We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

iRamble - The Official iCarly Off-Topic Thread

teenj12

[6541]Sep 6, 2012
    • level: 26

marcdragicevic wrote:
    teenj12 wrote:
    marcdragicevic wrote:
    teenj12 wrote:
    marcdragicevic wrote:

I'm still puzzled over why school starts in the middle of the year in America, why not in February. The start of the year, should be the start in my view.

Lol, Feb seems like such a random time to start school! I mean in America, September is always viewed as the unofficial beginning of the year, mainly because it starts everyone going back to their usual schedules (School and work) after the summer break (May/June-August).
    It's a bit weird for me. Why don't people have a long break over Christmas, they can go on holidays and such especially over New Year's Eve. It's probably just due to the Summer is December down here, while winter is in America up there.
    We do get breaks . One for Thanksgiving and a bit longer one for Christmas. Then Spring Break in March/April.
    Haha, I know that. I meant as in 'a 6 week break,' the longest break between different year levels. Also, with the Autumn/Fall - America may be the only country to start calling it 'fall.' I wonder why they changed it years back.
    Haha, I like saying Autumn too sometimes. But "Fall" is easier to roll out the mouth .

Edited on 09/05/2012 11:43pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MusicAddictBabe

[6542]Sep 6, 2012
    • level: 18
    Actually, it's kinda weird...a lot of schools in America don't even follow the same routine. Like, when I was growing up, we didn't have a spring break. We did during my last couple years in high school. I always found that odd. But we always ended up other longer breaks or something like that. And I always loved that our school would get out for summer a lot earlier than schools in the state right next to us. For the 'United States', we definitely do a lot of random individual state things. (Like, Arizona doesn't even follow Daylight Savings Time.) And I don't think it's weird, I just don't understand why we're not all on the same page with stuff.

Speaking of the "autumn/fall" thing, how come America is the only country who doesn't use the metric system?

marcdragicevic

[6543]Sep 7, 2012
    • level: 21
    Who knows, America is a bit of an odd country in certain ways. I would much prefer them to use the metric system, it would be so much easier. Words are also spelt different between USA and Australia. Example - Colour > Color. Down here - College and Highschool are exactly the same thing. After College/Highschool yr 7 to year 12, you go to Uni. (University). I'll look around to see if America will actually use the metric system within the next 50 years or so, very doubtful.

teenj12

[6544]Sep 7, 2012
    My science teacher disapproves of using America's system. He say we should always use the Metric system in his class. I think its stupid we don't use it. Its so much easier. About the Colour/Color thing, I think its because of accents. Could be wrong. Besides, why spell Color with the U anyway? One less letter to put, the better .

teenj12

[6545]Sep 7, 2012
    Also, I started school today .

MusicAddictBabe

[6546]Sep 8, 2012
    Yeah. In any science class I've taken, it's the same way - we use the metric system. And it is kind of weird that we dropped one letter from words like that. It's like the whole 'grey/gray' thing. I swear it's because some American citizen long ago decided to make things as complicated as possible for the future.

RiciSmokes2

[6547]Sep 8, 2012
    • level: 7

It's not that different when u think about how many languages evolved from Latin. (I remember being super frustrated when all my Hispanic friends picked up French sooo much faster than me, but they share some root words with slight differences.) Or how different some words in Australia are from Britain and from America. Or how people in northern Europe evolved blonde hair just bc they were further north. I think difference are common in all languages like Castilian Spanish and Mexican Spanish. Separation breeds differences. We are oceans apart.

Edited on 09/08/2012 1:49am

teenj12

[6548]Sep 8, 2012
    MusicAddictBabe wrote:
    Yeah. In any science class I've taken, it's the same way - we use the metric system. And it is kind of weird that we dropped one letter from words like that. It's like the whole 'grey/gray' thing. I swear it's because some American citizen long ago decided to make things as complicated as possible for the future.
    I still don't know whether to say grey or gray.

MusicAddictBabe

[6549]Sep 8, 2012
    ^ Ha! You're not alone because neither do I.
    Somebody told me awhile back, but I forgot.

teenj12

[6550]Sep 11, 2012

Unhappy 9/11 guys :/ . Wow I'm getting old on this site. I remember talking about 9/11 with you all in 2010 and 2011 .

I've watched some coverage today, but this year's memorial was a tad too intimate for me . I would have liked if the President at least said something, but I missed most of the memorial, so Idk if he did or not.

