We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Zuko and Toph

libraman_92

[21]Dec 7, 2008
    • level: 10
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    darkbender24 wrote:

Did zuko ever know about tophs metalbending??

Because i think he chose katara in the finale to help her with azula because of her bloodbending

I think Zuko just thought that (and was right) Katara had the most history with Azula... And he probably thought Katara knew Azula more, and had a deeper rivalry with her than Toph did... He had a front row seat to Katara and Azula's heated battle in "The Crossroads Of Destiny" (hell, he interrupted it), and probably just thought Katara had more experience fighting Azula (which is true)... Also, he was most likely thinking that he and Katara made a good team after "The Southern Raiders", and the Melon Lord scene in "Sozin's Comet" (when Sokka paired them up, and they ended up making a successful team (again))...

QFT again. ^^This. + the fact that Zuko probably wanted to stick to Sokka's original plan as much as possible=reason he chose katara.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ranger8060

[22]Dec 7, 2008
    • level: 7
    toph would get pawned

panthean

[23]Dec 7, 2008
    • level: 9
    Jackson5050 wrote:
    KingofSpades209 wrote:
    panthean wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:

Toph > Azula > Katara

Aang>Ozai>Toph>Boomy>Bonzo>Iroh>Azula>Zuko=Katara>Sokka's Master>Ty Lee>Mai=Sokka=Sokka's Father
    Who's Bonzo?
    Yeah, I cannot figure out who you are referring to when you typed Bonzo.

I think I might have him confused with a characer from Ender's Game

whats the guy's name who Aang initially plans for to be his firebending master, sometime in the second season... in the end of the episode, he uses firebending to teleport or something

ranger8060

[24]Dec 7, 2008
    panthean wrote:
    Jackson5050 wrote:
    KingofSpades209 wrote:
    panthean wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:

Toph > Azula > Katara

Aang>Ozai>Toph>Boomy>Bonzo>Iroh>Azula>Zuko=Katara>Sokka's Master>Ty Lee>Mai=Sokka=Sokka's Father
    Who's Bonzo?
    Yeah, I cannot figure out who you are referring to when you typed Bonzo.

I think I might have him confused with a characer from Ender's Game

whats the guy's name who Aang initially plans for to be his firebending master, sometime in the second season... in the end of the episode, he uses firebending to teleport or something

jeong jeong?

rootaquiaargyle

[25]Dec 7, 2008
    libraman_92 wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    darkbender24 wrote:

Because i think he chose katara in the finale to help her with azula because of her bloodbending

I think Zuko just thought that (and was right) Katara had the most history with Azula... And he probably thought Katara knew Azula more, and had a deeper rivalry with her than Toph did... He had a front row seat to Katara and Azula's heated battle in "The Crossroads Of Destiny" (hell, he interrupted it), and probably just thought Katara had more experience fighting Azula (which is true)... Also, he was most likely thinking that he and Katara made a good team after "The Southern Raiders", and the Melon Lord scene in "Sozin's Comet" (when Sokka paired them up, and they ended up making a successful team (again))...
    QFT again. ^^This. + the fact that Zuko probably wanted to stick to Sokka's original plan as much as possible=reason he chose katara.

I agree with both of you on this, but I also submit that it had to do with the elemental relationships. In the show water and fire are considered eachothers opposites and so Zuko probably figured that Katara would have some advantages over Azula that she wouldn't expect and he didn't himself posses. He also knew Katara better than anyone else in the Gaang and probably calculated her to be the next strongest bender after Aang (since Aang was busy with the fire lord). We don't even need to get into the Toph vs. Azula debate because Zuko didn't know Toph well enough for him to consider her.

On a side note, Katara was able to blood bend in the day time when there wasn't a full moon. We see this in the southern raiders when she takes on the current captain of the ship and also the man that killed her mother.

rootaquiaargyle

[26]Dec 7, 2008
    Okay I just checked myself and I made a couple mistakes: It was night time when Katara used blood bending in the southern raiders episode, but there is no evidence to support that it was a full moon, as far as I can tell. The second thing is that she only used blood bending on the current captain and not on the one who killed her mother. Just wanted to clear that up.

ThisCrazyGuy

[27]Dec 8, 2008
    • level: 8
    ranger8060 wrote:
    toph would get pawned
    Nope...

ThisCrazyGuy

[28]Dec 8, 2008
    rootaquiaargyle wrote:
    libraman_92 wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    darkbender24 wrote:

I agree with both of you on this, but I also submit that it had to do with the elemental relationships. In the show water and fire are considered eachothers opposites and so Zuko probably figured that Katara would have some advantages over Azula that she wouldn't expect and he didn't himself posses. He also knew Katara better than anyone else in the Gaang and probably calculated her to be the next strongest bender after Aang (since Aang was busy with the fire lord). We don't even need to get into the Toph vs. Azula debate because Zuko didn't know Toph well enough for him to consider her.

On a side note, Katara was able to blood bend in the day time when there wasn't a full moon. We see this in the southern raiders when she takes on the current captain of the ship and also the man that killed her mother.

Actually, the common mistake people make with that episode, is the full Moon. It has been confirmed that there WAS actually a faint glimpse of the full moon, and it was there when she was Bloodbending. It's okay, I didn't think the moon was there either, but then I re-watched it a bit, and looked at some reliable websites, and found that there was indeed a full moon.

