We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Who had the worst past??

Who had the worst past??

Deziiah

[1]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 11

Well mine is a tie between Toph and Katara and Sokka.

Because Katara and Sokka didn't grow up with a mother or father, whilst Toph did, but Katara and Sokka aren't blind, so I choose toph more, because Katara and Sokka gain their father in the end.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Dontogan

[2]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 5

Either Aang or Zuko. His bison and himself are the last of their kind. He never wanted to be the Avatar, yet was forced to at an early age and knew from then on his life would change and he would have to face the Fire Lord. He blames himself for the deaths of the other airbenders for a while, because the Fire Nation struck when he left.

Then you have Zuko, scarred by his own father for simply speaking out of turn, banished by his father forced to chase the Avatar for years, hated by virtually everyone in every single nation. He had his mother taken away from him at an early age (again, by his father). He's also very confused from what he wants in life, what his destiny is, and who he really is.

Yeah, Zuko has it worse. As he said himself, he's never happy =(.

Edited on 10/03/2008 2:56pm
    Edited 3 total times.

youtube_tv

[3]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 25
    I say Zuko because he had to live with just himself and i mean his father banished him. that's pretty sucky

isabelwhatx

[4]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 14
    Zuko by FAR. Katara and Sokka might not have had a mother or a father, but at least they knew their parents LOVED them. Zuko always knew that his father hated him, and that his mother mysteriously left without a reason. For all he knew, she could've left because she couldn't stand him.

Toph's parents loved her, and that's why they acted that way. Zuko didn't have that luxury.

FireLordZuko93

[5]Oct 3, 2008
    • level: 12
    Zuko by far
    /thread

Axrendale

[6]Oct 3, 2008
    • level: 10
    I'd like to put in a word for Aang. Having all of your people, all your friends, etc, etc wiped out is pretty rough.

4nationfury

[7]Oct 3, 2008
    • level: 16

Katara and Sokka lost their mother but Zuko lost his, was scarred, and was banished by a father that didn't love him.

This aside, I'm gonna say Iroh. Let's not forget Iroh lost his son. I think that was harder than anyone else's past sufferings.

isabelwhatx

[8]Oct 3, 2008
    I think it's equally as painful to lose your sister and your father. In a sense, they both died. It was even worse than that. He isn't even comforted by the thought that they loved him. I forgot about Aang! :blush:
    I think that he's had the worst short time problems, but Zuko has had the longest, hardest childhood.

MarryLarry

[9]Oct 3, 2008

You can't really quantify suffering, especially the emotional kind. Everyone handles pain differently. On paper, it's Aang. Imagine your whole race, culture, country, and friends were all gone and you were the last of your kind. That would suck.

But, Aang tends to look at the bright side for the most part. It's just the way he is, unlike Zuko who tends to see the worst in situations. Not to say Zuko didn't have it rough. However, he did have an uncle who supported him and his own warship (that's something most people would love to have).

In the end, it all comes down to your outlook on life that determines how much pain you endure...mentally that is.

Dontogan

[10]Oct 3, 2008
    • level: 5
    MarryLarry wrote:

You can't really quantify suffering, especially the emotional kind. Everyone handles pain differently. On paper, it's Aang. Imagine your whole race, culture, country, and friends were all gone and you were the last of your kind. That would suck.

But, Aang tends to look at the bright side for the most part. It's just the way he is, unlike Zuko who tends to see the worst in situations. Not to say Zuko didn't have it rough. However, he did have an uncle who supported him and his own warship (that's something most people would love to have).

In the end, it all comes down to your outlook on life that determines how much pain you endure...mentally that is.

Aang's positive outlook on things is the reason why I think Zuko's past is worse. Plus Aang had friends who look out for him and loved him after he was found. Iroh cared for Zuko, too, but became too confused in the show for that to matter until the last episodes when he realizes his destiny.

MarryLarry

[11]Oct 4, 2008
    Dontogan wrote:
    MarryLarry wrote:

Aang's positive outlook on things is the reason why I think Zuko's past is worse. Plus Aang had friends who look out for him and loved him after he was found. Iroh cared for Zuko, too, but became too confused in the show for that to matter until the last episodes when he realizes his destiny.

This proves my point that suffering depends on the individual since we all deal with turmoil differently. I myself would be completely content with getting kicked out of my home (be it house or country) and getting to live on a warship with crew members I get to boss around all day.

