We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

The Official Book 3: Fire Discussion Thread

SPDShadowRanger

[1]Apr 4, 2009
    • level: 72

I noticed other users mention this in other threads so now I'm making them. Avatar is over sadly, but fans still like to discuss episodes. However, making episode discussion threads is kind of pointless now, so now each season will have its own discussion thread. Please try to keep all discussion here. Obviously it can't be solely limited to this thread, but I think you know what I mean.

So now, discuss the third season in this amazing series!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

joshwim8

[2]Apr 4, 2009
    • level: 10
    SPDShadowRanger wrote:

I noticed other users mention this in other threads so now I'm making them. Avatar is over sadly, but fans still like to discuss episodes. However, making episode discussion threads is kind of pointless now, so now each season will have its own discussion thread. Please try to keep all discussion here. Obviously it can't be solely limited to this thread, but I think you know what I mean.

So now, discuss the third season in this amazing series!

hey spdshadowranger.
    anyway book 3 was amazing expecailly the movie.well i`ll post more later but i gotta go to a party

Rock_Goddess_18

[3]Apr 4, 2009
    • level: 17

Now Book Three probably had the most exciting, epic, and truly awesome and well thought-out episodes/chapters of all time.

Book Three always impresses me, and this book has a lot to do with fire because Aang starts to finally practice bending that element in this book. Also due to the fact that at the last four chapters he battles the king of Fire and Evil in the world who is none other than the Fire Lord (aka The Phoenix King.)

Also Prince Zuko finally manages to gain the Gaang's trust and joins their team after pursuing them and being their enemy for so long towards the end of this book. It sure was good seeing him decide to join the good side! And then plan to take down the Fire Lord!

I could discuss so much more about this awesome book but I'll just say this: Book Three also has my most favorite chapters/episodes ever out of the entire series, number one being Avatar Aang, and the other three parts/chapters before Avatar Aang to the grand finale were also super incredible. Next in line are both of the parts to the exciting chapter(s) of The Boiling Rock! And lastly, Nightmares and Daydreams is also a classic in my book, and it was funny! (ex. is the pants falling down scenes.)

edmasterchaos

[4]Apr 4, 2009
    • level: 41

Other thant he Eclipse and Comet, it was kinda bland, it had The Avatar And The Fire Lord, The Western Air Temple, Boiling Rock and Souther Raiders (and the last two weren't that awesome anyway, they were good, but not much) and that was about it, everything else was mostly a waste of space.
    As a whole it's Ok, slightly better than season 1, but the good episodes this season were some of the best in the series.

Oh, and the Comedy Filler Before Epic Battle were hit/miss they did bring a few good laughs, but otherwise they were a waste of time.

Edited on 04/04/2009 4:29pm

ranger8060

[5]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 7
    i thought the only unneccesary episode was the painted lady/ katara had plenty of development in the runaway and the sr

jakelong_5

[6]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 9
    book 3 was the best!book 2 was cool book 1 was ok but they all rocked

MarryLarry

[7]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 11
    edmasterchaos wrote:

Other thant he Eclipse and Comet, it was kinda bland, it had The Avatar And The Fire Lord, The Western Air Temple, Boiling Rock and Souther Raiders (and the last two weren't that awesome anyway, they were good, but not much) and that was about it

I personally thought that The Southern Raiders had the best opening of any episode as well as the best Zuko vs. Azula fight. Take away the music from their Agni Kai in Sozin's Comet and it's not nearly as epic. I can see why people would say it's their favorite scene, but fight? Come on.

S3 was good, with quite a few great episodes like The Puppetmaster. I just wish they had more Ozai and CM. They didn't need to be in every episode, but the writers really should of made the CM vs. Gaang fight the main focus of The Beach rather than the teenaged angst fest.

And Ozai didn't do anything until the finale. He was only in 2 scenes of S3 before Sozin's Comet, both scenes being great, which made me want more of this character. Now I can understand the writers wanting to conserve Ozai's power to make the finale that much more exciting, but he's supposed to be the main villain and I really think they should of done more with his character. A episode on why he went from 'dear ol' dad' to "the worst father in the history of fathers" would have satisfied me.

Other than that S3 pretty much followed the formula of S1 with most of the episodes not really affecting what happens in the next, unlike S2 where just about every episode's outcome directly affects the next. I tend to like S2's formula when it comes to shows so as a whole I say it's the best season. The other two are still great in their own way and have some of the best episodes of any series, live-action or animated.

