We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

iCarly has officially finished filming for the final time. 20th of June 2012.

marcdragicevic

[81]Jul 22, 2012
    • level: 21
    The only thing bad about the show I think, is the seasons were way too short. Too much of a break between episodes.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Fireofnature

[82]Jul 22, 2012
    • level: 13
    All very true, and yes, the breaks in between episodes were too long. I mean it always felt like we were waiting for a break in between seasons to end while we were waiting for the next damn episode. And the break was never worth sitting through a 30 minute episode that flew by like a 10 minute episodes. I prefer shows and episodes with more substance that can make a 30 minute episode seem like a fantastic 45 minutes! I mean seriously, how many of you would look at a chocolate chip cookie and go for the one with 3 chocolate chips as opposed to the one with 8. I think that was just a big killer, not enough happening within an episode and it went by way too fast, making the whole many month long wait between episodes just simply not worth it.

vanillacupcakes

[83]Jul 23, 2012
    • level: 16

@teenj: Yeah, I agree, but I do think that's more of ruining the fandom rather than the show. Like...it may ruin episodes for me with their drama, but that's only affecting how I see the show, not how the show actually is. It could maybe ruin the ratings with the boycotts(although I think that number is small and insignificant...not sure about that), but I don't think they directly caused the show to be the way it is right now. I think the only episodes they ruined was the arc(well...iSAFW too).

With the arc, it felt like Dan kept thinking of the audience in his mind. When he started it off he wanted a "surprise/shock" ending in favor of Seddie, so they'd flail and freak out. Since it was so surprising, there wasn't that much development leading to it. The couple didn't even start off right. Plus he had 4 episodes focused around a couple, which isn't the essence of iCarly. I honestly can't remember a funny moment of iCan't Take It. You cannot tell somebody that was a "classic" iCarly episode, if that makes sense.

After that, it seemed like Dan was doing things how he wants things to be and not how the fans want things to be. I guarantee most Seddie shippers wanted Sam and Freddie to stay together, say "I love you", and be in a serious relationship ala Beck/Jade season 1. Dan did not make that the case. He broke them up and didn't even put any "post break up" drama into it. He just puts his own bizarre, random humor in it and doesn't really give a chiz about fanservice(f.e. iApril Fools). In the past, he was able to deal with shippers when they were extremely crazy and put out good episodes. He is especially okay with doing it now. Anything regarding the bad episodes now is basically because of guest stars(iGo One Direction, iMeet the First Lady) or because of the writers not knowing what to do. Dan putting in one line of "He's still in love with me; it's kind of sad" or "Is it too late for you to love me?" didn't ruin the episode itself, whether he was appealing to shippers or not. You can tell it's still Dan's style and not a fanfic. If you watched them and didn't look at the responses on the internet, it wouldn't affect you at all. When it comes to the actual "iCarly it factor" it had to do with the writers and Nick. They are doing the same jokes that aren't funny anymore. It gets old. Saying "Gibbaaayyyy" in every episode gets SO old, and people won't like it.

But I will say that shipping killed this fandom. It killed people's enjoyment of the show. It may have made people quit the iCarly fandom. However it's not like Glee or something where the writer wants to pull out a new relationship after 3 episodes to cater to the fandom, only to ruin the show.

Yeah, although I do think that they are straying away from the webshow. It doesn't have to do with the plot anymore for a lot of episodes. It seems like the characters are growing out of school problems and webshow problems, and just more about their life in general....which I think is kind of lame. I don't even think iCarly will even touch on the things they could with the webshow except maybe in the finale. Maybe.

@marc: Yeah IA. Tbh I did like the newer episodes(minus the One Direction one). It's just not worth waiting months for an episode like it, like FON said. If they regularly showed these episodes it would be fine. It did "change" though, so I can see why people don't like it. Also, I feel like they haven't given Spencer good subplots. The one where he gives the little girl a makeover was horrible.

@FON: Maybe it's just me, but I think they may have put more commercials in it and made the episode shorter by a minute or so. It also makes all the difference. It just flies by. Yet they'll spend 90 minutes doing a Victorious crossover that drags on forever. I'm glad their finale will be an hour long, they better make every minute of that worthwhile. Every minute!!

teenj12

[84]Jul 23, 2012
    • level: 26

vanillacupcakes wrote:

@teenj: Yeah, I agree, but I do think that's more of ruining the fandom rather than the show. Like...it may ruin episodes for me with their drama, but that's only affecting how I see the show, not how the show actually is. It could maybe ruin the ratings with the boycotts(although I think that number is small and insignificant...not sure about that), but I don't think they directly caused the show to be the way it is right now. I think the only episodes they ruined was the arc(well...iSAFW too).

With the arc, it felt like Dan kept thinking of the audience in his mind. When he started it off he wanted a "surprise/shock" ending in favor of Seddie, so they'd flail and freak out. Since it was so surprising, there wasn't that much development leading to it. The couple didn't even start off right. Plus he had 4 episodes focused around a couple, which isn't the essence of iCarly. I honestly can't remember a funny moment of iCan't Take It. You cannot tell somebody that was a "classic" iCarly episode, if that makes sense.

