We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

what do you think Airbenders 'sub bending' is?

Eman5805

[41]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 14
    _Falstaff wrote:
    I'm a little confused here. I don't know why everyone thinks airbending can be used to create a vacuum. I'm trying to think it through, but it's not working in my mind.

I don't see why not. If they can control what space air flows into, what's so different about making an airless space. It's not really hard to imagine, it's like how Katara made that bubble when going through the Serpent's Pass...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

VincentMagius

[42]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 8
    Creating a vacuum isn't that hard to conceptualize. It's moving air out of a location without allowing any back in. Really can't use it for very long.

Sadly, the air scooter could be the specialization.

leovinus042

[43]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 1
    I disagree with that. All the other mentioned specialties are uncommon and/or dificult to attain. however, as we seen in the episode where we learn of Aang's past, we see as all the students learn the "trick" in almost no time at all.

Raikiri1103

[44]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 15
    OK, I read all the posts. I agree that there is nothing special about bloodbending. Its just bending water that is not usually bended. Healing is obviously waterbending's special ability. It is the only thing different that a waterbener can do. Everything else is just water. Lightning is ofcourse firebending's special ability. And for those who said "lightning bending", I thought that lightning isn't really bended but just created and discharged. Thats all that is done, there is no further manipulation of the lightning.

As for airbending, well there either isn't one or it has not been shown. Personally I think its too late to see it becuase prabably only a select number of master airbenders knew it, and they were wiped out before Aang could be tuaght it anyways. We can only fantasize what it could be. I think sound is a good candidate. But I think its more of a sonic boom or sound wave thing that can crumble walls rather than actual "sound bending". Something I thought of was compressing air into a solid or liquid, perhaps freezing it and creating something similiar to nitrogen. And with that I mean a really cold liquid. And the airbender can still bend liquid oxygen becuase it is composed of what "air" is made of, despite the fact that its a liquid now. Its like waterbenders bending ice even though its a solid. But all that sounds a bit farfetched, so lets stick with the sound thing.

As for earthbending, it prabably has not been shown. People say metalbending but that is just like bloodbending. Metal bending is just bending earth in a place no one usually tries. And it is only something Toph can do since she is soo powerfull. (The blindness helps too) Others have said creating earthquakes, but once again thats just regular bending but on a large scale. Perhaps the special ability has to do with tapping in to the earth and using its abilities aswell, such as gravity, or magnetic feilds. As for what gives earthbenders their powerboost, Ill just guess its either the Earth itself or massive tectonic shifts. Maybe all that earth moving gives earthbenders power.

And as for the airbenders' power boost, I think that has to do more with the weather. And I dont mean a hurricane or tornado, I mean more technical stuff like air pressures/temperature and weather fronts and stuff.

avrurakinninami

[45]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 21
    I've something, we already know that both metal and bloodbending are based on an element that they can control small particles in something bigger, well, I think that the airbending sub-element is reverse, well, by example, the airbender can make a transposition into another body, making the other moving and acting like he wants. (oupss, did I go too far ? )

keiran151291

[46]Nov 2, 2007
    Raikiri1103 wrote:

As for earthbending, it prabably has not been shown. People say metalbending but that is just like bloodbending. Metal bending is just bending earth in a place no one usually tries. And it is only something Toph can do since she is soo powerfull. (The blindness helps too) Others have said creating earthquakes, but once again thats just regular bending but on a large scale. Perhaps the special ability has to do with tapping in to the earth and using its abilities aswell, such as gravity, or magnetic feilds. As for what gives earthbenders their powerboost, Ill just guess its either the Earth itself or massive tectonic shifts. Maybe all that earth moving gives earthbenders power.

in this part i disagree. in the swamp episode we saw the way the earth was minipulated. i think that seeing through vibrations is the sub of earth as its not really bending its adapting.

