We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

Rating Check

JohnMckeon

[1]May 15, 2011
    • level: 5

Do you think that this show a TV-G rated show has some inapropaite themes for it's rating, for example in "-Fix a "Pop star" Ginger Fox throws a fork into Fredie and stabs him while in his body. Another example in the show in sams quote Ginger fox writen in a magizine 6 years ago saying that she was the sexist women alive, Carly also says "yeah that is really sexy." Please comment.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

saylavee

[2]May 15, 2011
    • level: 18

Hmm, well first, lets take a look at what each ratings mean:

tv ratings

iCarly is rated "G" for "General Audience" so let's take a look at what a rated G show is usually defined as

"Most parents would find this program suitable for all ages. Although this rating does not signify a program designed specifically for children, most parents let younger children watch this program unattended. It contains little or no violence, no strong language and little or no sexual dialogue or situations."

Personally I've seen kids shows with much worse stuff, but that was during the 90s. And in my opinion, a fork going through his shoulder isn't that bad, and the "sexy" comment, who cares? Its not like I didn't go out side the other day and hear a bunch of 8 year old talking about being strippers in each others harems and using the F word every other sentence. Oh wait I did. And there is MUCH more hidden adult humor in iCarly. Kid's just won't really understand is as much.

Face it, times are changing for the worse when it comes to what is appropriate on tv. Back in the 90s, they even took shots at the censors missing what they throw in there. and no one cared. kids were innocent kids still. Now, everyone makes jabs at what is appropriate or not, the shows aren't what they used to be, and kids know WAAAAY to many things they shouldn't know at age 8.

I think I went off topic. Oh wells, I'm in a rush and I haven't posted in weeks xD

pscf3

[3]May 15, 2011
    • level: 16
    I think if they made a movie it would have to be rated PG. the only reason it's G right now is because all the " bad innuendos" are "hidden".

RomanZolanski

[4]May 15, 2011
    • level: 12
    Ok like really? ANOTHER thread discussing how 'inappropriate' iCarly is? Just two days ago a mother outside of my house was screaming at her child using the f word, telling him to take no sh*t from no other kids. She's telling him to fight back, and he's what, 7? I walked to my house the other day and I heard 6 year olds swearing at each other.

Let's face it, kids aren't getting inappropriate subjects from TV, they're getting it from friends, school and FAMILIES.

iCarly's innunedoes aren't affecting audiences because it isn't even that bad. The worst iCarly's done was using the word crab, and made it sound like crap. The sex innunedoes won't be understood by children, and those that DO understand them are already using inappropriate language and know about sex. Exhibit A: ME!

teenj12

[5]May 15, 2011
    • level: 26
    Agreed with Saylavee and Romnan Also the word "sexy" is allowed to be used freely on any rated show. Fairly Odd Parents uses the word frequently.

Diamondgrl13

[6]May 15, 2011
    • level: 6

RomanZolanski wrote:
    Ok like really? ANOTHER thread discussing how 'inappropriate' iCarly is? Just two days ago a mother outside of my house was screaming at her child using the f word, telling him to take no sh*t from no other kids. She's telling him to fight back, and he's what, 7? I walked to my house the other day and I heard 6 year olds swearing at each other. Let's face it, kids aren't getting inappropriate subjects from TV, they're getting it from friends, school and FAMILIES. iCarly's innunedoes aren't affecting audiences because it isn't even that bad. The worst iCarly's done was using the word crab, and made it sound like crap. The sex innunedoes won't be understood by children, and those that DO understand them are already using inappropriate language and know about sex. Exhibit A: ME!
    Idk...I mean, I agree, it's not THAT bad...but I think it does occasionally cross the line for what would be acceptable for a "kid's show" (and that kiss in iPsycho was WAY inappropriate and seems to me was not even noted at all for that, which bothers me greatly) And just because it's not THAT bad, doesn't make it right either. Just sayin. Just because our society accepts certain things now as "ok" doesn't make it any less wrong. And I disagree that "kids aren't getting inappropriate subjects from TV"...YES, they get it from all those other places, but they get it from TV too....it's everywhere. Very sad, but true. It's why I was so disappointed in iPsycho. Even in kid's shows, they have stuff that shouldn't be acceptable. That's why we need to really support anything that's good and wholesome because there's certainly not enough of that out there right now!

RomanZolanski

[7]May 15, 2011
    Diamondgrl13 wrote:

RomanZolanski wrote:
    Ok like really? ANOTHER thread discussing how 'inappropriate' iCarly is? Just two days ago a mother outside of my house was screaming at her child using the f word, telling him to take no sh*t from no other kids. She's telling him to fight back, and he's what, 7? I walked to my house the other day and I heard 6 year olds swearing at each other. Let's face it, kids aren't getting inappropriate subjects from TV, they're getting it from friends, school and FAMILIES. iCarly's innunedoes aren't affecting audiences because it isn't even that bad. The worst iCarly's done was using the word crab, and made it sound like crap. The sex innunedoes won't be understood by children, and those that DO understand them are already using inappropriate language and know about sex. Exhibit A: ME!
    Idk...I mean, I agree, it's not THAT bad...but I think it does occasionally cross the line for what would be acceptable for a "kid's show" (and that kiss in iPsycho was WAY inappropriate and seems to me was not even noted at all for that, which bothers me greatly) And just because it's not THAT bad, doesn't make it right either. Just sayin. Just because our society accepts certain things now as "ok" doesn't make it any less wrong. And I disagree that "kids aren't getting inappropriate subjects from TV"...YES, they get it from all those other places, but they get it from TV too....it's everywhere. Very sad, but true. It's why I was so disappointed in iPsycho. Even in kid's shows, they have stuff that shouldn't be acceptable. That's why we need to really support anything that's good and wholesome because there's certainly not enough of that out there right now!