After that, it seemed like Dan was doing things how he wants things to be and not how the fans want things to be. I guarantee most Seddie shippers wanted Sam and Freddie to stay together, say "I love you", and be in a serious relationship ala Beck/Jade season 1. Dan did not make that the case. He broke them up and didn't even put any "post break up" drama into it. He just puts his own bizarre, random humor in it and doesn't really give a chiz about fanservice(f.e. iApril Fools). In the past, he was able to deal with shippers when they were extremely crazy and put out good episodes. He is especially okay with doing it now. Anything regarding the bad episodes now is basically because of guest stars(iGo One Direction, iMeet the First Lady) or because of the writers not knowing what to do. Dan putting in one line of "He's still in love with me; it's kind of sad" or "Is it too late for you to love me?" didn't ruin the episode itself, whether he was appealing to shippers or not. You can tell it's still Dan's style and not a fanfic. If you watched them and didn't look at the responses on the internet, it wouldn't affect you at all. When it comes to the actual "iCarly it factor" it had to do with the writers and Nick. They are doing the same jokes that aren't funny anymore. It gets old. Saying "Gibbaaayyyy" in every episode gets SO old, and people won't like it.

But I will say that shipping killed this fandom. It killed people's enjoyment of the show. It may have made people quit the iCarly fandom. However it's not like Glee or something where the writer wants to pull out a new relationship after 3 episodes to cater to the fandom, only to ruin the show.

Yeah, although I do think that they are straying away from the webshow. It doesn't have to do with the plot anymore for a lot of episodes. It seems like the characters are growing out of school problems and webshow problems, and just more about their life in general....which I think is kind of lame. I don't even think iCarly will even touch on the things they could with the webshow except maybe in the finale. Maybe.

Yea, I hate that the arc ever happened. Because your right, it was just Dan trying to cater to fans.

What I would have like was something like this:

- Sam and Freddie get together in iLost My Mind

- Instead of the arc, it would just be regular episodes. Have Freddie and Sam act all couple-y

-A few episodes later, they do iLove You, where Sam and Freddie break up.

In my opinion, the arc was extremely unnecessary and shouldn't have existed. That was a serious flaw in S5.

Another flaw being some of the episodes. Like iMeet The First Lady. Not that good of an episode. It felt super short. Then there was iBalls, which also felt short. iQ seemed oddly misplaced, like it shouldn't have been in S5. It also felt kinda short.iBloop 2 was terrible. iToe Fatcakes was good. But in my opinion the best episode of Season 5 was iStill Psycho. I felt that deserved to be a S4 episode.

About iStart A Fan War, yea that episode caused controversy, but no more than the usual shipping episode (iSaved Your Life, iThink They Kissed) and the Spencer subplot totally saved it, so its kinda redeemable to me.

Season 5 was overall a mediocre season..I mean it was decent and started off really good (iLost My Mind), but the arc was just terrible.

Edited on 07/23/2012 3:11pm

vanillacupcakes

[85]Jul 24, 2012
    Well if it happened that way, then Sam and Freddie would have no reason to break up. You wouldn't have these problems if those two plots didn't exist. I just think the best thing is to just get rid of the stupid arc, just have Freddie say in the follow up episodes "I don't know what I'm feeling right now, this happened so fast, your kiss was so unexpected and sudden, let's just wait and see, etc" and go back to regular episodes. Then figure that chiz out for Freddie in the finale or something. Joining in on this!
    iMeet the First Lady: Guest star episode. I freaking LOVE Michelle Obama(favorite FLOTUS), but they wrote the episode around and for the guest star, instead of the guest star playing a role that was already written by Dan(like Jim Parsons did). Dan focused an episode on a message, something he usually hates to do.
    iGo One Direction: Same issue as above, minus the message part(which makes it worse imo). It makes iCarly "dated", something iCarly tries not to be. Plus, part of the episode is them performing their song. iBalls: I liked it, but the issue was Miranda being gone. The show needs Carly, hence the title iCarly. I really loved Spencer and his assistant though.
    iQ: The same old storyline about Carly liking a guy and being shallow. It's been done before.
    iToes Fatcakes: Nothing memorable about this, because nothing really happened. The "conflict" of Sam not getting across the border lasted a few seconds. iBloop 2: Barely any bloopers, TOO MUCH REX, bloopers should be on the DVD extras or something since there's no real plot, etc.
    iPsycho 2: Pretty good, I guess...but it's basically a repeat of the same scenario but with Mrs. Benson saving them instead of Gibby. It's the exact same plot!
    iApril Fool's: No plot and completely random.
    iHalfoween: I liked this one, but I get why people don't like it. The thing with Nevel was concluded, only to go back to the same plot of Nevel trying to destroy iCarly. I like Nevel's shenanigans though, so I didn't mind. iBattle Chip: Another one I liked, but can see that people find Chuck(c'mon Chip is no different than Chuck) vs. Spencer old as well. iPear Store: Carly is shallow with another guy. Seen a million times before. Another guy is a douche and hits on her. He acted and even looked like Jonah. The fire department story....predictable and the fire gag is so old.
    That leaves iOwn a Restaurant as being the closest to something good. Too bad people don't realize it because they're too busy freaking out over Freddie "loving" Carly again. I do have an issue with Freddie going back and forth between two best friends, but it wasn't a serious enough moment to ruin the episode or anything. Episodes where I felt Spencer was lacking compared to his usual self: iDate Sam and Freddie, iBalls, iBloop 2, iMeet the First Lady, iToes Fat Cakes, iGo One Direction, iHalfoween, and iPear Store.
    Episodes where I felt Gibby wasn't important: iDate Sam and Freddie, iLove You, iQ, iBloop 2, iBalls, iMeet the First Lady, iToes Fat Cakes, iApril Fools, iHalfoween, and iPear Store.
    Tying it up issues are: Overused plot, guest star ruining plot, no plot/real conflict, no Carly, Spencer is not at his full potential, and Gibby is irrelevant. I think that's a little bit different of an issue than the arc. The arc had new plots, but ruined the humor and Sam and Freddie as characters. Post arc is just reverse of that.