But I agree with you on everything else.

rootaquiaargyle

[29]Dec 8, 2008
    Okay, I see what you're saying now. Thanks for clearing that up ThisCrazyGuy. I thought everyone was missing something. Turns out it was me and I was missing the moon, lol. :p

panthean

[30]Dec 8, 2008
    rootaquiaargyle wrote:
    Okay I just checked myself and I made a couple mistakes: It was night time when Katara used blood bending in the southern raiders episode, but there is no evidence to support that it was a full moon, as far as I can tell. The second thing is that she only used blood bending on the current captain and not on the one who killed her mother. Just wanted to clear that up.

well it all really depends on how skilled the bender is... i bet a fully trained blood bender could do it anytime anyplace... problem is that there are no fully trained blood-benders

ThisCrazyGuy

[31]Dec 8, 2008
    rootaquiaargyle wrote:
    Okay, I see what you're saying now. Thanks for clearing that up ThisCrazyGuy. I thought everyone was missing something. Turns out it was me and I was missing the moon, lol. :p

seto1

[32]Dec 9, 2008
    • level: 16
    Zuco has always thought strategically and in this battle kitara was the better choice for her clear advantage

ThisCrazyGuy

[33]Dec 9, 2008
    seto1 wrote:
    Zuco has always thought strategically and in this battle kitara was the better choice for her clear advantage
    Zuko has always thought strategically? :O

That sounds more like Azula (who is basically Zuko's opposite)...

panthean

[34]Dec 9, 2008
    seto1 wrote:

spelling... I mean come on... at least spell names right

gilvatar

[35]Dec 9, 2008
    • level: 17
    seto1 wrote:
    I love Zuko but he doesn't think stategically. He's more of a go-with-your-gut kind of guy. Apparently his gut (and the script) thought they'd make a better team.

rootaquiaargyle

[36]Dec 9, 2008

Throughout the series Zuko denies his true self and tries to act tough and be strategic, but he's much more emotional than that. Not saying he's emo, but he definitely is a different kind of person than Azula who's every move is calculated to bring her power or destroy her enemies. This is the reason why it takes Zuko so long to find himself in the series, he's the complete opposite of Azula and Ozai. You can really see that in the flashbacks, how he was a very gentle and nice kid. The combination of his emotional personality (plus trying to gain his father's acceptance) and the tough attitude he felt he had to obtain caused him to go over-board. It was like someone trying to act like someone they know nothing about; he would act tough, but still being a more emotional, caring person underneath he was harmful to himself and others.

His story of finding himself is one of my favorite sub-plots in the series.

libraman_92

[37]Dec 13, 2008
    There seems to be a misunderstanding that I was sure was about to happen. Alot of people believe that if you are a fully-trained Bloodbender, you can bend without the Full Moon to boost your strength. This is preposterous indeed. That's like saying that a fully-trained Firebender could bend Sozin's Comet style without Sozin's Comet. To bend someone's insides takes alot of power; that kind of power is only accessible to a Waterbender during the full moon.

At any rate, in order to Bloodbend, it should be the night; when in the show has ANY of the bloodbenders manipulated its power during the day?

ThisCrazyGuy

[38]Dec 13, 2008
    libraman_92 wrote:
    There seems to be a misunderstanding that I was sure was about to happen. Alot of people believe that if you are a fully-trained Bloodbender, you can bend without the Full Moon to boost your strength. This is preposterous indeed. That's like saying that a fully-trained Firebender could bend Sozin's Comet style without Sozin's Comet. To bend someone's insides takes alot of power; that kind of power is only accessible to a Waterbender during the full moon.

At any rate, in order to Bloodbend, it should be the night; when in the show has ANY of the bloodbenders manipulated its power during the day?
    I agree!

libraman_92

[39]Dec 13, 2008
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    libraman_92 wrote:

I agree!

Which leads to the conclusion that Zuko picked Katara; but very well had he known of the powers of Katara and Toph, Toph would win by a landslide. Section 2: Analyzing Toph and the Plot Toph joined the Gaang in 206; but before that, she was a butt-kicking "Blind Bandit" who was the champ of the Earth Rumble. Surely, this shows her to be a prodigy; the word "prodigy" shall return later in the analysis. But this is some instance where Toph has reign supreme over territory.

Throughout the events of Book Two, Toph has proved to be far more powerful than Katara. Take for example, 208, when Toph conjured a big wall to hold of Azula's BLUE FIRE. Remember that blue fire is the hottest fire their is; and for Toph to be able to have her wall still have some sort of remains if fascinating. Then comes the events of 213, during which (according to Axrendale) 'Azula showed kindness on the battlefield,' some other events were going on. If the creators would've showed Toph fighting Azula (and remember, there was slurry all over the top of the drill and the rocks falling down; even though Toph didn't know Metalbending at this point, she was far from vulnerable), the outcome would've been much different. Most certainly would Azula lose more quickly. But alas, Toph's power was used for other purposes. She managed to pull back the slurry inside the drill much more further than Katara could've. Then in the season two finale, Toph couldn't have been shown fighting with Aang and Katara; if she did, there would be no way that Aang and Katara would fall at the hands of the Dai Li, Azula, and Zuko. Thus ends my analytical look at the power of Toph. I'd love to see someone who believes Katara is more powerful than Toph top this

panthean

[40]Dec 13, 2008
    libraman_92 wrote:

the southern raiders...