We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Official Book 2: Spirits Discussion Thread

SPDShadowRanger

[1]Sep 13, 2013
    • level: 72

Ok everyone, Book 2 premieres in less than 24 hours so here is the official topic to discuss the new episodes.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RaizenYusuke

[2]Sep 13, 2013
    • level: 28

Did anyone else feel like Korra's uncle was lying? He seems like an overzealous traditionalist who is going to try destroy technology to bring balance. Officially love Bumi and Kya. Seriously want a min-comic or flashback of Aang with his family just to see how they interacted as kids and how Aang and Katara dealt with them.

SPDShadowRanger

[3]Sep 13, 2013
    I think his heart is in the right place he's just really strict on how he goes about things....at least that is what I was thinking until the battleships arrived. Makes me wonder how the next two episodes are going to go considering they are called "Civil Wars".

teenj12

[4]Sep 13, 2013
    • level: 26
    So, the premiere tonight was alright. Some really good animation and bending. I too get a weird vibe from Korra's uncle. I'm willing to bet that he's using Korra for his own purposes. Maybe to take over the spirit world? Meanwhile, the Bosami moments were AWESOME. They have a lot of chemistry that I hadn't seen before.

QuestionMarq

[5]Sep 13, 2013
    • level: 4

Anyone else here love Aubrey Plaza as Eska?

RaizenYusuke

[6]Sep 14, 2013

I have mixed feelings about Korra in the premiere. On one hand I understand why she is made at her dad and Tenzin for being too controlling. On the other hand in the first episode I thought she was being bratty. Beating Amon and Aang restoring her bending (giving her the Avatar State) went to her head a bit. She was biting Mako and Tenzin's heads off. Tenzin was right about Korra not mastering air bending completely yet. At the same time Korra feeling frustrated at her mentor (a man who's basically family)for acknowledging her faults and not her successes makes sense.

Like Bolin and Asumi's stories for the book. I'm not sure what Mako's story will be though. It doesn't seem like cop angle will be hit much for the first few episodes since they are out of Republic City. Korra's cousins are creepy. Bolin set himself up for more heart woes with this one. Tenzin's eldest daughter's story arc has my interest. I wonder why the Avatar spirit called out to her? I liked when she looked at her grandpa Aang's statue. It seemed really sweet. I keep forgetting Aang died before he could meet them.

teenj12

[7]Sep 14, 2013
    I hated Korra's attitude to Tenzin. She totally and completely wrote off everything her and Tenzin went through together. This man let her into his home, allowed her to stay in the city, put his life on the line, nearly every episode just to help her with the Equalist battle, even when he had kids and a wife at home that he needed to return to safely at the end of the day.

RaizenYusuke

[8]Sep 14, 2013
    I felt bad for Tenzin. Korra isn't blood related, but she is obviously part of their family. The first episode established Tenzin's family and Korra are close even before she left for Republic City. Seeing Korra dismiss Tenzin was sad. I didn't like how Korra's uncle talked down to him. The Air Nomads were the most spiritual aware nation before Sozin killed them off and Tenzin learned a lot from Aang. What made him think Tenzin couldn't train Korra as well as he could?

SPDShadowRanger

[9]Sep 14, 2013
    It's really just Korra being hot-headed. Trailers have already shown that Korra goes back to Tenzin fairly quickly. One of the trailers showed them meditating in either the Eastern or Western Air Temple together.

Fourarms10

[10]Sep 15, 2013
    • level: 24
    I agree with you all about Korra blowing off Tenzin like that. What I also didn't like how Bolin was nothing but comic relief for the entire episode. I don't think he really did much plot relevant things other than give us a hint about Eska.

AllieAllie

[11]Sep 15, 2013
    • level: 22

I feel like Bolin will have a more significant role in later eps, its on the first ep. That being said I love how his relationship with Eska is developing. I wasn't sure how I felt about it before watching the episode but its really interesting.

RaizenYusuke

[12]Sep 16, 2013

Fourarms10 wrote:
    I agree with you all about Korra blowing off Tenzin like that. What I also didn't like how Bolin was nothing but comic relief for the entire episode. I don't think he really did much plot relevant things other than give us a hint about Eska.
    In fairness Mako and Asami didn't have to much plot relevance either. Mako's whole role could be sum up as Korra's boyfriend and Asami's plot while relevant for her character arc didn't effect the plot. Korra, her family, Tenzin, and his family did anything that was plot relevance. It was only 2 episodes in so far. I'm confident all of new Team Avatar will get character development and plot relevance. Bolin is comic relief, but I really think he'll become more than comic relief in the near future. He has potential to be reliable and strong character. The love triangle episode in book 1 showed us Bolin has it in him to lead, but also be serious when the situation calls for it. I hope the writers remember that. They did it right with Sokka that I have faith they do right by Bolin as well.

I also loved Eska/Bolin interaction. It was hilarious. The first Avatar story has me excited. I didn't think we would ever learn about him. It looks like Jinora has made some spiritual connection to him for some reason, similar to how Aang was drawn to Roku's statue in the original series.

