We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

The New Official Kataang/Zutara Battlefield

Best Ship

lordozai890

[3561]Aug 18, 2008
    • level: 6
    I support Iroh/Katara. jk Zutara!!!! Too bad we lost. Well Zutarians, we lost, but we really didn't do anything...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jenwenluvzutara

[3562]Aug 18, 2008
    • level: 4
    the make out thing was weird, no offence. for me, kissing would be nice for zutara, but not really needed. if zutara happened, they would be together forever not because the kissing is nice. (from book four, the thing that bryke made with the fanarts) here's the thing, there is mutual understanding between the two, which it why i ship them. (okay, im just saying the tip of the iceberg here. it's way deeper than just understanding.) zutara goes deeper than just understanding, which roots into an everlasting relationship. kataang doesn't even have understanding from my view point. they seem so confused about each other. same with maiko.

Axrendale

[3563]Aug 18, 2008
    • level: 10

I will challenge you on that. Kataang has far, far more understanding in it than does Zutara. Katara has demonstrated her own massive understanding of Aang so many times throughout the series that it should be as plain as daylight. Aang does not understand Katara so well, but he deeply cares for her, and is willing to be understanding and forgiving.

Zuko and Katara empathize with and have sympathy for eachother because they have the shared experience of losing a mother. That is about it. Other than that they are polar opposites who are more likely to clash on every issue than achieve an understanding with eachother.

Edited on 08/19/2008 6:56pm

isabelwhatx

[3564]Aug 18, 2008
    • level: 14
    jenwenluvzutara wrote:
    the make out thing was weird, no offence. for me, kissing would be nice for zutara, but not really needed. if zutara happened, they would be together forever not because the kissing is nice. (from book four, the thing that bryke made with the fanarts) here's the thing, there is mutual understanding between the two, which it why i ship them. (okay, im just saying the tip of the iceberg here. it's way deeper than just understanding.) zutara goes deeper than just understanding, which roots into an everlasting relationship. kataang doesn't even have understanding from my view point. they seem so confused about each other. same with maiko.

Katara and Aang have been together from the start, whether they realized it or not. Aang and Katara are perfect for eachother

Katara makes Aang a better person. Continually she has shown that she can improve Aang's personality. Katara is always there to keep Aang in line and to help him when needed. THink about The Warriors of Kyoshi. Katara knew that Aang shouldn't have wrestled the monster fish, and she understood when it was time to stop. Aang is too immature to understand that. Katara also helps Aang when he enters the Avatar state. Continually, like in The Southern Air Temple and The Library, Katara helps Aang get out of his despair and control his emotions. She is always there to keep Aang in check.

Aang is also a positive force on Katara and has helped make her a better person. As shown in TSR, Aang also helps keep katara in check when she's PMSing. He gives her advice and helps her to understand why she should follow it. He also helps her be a little immature sometimes and shows her how to have some fun, like the time they went penguin sledding. Aang keeps Katara from being too motherly and stiff. He makes her happy and keeps her that way. They're both helping eachother in many ways. Aang and Katara balance eachother out nicely. Zuko would only feed off of Katara. She would teach him to be more kind and gentle. Of course, that would be wonderful for Zuko. But, it wouldn't for Katara. Zuko, as shown in TSR, offers nothing but hatred and encourages it. Katara's good personality would slowly turn bitter and resentful. Zuko would be something similar to a parasite.

Katara and Zuko have never plainly showed feelings for eachother like Aang and Katara have. I think it's pretty obvious who's the better match.

jenwenluvzutara

[3565]Aug 19, 2008

isabelwhatx wrote:
    jenwenluvzutara wrote:
    Katara and Aang have been together from the start, whether they realized it or not. Aang and Katara are perfect for eachother Katara makes Aang a better person. Continually she has shown that she can improve Aang's personality. Katara is always there to keep Aang in line and to help him when needed. THink about The Warriors of Kyoshi. Katara knew that Aang shouldn't have wrestled the monster fish, and she understood when it was time to stop. Aang is too immature to understand that. Katara also helps Aang when he enters the Avatar state. Continually, like in The Southern Air Temple and The Library, Katara helps Aang get out of his despair and control his emotions. She is always there to keep Aang in check. Aang is also a positive force on Katara and has helped make her a better person. As shown in TSR, Aang also helps keep katara in check when she's PMSing. He gives her advice and helps her to understand why she should follow it. He also helps her be a little immature sometimes and shows her how to have some fun, like the time they went penguin sledding. Aang keeps Katara from being too motherly and stiff. He makes her happy and keeps her that way. They're both helping eachother in many ways. Aang and Katara balance eachother out nicely. Zuko would only feed off of Katara. She would teach him to be more kind and gentle. Of course, that would be wonderful for Zuko. But, it wouldn't for Katara. Zuko, as shown in TSR, offers nothing but hatred and encourages it. Katara's good personality would slowly turn bitter and resentful. Zuko would be something similar to a parasite. Katara and Zuko have never plainly showed feelings for eachother like Aang and Katara have. I think it's pretty obvious who's the better match.

