We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

Season 5 Episode 2- "iDate Sam and Freddie" Official Discussion.

pscf3

[121]Sep 9, 2011
    • level: 16
    Lol, not a big sneak peak fan. Besides, iCarly is like the 5th most important thing happening tomorrow.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

vanillacupcakes

[122]Sep 9, 2011
    I LOVE the sneak peeks. They get me excited for the episode and completely spoil everything at the same time! (: That's okay, I like knowing what happens before it happens sometimes, plus if I need to leave to do something for some reason I don't miss anything since I already saw it.

And they're GOOD sneak peeks. How dare you. I like Carly in the last one, and the puppy is so freaking adorable. IA with Carly, that they need to sort out issues amongst themselves without getting people involved. However, arguing is their THING, so they just have to deal with a way to getting over it after awhile and not pushing things too far as to need Carly sort everything out. I don't know where the asthma thing fits in though, something with their argument on her bed I guess(maybe she fakes an asthma attack to get them to stop or something?).

Work, football game/tailgating, parties, hanging out with friends, buying books, finishing homework, or whatever the heck I'm going to end up doing tomorrow instead of watching it is NOT as important as iCarly. Look at how nicely I prioritize my life....lol. I'm quite upset I haven't watched the premieres of any iCarly episodes since iOMG(which is only like 3 or 4 episodes anyways).

Fireofnature

[123]Sep 9, 2011
    • level: 13
    My beef is I don't think Sam and Freddie are ready to date, not necessarily each other, but anyone in general. This is where you have to look at the psychological aspect of the mind, of learned behaviors.

9 times out of 10, someone will grow up just like their parent before. So exploring Sam, we see that she already HAS had several failed relationships. She also hasn't had any real positive relationships to view while growing up, so what she sees is her mom's the norm.

To you, I suggest this experience as plausible evidence: My ex's mother had been forever in a number of failed relationships, and a great majority of them were lesbian. My ex was conceived on a one night during a romp on a hotel floor. My ex has had a number of failed relationships (including me) and has often had weird behaviors, "fantasies", and other odd tastes that she acquired from her mother. She also has had an affinity for sleeping around frequently like her mother did, also has had an affinity for women and constantly told me while we were together, how hot a woman looked. Let's also look at this: She had a one night stand with someone and got herself pregnant. History repeats itself.

So we find that Sam may need to do something differently or she might go the same path as her mother. Freddie has some issues to work through too. I know we've talked upon how he has clearly not had a father figure in his life. He's got no role model, and what's the norm among his friends? Spencer's a "wimp" in the sense of that meaning Spencer has failed to keep any relationships lasting and hasn't made any strong efforts to stand up for himself. Gibby appears to be "stepping out" on his girlfriend. Most of the guys, boyfriends or fathers, are gone! Without any positive male role models or any way to see how a proper relationship should work, he can't honestly gauge the success rate of a relationship. There's no one to say what is right or wrong in a relationship.

There is a chance for him to become a bit controlling and dominating, because he sees that it works. It works for his mother, and that is what he knows. All learned behaviors come from what our mind sees. With no one to tell him that you shouldn't be controlling, he'd see it is "right" and continue to put for the same affect for the same result. So assuming this mentality, we see that it's likely. He needs a positive role model.

There are a number of psychological things that could hinder a relationship, and I hate to say it but I will, if certain conditions are not met, then well...The relationship may be doomed to fail.

nicknameless101

[124]Sep 9, 2011
    • level: 25

Even though I see Freddie as a sweet guy, I think you have a point, there, Fireofnature. I always believed a romantic relationship between him and Sam wouldn't work, but now, you really opened up my mind.

RiciSmokes2

[125]Sep 9, 2011
    • level: 7
    Ohhhhh-kayyyyy!!!! @FON did u make those numbers up? Lol. There always seems to be a lil bit of a dark streak to your more well-thought out post. We really don't know how much time Freddie may have spent with his dad. He may see him on the weekend, and it hasn't been established yet, like with Gibby's dad. And to dismiss Spencer as a reliable father figure is a little unfair, esp bc u think he is portrayed as wimpy. Most importantly he is portrayed as being strong of character, which is what u need to be a good role model. (really I think it's impossible to go into the characterization of anyone on iCarly, bc it's absurdly exaggerated for jokes.)