Agreed, but wait wait wait, what was wrong about the iPsycho kiss?

pscf3

[8]May 15, 2011
    The homo one^^.

Kids get language from parents, music, Internet,tv,other kids, I could sit here and make a list forever, kids get this stuff from all over the place.

RomanZolanski

[9]May 15, 2011
    Wait, so a homosexual kiss is considered 'inappropriate' & sex-related?

pscf3

[10]May 15, 2011
    I'm really not gonna get into that.....

futuramarama

[11]May 15, 2011
    • level: 37
    full house, boy meets world, and various other sitcoms were TV-G, and even then they still said some mild swears (hell, ass, damn...). iCarly hasn't headed down that road. there may be some innuendos, but that is just a way to let the grown ups watching laugh too. it's not like the kids will get every innuendo, they might not even get any of them, depends on how subtle. in response to saying 'sexy', it's just a word. sexy is more acceptable than sex, and it's kinda obvious. if a kid hears sexy, they'll wanna know what it means. 'pretty, beautiful' are responses a parent could give (or whatever the parent wants to say). those aren't bad. but if a kid hears 'sex', they'll wanna know, and obviously parents won't tell their little kid what that means. there's been a lot of topics on whether or not iCarly is suitable for kids, because of the innuendos and jokes and stuff. it's really not that bad. it's not the cleanest kids show ever of course, but it is clean enough. I'll bet if i sat down with my sisters' fiance's 9 year old twins, and there was an innuendo, they would not pick up on it. that's OK. it is just a way for adults to have fun watching too. what kind of adult wants to watch a show aimed at kids with ONLY kiddy jokes? they'll fall asleep and lose interest. it's not like kids are watching shows like south park, family guy, etc.

iCarly is generally a safe show with a mild innuendo here or there. that doesn't really make it inappropriate. and like i said, shows like Full House, they sometimes swore in them, and it is not like iCarly has sworn. The worst thing about the show is the innuendos, but those are not that bad. I know some parents might not like Sam's aggressive behavior (i know some parents who did not like Angelica on Rugrats, so it would not surprise me if people disliked Sam), but it is not inappropriate. To make the show inappropriate there would have to be more sex jokes, some swearing, and various other things the show does not do now, and will never do. iCarly is rated TV-G, for general audiences. Not every episode is going to be completely clean with no innuendo, and that is fine.

RomanZolanski

[12]May 15, 2011
    Ok.

vanillacupcakes

[13]May 15, 2011
    I agree with most of the people who posted here. iCarly isn't that bad. I can't stand how older people think everything is "inappropriate" for kids. They're basically looking at the littlest mistakes. "Oh, (insert Disney star here) is such a bad role model she just swore". "Oh, this show referenced sex". Meanwhile, the kids don't even notice. The kids I know that watch the show are always requoting the silliest/stupidest parts of the show. I also hate how people think that just because Sam is hitting somebody, they think that other kids might hit somebody too. I haven't ever seen that happen. I thought some specific episodes were Y7?? Or was that only Drake&Josh?? Oh, idk anymore.

I would say shows like Family Guy are a bigger issue for what kids are watching, not shows like this. This is definitely not the most inappropriate G rated show.

pscf3

[14]May 16, 2011
    Haha, nice Miley reference.

vanillacupcakes wrote:
    I agree with most of the people who posted here. iCarly isn't that bad. I can't stand how older people think everything is "inappropriate" for kids. They're basically looking at the littlest mistakes. "Oh, (insert Disney star here) is such a bad role model she just swore". "Oh, this show referenced sex". Meanwhile, the kids don't even notice. The kids I know that watch the show are always requoting the silliest/stupidest parts of the show. I also hate how people think that just because Sam is hitting somebody, they think that other kids might hit somebody too. I haven't ever seen that happen. I thought some specific episodes were Y7?? Or was that only Drake&Josh?? Oh, idk anymore.

I would say shows like Family Guy are a bigger issue for what kids are watching, not shows like this. This is definitely not the most inappropriate G rated show.

teenj12

[15]May 16, 2011
    vanillacupcakes wrote:

Agreed. A lot of kids (even my 5 yr old sister) watch Family guy and South Park, but its always shows like iCarly that are deemed inappropriate .

pscf3

[16]May 16, 2011
    That's because iCarly's " aimed for kids". The others "aren't".

teenj12 wrote:
    vanillacupcakes wrote:

Agreed. A lot of kids (even my 5 yr old sister) watch Family guy and South Park, but its always shows like iCarly that are deemed inappropriate .

teenj12

[17]May 16, 2011
    Why did you put in quotes? I'm not dumb.
    pscf3 wrote:
    That's because iCarly's " aimed for kids". The others "aren't".

teenj12 wrote:
    vanillacupcakes wrote:

pscf3

[18]May 16, 2011
    Gah, I've written a couple of responses to that already, and I don't know how to explain it, it you don't get it, I guess you don't get it.

Diamondgrl13

[19]May 16, 2011
    • level: 6
    RomanZolanski wrote:

Is that a REAL question?????? Please tell me you're kidding!!! If not, that's really sad that you think that's ok.

teenj12

[20]May 16, 2011
    Diamondgrl13 wrote:
    RomanZolanski wrote:

Is that a REAL question?????? Please tell me you're kidding!!! If not, that's really sad that you think that's ok.

Lol at the list of people on the iCarly boards who are against homosexuality .