as far as improving goes, aang was improved by katara and katara improved herself (actually, she got more violent.) and as far a TSR, katara didn't really listen to aang. aang told her to do this, but katara solved it by herself without the help of aang, and only the support of zuko. and for parasites, aang feeds off way more. he takes all he can, and u said it urself, katara keeps giving him help and support, and aang gives nothing back. fun, yeah, a little, but that's not wut she needs. why did katara find closure and comfort with her mother from zuko, an emeny for a long time and not from aang, her boyfriend? maybe because aang cant give anything back to make her feel better. balancing each other out is nice, but sharing view points about the world and life is better (zutara)

okay, ive been waiting to say this till now. Axrendale and isabelwhatx, u guys ur awesome! okay, ive met like a lot of kataangers who blab on about how kataang pwns and stuf, and im really annoyed. it's way better to discuss with people like u, cause u can say wut u want without the stupid harassments.

jenwenluvzutara

[3566]Aug 19, 2008
    Axrendale wrote:

I will challenge you on that. Kataang has far, far more understanding in it than does Zutara. Katara has demonstrated her own massive understanding of Aang so many times throughout the series that it should be as plain as daylight. Aang does not understand Katara so well, but he deeply cares for her, and is willing to be understanding and forgiving.

Zuko and Katara emphasize with and have sympathy for eachother because they have the shared experience of losing a mother. That is about it. Other than that they are polar opposites who are more likely to clash on every issue than achieve an understanding with eachother.

idk, i dont think they understand each other. katara might understand better, but not aang. aang cares for her, but not enough to try to understand her. EIP is an example. katara said she was confused, but aang didn't care or listen. he pressed her on and on. "why don't u know?" he even tried to kiss her. bad move, but i get it. he wants her and he doesn't want to lose her, but doing wut he did, he should have backed off. when a woman says no, stay back. wut aang did made katara more confused and even guilty. if aang understood, he would have backed off. then there's the play when CoD happened. the zuko player said "but wait, i thought u were the avatar's girl!" then aang nods like they r together and maybe that katara even belongs to her. it kinda shows u aang's view point on katara. he thinks of her as a belonging that he can just kiss whenever he wants to. deeply caring? i dont think so.

IrohtheTea

[3567]Aug 19, 2008
    jenwenluvzutara wrote:
    Axrendale wrote:

Zuko and Katara emphasize with and have sympathy for eachother because they have the shared experience of losing a mother. That is about it. Other than that they are polar opposites who are more likely to clash on every issue than achieve an understanding with eachother.

idk, i dont think they understand each other. katara might understand better, but not aang. aang cares for her, but not enough to try to understand her. EIP is an example. katara said she was confused, but aang didn't care or listen. he pressed her on and on. "why don't u know?" he even tried to kiss her. bad move, but i get it. he wants her and he doesn't want to lose her, but doing wut he did, he should have backed off. when a woman says no, stay back. wut aang did made katara more confused and even guilty. if aang understood, he would have backed off. then there's the play when CoD happened. the zuko player said "but wait, i thought u were the avatar's girl!" then aang nods like they r together and maybe that katara even belongs to her. it kinda shows u aang's view point on katara. he thinks of her as a belonging that he can just kiss whenever he wants to. deeply caring? i dont think so.

i dont think 1 episodeis enough..

then he must be kissing katara and baging her the whole season?

NOPE
    he did not do that.

you cant just determine the trait of the character by watching 1 episode.

hmm then aang doesnt deeply care about katara, she would have been dead already

and the reason i dont agree on Zutara

if they had ONE TINY TEENY evidence of love/lust

i would say zutara works

BUT there isnt any evidence

well someone would say

"oh what about the finale, zuko jumped in front of katara thats love you newb"

zuko just did the right thing.

azula was being unfair at attacking katara. so he made the move.

then in every movie, the super hero rescues a old lady.

does this mean the hero loves her?