Fireofnature

[126]Sep 9, 2011
    Yes, and mentally speaking, I'm not sure Sam isn't secure enough about her own self to take Freddie possibly ever becoming controlling and dominating. I don't mean to say she isn't tough, she's shown that, but when you get into a serious relationship, things tend to change. In a relationship, one's mentality doesn't necessarily remain "Tough tough tough" the person wants to PLEASE their partner. Sam, with her failed relationships would likely have the mentality of wanting to please Freddie, so if assuming he became controlling and overbearing, Sam would likely start to take the toll on that. The first time she might not take it, the second time, maybe not, but the third time she might start to break because she's not pleasing her partner. The next time and so on she might start going nuts trying to do things right so her relationship won't fail like the ones before that one. If it does, her mentality, she would blame herself most likely. Her fear would be turning into her mother, nobody wants to be alone and Sam would most likely be no exception for fearing the thought of turning into her mom.

Freddie is a nice guy, yes, though I'm already seeing a bit of a control thing in him in that first sneak peak where he says "don't you walk away while I'm talking to you!" It may be small and innocent, but small and innocent builds up when not assuaged by something. There is no role model to tell him.

This is why I'm hoping for Spencer's girlfriend to become a steady one, that way Freddie will have someone to fall back upon. He needs someone to tell him you don't have to be a pansy or wuss in a relationship, but you can't be controlling and dominating or else you risk becoming an "abuser". Most people don't think of Emotional Abuse and the effects of it, but it can cause severe things.

Here's a great 10 signs video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el3g35rfLso

That's what could happen in their relationship and why there needs to be a positive model. I can't see Freddie being physically abusive unless things just grow worse and worse, but emotionally I can see for him. I actually think, as rough as Sam is, Freddie would be the one more apt to be an aggressor in a relationship, simply because Sam's more the work of insecurities, NOT aggression.

Fireofnature

[127]Sep 9, 2011
    Now the reason I say Freddie would be more the aggressor is because the things listed in that video (while yes Sam has done one or two of those things), if Freddie said or did the things in there, Sam would probably be the one more apt to get upset or hurt over it than he would. Simply because we know of her powerful insecurities that would likely lead to it. If we recall, was there an episode where Freddie shot back at Sam and she abruptly silenced herself? However, it can be possible for Sam to be an aggressor, but not quite as likely. Though from what we've seen, we'd like to think that would be the case. I think she would would more easily because of her past. With her father abandoning them, her mother's constant neglect, her prior failed relationships, she would truly not want this to fail and fear that most of all while also I believe she's afraid of letting people close to her, so Freddie is not the first she's let close. I think she'd try harder with him to do right, and when she fails or it looks like the relationship's going to fail, BAM, there it is. And yes, I'm told I overanalyze, but it's only for the sake of conversation. Yes I'm aware the chances of this happening on the show are slim, but either way...

Fireofnature

[128]Sep 9, 2011
    RiciSmokes2 wrote:
    Ohhhhh-kayyyyy!!!! @FON did u make those numbers up? Lol. There always seems to be a lil bit of a dark streak to your more well-thought out post. We really don't know how much time Freddie may have spent with his dad. He may see him on the weekend, and it hasn't been established yet, like with Gibby's dad. And to dismiss Spencer as a reliable father figure is a little unfair, esp bc u think he is portrayed as wimpy. Most importantly he is portrayed as being strong of character, which is what u need to be a good role model. (really I think it's impossible to go into the characterization of anyone on iCarly, bc it's absurdly exaggerated for jokes.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

No....I'm just a deep thinker. I don't make any numbers up either, having been through some of the stuff I've been through, it's easy to see the signs in things. We automatically assume Freddie's dad is out of the picture, just as Carly's mother is. As for Sam, we KNOW for a fact how things are for her.

As for Spencer, perhaps the use of "wimpy" is the wrong word, but the point there is he does not show success in relationships. The one time he appeared to take a stance and actually say "No", Carly underminded him anyway.

Fact of the matter is, I've gone through psychology classes, I've been in an emotionally and physically abusive relationship, so it's not hard to analyze things. The one factor that points Freddie out as a little odd is that bit with the knife in that one episode...but either way. I usually give my ideas just for the sake of conversation, not for the sake of ridicule or being told it couldn't happen in any way possible...I know it's probably hard to happen on iCarly, but if the characters were real (yes I realize they're not) or if this were on any other channel, my points are VERY plausible.

Fireofnature

[129]Sep 9, 2011
    Something is wrong with my computer, it isn't letting me edit my posts....so I'm sorry for the double postings.....

But anyway, I wanted to point out, we've always talked openly about how Sam was emotionally abusive to Freddie or the mental issues that Sam's actions could cause him, so why can't we do the same for Freddie? Does that make sense? I mean...it's clear that Sam might have some issues, but so would he.

