shows, no exception. There's no such thing as imperfectly perfect characters. All those who don't exactly reflect preexistant stereotypes are miscreated or corrupted.

... OK . . . ........

marcdragicevic

[50]Aug 18, 2010
    • level: 21

How do you delete messages/

Edited on 08/18/2010 10:52pm

iCarlyFan101

[51]Aug 19, 2010

schillingklaus wrote:
    Flat characters are the only acceptable ones in TV shows, no exception. There's no such thing as imperfectly perfect characters. All those who don't exactly reflect preexistant stereotypes are miscreated or corrupted.

Again, that is only your opinion - not fact. And why do you watch TV if a majority of the characters on the shows are not flat? Just curious...

You fascinate me. Before having kids I was going to school to major in psychology and there are certain personality types that held intrigue...

pscf3

[52]Aug 19, 2010
    Could you speak REGULAR English? I know that technically is English, but not anyone is that fancy, if you're gonna post here, remeber we are mostly teenagers, and we sent that fancy.

schillingklaus wrote:

teenj12

[53]Aug 19, 2010
    pscf3 wrote:
    Could you speak REGULAR English? I know that technically is English, but not anyone is that fancy, if you're gonna post here, remeber we are mostly teenagers, and we sent that fancy.

schillingklaus wrote:

You don't like that he writes "proper"?

pscf3

[54]Aug 19, 2010
    I can't understand him half the time. Did I mention I HATE fancy.

teenj12 wrote:
    pscf3 wrote:

schillingklaus wrote:

teenj12

[55]Aug 19, 2010
    pscf3 wrote:
    I can't understand him half the time. Did I mention I HATE fancy.

teenj12 wrote:
    pscf3 wrote:

schillingklaus wrote:

Oh.

KJLwriter

[56]Aug 21, 2010
    • level: 8
    I write fanfiction. I like it because it builds my writing skill. I try to keep the characters in..well...character. i really have to think about what they feel underneath their skin. I use my acing skill for that. I think it would be cool if Dan uses an idea from that episode, but I doubt that will EVER happen. He has the writers to do that. That's their job. If you are on fanfiction and want to create an episode, apply for a job as a writer for them then.

MusicAddictBabe

[57]Aug 21, 2010
    • level: 18
    Marc - Do you mean your own messages or someone else's?

KJLWriter - I write fanfictions too and I totally get what you're saying. If it's one thing I get annoyed with in some fanfics, it's misused grammar and a lot of spelling errors. And I mean major ones. So, when I'm typing some, I try to be as detailed as I can so people get an image in their minds. Plus, this past year I had English and a College Prep Writing course (it's a lot like another English class except you do way more essays). I felt so good when I learned something new and incorporated that into my stories. lol I felt really smart ^^. Plus, it's good practice. I always try to imagine my stories as if they were actual episodes so I can get a better idea of how a character would act. I haven't written in awhile, though, because I keep waiting for a really good new iCarly episode to inspire me. Whenever I wrote a new chapter or something to my other fanfics, I knew I HAD to watch the show first because then it feels like their voices and stuff are drilled into my head lol.

lol Pscf is right. It's page after page of nonstop "Sam/Freddie evilness" on the 'Who Deserves Freddie More...?' topic. Or, well, a lot of debates, actually. Remember? We all had an evil role on there or something.

Yeah, I don't mind sophistication, but going overboard is too much. Confusing! Like, it's really good in fanfictions because you can invision what's going on. But on here, I like casualty too.

T7F

[58]Aug 22, 2010
    • level: 7

iCarlyFan101 wrote:

MusicAddictBabe wrote:
    Is 'hobnockers' even a word? I mean, I know they used it in iCarly, but I thought they made that up.

Oh it's a real word - it means someone who goes around punching people in their nether regions. Ouch!

it actually can mean something else

Edited on 08/22/2010 2:24am

marcdragicevic

[59]Aug 22, 2010
    • level: 21

MusicAddictBabe wrote:
    My own, and why does everyone keep calling me Marc?

Edited on 08/22/2010 3:38am

pscf3

[60]Aug 22, 2010
    Because it's easier to write than "marcdragicevic". To delete your own message, go to the bottom right corner of your post, and you'll see a thing that says " select action below". Click on it, and scroll down to "delete message" and click on it.

TF7- I know what the second one is.
    marcdragicevic wrote:

MusicAddictBabe wrote:
    My own, and why does everyone keep calling me Marc?