We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Was it right to not kill the Firelord??? Or do you think he should've...

Do you think Aang should've killed the firelord??? (phoinex king)

isabelwhatx

[41]Aug 28, 2008
    • level: 14
    -TheSecondSign- wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    -TheSecondSign- wrote:

I don't care.

I'm suprised anyone can value his life at all, but I'm even more suprised at the general attitude people portray towards those who prefer more affirmative action. They act like we're inferior and that we are in love with killing people for no reason whatsoever, and that they are somehow more spiritually inclined than us.

I wouldn't think that at all if someone would give me a good reason for Ozai's death. Most people just want it for the drama, which isn't why it should happen. If you can give a valid point on why Ozai should've been killed I'd be very, very happy.

I don't care what happens to people who commit such acts. I don't care if they die or live, so long as they are incarcerated for the remainder of their existence in a stink infested hole.

It's not my problem. Then again, if the war had taken let's say my whole family, I think I would've probably been very upset that he didn't die, but from where I stand, I don't care.

I would've killed Ozai, personally, but the whole point we're trying to make is that if AANG had killed Ozai it would've been completely out of character and ridiculous.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

-TheSecondSign-

[42]Aug 28, 2008
    • level: 8

suss2it wrote:
    dantedones wrote:
    I would have taken his power away, and then killed him
    But that would be so unnecessary.

It would be very funny.

I would do it so where he thought I'd spare him, but right when I turn away, I come back around and cut his throat. Then, I'd watch as his horrorstruck eyes rolled slowly into the back of his head, and I would quietly smile at him.

Then I would laugh a lot and go use my bending powers to do other humorous things, like setting Chin's village on fire and then encasing people's heads in blocks of ice.

Axrendale

[43]Aug 28, 2008
    • level: 10
    -TheSecondSign- wrote:

I don't care.

I'm suprised anyone can value his life at all, but I'm even more suprised at the general attitude people portray towards those who prefer more affirmative action. They act like we're inferior and that we are in love with killing people for no reason whatsoever, and that they are somehow more spiritually inclined than us.

Personally, I have always been absolutely dead set against the death penalty. In Australia, where I come from, the Death Penalty has been outlawed for decades - so perhaps I am biased.

I believe that the moment people stop trying to be better than those that they deem "evil" simply for purposes of practicality, then those "evil" people have won an important victory - they have forced those who fight them to stoop to their level, perhaps not to the same degree, but nevertheless, a step has been taken in the wrong direction.

In many ways, legends like Avatar go a long way (I hope) to reinforcing attitudes like this. Many people who have been around long enough to get to know me quite well have seen that I am very fond of Star Wars quotes. I am proud to say that the original Star Wars trilogy formed the basis for my entire concept of morality. In the Star Wars communities, there is definitely a tendancy to look disfavorably on those who disaprove of the ending of episode VI - the sparing and redemption of Darth Vader.

Sorry - I'm rambling. Anyway, I hope that I personally have never given off that impression to anyone, but I have to say that if Aang had killed Ozai, this series would definitely have lost something for me. One of the reasons that I grew to love it was because of the morality behind the actions of the heros - I emphasize with them. For me, the ending was perfect.

To get back to your original statement - we people who approve of sparing Ozai must, by definition, stand upon the moral high ground, because if we don't we're out of the argument. Our entire argument pretty much rests on the superior morality of Aang's actions - without morality to provide a motive they would have been stupid. Fortunatly however, we do have morality.

Chaospyro

[44]Aug 28, 2008
    -TheSecondSign- wrote:

suss2it wrote:
    dantedones wrote:
    I would have taken his power away, and then killed him
    But that would be so unnecessary.

It would be very funny.

I would do it so where he thought I'd spare him, but right when I turn away, I come back around and cut his throat. Then, I'd watch as his horrorstruck eyes rolled slowly into the back of his head, and I would quietly smile at him.

Then I would laugh a lot and go use my bending powers to do other humorous things, like setting Chin's village on fire and then encasing people's heads in blocks of ice.