Jackson5050

[12]Oct 4, 2008
    How anyone could not vote for Aang is beyond me. He literally lost everything except Appa and Bumi. He also had to deal with the guilt of running away and shirking his duties.

kratosgod69

[13]Oct 4, 2008

Jackson5050 wrote:
    How anyone could not vote for Aang is beyond me. He literally lost everything except Appa and Bumi. He also had to deal with the guilt of running away and shirking his duties.

I'm not going to deny that he had a rough past. But, it clearly didn't faze him that much.

Shortly after finding out he's the last of his race:

And, as has been said, Aang had two loving friends. He had many allies throughout the Earth Kingdom. I mean, really, until "Avatar Roku", what did he care about the war? The Fire Nation was trying to capture him, but he held no ill feeling towards them. As such, his past wasn't as bad as Zuko's was. If Aang seemed to care he was the last airbender (within the first couple episodes at the least) he would certainly have a much harder past.

Jackson5050

[14]Oct 4, 2008
    I admit Zuko's past had more of an impact on him, but Aang's was much worse.

ThisCrazyGuy

[15]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 8

1. Aang.

2. Zuko.

3. Iroh.

4. Katara and Sokka.

5. Azula.

Neji-Skywalker

[16]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 4

I have to agree with MarryLarry. It really depends. If you were asking who had more bad things happen to them, then I would say Aang or Zuko, but in terms of who had it worse it depends how they handle it and let it affect them. Though I would take Toph off the list and put Iroh. Being blind was not the end of the world for Toph, instead she used it for her own advantage. I would probably also put Azula on the list. Crazy dont just happen, you can tell she was groomed to be malicious, and feeling unloved by her mother. Pretty harsh.

ThisCrazyGuy

[17]Oct 5, 2008
    Neji-Skywalker wrote:

I would take Toph off the list and put Iroh. Being blind was not the end of the world for Toph, instead she used it for her own advantage. I would probably also put Azula on the list. Crazy dont just happen, you can tell she was groomed to be malicious, and feeling unloved by her mother. Pretty harsh.

I agree. Iroh lost his ONLY child, his beloved son Lu Ten, in a battle that HE could have stopped... Also, Iroh must have (at some point or another) had a wife, and she is never mentioned at all in the series... It appears as if she either died, or left him, that is pretty rough... Azula has spent basically her WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE, thinking that her mother hates/despises her. I think both of those are worse than Toph's past.
    Edited on 10/05/2008 12:11pm

Phyrra

[18]Oct 8, 2008
    • level: 9
    I agree with Zuko's life being pretty demented and messed up. He handled it quite harshly, wheras Aang was able to adapt more quickly to his own situation. I'm guessing he had little to no social life, at least not a successful one, and that he was indeed a very fragile kid.

Although, I'm glad I'm not the only one who believes Azula had it really hard, as well. In combination of her past and current condition, I believe she can top them all. Her parents aren't dead, but the very position she was put in could be just as bad. First off, I'd like to say that I don't think her mother fully negelected her, but that her father took a stronger role in her life, therefore, training her to believe in the things she thinks now. She could NOT be seen as a failure like her brother was presumed. In the end, I think Ursa just plainly gave up and focused to bring Zuko to a brighter light. Ozai specifically picked her for her skills and perfection. She was the perfect pawn in his game to helping defeat Aang and his traitorous relatives. She may have been cold, but she was perhaps threatened t=with the idea of being discarded as a daughter by her father, so she had to stay loyal. Even worse, her own friends betrayed her, so she basically had NO ONE. With this lack of support, wapring into a state a paranoa, and eventually crashing- yeah...her mental stability in the end could barely compare to anyone's past. That's my opinion.

isabelwhatx

[19]Oct 8, 2008
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:

1. Aang.

2. Zuko.

3. Iroh.

4. Katara and Sokka.

5. Azula.

Eh, I don't think Iroh should be there, because only until recently has he been suffering.

ThisCrazyGuy

[20]Oct 10, 2008
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:

1. Aang.

2. Zuko.

3. Iroh.

4. Katara and Sokka.

5. Azula.

Eh, I don't think Iroh should be there, because only until recently has he been suffering.
    True, BUT, he is the only person in the show to lose a child (and with that, his ONLY child), and it can be assumed he lost his wife too...