We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Official Book 2: Spirits Discussion Thread

RaizenYusuke

[41]Oct 12, 2013
    • level: 28

Verrick being a villain surprised me. He was a selfish and really only started civil war in the South because it was messing with his business, but this was a step further then I expected. It has me wondering if this was all just to buy controlling interest in Future Industries or if he has bigger plans then this? Is he going to sell the mech tanks to someone else? Is he trying to prolong the civil war to make more profit from the war or does he have something else in mind?

I don't think Asami kissing Mako is going to lead anywhere or unnecessary. It was a moment of weakness where she felt vulnerable. It happens. Asami has been cool about all of this so doubtful the writers will reintroduce the love triangle. Mako's story without a romance works better to me. Last season his whole story revolved around Korra and Asami. Both girls had their own stories aside from Mako he didn't, so he felt like he didn't develop much. The detective job is really good for his character development. Bolin acted like ass it does seem like it's going somewhere. Ginger was telling him how he had to distinguish what was real and what was fake, foreshadowing how Bolin learns of Verrick true colors he'll have to learn things aren't always what they appear. It will be a good lesson for him and force him to grow as a person.

The ending was shocking. Korra washed up on Fire Sage's island (I think) and lost her memory. I expected Aang to show up and start talking to her to help her sort everything out like how Roku did for him. Maybe it's just me, but Unalaq had no idea where Korra was even though he went into the Spirit World makes me have hope that he really is a anti-villain and trying to restore spiritual balance.

On the technology front that they can have motion pictures, but the internet could still be way off. If you look at our real history despite having motion pictures in 20s and 30s that internet was still a long way off. Realistically speaking since Avatar universe had Industrial Revolution in the original series with Fire Nation's advancements that it is believable that in 70s years technology could get tothis level of motion pictures.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Flashheat

[42]Oct 13, 2013
    • level: 14

One thing I'm really curious about is what the deal with the Dark Spirits are. There seem to be too many Dark Spirits running around for it to simply be the Southern Water tribe not being spiritual enough. I have a feeling Unalaq has something to do with it, given he came out of the Spirit World when his kids went to that area to meet them, but can't be sure.

It also seems odd Unalaq can waterbend the spirits into coming down, but even Avatar-powered Korra can't, which means there has to be something more to this, unless he's a natural "spirit bender", similar to Amon's bloodbending ability, an Combustion Man's "unique" style of Firebending.

And was surprised at Varrick being villainous. I enjoyed how hilariously overly eccentric he was, but he didn't strike me as the evil type. I'm assuming he's mostly doing it for the money(alluded to when he mentioned that wartime is the best time to increase profits), but possibly an ulterior motive?

Fourarms10

[43]Oct 13, 2013
    • level: 24

I was glad that Bolin finally stood up for himself, but he didn't have to do it in that manner or in that situation. Especially since his brother and friend are risking their own safety. I'm not sure why the technological growth is such a bad thing. Even ATLA had machines that we didn't have in the 1850s (The Drill for example). Plus when you have 3 nations mixed together, it'd make sense. Now after rewatching the episode though, I don't have any opinion of the kiss anymore. I now see why it's there, but I don't have any regards on it. Looks like our Moxy Mako is learning not to fully accept it.

Edited on 10/13/2013 8:24am

RaizenYusuke

[44]Oct 13, 2013
    Does anyone have any rating data for LoK? The season feels its turning more people off to the show. If it does really bad I'm afraid Nick will cancel its order for next 2 books. It's not like they show re-runs or repeats this season to begin with and changing times wasn't advertised on Nick channel itself. I'm worried.

SPDShadowRanger

[45]Oct 13, 2013
    • level: 72
    Episodes are average 2 million viewers. You shouldn't worry about ratings at all. Cable channels have far more room to work with and often run shows with just 1 million viewers for multiple seasons.

Fourarms10

[46]Oct 16, 2013
    I only watch Nick just to watch TLOK just like how I only watch CN for Ben 10. But I feel as if some other show is taking over Nick that's not Spongebob.

SPDShadowRanger

[47]Oct 18, 2013
    • level: 72
    And if this makes you guys feel better...at Comic Con Michael and Bryan said that Janet (korra) has already been recording her dialogues for Books 3 and 4.

RaizenYusuke

[48]Oct 19, 2013

I really liked the Beginning. I thought it did a good job explaining the origin of the Avatar and why only he can bend all four elements why it reincarnates as a human as oppose to just staying a spirit. Wan and Rava (I probably spelled that wrong) were great characters. The evil spirit (who I guess is the anti-Avatar of sorts) made sense. Light and Darkness connected with each other. All in all I say it was a great episode. The question is Unalaq being manipulated by the dark spirit into unleashing it for the battle between light and darkness that takes place every 10,000 years or is he trying to help Korra fight it in a misguided attempt?