Edited on 08/19/2008 6:41pm

jenwenluvzutara

[3568]Aug 19, 2008
    okay, here's the thing. a lot of my friends mistake me as a kataang hater. im not. in fact i supported kataang from the beginning until The Guru. there, i learned one thing: aang doesn't truly, purely luv katara. one chakra deals with luv right, and katara was in there. then the last chakra dealt with attachment. that's when i realized aang didnt' truly luv her, because luv and attachment r 2 different things. luv sets u free. that's wut i know about luv. the earlier chakra that dealt with luv set aang free and opened one of his chakras. but the 7th chakra locked him and he couldn't freely go into the AS without opening it. okay, now i also know that luv and lust r opposites and if luv sets u free then lust locks u away, which was wut happened to aang. okay, im not calling aang a perverted freak. so from there, i saw zuko and katara with the cave scene, and then i jumped onto the zutara ship because i saw in them understanding. i also know that luv understands. so why am i saying this? i realized towards the end that zutara wasn't going to happen, so i hoped for one thing to happen- for aang to understand wut true luv is. but he didn't. the story should have been like this: aang discovers wut true luv is, and he finally lets go of his attachment. he would realize that by letting katara go, he would only let go of his attachment for her and not his luv for her. that would have been a much better ending than the AS crap ending that bryke gave (no offence) that way, i would also find closure because i would know that aang and katara truly luv each other and dont just lust for each other. (again, im not calling them pervs)

jenwenluvzutara

[3569]Aug 19, 2008
    IrohtheTea wrote:
    jenwenluvzutara wrote:
    Axrendale wrote:

i dont think 1 episodeis enough..

then he must be kissing katara and baging her the whole season?

NOPE
    he did not do that.

you cant just determine the trait of the character by watching 1 episode.

hmm then aang doesnt deeply care about katara, she would have been dead already

and the reason i dont agree on Zutara

if they had ONE TINY TEENY evidence of love/lust

i would say zutara works

BUT there isnt any evidence

well someone would say

"oh what about the finale, zuko jumped in front of katara thats love you newb"

zuko just did the right thing.

azula was being unfair at attacking katara. so he made the move.

then in every movie, the super hero rescues a old lady.

does this mean the hero loves her?

it was always aang trying to kiss katara. if not one episode, then two. nightmares and daydreams. no, wait three. the guru. (big one)

isabelwhatx

[3570]Aug 19, 2008
    • level: 14
    jenwenluvzutara wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:
    jenwenluvzutara wrote:
    Katara and Aang have been together from the start, whether they realized it or not. Aang and Katara are perfect for eachother Katara makes Aang a better person. Continually she has shown that she can improve Aang's personality. Katara is always there to keep Aang in line and to help him when needed. THink about The Warriors of Kyoshi. Katara knew that Aang shouldn't have wrestled the monster fish, and she understood when it was time to stop. Aang is too immature to understand that. Katara also helps Aang when he enters the Avatar state. Continually, like in The Southern Air Temple and The Library, Katara helps Aang get out of his despair and control his emotions. She is always there to keep Aang in check. Aang is also a positive force on Katara and has helped make her a better person. As shown in TSR, Aang also helps keep katara in check when she's PMSing. He gives her advice and helps her to understand why she should follow it. He also helps her be a little immature sometimes and shows her how to have some fun, like the time they went penguin sledding. Aang keeps Katara from being too motherly and stiff. He makes her happy and keeps her that way. They're both helping eachother in many ways. Aang and Katara balance eachother out nicely. Zuko would only feed off of Katara. She would teach him to be more kind and gentle. Of course, that would be wonderful for Zuko. But, it wouldn't for Katara. Zuko, as shown in TSR, offers nothing but hatred and encourages it. Katara's good personality would slowly turn bitter and resentful. Zuko would be something similar to a parasite. Katara and Zuko have never plainly showed feelings for eachother like Aang and Katara have. I think it's pretty obvious who's the better match.

as far as improving goes, aang was improved by katara and katara improved herself (actually, she got more violent.) and as far a TSR, katara didn't really listen to aang. aang told her to do this, but katara solved it by herself without the help of aang, and only the support of zuko. and for parasites, aang feeds off way more. he takes all he can, and u said it urself, katara keeps giving him help and support, and aang gives nothing back. fun, yeah, a little, but that's not wut she needs. why did katara find closure and comfort with her mother from zuko, an emeny for a long time and not from aang, her boyfriend? maybe because aang cant give anything back to make her feel better. balancing each other out is nice, but sharing view points about the world and life is better (zutara)

okay, ive been waiting to say this till now. Axrendale and isabelwhatx, u guys ur awesome! okay, ive met like a lot of kataangers who blab on about how kataang pwns and stuf, and im really annoyed. it's way better to discuss with people like u, cause u can say wut u want without the stupid harassments.

Aw, thanks It's much more fun to debate like this than to just blab on and on about how stupid Zutara/Kataang is. Not that I don't like to burn you guys But it's a delicate balance.

