We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

Submission Guidelines - GUIDELINE #2 EDITED 7-29-08

AndreaMSkate

[1]May 14, 2008
    • level: 49

Okay so, when I inherited the previous editor's queue, the biggest thing I had to reject submissions on was "improper format." So here is a guide on how to submit quotes, notes, everything. If you have any questions still, post them here (I think I'll keep this thread open, at least for now) or PM me!

Submission Guidelines

Here are the general guidelines for submissions for a TV show. I copied them from tv.com's Guidelines Center instead of rewriting them myself, since I think they are written in a very clear and straightforward manner. If you're still having trouble though, feel free to PM me.

Show Quotes

All show quotes must have the name of the speaker(s) bolded using HTML start and end tags. The name is then followed by a colon, which is not bolded. The dialogue itself should not have quotation marks around it. There should be no spacing between different speakers' lines in the same quotation, or extra spacing after the last line of a quotation. Action/context/background description should be in parentheses (or brackets) and italics.

Note: When you're using these tags for submissions, don't put in the spaces that I have here.

< b >Character Name < / b >:

< i > (Character action) < / i>

Please do NOT use any quotation marks.
    Please do not use paragraph or break tags.

< p > or < br >

Please put html tags for italics around any "action" and outside the parentheses (as shown above) using italics tags.

< i > and < / i>

Please put the colon AFTER the closing bold tag.

< b > < / b >:

Here are some additional (but equally important) guidelines to follow:

1.) When submitting quotes, take care to make sure they are written exactly as they appear in the show.
    -I will be checking every new quote that is submitted against what is said in the episode itself. I will not accept any quotes that are not written verbatim as they are said on the show.

2.) When submitting a new quote, please check the guide to make sure it hasn't already been added.
    -Duplicates obviously will not be accepted. Also, please don't submit parts of quotes that are already posted. I won't accept them.

*EDIT* 7-29-08: I can not emphasize this enough. Please, please, please check the guide before submitting anything. The number of rejections I have had to give out for duplicates lately is simply astounding. I DO check the guide very carefully before processing any submission. So submitting duplicate data is a waste of your time, and mine.

3.) When submitting quotes, notes, trivia, episode summaries, etc, check your spelling, grammar, capitalization, and punctuation.
    -I will not accept quotes with errors in any of these areas. If you are unsure of how to spell a word, look it up. I understand that everyone makes occasional honest typos, so I urge you to preview your data before submitting it.

4.) When editing quotes, trivia, notes, etc, make specific comments as to what you are editing.
    -If you add one period to a 20 line quote, it's going to take me an awfully long time to go through the current quote and your edited quote to find that one correction. I definitely want to have these kinds of errors corrected, but I'd really appreciate it if you'd specify where the correction is in your comments. Even if it's just something like, "I added a period to the end of Carly's first quote," that would be immensely more helpful than, "I fixed punctuation."

I won't reject your data because of this (although I did read the guidelines of another editor who said that they might if they're in a cranky mood...ridiculous much?), but do keep in mind that the more details you give, the easier you make it for me to process your submissions quickly, and the sooner you'll the get points towards your level.

5.) When adding a new episode, provide as much information as possible and please state your source in the comments section.
    -I think this is pretty self-explanatory. I obviously will not accept new episodes from Wikipedia or similar notoriously unreliable sources.

6.) All notes, quotes, trivia, etc will be processed on a "first come, first served" basis.
    -Meaning that if a new episode airs, and three people submit the same quote, the person who submitted it first will be the one to get credit, even if all three submissions are identical and mistake-free. This is the only way to be fair. However, if the first one has an error of any sort (typo, lack of proper punctuation, etc), it will be rejected, and I will accept the quote from the person who submitted it next. If all three submissions have errors, all three of them will be rejected.

ADDENDUM:

There has been some confusion over what is categorized as a note, what qualifies as trivia, and what qualifies as an allusion. I noticed this well before I was editor. Here are TV.com's definitions of all of them:

TRIVIA

Trivia is any small detail or goof that might not be known to people who view an episode. Trivia is attached at the episode level, not the show level. It should be specific to what aired in the episode and not deal with off-camera events, which should be submitted in the "notes" form. A car license-plate number is trivia, and a producer walking off the set is a note.

NOTES

Notes are off-camera tidbits about an episode. They should contain off-camera events that deal with a show's production. They should not deal with on-camera events or trivia.

ALLUSIONS

TV.com's definition of an allusion is an indirect or passing reference to an existing form of media, be it to another TV program, a movie, a piece of music, or a book. The format for them will be the following:

< b > item on show < / b>

This is an allusion to (or parody of) < i > real life item < / i>

-Note that when you're actually typing this out, there are no spaces in the bold or italics tags.

That's pretty much it. If your data is rejected for pretty much any of these reasons (excluding #4 and #6), you can (and I highly encourage you to) submit the data again after you make all the necessary corrections. If you aren't sure about why one of your submissions was rejected, please PM me. If you have any questions at all, please PM me.

