We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

Why isn't Dan allowed to make episodes out of fanfictions?

xiaxia123

[1]Aug 12, 2010
    • level: 4

Won't it be awesome if Dan hosts a contest in which fans can write their own fanfiction and one of them will be made into an episode? But then, I heard that its illegal. Why? If both parties, Dan and the fanfic writer, agree to allow the work be turned into an episode, then there should be no copyright infringement problems.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

T7F

[2]Aug 12, 2010
    • level: 7

it is to protect the show, fanfic writers can lie

sockstar

[3]Aug 12, 2010
    • level: 12
    1) Because 99.9999% of them suck.
    2) Because everything in Hollywood is unionised, and no-one who isn't a writers guild member would be allowed to write a show.

MusicAddictBabe

[4]Aug 12, 2010
    • level: 18
    I was kinda gonna say what Sockstar did. Have you read iCarly fanfics? A lot of them are so way OOC, they really do suck. I think it'd be cool if they got ideas from them, in a way, but the whole thing would just be freakishly weird.

marcdragicevic

[5]Aug 12, 2010
    • level: 21
    What's 'ooc?'

frontman19

[6]Aug 13, 2010
    • level: 14

Out Of Character, and yes a lot of fanfictions do suck, and the ones that are good have very little to do with the actual show...so it wouldn't work no matter what, even if the network would somehow allow it.

pscf3

[7]Aug 13, 2010
    • level: 16
    I don't see why it would be illegal, but like y'all said 99.999999999999% of them suck, and the ones that ARE good are either VERY innapropate or involve them going to college and/or adult life, or take place over a long period of time.

I don't see why it would be illegal, but it would be a VERY BAD IDEA.

chicamusica12

[8]Aug 13, 2010
    • level: 13
    Almost none of them have to do with the actual show. Especially Seddie fics. Its like they take bad telenovelas and just switch the names.

schillingklaus

[9]Aug 13, 2010
    Most Seddie fanfics have a lot to do directly with the show, as both Samantha and Freddie are characters from the show that interact a lot.

This opposes them to my Nevel/Megan or Nevel/Malika fanfics which are only possible by careful extrapolation and reading between the shows or episodes.

MusicAddictBabe

[10]Aug 13, 2010
    To be completely honest, mine isn't even that great. I'm not saying mine's, like, suckish. But it strays away from the actual show plotline, I will admit. I got so annoyed with it, by the latest chapter, I kinda made stuff up. And my other one I tried making it as close as I could. It doesn't work. No matter how hard you try, you can't make a story that's completely in character. Because it never happened on the show. Technically. Like, you really can't make an accurate shipping fic because there is no cannon couple. Yet. You know what I'm saying?

One of mine has to do with love potion, while the other is a little more "dark" (or at least dramatic...it involves people getting beat up or something...can't quite remember now). It wouldn't work.

Yeah, characters are the only thing iCarly-related sometimes in fanfictions. Creativity is one of the only words that actually describes fanfictions because, well, that's what they are. A way to use your imagination. And I don't even wanna get into this, schilling. Everyone else tends to agree here but you right now .

T7F

[11]Aug 14, 2010
    • level: 7
    MusicAddictBabe wrote:
    To be completely honest, mine isn't even that great. I'm not saying mine's, like, suckish. But it strays away from the actual show plotline, I will admit. I got so annoyed with it, by the latest chapter, I kinda made stuff up. And my other one I tried making it as close as I could. It doesn't work. No matter how hard you try, you can't make a story that's completely in character. Because it never happened on the show. Technically. Like, you really can't make an accurate shipping fic because there is no cannon couple. Yet. You know what I'm saying?

One of mine has to do with love potion, while the other is a little more "dark" (or at least dramatic...it involves people getting beat up or something...can't quite remember now). It wouldn't work.

Yeah, characters are the only thing iCarly-related sometimes in fanfictions. Creativity is one of the only words that actually describes fanfictions because, well, that's what they are. A way to use your imagination. And I don't even wanna get into this, schilling. Everyone else tends to agree here but you right now .
    even good fics arent in character

schillingklaus

[12]Aug 14, 2010

If the whole plotline of the show degenerates and corrupts, it's the holy duty of any reader and viewer, not just fanfic writers, to correct it rigorously at any cost. Nickelodeon is totally unable to keep their characters in character. This underlines the necessity of corrections.

Edited on 08/14/2010 10:28am

NatalieTV100

[14]Aug 14, 2010
    • level: 10
    pscf3 wrote:
    Dude, no one wants hear hear you run your mouth, so SHUT THE **** UP.

schillingklaus wrote:
    If the plotline of the show degenerates and corrupts, it's the wholy duty of any reader and viewer, not just fanfic writers, to correct it rigorously at any cost.

Nickelodeon is totally unable to keep their characters in character. This underlines the necessity of corrections.

Lol, that exactly what I was think. If you think the show is corrupt, stop watching...

NatalieTV100

[15]Aug 14, 2010
    • level: 10

Most fanfiction tends to stray away from the show and are sort of overdramatic in a way. A lot of the fanfiction I read,especially shippy onesdon't really have anything to do with what's going on in the show, they're just really romantic. Plus a lot of fic I read tend to be borderline inappropriate.

ps. Sorry for double posting. Smile

schillingklaus

[16]Aug 14, 2010
    Only the plotlines of the episodes are corrupt.

The guest characters are the only thing not corrupted, and they make it still worthy of being watched.

Overdramatisation is a good thing.

Appropriateness is handled by ratings.

katywishing100

[17]Aug 14, 2010
    • level: 15
    schillingklaus wrote:
    Only the plotlines of the episodes are corrupt.

The guest characters are the only thing not corrupted, and they make it still worthy of being watched.

Overdramatisation is a good thing.

Appropriateness is handled by ratings.

huh

MusicAddictBabe

[18]Aug 16, 2010
    T7F - That's what I mean. Like, I've read some pretty good fanfics, but just like with every show, they're still gonna be outta character. In middle school, when I discovered Fanfiction in the fist place, I used to read a lot of cartoon ones. Talk about OOC. They weren't too bad but like iCarly ones, lacked...erm...in-character-ness....

Schilling - Nickelodeon has nothing to do with the, um, "character-alignment." It's all in the creator of the show. I'm sure Dan would love for you to Tweet him that...we all still wonder what happened to TheSchwab.

Natalie - Good point. It's like that with a lot of show fanfics. iCarly's about a webshow, but I'm pretty sure most fanfic writers fail to mention that lol. In mine, I tried to incorporate it, but it doesn't make it any better.

Katy - Just what I was thinking o_O.

marcdragicevic

[20]Aug 16, 2010
    • level: 21
    MusicAddictBabe wrote:

Schilling - Nickelodeon has nothing to do with the, um, "character-alignment." It's all in the creator of the show. I'm sure Dan would love for you to Tweet him that...we all still wonder what happened to TheSchwab.

1: He is on twitter a lot though, http://twitter.com/slicknickshady

2: Please don't feed the troll(s).