I loved that adult Aang return in a cameo, but also got speaking roles for Roku, Kiyoshi, and Kuruk (I know I spelled his name wrong). I love they all know this story and tell it to Korra so she understands. I do hope we see more of Aang guiding Korra in the future. I'm not saying Aang needs to be shown all the time, because his time is over, but just have pop up once or twice in book like how Roku popped up from time to time. The episode was great it reminded me of Avatar and the Firelord from the original series.

Edited on 10/19/2013 1:21am

brandonmiller63

[49]Oct 19, 2013
    • level: 3

Prediction time: Unalaq (sp?) has been going in and out of the spirit world and now we know that Batu is locked up there. Avatar Juan closed the portal to the spirit world which Korra just opened back up. Don't forget a little thing called the Harmonic Convergence is coming up very soon. Now that I have set the scene. I think it will end in an epic battle on the same plane in the spirit world that Juan fought, but with a twist. After seeing how powerful the Avatar Juan and Ralla combo was, Batu will possess Unalaq to become a sort of Dark Avatar. If this happens at the end of the entire series light will win.If this happens at the end of the season, the Dark Avatar will escape into the real world and cause all kinds of havoc in the next season. What do you think? I always enjoy speculating on what could happen.

RaizenYusuke

[50]Oct 19, 2013
    I really wish Nick ordered book 2 before production for book 1 was done. If they had I would have loved for Amon to have gotten his ability to take bending away from Vaatu as oppose to learning how to do it with blood bending. Amon's fake story of how he got the gift just meshed so well with Vaatu's storyline. It would have a neat little connection. I suppose they can still do that. Amon's journey between leaving his home and turning up in Republic City is largely unknown. He could have visited the Spirit World and encountered Vaatu who then could convinced him that he was the savior and the Avatar was a failure. I think Verrick is the one being manipulated by Vaatu more than Unalaq at this point. Verrick has been the one pushing for Civil War and prolonging it. Sure we thought all this time it was just about making money, but now that we know Vaatu get stronger from conflict and hate it subjects Verrick's actions.

Flashheat

[51]Oct 19, 2013
    Really good episodes and surpassed my expectations, but that's nothing new for the Avatar series.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Batu attempt to create a sort of Dark Avatar, though the whole Avatar thing only happened because Wan and Rava visited the four Lion Turtles and borrowed their power, something I doubt Batu would do. Dark Avatar might get wicked sweet laser beams though(I seriously can't get over how awesome Batu's spirit laser beams were).

Unalaq either working with/against Batu could also explain why he's able to pacify the dark spirits(and on another note, the episode perfectly answered my concern on there being too many dark spirits for it to just be the Southern tribe's fault).

The origin of the Avatar cycle was really interesting and I really liked Wan and Rava, and how the Avatar was able to use all 4 elements, and became the bridge between the spirit and material worlds was interesting. It also explains why dying in the Avatar State(when I'm assuming Rava asserts herself) would also end the cycle, doing so would kill Rava, who is the one retaining the Avatar's extra elements. I'm assuming Rava's presence is also the reason why the Avatar is able to commune with their past lives, and all the other things that can be explained away as "Well, Avatar stuff."

While I could also see Varrick being the one working with/being manipulated by Batu, I'm honestly leaning more towards Unulaq being the guy, mostly for the few key reasons.

1) He's the one who wanted the spirit realm open, which is where Batu is imprisoned.
    2) He can "calm" the dark spirits, something Batu could have taught him.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if Varrick was involved. Plus Varrick seems to focus solely on profit, getting money, etc, and helping Batu end the world as we know it doesn't seem like the best way to turn a profit(barring the whole Dark Avatar and having a metric ton of power thing as a possibility).

My 2 cents anyways.

qtwanderer

[52]Oct 19, 2013
    • level: 27
    I waited only to see these two episodes, and I did enjoy them. Raised a couple of questions , like dragons, we see Wan(?) mimicking the way the dragon moved like how Zuko and Aang did so we can kinda see how dragons taught firebending but I thought with waterbending, people learned by watching the moon and ocean. We also got to see "air nomads", interesting how they all had tats, though not in the same arrow form we usually see, must be a cultural thing. But since bending was given by lion-turtles, is the art hereditary? And what was the lion turtle from the last series talking about? He said people would bend the energy in themselves before bending the elements. It looks like lion-turtles gave the art and was given to anyone that lived in its city. And I swear if they find anymore air bisons and not one air nomad....or atleast a dragon.....

RaizenYusuke

[53]Oct 19, 2013

qtwanderer wrote:
    I waited only to see these two episodes, and I did enjoy them. Raised a couple of questions , like dragons, we see Wan(?) mimicking the way the dragon moved like how Zuko and Aang did so we can kinda see how dragons taught firebending but I thought with waterbending, people learned by watching the moon and ocean. We also got to see "air nomads", interesting how they all had tats, though not in the same arrow form we usually see, must be a cultural thing. But since bending was given by lion-turtles, is the art hereditary? And what was the lion turtle from the last series talking about? He said people would bend the energy in themselves before bending the elements. It looks like lion-turtles gave the art and was given to anyone that lived in its city. And I swear if they find anymore air bisons and not one air nomad....or atleast a dragon.....
    We don't know exactly when people and animals stopped bending energy though. All the lion turtle said was the era before the Avatar people bent energy. There is a lot of room for energy bending to go from common skillto a lost ability before Wan became the Avatar.

