We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Official Book 2: Spirits Discussion Thread

Kwando7

[81]Nov 10, 2013
    • level: 18

RaizenYusuke wrote:

I hate to say this, but Mako, Asami, and Bolin being absent didn't effect the story at all. In fact I think adding them here would have hurt the episode overall. In the begining I was hopeful that they would all get good character development, but the book is almost done and they have been left out in the cold. Verrick plot, which looked promising now seems obvious it will have very little to do with the Vaatu plot and if that's true it seems doubtful Mako, Bolin, and Asami parts in this story will be B plot material. There are 4 episodes left, so I hope I'm wrong, but Asami, Bolin, and Mako aren't treated as main characters. At best they are secondary characters this book. New Team Avatar isn't getting the development that the Original Team Avatar got so far. I'm very disappointed in how Bolin is purely comic relief guy and given very little focus out of all 4 of them when we see potential there. I really hope the Verrick story pays off if not in this book then in book 3 because it will impact Bolin the most and make him realize he needs to grow up a bit.

I hope the love triangle isn't the only plot that will be given to Asami and Mako. I didn't mind the kiss in the Sting because Asami at a low point and it was understandable. They seemed like they got back together in the Guide. I really don't want a love triangle to be the dynamic of Korra, Mako, and Asami for the whole series. I would rather have Korra and Mako be done for good and keep Asami and Mako together then go revisit that storyline again. It would be cool if they resolve this before book 2 ends with maybe Mako and Asami realize they have residue feelings left over that it's better they don't get back together. Maybe book 3 just has Korra, Mako, Asami single to focus on other aspects of their characters kind of like what this season was attempting to do.

Funnily enough a summary for the next episodehas Bolin saving President Raiko and Asami busting Mako out. Apparently the next two weeks are going to feature double episodes. Not sure if sources are legit.

I hope book2 sets Verrick as the villain for book 3but how do you top the source of all evil in the world?Been sort of thinking (And dreading)that Korra ends with everyone loosing their bendingand Rava leaving Korra's body.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RaizenYusuke

[82]Nov 10, 2013
    • level: 28
    I hope that summary is legit, because it would give Bolin and Asami something worth wild to do.

MajLorne

[83]Nov 15, 2013
    • level: 21

spoiler warning
    ***SPOILER***

Edited on 11/15/2013 6:29pm

Kwando7

[84]Nov 15, 2013

MajLorne wrote:

spoiler warning
    ***SPOILER***

Bolin's skills were pretty cool.
    ***SPOILER***

MadameTamma

[85]Nov 15, 2013
    • level: 7

If there will be a dark avatar, then I have no problem with that. It could be interesting, but I don't want it to be Korra's uncle. The Avatar series has come up with some truly fascinating villians, Azula, Ozai, Amon, even Verrick is a great comedic bad guy, but her uncle is just not interesting to me. Granted I think his schemes are interesting, but he himself is just doesn't have a compelling personality. We already knew he was going to be a bad guy from his first scene so there was no surprise there, and his thirst for power and willingness to betray his own family to get it is nothing new that we haven't seen in this show At least I think so.

Maybe they could have a completely new character come in as the dark avatar for book 3, but as it stand now I shudder to think that evil uncle what's his face, will be the world's first dark avatar was the new end all be all bad guy.

Kwando7

[86]Nov 15, 2013

Don't think that's going to happen based on some screen shots for the next episode, which is going to be aired before next week. Well guess we'll be waiting another year for the next Book. Pretty curious as to what it's going to be.

Edited on 11/15/2013 11:05pm

RaizenYusuke

[87]Nov 16, 2013

Nick posted the finale of book 2 online. I watched the 4 remaining episodes on their site.

***SPOILER***

Kwando7

[88]Nov 16, 2013

RaizenYusuke wrote:

Nick posted the finale of book 2 online. I watched the 4 remaining episodes on their site.

***SPOILER***

I was a little disappointed
    ***SPOILER***

wonder what Book 3 is going to be wish there was a teaser for it

Edited on 11/16/2013 12:12pm

RaizenYusuke

[89]Nov 16, 2013

Don't worry Kwando you're not alone. From what I gathered on the discussion on the episode on the community it's a split between people who really liked it and people who were really disappointed. I find funny how both Korra finales was split into people who really liked it or were really disappointed. I wonder if this will be continued pattern for book 3 and book 4 finales?I was disappointed with book 1's finale, yet really liked book 2's finale. Overall I liked book 2, but felt it was weaker than book 1. I can wait patiently for book 3 I think, but it would be cool if Comic Con in San Diego this summer they could us the name of the book 3. If they can't Iunderstand.