RiciSmokes2

[130]Sep 9, 2011
    • level: 7
    I wasn't dissing your over-analyzing. Over-analyze away. I was analyzing with you lol. I just felt u were being a little dark and hard on Spencer. He has been portrayed as silly, but he has been portrayed as strong of character and he has a moral compass. So he is a role model for Freddie. Failure in relationships doesn't make you a failure in life, or unable to help a boy in life. I find Spencer to be a good balance, for the always nutty Mrs. Benson. And we don't know about Freddie's dad, he might have a good figure and a normal step mom.

Fireofnature

[131]Sep 9, 2011
    Very true very true. My browser seems to be the problem. It just doesn't want to load this thread XD. But yeah, Spencer may be a good role model, but I still think he should assert himself a little more. I mean look at how easily he lets Carly talk over him or the others just ignore him. Like that sneak peak, Sam and Freddie walk in the room, Spencer's like "You don't live here!" and they ignore him. Granted they were arguing, but still it's a good example.

Mrs. Benson's a bit too nutty, yes. I still say that IF Freddie were to become an aggressor, Sam probably wouldn't take it so easily. Yes, the first couple of times she'd fight back, but assuming Freddie knows her past pretty well, an aggressor can use that. In fact, look at this (horribly gender specified) video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6bHoV1yW7Y&feature=related

Seriously though, horribly specified. I mean, women aren't the only ones...

vanillacupcakes

[132]Sep 9, 2011
    But wouldn't this be the first time Freddie has really tried to take control?? Up until season 4, Freddie has always been the one pushed around. Sure, his mother was over controlling, but the way he was raised was to be obedient(especially toward her mother). I am of the opinion that Sam liked Freddie when he started to become more assertive. She "likes it when (he) gets all feisty". She probably likes when he fights back. Freddie never takes it too far to the point where Sam gets hurt. Well I guess that's only because iCarly is a comedy...but still. When Sam is at her most vulnerable, Freddie doesn't act aggressive towards her. I think the difference is that since they are in a relationship, Freddie and Sam's expectations for each other and their relationships are a lot higher. As friends, they had no problem with these differences, but in a romantic relationship their standards are going to change. Freddie has always been a perfectionist and being with Sam must be something different to adjust to.

IA with the Sam part, but she's stubborn enough to want to do things on her own. She has a "pushy" side herself, like when she's making Freddie pay for the giant smoothie. She does want to please him, like in iOMG she acted helpful and considerate all day , but at the same time being bossed around a lot will annoy her and she's not going to stay quiet about it. I really do think Carly is the moral compass and role model of the group and that is one of the reasons they drag Carly into all of their arguments. I think Sam being with Freddie, Carly, and Spencer is one of the reasons she won't end up like her mother. She spends more time in Carly's apartment than her own home. Yes, looking at how everybody fails at relationships psychologically could mean that they don't really know how to handle one properly. I am just of the naive and hopeless romantic sort of idea that each character deserves to have a long relationship that works out this time. There aren't many good adult influences on the show besides Spencer. I always liked that they didn't have a parent that preached a "lesson" in the end, but that always makes me a little curious.

ilivelovemusic

[133]Sep 9, 2011
    • level: 5
    Just adding my two/(ten?) cents here. iCarly is a comedy though and a lot of things that has happened in the show are unrealistic. So it doesnt really mean that that would apply to their relationship. Aside from that I too like it when Freddie gets all feisty And idk if VC posted the one with Jenette singing about seddie... But THAT was crack up. Oh and can someone please give me a link to a DL for iDS&F? Thanks in advance.

teenj12

[134]Sep 9, 2011
    • level: 26
    Meh, now I see why Carly's so perfect...she has to be to be a role model to those around her (Sam, Fred, and even Spenc).

KJLwriter

[135]Sep 10, 2011
    • level: 8
    I am really excited for this episode tonight!

Fireofnature

[136]Sep 10, 2011
    Same

teenj12

[137]Sep 10, 2011
    • level: 26
    KJLwriter wrote:
    I am really excited for this episode tonight!

Oh thank you, I almost forgot it was tonight!!!

vanillacupcakes

[138]Sep 10, 2011
    Anybody want to give me a working live stream?? Not a download link, because I'm not allowed to download anything "illegally" on campus(they catch everybody).

hurr05

[139]Sep 10, 2011
    • level: 10

This relationship is SOOOO Jimmy/Cindy from Jimmy Neutron

Fireofnature

[140]Sep 10, 2011
    Excuse me but do none of you see the thread where Teen and I have discovered that valerie's actress and Dan have apparently been talking about a sequel, possibly including her character? Yeah, the "sequel?" thread. Yeah, go check it out and discuss please . This is serious, because if this is true, then it could mean several things, such as Sam/Freddie possibly being together in the future, because this "sequel" is being written around June 18...which means the air date for it would be much later in the year...