Edited on 09/11/2012 3:09pm

BrookeParker

[6551]Sep 11, 2012
    • level: 12
    I meant to post about 9/11. Very tragic. It kinda made me a lil' mad at the time. I thought about that I was in school. It was VERY immature of him to do that. Also, Unhappy 9/11 to you as well. Hehe. :/ Didn't really think about it like that.

MusicAddictBabe

[6552]Sep 11, 2012
    TJ12 - I was just thinking about that earlier when I thought of it being 9/11. I remember coming on this thread and talking about where we were when it happened and last year, I think I started a 'moment of typing silence' sort of thing. Then, I realized how fast these years are going, not to mention how long I've been on here.

It kind of makes me wanna go back through some of these threads to look at some really old discussions because I know my views on some things (at least iCarly-related anyway) have changed drastically since then. I can't even remember a time I wasn't on this forum, but I know for sure I wasn't.

I'll be completely honest, though, I kind of forgot it was 9/11 at first. I thought about it last night and forgot about it until I heard "Proud to Be an American" at the cafe on campus around noon. They also had the memorial ceremony on, but I couldn't hear it at all. And I only saw a small bit of it. Although, I did see a picture on Facebook of the construction site and how far they are now.

RiciSmokes2

[6553]Sep 12, 2012
    I forgot until I started reading the news (can't watch anymore everybody trying to force their politics on you) then I said some prayers. Mr. Obama spoke at the Pentagon memorial yesterday.

teenj12

[6554]Sep 12, 2012
    MusicAddictBabe wrote:
    TJ12 - I was just thinking about that earlier when I thought of it being 9/11. I remember coming on this thread and talking about where we were when it happened and last year, I think I started a 'moment of typing silence' sort of thing. Then, I realized how fast these years are going, not to mention how long I've been on here.

It kind of makes me wanna go back through some of these threads to look at some really old discussions because I know my views on some things (at least iCarly-related anyway) have changed drastically since then. I can't even remember a time I wasn't on this forum, but I know for sure I wasn't.

I'll be completely honest, though, I kind of forgot it was 9/11 at first. I thought about it last night and forgot about it until I heard "Proud to Be an American" at the cafe on campus around noon. They also had the memorial ceremony on, but I couldn't hear it at all. And I only saw a small bit of it. Although, I did see a picture on Facebook of the construction site and how far they are now.
    I definitely remember the "moment of typing silence" you started. That was extremely creative and its nice to have our own little tribute to the tragic day.

I actually went back a few pages on the forum and read some things, especially in the older Seddie topic pages. I too realize how different my opinions and ideals are too. I do agree that the years are passing really fast . On 9/11, I was actually home from school cause the bus forgot me, then I had reminded my mom of it around 11AM. The thought kinda skipped my head that morning, but the night before I remembered what it was going to be tomorrow

@Rici: Oh yea, I had saw coverage of that on the news. But only watched the New York Memorial.

marcdragicevic

[6555]Sep 13, 2012
    MusicAddictBabe wrote:

Speaking about the metric system, would you regard 30C as a cold/warm/hot day? I want to see if you have a good understanding of it.

marcdragicevic

[6556]Sep 13, 2012
    Can't believe it's been 11 years since 9/11. Time flies.

MusicAddictBabe

[6557]Sep 13, 2012
    TJ12 - Thanks and yeah, it is. One of the first things that came to mind when I thought about old topics was the the Seddie thread haha. I remember how big of a Seddier I was back then. Not as crazy as some people were but definitely a fan. There's also that HUGE section of off-topicness in that thread. Of course...it's still kinda like that I guess. I also remember some of the users who haven't been on in a really long time.

Marc - Hot, if I know right. Where I live, that's basically about the temperature it's been all summer.

marcdragicevic

[6558]Sep 13, 2012
    30C is sorta hot. 30C = 86F. It reached 30C on Christmas day last year where I live. On new years eve, it reached 35.6C / 96F. Our summers can get hot.

RiciSmokes2

[6559]Sep 14, 2012
    And here I thought we had hot Christmas' in Georgia. The one time it snowed (that I can remember) we all just went ballistic and it was probably not even an inch.

marcdragicevic

[6560]Sep 14, 2012
    I still remember back in early February 2009, where the temperature got up to 48.8C / 120F somewhere in my state. Around 46 to 48 for most of the state that day.