*Wonders whether I should be disturbed or interested by this*

Necro_17

[45]Nov 4, 2008
    • level: 5

I believe Aang SHOULD have had to have killed the Firelord

In real life, not everything works out the way we want it to, like is full of if's and but's

9999/10000 times a Giant Lion Turtle isn't going to appear and help you solve your problems peacefully

I admit Ozai got a fate worse that death, but it is necessary to undertsnad that death, however sad or wrong, is a natural part of life

I admit this following example may be slightly out of the exact context but - Before WW2 The British Government didn't want to engage in another war, and as a result appeased Hitler and allowed him to build a bigger army for the invasion of Europe, and I don't think I need to tell anyone what happened come 1939. Although this is much more comparable to the Roku/Sozin part of Avatar, the point is, the more you delay something, the more people will get hurt.

Sorry if none of this makes any sense

Probably Doesn't

Anyway in conclusion...Aang should have killed the Firelord

gilvatar

[46]Nov 4, 2008
    • level: 17
    Let's say you're Ozai and you could either A) Die in a giant spiraling show of all four element or B) be rendered powerless, rot in a prison cell, and die of somethign lame and random like scurvey or someting?

I think Ozai was like I hope I win, but if I don't at least I'll get a "hero's" death. Aang gave him neither.

Spazdog

[47]Nov 4, 2008
    • level: 7

gilvatar wrote:
    Let's say you're Ozai and you could either A) Die in a giant spiraling show of all four element or B) be rendered powerless, rot in a prison cell, and die of somethign lame and random like scurvey or someting? I think Ozai was like I hope I win, but if I don't at least I'll get a "hero's" death. Aang gave him neither.

i wouldn't but that's just me.

gilvatar

[48]Nov 5, 2008
    • level: 17
    Spazdog wrote:

gilvatar wrote:
    Let's say you're Ozai and you could either A) Die in a giant spiraling show of all four element or B) be rendered powerless, rot in a prison cell, and die of somethign lame and random like scurvey or someting? I think Ozai was like I hope I win, but if I don't at least I'll get a "hero's" death. Aang gave him neither.

i wouldn't but that's just me.

if you're Ozai, so you have Ozai's personality & thoughts 7 stuff.

Falcondude123

[49]Nov 10, 2008

I wanna make one thing clear- just cuz I believe that it makes far more sense to kill Ozai, doesn't mean I blame Aang for not doing it or in any way question that it was Aang's right to make the final decision.

Execution is a serious thing, an action that is only to be carried out for one of two main reasons: Either the individual is too dangerous to be locked up, or else the criminal's crimes disqualify him to live off of the amenities of the people's government.

Such an act can only be implemented by the people's authority; it is their society being protected, their government and their freedoms and thier safety. If an individual threatens their lives, they have the right to lock up, or in certain instances kill the individual for the good of the people.

In our systems of society, the people elect the government to make such choices on their behalf.

Aang was not elected by the people.

However, Aang is the avatar, which according to the show means it is somehow determined by a higher power that his role is to keep peace in the world by whatever means are neccesary, including executing dangerous individuals. So, in essence, it was Aang's right, when acting for world peace, to kill whomever he had to. It is also his responsibility to decide if criminals should be punished in another manner, such as locking them up.

There are reasons why we don't execute everyone who deserves it: they may not be guilty; there is always that chance. Also, if you believe in an afterlife(which I personally do), then you realize that if you send a killer to be judged before they have a chance to repent, you are dooming a soul to hell. We would rather give them a chance to redeem themselves, atleast partially, and atone for their sins. This is partially why heroes like Aang try to avoid killing, and why Aang felt refrain from executing the firelord.

However, many individuals will never repent. They will never atone for thier wrongdoings, and will cling unapologetically to thier past in the firm belief that they were right and everyone else was wrong. I believe that Ozai is one of these individuals- he scorned the mercy aang showed him, and called him "weak". In prison, he mocked Zuko for coming to see him. He was a phsychopath who couldn't be reasoned with.

Such individuals are taxing on the system- they require food, water, shelter, and security. They are very expensive wastes of resources and money. They are allowed to live in prison for the rest of their lives in order to protect the people whilst giving them a chance to repent, which they will never do.

