We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

The Official Book 2: Earth Discussion Thread

SPDShadowRanger

[1]Apr 4, 2009
    • level: 72

I noticed other users mention this in other threads so now I'm making them. Avatar is over sadly, but fans still like to discuss episodes. However, making episode discussion threads is kind of pointless now, so now each season will have its own discussion thread. Please try to keep all discussion here. Obviously it can't be solely limited to this thread, but I think you know what I mean.

So now, discuss the second season in this amazing series!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Rock_Goddess_18

[2]Apr 4, 2009
    • level: 17

This was also a great and exciting/epic book which is the second (or Middle) one out of the series. Just like its element for the book implied, (in fact its the same with the other two books) this book had a lot to do with the Earth element and the Earth Bending. As this book introduced a new important character to the show: Toph. And she is the world's greatest Earth Bender but is also blind. Ah, that Blind Bandit episode was pure sweetness. XD.

Also this episode showed Ba Sing Se, the world's biggest Earth Kingdom city. Also this book introduces three new villains: Azula, Mai, and Ty Lee.

Azula also is good at electric-bending (practice from her father is likely as he also knwos how to electric-bend.)

Anyway, Book Two also had its exciting and impressive chapters. But I'll discuss them later.

edmasterchaos

[3]Apr 4, 2009
    • level: 41
    Best one, no question.

Good chapter after good chapter, they were all used perfectly, pretty good arcs, Ba Sing Se was impresive, the characters introduced were excellent, the animation was an excellent improvement over the last season, it was simply excellent in all aspects.

And, CrossRoads Of Destiny could possibly even beat Sozin's Comet in best episode, seeing how Sozin's Comet had it's flaws in excecution here and there. (the fights are the only thing that totally beat CrossRoads Of Destiny)

tawn11

[4]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 3
    This was definitely the season that took Avatar to it's peak, everything from around Chapter 15 to the finale was golden. I very muched loved the idea that Mike and Bryan didn't have the usual "good guys win in the end" kind of thing- where in Cross Roads of Destiny, the good guys definitely didn't win(and we were in SO MUCH anxiety for what happened next!). This season introduced Azula(well actually, the very last scene in Book One did, but you know what I mean) who is my all time favorite character. She definitely spiced up the series along with Mai and Ty Lee. This book also had it's great fighting scenes including the three-way fight in The Chase, bringing down the drill in, well, The Drill, our first encounter with lightning bending(if you dont count Iroh redirecting the lightning from the storm in book one), an in depth look into the Avatar State, and of course, METAL BENDING!!! This is the fireworks to Avatar.

AllieAllie

[5]Apr 6, 2009
    • level: 22
    This was a good season, its where the series started to really pick up. I have a lot of faves in this season; The Cave of Two Lovers was hilarious, plus it had some Kataang, which also pleased me. The Blind Bandit was another great episode, this is where we met Toph. I thought Zuko Alone was good since we got to learn more about Zuko, his past, and his personality. I also liked Avatar Day, the Chase, the Library, the Desert, (talking mushroom! LOL), the Serpent's Pass, the Drill, Tales of Ba Sing Sae, Appa's Lost Days(I loved how it was all Appa), and the Crossroads of Destiny. Now that I'm thinking about this, I think S2 is my favorite season. I like almost all of the episodes in this season and more than in the other seasons.

JadeBlosssom

[6]Apr 6, 2009
    • level: 4
    Probably my favourite season. I loved Zuko Alone and The Chase. The Crossroads of Destiny was superb but in my opinion, they shouldn't have shown Aang waking up after the spiit water healing. It would've made it more suspenseful.

gilvatar

[7]Apr 7, 2009
    JadeBlosssom wrote:
    Probably my favourite season. I loved Zuko Alone and The Chase. The Crossroads of Destiny was superb but in my opinion, they shouldn't have shown Aang waking up after the spiit water healing. It would've made it more suspenseful.
    Are you kidding? I would have died from the suspense.

AllieAllie

[8]Apr 7, 2009
    • level: 22

gilvatar wrote:
    JadeBlosssom wrote:

Yeah, especially considering the long hiatus between s2 and s3, I would have had too much time to convince myself that Aang was dead and spent most of the nine months going nuts over it.

JadeBlosssom

[9]Apr 7, 2009
    gilvatar wrote:
    JadeBlosssom wrote:
    But you'd be craving it It would have been such a good way to start Book 3.