I believebending is hereditary in part.At the end of the episodes the lion turtles let people keep their power, but decidednot give people anymore. The certain people with element power are most likely the people whopassed down the bending gene.

The lion turtleslent the power to people to defend against spirits so they could gather food then give the power back. Wan was banished helet him keep the power of fire so he could survive in the forest.The episode did do a good job in distinguishing having the power over the art of bending. You can see the guards just threw fire around and was crude about it. Wan learned from a dragon (which synchs up with the series) that he created the dancing dragon style and moving like a fire bending master. The lion turtles have humans the power of the elements the humans actually created art of bending/styles by watching dragons, air bison, badger moles, and the moon respectively.

Flashheat

[54]Oct 19, 2013
    Aah, I get it now. The references made in The Last Airbender series about hoe people learned bending from the moon/air bison/moles, etc. I always took it literally and thought they meant they actually figured otu how to bend the elements from those things. But this episode cleared things up, they did already HAVE the ability to bend, but they learned how to use the elements instead of just throwing them around willy-nilly. I like the extra depth this episode expands on the original series with.

RaizenYusuke

[55]Oct 19, 2013

That's another reason I loved the episode. It added more depth to the show's mythology and expanded on things. I too thought they learned to bend elements from the animals or moon, which I didn't understand why only some people could do it and how they got saddled with one element.

I do wonder if Unalaq is opening the spirit world to free Vaatu or if he is doing it so Korra can got there to battle him. It would be a nice twist to have Unalaq be anti-villain. Everyone pegged him as villain cause his attitude and personality even when he was making sense. I was disappointed the writers went that route. I'm hoping that this isn't Unalaq wants to be the Dark Avatar, but returns toa morally gray character. Alternatively Vaatu could be manipulating both Unalaq and Verrick to cause enough conflict to strengthen it for his battle with Korra.

Mosk915

[56]Oct 19, 2013
    • level: 2

I think that Unalaq will be similar to Tarrlok in season 1. He initially seemed like he was an antagonist (not necessarily the main villain) but in the end he helped Korra defeat Amon. The same thing may happen with Unalaq. On a similar note, it seems strange that so far in this series all the antagonists are water tribe (Amon, Tarrlok, Unalaq, Varrick). Maybe this is the creators way of distinguishing it from the original series when all the villains were fire nation.

qtwanderer

[57]Oct 19, 2013
    • level: 27
    That makes sense, as those animals could "bend", it would've been smart to learn better control over bending by watching them. I thought bending was hereditary as well but also a sort of spiritual thing because it looked as though all air nomads could airbend. I remember reading somewhere that it was because they were the most spiritual culture in the avatar world. The ep did show how they were living with spirits in their particular village.

I was hoping there would or could be the possibility that there are others that could in some way airbend, high hopes. Cool to see how the original form of airbending involved riding clouds, much more cooler imo.

jegolas1973

[58]Oct 19, 2013
    • level: 22

I think Beginnings is epic. Once again, Aang has a speaking role in this episode. Also, for the first time in the entire series, Roku, Kyoshi, and Kuruk are seen communicating with Korra. But, of course, we see Wan, the man who would become Avatar. Finally, at the end, Korra really learns her role as the Avatar. She must now go back and close the Southern Portal. She is the bridge between the natural and spiritual worlds.

Fourarms10

[59]Oct 20, 2013
    So how about that Fire Nation eh? Moving on. It's nice we learned about how the cycle started and why the cycle is the way it is. The episodes already had foregone conclusions (We knew Wan was going to win otherwise, we'd have no show), but they were great flashbacks in general. However, if Energybending gives a non-bender his/her abilities, doesn't that mean Korra could give the Acolytes Airbending if she mastered Energybending?

teenj12

[60]Oct 20, 2013
    • level: 26
    Fourarms10 wrote:
    However, if Energybending gives a non-bender his/her abilities, doesn't that mean Korra could give the Acolytes Airbending if she mastered Energybending?
    It's possible that only the Lion Turtles can use that specific capability of energybending.

Onto the episode, it was absolutely amazing. I had chills the entire time. Wan is a great Avatar and his final battle with Vatu was one of the best fight scenes in the entire franchise. I like the idea of the Avatar Spirit being a woman. It kind of shuts up people who had a problem with the first Avatar being a guy. The final scene in the flashback was perfectly done. Wan dying and the cry of a new baby being born. Fantastically done. Overall, I hope this learning experience makes Korra wiser and less egocentric. She's been a bit out of control this season.