Fourarms10

[13]Sep 16, 2013
    RaizenYusuke wrote:

Fourarms10 wrote:
    In fairness Mako and Asami didn't have to much plot relevance either. Mako's whole role could be sum up as Korra's boyfriend and Asami's plot while relevant for her character arc didn't effect the plot. Korra, her family, Tenzin, and his family did anything that was plot relevance. It was only 2 episodes in so far. I'm confident all of new Team Avatar will get character development and plot relevance. Bolin is comic relief, but I really think he'll become more than comic relief in the near future. He has potential to be reliable and strong character. The love triangle episode in book 1 showed us Bolin has it in him to lead, but also be serious when the situation calls for it. I hope the writers remember that. They did it right with Sokka that I have faith they do right by Bolin as well.

I also loved Eska/Bolin interaction. It was hilarious. The first Avatar story has me excited. I didn't think we would ever learn about him. It looks like Jinora has made some spiritual connection to him for some reason, similar to how Aang was drawn to Roku's statue in the original series.

Come to think of it, that;s true. Here's hoping Bolin manages to stand up for himself more and learns Metal bending. He seems like the type who could learn it. Plus with him being Asami's business partner, we might get some good Bosami moments.

RaizenYusuke

[14]Sep 21, 2013
    The Kataang kids and Korra's family drama mirroring each other was fitting. It was another great episode. It had Korra as a mediator for once. It had character development for her. I love the writers didn't make Aang the perfect father. The episode addressed a lot of questions I had about Aang's family. It's clear each kid thinks the other one had the better end of the deal than the other two. Bumi feeling left out for not being a bender. Kya feeling Aang wasn't there for her a lot. Both felt he favored Tenzin more. Tenzin feels he had rougher for being responsible for an entire culture. Mako and Bolin again didn't have memorable roles to play, but we have more time in the future for them. I much whether have our time on Korra's family, Tenzin's family, and Korra's character development right now. The ending was shocking for me. It made me eager for the next episode.

teenj12

[15]Sep 21, 2013
    So, are all episodes gonna be discussed here?

Anyway, I think "Civil Wars 1" was a fantastic episode. The political heaviness of the episode really stood out. I also agree that Korra got some good development. So far, Book 2 has been far better with pacing and development and I think this episode shows. The Tenzin, Kya, and Bumi story was done well, but I'm sorely disappointed in Aang. I can not believe that he was an absent father. AANG of all people? Doesn't sit well for me. Also, I wonder where Ikki is.

RaizenYusuke

[16]Sep 21, 2013

teenj12 wrote:
    So, are all episodes gonna be discussed here? Anyway, I think "Civil Wars 1" was a fantastic episode. The political heaviness of the episode really stood out. I also agree that Korra got some good development. So far, Book 2 has been far better with pacing and development and I think this episode shows. The Tenzin, Kya, and Bumi story was done well, but I'm sorely disappointed in Aang. I can not believe that he was an absent father. AANG of all people? Doesn't sit well for me. Also, I wonder where Ikki is.
    In Aang's defense being the Avatar and restoring the world after a hundred year war probably required a lot of work that took him away from his family a lot. Unfortunately the Avatar is expected to put the world's needs above his own person needs like spending time with his family.

teenj12

[17]Sep 23, 2013
    RaizenYusuke wrote:

teenj12 wrote:
    So, are all episodes gonna be discussed here? Anyway, I think "Civil Wars 1" was a fantastic episode. The political heaviness of the episode really stood out. I also agree that Korra got some good development. So far, Book 2 has been far better with pacing and development and I think this episode shows. The Tenzin, Kya, and Bumi story was done well, but I'm sorely disappointed in Aang. I can not believe that he was an absent father. AANG of all people? Doesn't sit well for me. Also, I wonder where Ikki is.
    In Aang's defense being the Avatar and restoring the world after a hundred year war probably required a lot of work that took him away from his family a lot. Unfortunately the Avatar is expected to put the world's needs above his own person needs like spending time with his family.

But the part that grates me is the fact that he singled out Tenzin from his kids and spent more time with him. I get that Aang needed to teach Tenzin everything necessary, but he could have at least brought Kya and Bumi along for the ride.

Fourarms10

[18]Sep 23, 2013
    I'm not sure why Tenzin felt that he was the only one responsible for the restoration of the Airbenders. Bumi and Kya had the "genes" in them as well. It might be too late for Kya, but definitely not for Bumi. It's only a matter of time before Sperm donations become possible. Either that or some woman might like older men like Bumi.

SPDShadowRanger

[19]Sep 23, 2013
    Because he's the only Airbender. It makes me wonder what Aang was like as a father to Kya and Bumi before Tenzin was born.

Fourarms10

[20]Sep 24, 2013
    But as I mentioned, he's not the only one with the Airbending "genes"."Bumi and Kya also have the Air/Water "genes" just like Tenzin. Plus, his kids could have also ended up being Non/Water/Earthbenders (Earthbending coming from Pema's line).