ChopaYaNose

[10]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 5
    JadeBlosssom wrote:
    gilvatar wrote:
    JadeBlosssom wrote:

People here were ready to rip other people's arms off for season 3 to finally get here. We did not need more suspense. Besides, how can there be a season three of Avatar: The Last Airbender with a dead last airbender?

JadeBlosssom

[11]Apr 8, 2009
    I just think it would have been a cool idea.

gilvatar

[12]Apr 8, 2009
    ChopaYaNose wrote:
    JadeBlosssom wrote:
    gilvatar wrote:
    JadeBlosssom wrote:

People here were ready to rip other people's arms off for season 3 to finally get here. We did not need more suspense. Besides, how can there be a season three of Avatar: The Last Airbender with a dead last airbender?
    I actually did *waves someone else's arm*

BradyTheRandom

[13]Apr 8, 2009

Season 1 had the most moral and lightheartedness.

Season 3 had the most action.

But Season 2, it had the most plot, drama, and character developement BY FAR.

kratosgod69

[14]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 11
    The misstep of season 2 (and 3, for that matter) was the animation. 1's animation was beautiful and nigh-perfect; Avatar, in regards to animation, at its finest.
    What season 2 lacked in animation, it made up for it with its brilliant second half. Maybe it was due to my low expectations, but never has a show impressed me that much. With its dramatic, serial plotline, and its depiction of a dystopian, totalitarian society, it compelled me to watch as no other animated show has. FUKN BRILLIANT

Water78

[15]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 47

Not sure if i am right about this, but i think an important character who cant see was introduced in this season.

***SPOILER***

So people really miss avatar that much.

JadeBlosssom

[16]Apr 11, 2009
    She was

but does that need spoiler tags in this season thread?

boomeraangsquad

[17]Apr 12, 2009
    I pretty much agree with what everyone has said in this thread.

Season 2 was Avatar at its peak and it had the most plot, drama, and character development (as BradyTheRandom stated). Season 2 was my favorite. It really was what Avatar was. The epicness of it was incredible. This was when I began to really love Avatar. I enjoyed every episode, chapter after chapter. The whole Ba Sing Se era was golden and had some of the best Avatar episode of all time.

I loved all the storylines introduced this season. The gaang looking for an earthbending teacher, Zuko and Iroh being fugitives, Azula, Toph, Appa being stolen, The whole journey to Ba Sing Se, and stopping Azula.

Everything was just so amazing. The ending was so suspenseful. I remember after seeing this, I sat there with my jaw open for like 5 minutes. We wanted more.

Overall, incredible season. Avatar at its peak.

joshwim8

[18]Apr 13, 2009
    • level: 10
    boomeraangsquad wrote:
    I pretty much agree with what everyone has said in this thread.

Season 2 was Avatar at its peak and it had the most plot, drama, and character development (as BradyTheRandom stated). Season 2 was my favorite. It really was what Avatar was. The epicness of it was incredible. This was when I began to really love Avatar. I enjoyed every episode, chapter after chapter. The whole Ba Sing Se era was golden and had some of the best Avatar episode of all time.

I loved all the storylines introduced this season. The gaang looking for an earthbending teacher, Zuko and Iroh being fugitives, Azula, Toph, Appa being stolen, The whole journey to Ba Sing Se, and stopping Azula.

Everything was just so amazing. The ending was so suspenseful. I remember after seeing this, I sat there with my jaw open for like 5 minutes. We wanted more.

Overall, incredible season. Avatar at its peak.

YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH

Sektos

[19]Apr 14, 2009
    • level: 10
    The reason this, as a WHOLE season, probably tops s3 for me is because the beginning of s3 was sooo lackluster after having seen the final eps of S2. We were forced into a stupid relationship between Mai and Zuko which didnt (atleast 4 me) have any energy till NN&DDs where we saw them having a resemblance of a happy relationship and mai having personality (i swear these scenes were cut from earlier eps, PROOF; Zuko acts no differently afta hearing news of ancestry despite big shock in previous ep). Again no true development of Kataang (oh look a blush) and a kiss which i guessed correctly that Katara didn't really share. We even had a scene of the issue being FINALLY brought up only for it to be DUMPED and supposably resolved off screen so that the hero Aang could kiss her at the end.

We got stuck with a number of stand alone episodes that didnt add very much to the story (alot of it we had already seen) and left us wondering what the hell they were doing; lets join a school, protect a random village, beach party for Ozai Angels and Zuko, and an entire episode devoted Aang not being able to sleep (now i liked this episode, but after so many useless one i was a little dissapointed). Alot of these episodes were too self contained and caused characters to do backflips *cough* zuko *cough*. Didnt help that they hardly showed Zuko at ALL at start of S3, and the whole plot of the bounty hunter was poorly used.

