We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Was it right to not kill the Firelord??? Or do you think he should've...

Do you think Aang should've killed the firelord??? (phoinex king)

[1]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 9

besides the fact that Nick can't have death!!!! or show it.....what would you've liked to have seen if it was an adult show or was aloud??? cuz i think he should've cuz the firelord (phoinex king) has caused so many peoples deaths...so basically he has probably thousands of lives on his shoulders....

thanks

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DrAvatar

[2]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 16
    Ozai abused his power and stripped his son's honor away. He's better off losing his power and having his own pride stripped than being killed.

dantedones

[3]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 24
    I would have taken his power away, and then killed him

-TheSecondSign-

[4]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 8

I, personally, would have killed him with his own lightning strike four seconds into the battle.

I would've ended it as quickly as possible so I could assist innocents and in the other attacks to save as many innocent lives as possible. The shorter the battle in such a circumstance, the more lives you'll actually save.

But I can also see why someone like Aang would do what they did.

I respect both decisions, so long as the job gets done.

SailorB

[5]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 16

Personally, I think Aang was right to simply take away Ozai's powers rather than kill him. If Ozai had died, Aang would feel too guilty. But, by taking away Ozai's firebending power, Aang took away Ozai's ability to fulfill his dreams (no matter how messed up and deranged and cruel they were). And having your dreams crushed is worse than dying. Because dying is short and to the point and Ozai wouldn't suffer much. But, he has to live a long and torturous life of never being able to see his hopes and dreams through.

So, in the end, I believe Aang made the right decision.

captainarg

[6]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 2
    Killing the Fire Lord would have messed with Aang too much. It was better that he just took away his firebending.

edmasterchaos

[7]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 41
    DrAvatar wrote:
    Ozai abused his power and stripped his son's honor away. He's better off losing his power and having his own pride stripped than being killed.
    Agreed.

Death is just eliminating all possibilities, all joys and all suffer from a person, in a way, death is better than what Aang did to him, but being alive still gives him the possibility to repent and find the path of peace and justice, not that he'll actually become good, but still, the possibility is there.

[8]Jul 20, 2008
    i made this forum just to let you know guys.....i think i changed my mind.....someone said that when your hopes and dreams are crushed, its worse than dying....because its torturous that you cant fulfill them....so ya......stripped his powers...and lock him up was the right way...

MarryLarry

[9]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 11

People, does it really matter? He's powerless now. Doomed to rot forever in his own prison cell and fed gruel like his brother.

Has society really become so sadistic and single-minded in thinking the only correct way to end a fight is to end a life?

The easy way would have been for Aang to bake that turkey after he stole his thunder...er, lightning but that would have ended things too quickly and resulted in even more people female doggin'. Aang's indecisiveness and moral battle added internal conflict within himself (remind you of a certain prince everybody's always swooning over for those exact same qualities), which adds drama, and admit it or not everbody loves drama.

The alternative would have been Aang saying 'ok,' zap, XozaiX, which I'm sure the writers could have pulled off but that's not the point. Don't dwell on 'what ifs' especially when what you got was pretty darn cool. Personally thought the lifebending bit was stunning.

aalaois

[10]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 2

in real life, I support the death penalty and killing in self defence... but only as a last resort. people like the firelord do indeed deserve death, but if and when it is possible, one ought to show them mercy.

the show did make it a little too black and white I thought. what did he expect to happen when he won all those battles he was in? was he always planning to just capture people? chase them away? and how about at the seige of the north? I guess since he wasn't in control of the avatar spirit he doesn't count that, but he totally dessimated all those fire nation soldiers.

sooo many of the blows he's dealt to people in his battles theoretically could have killed those people, they just happened to not kill them and he never dealt a definitive death blow (like a lightning strike)

anyway, I support his decision to show the firelord, a man who deserved to die and by his actions had forfeited his own right to live, mercy and simply render him powerless.

amdragfreak

[11]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 11
    I was severely disappointed that they didn't die. I have never felt that any two characters deserved to die more than Ozai and Azula. It left me unsatisfied, I don't care how the scene where his bending was stripped was executed, the fact that they didn't die let me down.

I don't care if it isn't in Aang's nature to kill Ozai, have him try to attack Aang only to fall to his doom.

It's like what Quentin Tarantino said on the bonus features of Kill Bill Vol. 2. You want to be satisfied. You want justice to be served. Ozai was going to murder a 10 year old child and burned his face when he was 13. That's about as evil as you can get. Just having his bending taken away and then thrown in prison...just wasn't justice to me. Maybe I'm just letting my anger at what he did to my favorite character cloud my judgment... I decided to write the Agni-Kai scene from Iroh's POV, and as I wrote it, it made me so angry. It basically made me want to go kick Ozai's a$$ myself.

Also I believe that unless Ozai and Azula are dead, the world will never be safe. They could break out of prison just as easily as Iroh did.