-Andrea

Edited on 09/26/2008 2:14pm
    Edited 4 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

crzza

[2]Jun 7, 2008
    Thanks for the info. i just have a quick question about submitting things before something airs. Which Ive been trying to ask you on im for about 9 HOURS. Can u submit stuff from iCSTV? Since its on TB?

AndreaMSkate

[3]Jun 7, 2008
    crzza wrote:
    Thanks for the info. i just have a quick question about submitting things before something airs. Which Ive been trying to ask you on im for about 9 HOURS. Can u submit stuff from iCSTV? Since its on TB?

You can sub it, but the thing is, I'M not watching it until Friday. So sub away, but it's not going to be modded until I see it on TV. Which is legit, since it won't be more than 7 days.

I'm not answering on IM because I'm only on for like 5 minutes every time. Especially today.

crzza

[4]Jun 7, 2008
    AndreaMSkate wrote:
    crzza wrote:

You can sub it, but the thing is, I'M not watching it until Friday. So sub away, but it's not going to be modded until I see it on TV. Which is legit, since it won't be more than 7 days.

I'm not answering on IM because I'm only on for like 5 minutes every time. Especially today.
    Oh, ok. My bad.

Captain52

[6]Jun 18, 2008
    • level: 12
    hmmm...I wonder why Post #5 got Deleted...anyway That was a really good Guide and Helpful Information! Nice Job Andrea! So for Submissions there is different ways to do a Submission that has you gaina different amount of Points?

AndreaMSkate

[7]Jun 18, 2008
    Captain52 wrote:
    hmmm...I wonder why Post #5 got Deleted...anyway That was a really good Guide and Helpful Information! Nice Job Andrea! So for Submissions there is different ways to do a Submission that has you gaina different amount of Points?

Trivia, quotes, allusions, and notes are all worth one point. Adding things like an episode, an episode summary, or a recap are all worth more. I believe the recap is the most valuable, at 5 points. But these things can be done in various combinations, and therefore worth different point amounts depending on that.

Here's the breakdown on the episode level:

ADD/EDIT Episode summary:
    All of these can be submitted on one page.
    Episode's Name (Title) = 1 pt.
    Episode Synopsis (Summary) = 3 pts.
    Episode Recap = 5 pts.
    Season Number = 1 pt.
    Episode Type = 1 pt.
    Episode Number (season) = 1 pt.
    Episode Number (lifetime) = 1 pt.
    First Aired Date = 1 pt.
    Episode Production Code = 1 pt.

Combinations:
    Prod Code and Airdate = 1 pt.
    Prod Code and Title = 2 pts.
    Lifetime number and Title = 2 pts.
    Title, airdate, episode numbers, and prod code all at once = 2 pts.
    Change EVERYTHING except the Recap = 6 pts.

Summary and Recap = 8 pts.
    Change EVERYTHING = up to 10 pts.

abarai92

[8]Jun 18, 2008
    thanks for the info andrea. i might start submitting sometime soon.

AndreaMSkate

[9]Jun 18, 2008
    abarai92 wrote:
    thanks for the info andrea. i might start submitting sometime soon.

Cool. Any questions, let me know.

AangPhantom777

[10]Jun 19, 2008
    • level: 33
    Thanks for the info! I've always wondered about the points-guide thingy.

I'm probably gonna be submitting a lot of quotes soon.

AndreaMSkate

[11]Jun 19, 2008
    Submit away!

abarai92

[12]Jun 19, 2008
    I will submit away very soon.....

AndreaMSkate

[13]Jun 19, 2008
    Alright. But please keep the discussion in this thread to submission questions and stuff. Thanks.

crzza

[14]Jun 20, 2008
    Ok, I have a question. When submitting a quote, when you want to show something a character was saying they said to another do you put quotation marks around it like this?

Sam: (about her mom) She kept yelling at me so I just said, "SHUT UP!".

AndreaMSkate

[15]Jun 20, 2008
    crzza wrote:
    Ok, I have a question. When submitting a quote, when you want to show something a character was saying they said to another do you put quotation marks around it like this?

Sam: (about her mom) She kept yelling at me so I just said, "SHUT UP!".

Yes. That's acceptable.

AangPhantom777

[16]Jun 20, 2008
    I'm just wondering, where'd you get those points guidelines?

AndreaMSkate

[17]Jun 20, 2008
    AangPhantom777 wrote:
    I'm just wondering, where'd you get those points guidelines?

http://www.tv.com/user-to-user-help-hints-andamp-tips/the-new-contributor-point-values/topic/79303-808296/msgs.html

crzza

[18]Jun 20, 2008
    How many points do you get for adding cast? I've always wondered that.

AndreaMSkate

[19]Jun 21, 2008
    This link should answer all your questions regarding submission point values.

AangPhantom777

[20]Jun 23, 2008
    Thanks, Andrea!