2nd half of season 3 (with DOBS) was mostly fantastic, as probably most fans agree, but my issue of little Kataang development continued and the end fight of Aang and Ozai (though cool) turned into Dragon Ball Z as they no longer needed any martial arts and all gained the ability to fly. THis is the reason i loved the Zuko and Azula fight more because it still maintained a semblance to original concept of bending. Also Aang magically getting Avatar state back by hitting a rock?!?!

My only wish for the finale was that it would have made Zuko's victory more definite before Azula forced his hand to save Katara, that they explained WHY the Fire Nation agreed to stop war (PLOT HOLE) ie saw Azula as dishonorable and disagreed with destruction of EK, and had Aang and Katara talk out there feelings in some form.

Season 2, as ppl have said, had over arching plots; learn EB and controlling Av State, Get to Ba Sing Sei, save Appa, eclipse plan, removing Long Fei, Iroh and Zuko fugitives, Zuko discovering self, and the threat of Ozai Angels. IF S3 had had stronger first episodes i probably would have made it atleast equal to S2 as a whole

gilvatar

[20]Apr 14, 2009
    Sektos wrote:
    The reason this, as a WHOLE season, probably tops s3 for me is because the beginning of s3 was sooo lackluster after having seen the final eps of S2. We were forced into a stupid relationship between Mai and Zuko which didnt (atleast 4 me) have any energy till NN&DDs where we saw them having a resemblance of a happy relationship and mai having personality (i swear these scenes were cut from earlier eps, PROOF; Zuko acts no differently afta hearing news of ancestry despite big shock in previous ep). Again no true development of Kataang (oh look a blush) and a kiss which i guessed correctly that Katara didn't really share. We even had a scene of the issue being FINALLY brought up only for it to be DUMPED and supposably resolved off screen so that the hero Aang could kiss her at the end.

We got stuck with a number of stand alone episodes that didnt add very much to the story (alot of it we had already seen) and left us wondering what the hell they were doing; lets join a school, protect a random village, beach party for Ozai Angels and Zuko, and an entire episode devoted Aang not being able to sleep (now i liked this episode, but after so many useless one i was a little dissapointed). Alot of these episodes were too self contained and caused characters to do backflips *cough* zuko *cough*. Didnt help that they hardly showed Zuko at ALL at start of S3, and the whole plot of the bounty hunter was poorly used.

2nd half of season 3 (with DOBS) was mostly fantastic, as probably most fans agree, but my issue of little Kataang development continued and the end fight of Aang and Ozai (though cool) turned into Dragon Ball Z as they no longer needed any martial arts and all gained the ability to fly. THis is the reason i loved the Zuko and Azula fight more because it still maintained a semblance to original concept of bending. Also Aang magically getting Avatar state back by hitting a rock?!?!

My only wish for the finale was that it would have made Zuko's victory more definite before Azula forced his hand to save Katara, that they explained WHY the Fire Nation agreed to stop war (PLOT HOLE) ie saw Azula as dishonorable and disagreed with destruction of EK, and had Aang and Katara talk out there feelings in some form.

Season 2, as ppl have said, had over arching plots; learn EB and controlling Av State, Get to Ba Sing Sei, save Appa, eclipse plan, removing Long Fei, Iroh and Zuko fugitives, Zuko discovering self, and the threat of Ozai Angels. IF S3 had had stronger first episodes i probably would have made it atleast equal to S2 as a whole
    You know what? I actully thought S3 was the best but I agree w/ most of what u just said. Like Tehy could have done w/out Mai & Zuko or at least did they have to bring it back? I mean it started in the begining where pretty much everything for the 1st couple eppies for Zuko was like "look how far he's fallen". It doesn't make sense tto me that they brought it back when he was supposed to be good again. And the kataang thing...I mean they foreshadowed it enough in s1&2 but u'd think they'd foreshadow it more when they conclude it. And I feel like they were missing some things like, what happened to Roku's crown? (I serious thought the gaang was gonna find it and they'd find out all about his past) Did they really need CB? and above all WHERE IN THE WORLD IS URSA?!!! Is she hanging out w/ Carmen San Diego? To lead us on for 2 years then end it w/ a 4 word sentence? Cruel. I have no comment on what u said about the fights b/c I've never in my life seen Dragon ball Z. and as for the finale I just take it as it is. It looked like it happened the day after so...Although I would like to see some of Zuko & Aang working together to "rebuild the world"