Finally, the fact that this is a kids show has nothing to do with it. They killed Zhao, CM, Jet and Yue. If anyone agrees with me, please PM me, I would really appreciate knowing that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

sharpguard

[12]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 12
    -TheSecondSign- wrote:

I, personally, would have killed him with his own lightning strike four seconds into the battle.

I would've ended it as quickly as possible so I could assist innocents and in the other attacks to save as many innocent lives as possible. The shorter the battle in such a circumstance, the more lives you'll actually save.

I agree.

Teranef

[13]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 4

MarryLarry wrote:
    Has society really become so sadistic and single-minded in thinking the only correct way to end a fight is to end a life?
    I wouldn't say sadistic but rather vengeful. The way many people on these boards talk about why it was better the way it happened because it was a fate even worse then death; they come off as more vengeful then anything else.

And you're right, there are plenty of other ways to make sure Ozai would never hurt another innocent again other then death;

Banishment into the spirit world (maybe he could run into Koh)

A good blow to the spine, paralyzing him for life

Crushing his hands and feet

Bloodbending him right into a prison cell

Blinding him permanently and permanently removing some of his other senses

Some form of brain damage that would reduce him to a vegetable

Blocking his chi like Ty Lee . . . but in a way that blocks it permanently

Some form of binding his limbs at the flesh . . . something more permanent then glue . . . (sewing stiches?)

Toph encasing him in a metal suit, perhaps in an awkward position with his limbs facing towards his head . . . a rock suit could do the trick but could be more easily removed by a treacherous earth bender (ex. Dai Li)

And then there's the one that neither Aang, nor Nick would ever consider . . . a metal suit with blades/hooks on the inside so that if anybody tried to free Ozai from the suit, Ozai would quickly bleed to death.

I know about half the methods I came up with were a little horrific, but my point is . . . the methods of incapacitation other then death is limited only by the imagination. Maybe he could be put in some really clever anti-bending body cast that could only be removed by a combination of powerful air, water, earth and fire bending . . . so it's only removable by an Avatar. There's an ingenius device. I wonder if the Mechanist could whip one up . . .

hkulka2974

[14]Jul 20, 2008
    sharpguard wrote:
    -TheSecondSign- wrote:

I agree.

killing ozai could have been done. we've already seen azula strike down aang with lightning. the death just cant be gory.

but there are more complications to the killing of ozai than you'd think. i believe that Axrendale brought up the point that the FN would probably not go along well with the killing of ozai, and thus imprisonment was a better solution to the problem

skye3001

[15]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 3
    I was originally for killing the Firelord. I thought they were selling out in order to promote a more nonviolent theme.

But somebody else's post (I don't remember who, exactly, so I apologize in advance!) explained how his decision solidified his position as the Avatar. After talking to all of his past lives and all of his friends, they told him the same thing: Kill the firelord. Yet, as the person with the power to choose, he found his own way. He didn't do what everybody else told him to (even what his past lives, who are much more experienced than he is) and did what got BOTH the job done AND kept him true to himself.

He made his own decision, and thus proved to the entire world that he was capable of being the Avatar. That it wasn't about being strong enough to kill people who posed a threat, but being able to solve problems. It was better, I believe, as instead of being feared as the guy who killed the fire lord, he could be loved as the guy who brought justice.

To me, he's effing BATMAN!

hkulka2974

[16]Jul 20, 2008

skye3001 wrote:
    I was originally for killing the Firelord. I thought they were selling out in order to promote a more nonviolent theme. But somebody else's post (I don't remember who, exactly, so I apologize in advance!) explained how his decision solidified his position as the Avatar. After talking to all of his past lives and all of his friends, they told him the same thing: Kill the firelord. Yet, as the person with the power to choose, he found his own way. He didn't do what everybody else told him to (even what his past lives, who are much more experienced than he is) and did what got BOTH the job done AND kept him true to himself. He made his own decision, and thus proved to the entire world that he was capable of being the Avatar. That it wasn't about being strong enough to kill people who posed a threat, but being able to solve problems. It was better, I believe, as instead of being feared as the guy who killed the fire lord, he could be loved as the guy who brought justice. To me, he's effing BATMAN!

killing the firelord would've also contradicted aang's character, and thus make a sort of plot hole. by not killing the firelord and by taking away his bending aang found a way to make the people and himself happy

ISpeakTheTruth

[17]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 33
    Aang did the right thing, now that Ozai is no longer a threat to anyone maybe now he can reflect on everything that he has done and see how wrong he was... or maybe not.

The point is that Aang had a choice to either kill him or spare him and he did the right thing. Ozai is still a person and he has a very long time to find some sort of redemption.

SpiffyBacon

[18]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 10
    Wait a minute, isn't there another thread on this?

[19]Jul 20, 2008

SpiffyBacon wrote:
    Wait a minute, isn't there another thread on this?

ya...sorry i realized that right after i posted this...but who cares??? i dont

kitsuneboy1

[20]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 10
    I think Ozia losing his bending may have been a crueler fate than death.

I wonder if Spirit Bending could do something about Azula, seeing as she totally lost it.