In my opinion, if they will never make up for thier crimes, then serious criminals are safer to society when they are killed. Otherwise they still pose a sligh danger to society and waste the resources which that society has generously provided.

Since the firelord will probably never relenquish any atonement, he is a waste of resources and a continual danger to the world(he may not be able to bend anymore, but he must certainly still have supporters). In my opinion, he should have been eliminated.

Nevertheless, Aang had the authority to make the call in behalf of the people, and I respect the people's decision made through him.

isabelwhatx

[50]Nov 10, 2008
    Overall, if Aang had killed Ozai, he would've been atrociously out of character and the whole point of the show would've been demolished.

Spazdog

[51]Nov 10, 2008

isabelwhatx wrote:
    Overall, if Aang had killed Ozai, he would've been atrociously out of character and the whole point of the show would've been demolished.

pretty much

Falcondude123

[52]Nov 11, 2008
    Spazdog wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:

pretty much

Okay, so all the firenation soldiers he killed at the North Pole, in the Blue Spirit, and various other killings throughout the show, DIDN'T demolish the show?

How does giving the Oaster special treatment make a deadly show less deadly or wutever?

Aang: "I've killed dozens, if not hundreds, of people already, yet the one person who made it all neccessary, the most evil of evils, the absolute antagonist to freedom, justice, life and liberty, yeah I think I'll just spare him against the advice of my past lives and friends, and let him continue to exist as a figurehead for his gorilla loyalists at the expense of the people of the world, because if I didn't do so, Nick would so sue me..."

isabelwhatx

[53]Nov 11, 2008
    Falcondude123 wrote:
    Spazdog wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:

pretty much

Okay, so all the firenation soldiers he killed at the North Pole, in the Blue Spirit, and various other killings throughout the show, DIDN'T demolish the show?

How does giving the Oaster special treatment make a deadly show less deadly or wutever?

Aang: "I've killed dozens, if not hundreds, of people already, yet the one person who made it all neccessary, the most evil of evils, the absolute antagonist to freedom, justice, life and liberty, yeah I think I'll just spare him against the advice of my past lives and friends, and let him continue to exist as a figurehead for his gorilla loyalists at the expense of the people of the world, because if I didn't do so, Nick would so sue me..."

We never really see someone die. Aang never directly kills anyone. He simply... brushes them out of the way.

Alpha1Niner

[54]Nov 12, 2008
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    Falcondude123 wrote:
    Spazdog wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:

pretty much

We never really see someone die. Aang never directly kills anyone. He simply... brushes them out of the way.
    ^...and into the freezing waters below filled with large chunks of ice and possible maneating creatures.

bag2218

[55]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 12
    I definetly think Ozai should've died if not by sure Aang would feel guilty for a while but he'd get over it. and if he didnt kill i think Zuko should've(I also think it was dumb for Aang to fight the firelord alone, I know it's his destiny but defeat the firelord but he could've gotten help towards the end from Katara and Zuko when they were done tihe Azula...then again, Zuko was pretty hurt so maybe just Katara) the firelord really did deserve to die he should be grateful tht Aang spared his life when his own son would've killed him without hesitation

36th_Phantom

[56]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 9
    Aang should of killed him (imo)

Spazdog

[57]Nov 12, 2008

36th_Phantom wrote:

what's the point? Ang already took away his bending making him completely useless. I just hope they don't do that to my poor Azula

tenacon

[58]Nov 13, 2008
    Aang=Budda+Bruce Lee
    thus...Don't kill Firelord. You probally voted No on Michigan's Proposal 2.Life are Sacred to Zutarains.

bag2218

[59]Nov 15, 2008
    • level: 12
    Spazdog wrote:

36th_Phantom wrote:

what's the point? Ang already took away his bending making him completely useless. I just hope they don't do that to my poor Azula

The point is, just because Ozai can't bend anymore doesnt mean he isn't dangerous(remember how badass Zuko is with his swords?) he could learn something else. plus what if something weird happens like Azula regaining her sanity, learns spirt world magic or sum creepy voodoo sh*t and gives her dad his bending back so he can help her ule the world? Plus Ozai was a dictator, and we all know how most real dictators have or should've ended up.