We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

what do you think Airbenders 'sub bending' is?

numberonekid

[1]Oct 26, 2007
    • level: 3

Earth bending has sub Metal bending

Fire bending has sub Lightning bending

Water bending has sub Blood bending

But what about Air bending? people say it is 'sucking out air from peoples bodies' but to me that sounds a bit silly... 'sucking out air bending' lol, doesn't have the same catch like the other sub elements.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Insane_ali

[2]Oct 26, 2007
    • level: 4

the only real 'sub bending that you listed is lightning bending. 'Blood bending' is simply manipulating the water in somebody's body rather than manipulating something other than water. Metal bending is just manipulating the tiny impurities in the metal rather than bending the metal itself. (i.e. if some random earthbender could 'feel' the earth in the same way toph could then he could also mastr metal bending.) it's just advanced water/metal bending that nobody either thought of or thought they could do. honestly, who thinks of controlling the water in somebody's body? (but neccesety is the mother of invention) and all the earthbenders we know (bar toph) cant 'see' the earth in the refined metal thus cannot metal bend)

lightning is the only 'real' sub-bending because it involves something other than bending the 'proper' element (metal bending = earthbending; bloodbending = water bending)

numberonekid

[3]Oct 26, 2007
    Insane_ali wrote:

the only real 'sub bending that you listed is lightning bending. 'Blood bending' is simply manipulating the water in somebody's body rather than manipulating something other than water. Metal bending is just manipulating the tiny impurities in the metal rather than bending the metal itself. (i.e. if some random earthbender could 'feel' the earth in the same way toph could then he could also mastr metal bending.) it's just advanced water/metal bending that nobody either thought of or thought they could do. honestly, who thinks of controlling the water in somebody's body? (but neccesety is the mother of invention) and all the earthbenders we know (bar toph) cant 'see' the earth in the refined metal thus cannot metal bend)

lightning is the only 'real' sub-bending because it involves something other than bending the 'proper' element (metal bending = earthbending; bloodbending = water bending)

I disagree. The four elements represent the four states of matter. Airbending = gas Waterbending = liquid Earthbending = solid Firebending = plasma Gas, Liquid, Solid and Plasma, the four states of matter. Water and Blood bending is just liquid, Earth and Metal bending is just solid, and Fire and Lightning bending is just plasma. So there has to be a second/sub/advanced technique/whatever you want to call it to Airbending, it makes a lot of sense.

Meauxx

[4]Oct 26, 2007
    • level: 7
    Oxygen-bending

Bend all oxygen away from your enemy, and he dies.. =D

BlueAndOrange

[5]Oct 26, 2007
    • level: 9
    air bendings sub bending ability is.....
    ***SPOILER***

tomtitan

[6]Oct 26, 2007
    • level: 19
    numberonekid wrote:
    Insane_ali wrote:

I disagree. The four elements represent the four states of matter. Airbending = gas Waterbending = liquid Earthbending = solid Firebending = plasma Gas, Liquid, Solid and Plasma, the four states of matter. Water and Blood bending is just liquid, Earth and Metal bending is just solid, and Fire and Lightning bending is just plasma. So there has to be a second/sub/advanced technique/whatever you want to call it to Airbending, it makes a lot of sense.
    i agree that the 4 elements represent the 4 states of matter, but you forget a waterbender can bend ice and steam, and they can also turn one into the other.

but you all are forgetting healing, it's true that metal/sand/blood/plantbending are still bending the element, and not a different technique at all, but healing is something different, yesactual waterbending isthe catalyst, but the water isn't healing, the bender is, it's just a different application of their chi, just like lightningbending.this is how it goes:

water: healing.

fire: lightning.

earth: none so far.

air: none so far.

see? air and earth have no sub-bending....yet...

on a side note, who else thinks bloodbending is such a cool name?

Edited on 10/26/2007 3:18am

Sureok

[7]Oct 26, 2007
    I think "bloodbending" is an awesome name, but I can't come up with a sub-bending for airbending =(

tomtitan

[8]Oct 26, 2007
    Sureok wrote:
    I think "bloodbending" is an awesome name, but I can't come up with a sub-bending for airbending =(

..mostly because there isn't one yet, same goes for earthbending.

shimblue

[9]Oct 26, 2007
    • level: 8

Not really a sub but what about creating vacuums (place where there is no air)

Kinda sub: Sound travels through vibrations in the air, maybe sound bending is good

Edited on 10/26/2007 4:10am
    Edited 2 total times.

Meauxx

[10]Oct 26, 2007
    I know another sub-bending..

Moving air so fast, that it creates static electricity...

Woeii!! Azula is an Airbender!

[11]Oct 26, 2007
    like the combustion man who heats the air around him using his eye/tattoo

LordMordor

[12]Oct 26, 2007
    • level: 12
    I really want to see what Combustion man can do under the super enhancement of the commet...that should be nice and flashy

tomtitan

[13]Oct 26, 2007
    shimblue wrote:

Not really a sub but what about creating vacuums (place where there is no air)

Kinda sub: Sound travels through vibrations in the air, maybe sound bending is good

lol, soundbending, that could work. i bet aang can use airbending to speak really loudly, like he takes a massive gulp of air, then upon release he says something, and using airbending the sound is amplified and travels really loud.

actually, since all sound is is a series of air particle compressions and rarefactions i guess using airbending you can soundbend. so it's not a subbending, it's a different application of airbending.

avrurakinninami

[14]Oct 26, 2007
    • level: 21
    Firebending sub element is not just ''lighting'' because it doesn't require the sun rise (ultimate power). So I think it will definitively be a lot more powerfully of bloodbending, something like inner explosion or heated brain, something creepy, no, maybe not the brain explosion.

fpaul90

[15]Oct 26, 2007
    airbenders could suck all the air out of one place to create a vaccuum and suck people towards them

Meauxx

[16]Oct 26, 2007
    Come to think of it.. Iroh said that lightening is created by seperating Yin-energy and Yang-engergy..

That doesn't have anything to do with Fire.. Does that mean that all benders can shoot lightening?

zukofangirl2006

[17]Oct 26, 2007
    • level: 10

Meauxx wrote:
    Come to think of it.. Iroh said that lightening is created by seperating Yin-energy and Yang-engergy.. That doesn't have anything to do with Fire.. Does that mean that all benders can shoot lightening?

No, because "only a select few FIREBENDERS cand do it".

BaouShotaruga

[18]Oct 26, 2007
    • level: 5
    zukofangirl2006 wrote:

Meauxx wrote:
    Come to think of it.. Iroh said that lightening is created by seperating Yin-energy and Yang-engergy.. That doesn't have anything to do with Fire.. Does that mean that all benders can shoot lightening?

No, because "only a select few FIREBENDERS cand do it".

true - he also said that lightning is the purest form of fire.

I can't really imagine a "sub-bending" that would fit with Air. However, sonic/vibratory techniques would be possible. I imagine it would be "advanced" air bending; bend the air out of a small area (creating a void) and maintain the "pocket" long enough, then release it - the result would be a thunder clap. A large enough pocket would produce sonic booms that could crumble stone and shatter metal.

Mapletree46

[19]Oct 26, 2007
    • level: 17
    Force choke, force push, force pull, force run, force jump, shall i continue?

Spike815

[20]Oct 26, 2007
    • level: 14
    Mapletree46 wrote:
    Force choke, force push, force pull, force run, force jump, shall i continue?

Can they also do a lightsaber throw?