We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Official Book 2: Spirits Discussion Thread

SPDShadowRanger

[61]Oct 20, 2013
    • level: 72
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    I really wish Nick ordered book 2 before production for book 1 was done. .

They did.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

qtwanderer

[62]Oct 20, 2013
    • level: 27
    So where is the harmonic convergence suppose to take place and where did it take place when Wan fought?

RaizenYusuke

[63]Oct 20, 2013
    • level: 28
    Isn't it in the Spirit World?

qtwanderer

[64]Oct 20, 2013

Precisely, why wasn't Aang able to bend when he was in the spirit world? Unless its not really the spirit world, the place did look kinda small in terms of those 2 beams of light being the north and south poles..

I also don't really understand why he wasn't able to..another mystery to solve

Edited on 10/20/2013 6:24pm

Mosk915

[65]Oct 20, 2013
    • level: 2

When Aang went into the spirit world, his body didn't actually go into the spirit world, only his spirit did. When Wan went into the spirit world, it was his actual body that went in (same as Unalaq). This could be why Wan was able to bend but not Aang.

qtwanderer

[66]Oct 21, 2013
    Ah, well then thats it, that must be the answer.
    I can't find any real holes in the story, which means it was one well thought out piece of work.

Later

Fourarms10

[67]Oct 21, 2013
    • level: 24
    Something tells me that this episode took place during The Sting. That way, the writers wouldn't have to add the other three to the two partner. And it prevents any out of place events.

qtwanderer

[68]Oct 21, 2013
    The Sting?

RaizenYusuke

[69]Oct 21, 2013
    qtwanderer wrote:
    The Sting?
    The name of the episode where Mako finds out Verrick is a bad guy.

MajLorne

[70]Oct 21, 2013
    • level: 21

RaizenYusuke wrote:

That's another reason I loved the episode. It added more depth to the show's mythology and expanded on things. I too thought they learned to bend elements from the animals or moon, which I didn't understand why only some people could do it and how they got saddled with one element.

I do wonder if Unalaq is opening the spirit world to free Vaatu or if he is doing it so Korra can got there to battle him. It would be a nice twist to have Unalaq be anti-villain. Everyone pegged him as villain cause his attitude and personality even when he was making sense. I was disappointed the writers went that route. I'm hoping that this isn't Unalaq wants to be the Dark Avatar, but returns toa morally gray character. Alternatively Vaatu could be manipulating both Unalaq and Verrick to cause enough conflict to strengthen it for his battle with Korra.

I totally agree.

I would be disappointed if Unalaq was the main villain because he wanted power. If it was manipulation by Vaatu or he's doing this heavy handed approach to get people ready to battle Vaatu then I think that would be a far better option and break from the predictable route. I think, with the way this episode played out, Vaatu will make an appearance again as either a spirit or possessing someone as the 'anti-avatar'. I wouldn't be surprised if Vaatu had people representing each elements captured and then steal their powers and possessing someone (possibly Unalaq) to be a being like that.

On the Varick issue, I dunno if he was influenced by anything. He could be just a war profiteer and just doing whatever makes him the most money. I will say that I did think he was a little shifty at first and the whole aloof thing made the twist at the end of the previous week that much 'unexpected'. It also made his character that much more interesting and a lot better than Amon simply taking away people's bending or Tarlak wanting to impose a sort of martial law on the city.

RaizenYusuke

[71]Oct 25, 2013

I understand whypeople think Verrick is just a war profiteer. Honestly that's probably the most likely option and what I was thinking before the Beginning.Everyone theorized Unalaq is free Vaatu and become the Dark Avatar afterthe episode I thought back to Verrick. In the Sting I was theorizing if he was just profiting from the war and buying Future Industries or if he was going to use those mechs for something else. When we learned about Vaatu and how he thrives on conflict and Verrick has been the one pushing for war as oppose to Unalaq (who expected Korra to keep the peace and not war). I admit it obvious hewants a profit from it, but still we have such little background on Verrick. His being a villain was genuinely more surprising for people than Unalaq. I think even the people who theorized Verrick was the one behind the bombing in Peacekeepers would probably say Unalaq being a villain was more obvious than Verrick.