Well, I felt like with iSAFW, the characters were literally talking to fans and shippers. Dan basically made this episode specifically to tell shippers a message. The other episodes were just shippy episodes. The fans were crazy, but it wasn't like Dan was catering/rebelling/trolling them in the episodes. I think he genuinely would have written these despite the iCarly fanbase. Plus, those episodes were all funny. I don't really like Jack Black and I didn't care for the subplot in iSAFW, so maybe that's why. A lot of the humor in the episode was their costume battle.

BrookeParker

[86]Jul 24, 2012
    • level: 12

Liked the "chocolate chip cookie" metaphor. Lol. Good one. Wink

BrookeParker

[87]Jul 24, 2012

But the D word? Really? But it's understandable.

teenj12

[88]Jul 24, 2012
    Good point about Spencer and Gibby. I feel like Spencer's been pushed to the back a little bit. I don't think we've had a Spencer episode since iGet Pranky. Which is very saddening. Then Gibby never gets any real plots despite being a main character now. Usually he's just a fourth wheel.

vanillacupcakes

[89]Jul 24, 2012

BrookeParker wrote:

But the D word? Really? But it's understandable.

Uhhhh what?

Lol, I am one of those people who gets the cookie with the least amount of chocolate chips. I'm a rare species.

@teenj: Gibby never had a purpose, but he's gotten even worse. Spencer was the best character on the show, and I think they should take advantage of him and give him good subplots.

Diamondgrl13

[90]Jul 24, 2012
    • level: 6

vanillacupcakes wrote:

Lol, I am one of those people who gets the cookie with the least amount of chocolate chips. I'm a rare species.

Me too!

marcdragicevic

[91]Jul 25, 2012
    vanillacupcakes wrote:

@marc: Yeah IA. Tbh I did like the newer episodes(minus the One Direction one). It's just not worth waiting months for an episode like it, like FON said. If they regularly showed these episodes it would be fine. It did "change" though, so I can see why people don't like it. Also, I feel like they haven't given Spencer good subplots. The one where he gives the little girl a makeover was horrible.

It happens with Victorious. The first season of both shows were 20 episode in lengths; but why do they reduce the season length after that.

teenj12

[92]Jul 25, 2012
    marcdragicevic wrote:
    vanillacupcakes wrote:

It happens with Victorious. The first season of both shows were 20 episode in lengths; but why do they reduce the season length after that.
    Because Dab us writing both shwos at the same time. Too much work to write 20 eps for both every season.

marcdragicevic

[93]Jul 25, 2012
    Dab? Fair enough then.

BrookeParker

[94]Jul 25, 2012
    The metaphor should be really simple if you thing about it! Lol. And @vanillacupcakes, when I said about the D word, I figured you probably got confused, or whoever read about that.

vanillacupcakes

[95]Jul 25, 2012

Idk....I feel like Dan should just focus all of his energy on 1 show at a time. I'd rather have 1 good show than 2 bad ones. And are there new episodes of either show on right now? I feel like it's been awhile since the last Victorious. With Jennette's new show on it's way, Victorious will never get Dan's full attention. I feel like they had such long hiatuses for Miranda and Jennette to continue their music careers and tour...but honestly I don't care for either's music career. I do like Jennette's voice and Miranda's songs, but I wouldn't go to their concerts.

@Brooke: Yeah, I was confused. I didn't see any of the d words I was thinking of in this post....what word are you talking about?? Everything I see is appropriate here.

Edited on 07/25/2012 8:54pm

marcdragicevic

[96]Jul 26, 2012
    I know what dab means, not in that context above.

vanillacupcakes

[97]Jul 26, 2012
    Lol I'm pretty sure he meant Dan.

marcdragicevic

[98]Jul 26, 2012
    Oh, opps. The other poster confused me.

teenj12

[99]Jul 26, 2012
    vanillacupcakes wrote:
    Lol I'm pretty sure he meant Dan.
    Yea, I meant Dan . I have no idea what I was on when I made that post, it has so many spelling errors .

BrookeParker

[100]Jul 27, 2012
    @vanillacupcakes I meant the cuss word @fireofnature mentioned. Just sayin.