Flashheat

[90]Nov 16, 2013
    • level: 14
    Wow, was not expecting Zhao to make an appearance. First thought. "Wait, how is he there, didn't he die?" when I remembered "D'oh, that's right, he didn't he was dragged off to never be seen again by the Ocean Spirit."

Seeing Iroh 1 again was nice, and Wan Shi Ton was an unexpected surprise.

Really enjoyed the finale, the Dark avatar battle was awesome.

MajLorne

[91]Nov 16, 2013

RaizenYusuke wrote:

***SPOILER***

well said totally agreed. I enjoyed the episodes as well. Not the perfect end, but still satisfying enough. As always the music score is excellent.
    ***SPOILER***

Edited on 11/16/2013 2:35pm

Flashheat

[92]Nov 16, 2013
    I do like how he had a personal jail cell made for himself just in case he ever got arrested.

jegolas1973

[93]Nov 16, 2013
    • level: 22

MajLorne wrote:

RaizenYusuke wrote:

***SPOILER***

well said totally agreed. I enjoyed the episodes as well. Not the perfect end, but still satisfying enough. As always the music score is excellent.
    ***SPOILER***

I, too, saw the remaining episodes and it was fantastic. I'm not revealing how it ends but I will say it has to do with people and spirits living together. Can they really do so in harmony and peace? Korra answers that question in the last episode of the season.

MajLorne

[94]Nov 16, 2013

RaizenYusuke wrote:

Don't worry Kwando you're not alone. From what I gathered on the discussion on the episode on the community it's a split between people who really liked it and people who were really disappointed. I find funny how both Korra finales was split into people who really liked it or were really disappointed. I wonder if this will be continued pattern for book 3 and book 4 finales?I was disappointed with book 1's finale, yet really liked book 2's finale. Overall I liked book 2, but felt it was weaker than book 1. I can wait patiently for book 3 I think, but it would be cool if Comic Con in San Diego this summer they could us the name of the book 3. If they can't Iunderstand.

Yeah, I mean it wasn't the worst finale, but I too think it was a little better than book 1 where Korra just air 'kicked' amon out of the window and amon was killed by his brother. It was a let down because Korra was outmatched and never got to finish Amon off in a fair fight. Other than the non redeeming factor of Unalaq (basically another power mad ozai), I think it was pretty good. Book 1 was more focused and book 2 seemed like it was trying to jam 2 story lines in a season with the varick one basically getting the short end of the stick just to fill time or keep the others occupied while Korra was on her own. The main positive is that there was more character development especially with Aang's kids, so it sorta fills some of the issues about book 1 putting off character development for the plot.

I think some should take Tenzin's 'advice' don't try to compare this show to a:tlab and watch this show for what it is.

Edited on 11/16/2013 5:29pm

Flashheat

[95]Nov 16, 2013
    Thing that bugged me about Unalaq was he just turned into another generic "huehuehue I'm going to DESTROY THE WORLD!" villain. I would've preferred if it just turned out that Vaatu was betraying him, and while Unulaq honestly did want to bring harmony between spirits and people, Vaatu convinced him the way he was doing things was how it should be done, and then just dropped the charade once the Dark Avatar fusion happened.

Although I was lightly confused about the Dark Avatar completely outmatching the Avatar in battle, especially given the Avatar has 10,000 years of combined experience and power behind it, and is capable of bending all 4 elements, while the Dark Avatar only pumped up Unulaq's power and only had his waterbending and sweet laser beams.

Although considering Vaatu and Unulaq became permanently fused like Wan and Rava did, possible for the Dark Avatar to begin it's own new cycle alongside the Avatar's? I mostly say this because while Korra did "purify" the Dark Avatar and cause it to dis-corporate, it was both stated and demonstrated it's impossible for one to kill the other permanently.

Also, I'm curious how things will amp up for Book 3. I mean, the original series Big bad wanted to destroy or subjugate any country that wasn't his own and make Firebenders supreme. Amon wanted to get rid of all bending. Vaatu is literally the embodiment of evil and chaos and wanted to end the world as we know it. I'm really interested in seeing how they'll up the ante from there.