I may be overthinking this, but I still feel like Unalaq is too obvious and Verrick is still such a unknown that it's possible he could be involved in Vaatu's plot, rather its intentional agent or being subtly manipulated by Vaath the same way he did to Wan's human and spirit friends to make them fight so he can get stronger. I noticed Spirit arc has had a plot of things are not what they seem running since the start. We found out Aang didn't want Korra on the compound, but Tenzin and her dad did. Aang and Katara's family wasn't as perfect as we assumed it would be. Verrick'seccentric wealthy guy who befriends everyone is darker than we realized. Unalaq is another obvious one. Maybe, just maybe the clues pointing to Unalaq trying toawaken Vaatu and wanting to become the Dark Avatar is another deception and Verrick is the one we shouldn't blow off.

SPDShadowRanger

[72]Oct 25, 2013
    • level: 72
    The character development has definitely been one of the highlights this season. Makes the episodes even better.

And to solve a "mystery" for some people.....Korra reunites with Tenzin in the next episode.

yoyorey2025

[73]Nov 4, 2013
    • level: 8
    Fourarms10 wrote:
    Can you believe that we were THIS close in to seeing the Firelord, Zuko, AND the Fire Nation? I think this is another case of "Trolling Creator". Here's hoping they do show this season.

yea korra was supposed to go to the firenation to meet with the firelord and ask to help the SWT....Then it just switched

Mosk915

[74]Nov 4, 2013
    • level: 2

After this last episode my guess is that Desna an Eska will switch sides and end up helping Korra fight against Unalaq. That seems to be how the Avatar stories normally go. It was Zuko in ATLA and Tarrlok in LOK season 1.

Edited on 11/04/2013 7:28pm

RaizenYusuke

[75]Nov 8, 2013

OMG Iroh I returns to help Korra!

MajLorne

[77]Nov 8, 2013
    • level: 21
    I am glad it was the real iroh and not an impersonator. Also chuckled over the library owl buying the tiny man in the radio mis info. So overall, i am liking this side of the show over the republic city issues with varick. Episodes like this makes me wonder how they even had two different plots going on. Unalaq must've promised something really good if the owl would turn against jinora like that. Then again, he's probably still pissed at the avatar from the episode where they betrayed his trust over using the eclipse knowledge. Poor librarian guy, i mean yeah he was trapped there for decades. I just hope he died of old age than dying after the library sunked below the sands.
    so great nod to the previous series with those two characters.

yoyorey2025

[78]Nov 9, 2013
    • level: 8

Iroh I comes back. Sweeeet!

Kwando7

[79]Nov 9, 2013
    • level: 18

MajLorne wrote:
    I am glad it was the real iroh and not an impersonator. Also chuckled over the library owl buying the tiny man in the radio mis info. So overall, i am liking this side of the show over the republic city issues with varick. Episodes like this makes me wonder how they even had two different plots going on. Unalaq must've promised something really good if the owl would turn against jinora like that. Then again, he's probably still pissed at the avatar from the episode where they betrayed his trust over using the eclipse knowledge. Poor librarian guy, i mean yeah he was trapped there for decades. I just hope he died of old age than dying after the library sunked below the sands. so great nod to the previous series with those two characters.

Well going by real life rules no food allowed in the library so.... 0.0

So why did Korra turn into a child?

RaizenYusuke

[80]Nov 10, 2013

I hate to say this, but Mako, Asami, and Bolin being absent didn't effect the story at all. In fact I think adding them here would have hurt the episode overall. In the begining I was hopeful that they would all get good character development, but the book is almost done and they have been left out in the cold. Verrick plot, which looked promising now seems obvious it will have very little to do with the Vaatu plot and if that's true it seems doubtful Mako, Bolin, and Asami parts in this story will be B plot material. There are 4 episodes left, so I hope I'm wrong, but Asami, Bolin, and Mako aren't treated as main characters. At best they are secondary characters this book. New Team Avatar isn't getting the development that the Original Team Avatar got so far. I'm very disappointed in how Bolin is purely comic relief guy and given very little focus out of all 4 of them when we see potential there. I really hope the Verrick story pays off if not in this book then in book 3 because it will impact Bolin the most and make him realize he needs to grow up a bit.

I hope the love triangle isn't the only plot that will be given to Asami and Mako. I didn't mind the kiss in the Sting because Asami at a low point and it was understandable. They seemed like they got back together in the Guide. I really don't want a love triangle to be the dynamic of Korra, Mako, and Asami for the whole series. I would rather have Korra and Mako be done for good and keep Asami and Mako together then go revisit that storyline again. It would be cool if they resolve this before book 2 ends with maybe Mako and Asami realize they have residue feelings left over that it's better they don't get back together. Maybe book 3 just has Korra, Mako, Asami single to focus on other aspects of their characters kind of like what this season was attempting to do.