Raikiri1103 wrote:

As for airbending, well there either isn't one or it has not been shown. Personally I think its too late to see it becuase prabably only a select number of master airbenders knew it, and they were wiped out before Aang could be tuaght it anyways. We can only fantasize what it could be. I think sound is a good candidate. But I think its more of a sonic boom or sound wave thing that can crumble walls rather than actual "sound bending". Something I thought of was compressing air into a solid or liquid, perhaps freezing it and creating something similiar to nitrogen. And with that I mean a really cold liquid. And the airbender can still bend liquid oxygen becuase it is composed of what "air" is made of, despite the fact that its a liquid now. Its like waterbenders bending ice even though its a solid. But all that sounds a bit farfetched, so lets stick with the sound thing.

i dunno when it comes to airbending. however, episode 12 book 3 is called 'secret of the eastern air temple' this was the womens temple that they wanted to send aang to 100 years ago so maybe a new technique or sub bending is found there?

Raikiri1103

[47]Nov 2, 2007
    keiran151291 wrote:
    Raikiri1103 wrote:

in this part i disagree. in the swamp episode we saw the way the earth was minipulated. i think that seeing through vibrations is the sub of earth as its not really bending its adapting.

Raikiri1103 wrote:

i dunno when it comes to airbending. however, episode 12 book 3 is called 'secret of the eastern air temple' this was the womens temple that they wanted to send aang to 100 years ago so maybe a new technique or sub bending is found there?

That works too.

keiran151291

[48]Nov 2, 2007
    Raikiri1103 wrote:
    keiran151291 wrote:
    Raikiri1103 wrote:

Raikiri1103 wrote:

That works too.

thanks

Raikiri1103

[49]Nov 2, 2007
    keiran151291 wrote:
    Raikiri1103 wrote:
    keiran151291 wrote:
    Raikiri1103 wrote:

Raikiri1103 wrote:

That works too.

thanks

HOORAY FOR YELLOW FACES WITH THEIR TONGUES STICKING OUT!!!!!!

keiran151291

[50]Nov 2, 2007
    lol back to the topic....

eastwind664

[51]Nov 2, 2007
    I think this whole crazy "sub-bending" thing is totally ridiculous, it makes the show sound like pokemon

userofthename

[52]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 3
    gas bending, using the chemicals in the air to make poisonous gas
    Edited on 11/02/2007 3:36pm

BlueAndOrange

[53]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 9

aang kind've sound bended in "The Blue Spirit" when he forced all thoses FN guys down the bamboo ladder

Allcor

[54]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 2
    I still think creating illusions is another possibility besides sound.

and for earth it has to be something rigid, maybe stone skin?

mikedevinkarime

[55]Oct 4, 2008
    ok from reading all of these comments i think we all agree that waters "sub-bending" is healing no doubt. Metal dose not have one yet. yes metal could be but it still has the basic use of earth. Fire is also no doubt lightning. Last but not least air dose not have one. The sound of vacums sound really cool. every since i was little i have always thought that if you tooked the air out a certain place and put something in it. it would be like space but now thinking about it gravity would still be affecting were it is. sound waves would be cool but it wouldent be "sub-bending" because the molecules, yes, still affect sound so really. In the end there is no air bending "SB" it would be cool to see it.

gilvatar

[56]Oct 4, 2008
    • level: 17
    well, obviously sub-bending is how benders make a hoggie.

fantasyleader2

[57]Oct 6, 2008
    • level: 3
    mikedevinkarime wrote:
    ok from reading all of these comments i think we all agree that waters "sub-bending" is healing no doubt. Metal dose not have one yet. yes metal could be but it still has the basic use of earth. Fire is also no doubt lightning. Last but not least air dose not have one. The sound of vacums sound really cool. every since i was little i have always thought that if you tooked the air out a certain place and put something in it. it would be like space but now thinking about it gravity would still be affecting were it is. sound waves would be cool but it wouldent be "sub-bending" because the molecules, yes, still affect sound so really. In the end there is no air bending "SB" it would be cool to see it.

Actually, there's no need to come up with a sub skill for airbending. There's already one that has been confirmed. Although it's not official. It only appears in the card game. It's soundbending. It is used by Malu the Ghost Witch, and to an extent, Aang.