BradyTheRandom

[8]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 5

Book 3

Chapter 1: The Awakening

This was a great episode. It was definately a great way to start off the new season after nine months of waiting. Particularly, I really liked the showing of Ozai's face, the in-depth explaination of the month we skipped over, and the extreme character developement for Zuko, Aang, and Katara. This is one of my favorites. 8/10

Chapter 2: The Headband

Now, we come to Fire Nation culture. I must say, that there wasn't enough character developement for the Gaang in this episode, as most of it was on Zuko's part, as his paranoia began setting in. One thing I really loved about this one was the in-depth look into Fire Nation culture, and how they have convinced their citizens that the war is justified. It's alright. 6.5/10

Chapter 3: The Painted Lady

Only two episodes of Avatar have been filler. This is one of them. I must say, that the animation in this episode just seemed a little off, and the environments just weren't pleasing to the eye. The fights were too short lived, and the jokes were pretty corny. One thing I can say, is that this episode does have Katara developement, but not much, just elaborating further on her "caring attitude." It's not one of the best, but it is Avatar, so it's not THAT bad. 5/10

Chapter 4: Sokka's Master

Before now, Sokka had pretty much just been the comic relief and scienfitic genious of the group, with not very much developement. This is one of the only "Sokka episodes," which is refreshing. This episode had great intelligence and fighting seqences. Plus, the comedy was pretty good, too. One thing that I REALLY enjoyed was the Iroh story. Finally, we get to see what Iroh is doing. And when you saw those muscles, you know you were shocked out of your mind. Great episode! 9/10

Chapter 5: The Beach

Wow, this has to be the ONLY episode in the series where the Gaang are NOT part of the A story. Instead, this focuses on the ZuCrew. I really liked the developement of ALL FOUR of these characters at the end of the episode, and partially throughout the middle. Also, we see in this episode that Zuko and Mai's relationship can endure hardships, but through the fire and the flames they carry on. Nice funny moments, and I loved Combustion Man. 7.8/10

TO BE CONTINUED...

SPDShadowRanger

[9]Apr 5, 2009
    The only episode I really didn't like was The Ember Island Players. I found it kind of boring, and its placement was inbetween two important episodes.

joshwim8

[10]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 10
    SPDShadowRanger wrote:
    The only episode I really didn't like was The Ember Island Players. I found it kind of boring, and its placement was inbetween two important episodes.

i found the ember island players quit amusing.i like how they put a non-action packed episode before/in the middle of two important episodes

AllieAllie

[11]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 22

joshwim8 wrote:
    SPDShadowRanger wrote:
    i found the ember island players quit amusing.i like how they put a non-action packed episode before/in the middle of two important episodes

I agree, I thought this episode was pretty funny.

snowprincess456

[12]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 15
    Nice idea on the thread! It should prevent many useless threads.

I think my favorite season 3 episode was The Puppet Master. It seemed to be the one of the darkest episodes.

MancubusKnight

[13]Apr 6, 2009
    • level: 9

I liked how the art and backgrounds vastly improved in the third season, those stills were amazing. :O

S3 could have had more Wang Fire though :\

carfluze

[14]Apr 7, 2009
    • level: 4

my favorite episodes from book 3 are "the sun warriors","the southern raiders" and "sozins comet part 3: into the inferno"

im new to this fourm btw

AllieAllie

[15]Apr 7, 2009
    • level: 22
    carfluze wrote:

my favorite episodes from book 3 are "the sun warriors","the southern raiders" and "sozins comet part 3: into the inferno"

im new to this fourm btw

Oh hi! Welcome to the forums. Its always nice to get new members who are as obsessed with Avatar as we crazy folks here are.

isabelwhatx

[16]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 14
    Season 3, by far, had the most drama. It's going to be favoured by most because it's the end of the series and, obviously, incredibly epic But sometimes it just lost it for me *shrugs*

ross93

[17]Apr 8, 2009
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    Season 3, by far, had the most drama. It's going to be favoured by most because it's the end of the series and, obviously, incredibly epic But sometimes it just lost it for me *shrugs*

it is epic but episodes 1-5 were a waste of time they could have done somehtign better

isabelwhatx

[18]Apr 8, 2009
    Well, episode one paralleled Aang to Zuko, and that was really important.

SPDShadowRanger

[19]Apr 8, 2009
    isabelwhatx wrote:

I think the reason was the wait. With nine months and then 8 months of a wait people got so suspenseful that they thought more was going to happen.

edmasterchaos

[20]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 41
    ross93 wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    it is epic but episodes 1-5 were a waste of time they could have done somehtign better
    And they could've done way better in The FireBending Masters.

Aztecs with firebending that is never mentioned again, dragons that don't anything and pretty much saying 'Oh yeah, the FN was evil from the start, yup, they killed these awesome guys, even Roku knows lame-rage-bending rather than True Rainbow Bending'
    :/