Kwando7

[96]Nov 16, 2013

Well Korra had been fighting through the day which is the only reason I can think of. If I could change it I would have had Unalaq kill his brother that scene was just too good to not have been a final show of what Tonraq was capable of. Jinora would have stayed in the spirit world as a sort of guardian spirit for travellers and more Asami would have been cool to see her in the final battle shame she gets the short end of the stick with all the Mako crap

Edited on 11/16/2013 8:30pm

RaizenYusuke

[97]Nov 16, 2013

Flashheat wrote:
    Thing that bugged me about Unalaq was he just turned into another generic "huehuehue I'm going to DESTROY THE WORLD!" villain. I would've preferred if it just turned out that Vaatu was betraying him, and while Unulaq honestly did want to bring harmony between spirits and people, Vaatu convinced him the way he was doing things was how it should be done, and then just dropped the charade once the Dark Avatar fusion happened. Although I was lightly confused about the Dark Avatar completely outmatching the Avatar in battle, especially given the Avatar has 10,000 years of combined experience and power behind it, and is capable of bending all 4 elements, while the Dark Avatar only pumped up Unulaq's power and only had his waterbending and sweet laser beams. Although considering Vaatu and Unulaq became permanently fused like Wan and Rava did, possible for the Dark Avatar to begin it's own new cycle alongside the Avatar's? I mostly say this because while Korra did "purify" the Dark Avatar and cause it to dis-corporate, it was both stated and demonstrated it's impossible for one to kill the other permanently. Also, I'm curious how things will amp up for Book 3. I mean, the original series Big bad wanted to destroy or subjugate any country that wasn't his own and make Firebenders supreme. Amon wanted to get rid of all bending. Vaatu is literally the embodiment of evil and chaos and wanted to end the world as we know it. I'm really interested in seeing how they'll up the ante from there.
    I wouldn't say Unalaq completely outclassed Korra. They were even for most of it until he knocked her into the crater and once Raava gave Korra apep talk she started dominating the battle, pushing Unalaq back until Vaatu was forced to rip Raava out of Korra to win.There are a lot of factors to consider though for why Dark Avatar and Avatar were even. Vaatu gains powerfrom conflict and hate. Most of this season Vaatuand Unalaq have been corrupting spirits and creating conflict, so Vaatu had been slowly building up power. He also used theenergy from spirit portals to gain power like Wan original did to fuse with Raava in the first place. That was what let him breakout his prison. In terms of power Raava and Vaatu were probably in the same ball park, but ultimately I think Korra had more because of the thousands of Avatars powering Raava. I think the power didn't show up because Korra didn't stay in the Avatar State continuouslythe way Aangused to do before he mastered it. The continuous way Aang used it let him channel all the power of Raava and the pasts Avatars at once, but the way the Avatars usually used it is to go in the State for a brief time to borrow some power and knowledge to use instead of channeling the whole thing at once and risk getting killed and destroyingthe Avatar Spirit.

I also hated how generic Unalaq became in this.It was one of the faults I had with the episode.They tried to savage Unalaq's depth by having him want to become the Dark Avatar because he feels spirits and humans shouldn't be separated, but it failed. If Unalaq cared about the spirits he would know that Vaatu was corrupting theminto perverted versions of themselves. His quest comes off as a vanity trip than anything else. What they messed up wasUnalaq fused withVaatuhe didn't get backstabbed. He wasn't possessed like Iexpected, butreally did fuse with Vaatu and actually chose to destroy everything.Instead of being a morally gray villain who hadgood points and a good cause where he went about it wrong, he was well Ozai. He wanted powerand become a god of a new era. He was a step down from Amon.

Kwando7

[98]Nov 16, 2013

RaizenYusuke wrote:

Flashheat wrote:
    Thing that bugged me about Unalaq was he just turned into another generic "huehuehue I'm going to DESTROY THE WORLD!" villain. I would've preferred if it just turned out that Vaatu was betraying him, and while Unulaq honestly did want to bring harmony between spirits and people, Vaatu convinced him the way he was doing things was how it should be done, and then just dropped the charade once the Dark Avatar fusion happened. Although I was lightly confused about the Dark Avatar completely outmatching the Avatar in battle, especially given the Avatar has 10,000 years of combined experience and power behind it, and is capable of bending all 4 elements, while the Dark Avatar only pumped up Unulaq's power and only had his waterbending and sweet laser beams. Although considering Vaatu and Unulaq became permanently fused like Wan and Rava did, possible for the Dark Avatar to begin it's own new cycle alongside the Avatar's? I mostly say this because while Korra did "purify" the Dark Avatar and cause it to dis-corporate, it was both stated and demonstrated it's impossible for one to kill the other permanently. Also, I'm curious how things will amp up for Book 3. I mean, the original series Big bad wanted to destroy or subjugate any country that wasn't his own and make Firebenders supreme. Amon wanted to get rid of all bending. Vaatu is literally the embodiment of evil and chaos and wanted to end the world as we know it. I'm really interested in seeing how they'll up the ante from there.
    I wouldn't say Unalaq completely outclassed Korra. They were even for most of it until he knocked her into the crater and once Raava gave Korra apep talk she started dominating the battle, pushing Unalaq back until Vaatu was forced to rip Raava out of Korra to win.There are a lot of factors to consider though for why Dark Avatar and Avatar were even. Vaatu gains powerfrom conflict and hate. Most of this season Vaatuand Unalaq have been corrupting spirits and creating conflict, so Vaatu had been slowly building up power. He also used theenergy from spirit portals to gain power like Wan original did to fuse with Raava in the first place. That was what let him breakout his prison. In terms of power Raava and Vaatu were probably in the same ball park, but ultimately I think Korra had more because of the thousands of Avatars powering Raava. I think the power didn't show up because Korra didn't stay in the Avatar State continuouslythe way Aangused to do before he mastered it. The continuous way Aang used it let him channel all the power of Raava and the pasts Avatars at once, but the way the Avatars usually used it is to go in the State for a brief time to borrow some power and knowledge to use instead of channeling the whole thing at once and risk getting killed and destroyingthe Avatar Spirit.

I also hated how generic Unalaq became in this.It was one of the faults I had with the episode.They tried to savage Unalaq's depth by having him want to become the Dark Avatar because he feels spirits and humans shouldn't be separated, but it failed. If Unalaq cared about the spirits he would know that Vaatu was corrupting theminto perverted versions of themselves. His quest comes off as a vanity trip than anything else. What they messed up was Unalaq fused with Vaatu he didn't get backstabbed. He wasn't possessed like I expected, but really did fuse with Vaatu and actually chose to destroy everything. Instead of being a morally gray villain who had good points and a good cause where he went about it wrong, he was well Ozai. He wanted power and become a god of a new era. He was a step down from Amon.

Agreed, I would have enjoyed seeingUnalaq as a gray villain too coming to realise he was wrong which caused his defeat.So any predictions for book 3 Raizen?Who else thinks there will be aWaterbender as a bad guy?

...Something just occurred to me wasn't Grey Delisle (Azula) suppose to play a role in this Book? as a dark spirit?

EDIT: Never mind she was the Spider and Mushroom that talked... Anti climactic if you ask me

Edited on 11/16/2013 11:00pm

Flashheat

[99]Nov 17, 2013
    That mushroom was hilarious by the way.

Flashheat

[100]Nov 17, 2013
    So I was just laying in bed trying to nap, thinking back on the last couple of Korra episodes when bam, it just suddenly hit me. Varrick may not have been directly working with Vaatu, but he was still working toward a similar goal. Why? Varrick is a lesser scale, but material(or science to contrast the spirit) counterpart to Vaatu.

Think about it. Vaatu grows more powerful with conflict and strife and aims to cause it by corrupting spirits wherever he goes.

Varrick, as a war profiteer, also grows in power, in a sense, during conflict and strife, times of war, where he rakes in the money and uses said money to build more powerful and dangerous technology that's used to cause bigger war.

"But wait." I thought after realizing above. "Vaatu is capable of corrupting spirits, Varrick didn't have any kind of power to do that." At which point, I remembered, that's EXACTLY what he spent his entire story arc doing. When he was stuck in the South Pole, he was instigating the southerners to lash out at the northern army.

In Republic City, the entire focus of his movers was to act as propaganda, to sway people to WANT to go to war. Him purposely sabotaging things and having them blamed on the northern water tribe, even staging a kidnapping of the president, all to get Republic City to WANT to go to war corrupting them in a sense.

Hope that made some sense. I just thought of it and was kind rambling as the thoughts came up.