Katara didn't really need to listen to Aang in TSR in order for it to support my arguement. The fact that Aang knows better and offers to help Katara means that they both help eachother. Katara may have been stubborn, but I'm sure she would've listened if Zuko didn't rudely interrupt and encourage Katara's violent behavior. Also, Aang is not a parasite like Zuko. Aang offers advice (TSR), gives her a bit of immaturity, and is just a positive force overall.

Axrendale

[3571]Aug 19, 2008

jenwenluvzutara wrote:
    okay, here's the thing. a lot of my friends mistake me as a kataang hater. im not. in fact i supported kataang from the beginning until The Guru. there, i learned one thing: aang doesn't truly, purely luv katara. one chakra deals with luv right, and katara was in there. then the last chakra dealt with attachment. that's when i realized aang didnt' truly luv her, because luv and attachment r 2 different things. luv sets u free. that's wut i know about luv. the earlier chakra that dealt with luv set aang free and opened one of his chakras. but the 7th chakra locked him and he couldn't freely go into the AS without opening it. okay, now i also know that luv and lust r opposites and if luv sets u free then lust locks u away, which was wut happened to aang. okay, im not calling aang a perverted freak. so from there, i saw zuko and katara with the cave scene, and then i jumped onto the zutara ship because i saw in them understanding. i also know that luv understands. so why am i saying this? i realized towards the end that zutara wasn't going to happen, so i hoped for one thing to happen- for aang to understand wut true luv is. but he didn't. the story should have been like this: aang discovers wut true luv is, and he finally lets go of his attachment. he would realize that by letting katara go, he would only let go of his attachment for her and not his luv for her. that would have been a much better ending than the AS crap ending that bryke gave (no offence) that way, i would also find closure because i would know that aang and katara truly luv each other and dont just lust for each other. (again, im not calling them pervs)

I'll take you up on that.

Aang's love for Katara is about as pure as you can get. On what do I base this feeling? The various Kataang moments and what their foundation appeared to be. We saw in "The Guru" that Aang's love for Katara is, in effect, the reincarnation for his love for his entire people. Katara has effectively become Aang's entire people, his world. He has said it several times; "I'm doing this for you Katara". It's a deep spiritual love, that is perfectly demonstrated in moments like "The Desert", "The Avatar State", and "The Serpent's Pass". If there is any "lust"in the equation, it is not the main part of the formula. Likewise, for Katara, Aang is the embodiment of hope, the basis of Katara's courage to fight for what she believes in (which Aang represents). Do you see where I'm coming from?

And you too, are great to debate with. I have nothing against Zutara, I simply feel that if it happened, it might be based off of an understanding for eachother, but that understanding, for me, cannot compare with the deeply spiritual love that Aang and Katara have developed for eachother.

So I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you. Katara and Zuko might have achieved enough of an understanding to have a firm and steady relationship, but it is Aang and Katara who developed true, undying love.

Sorry if that was a bit confusing. At the moment I'm trying to rally a bunch of very put out people to petition the mods for allowing new character fan clubs to be formed.

jenwenluvzutara

[3572]Aug 19, 2008
    Axrendale wrote:

jenwenluvzutara wrote:

Aang's love for Katara is about as pure as you can get. On what do I base this feeling? The various Kataang moments and what their foundation appeared to be. We saw in "The Guru" that Aang's love for Katara is, in effect, the reincarnation for his love for his entire people. Katara has effectively become Aang's entire people, his world. He has said it several times; "I'm doing this for you Katara". It's a deep spiritual love, that is perfectly demonstrated in moments like "The Desert", "The Avatar State", and "The Serpent's Pass". If there is any "lust"in the equation, it is not the main part of the formula. Likewise, for Katara, Aang is the embodiment of hope, the basis of Katara's courage to fight for what she believes in (which Aang represents). Do you see where I'm coming from?

And you too, are great to debate with. I have nothing against Zutara, I simply feel that if it happened, it might be based off of an understanding for eachother, but that understanding, for me, cannot compare with the deeply spiritual love that Aang and Katara have developed for eachother.

So I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you. Katara and Zuko might have achieved enough of an understanding to have a firm and steady relationship, but it is Aang and Katara who developed true, undying love.

Sorry if that was a bit confusing. At the moment I'm trying to rally a bunch of very put out people to petition the mods for allowing new character fan clubs to be formed.

thanks. do ur best at rallying!

okay, im NOT saying that they DON'T luv each other. im saying that aang doesn't luv her in the purest way. i said that if he let go of his attachment to her, then their relationship would be entirely based off of PURE luv. but that didn't happen. aang didn't let go. his attachment is still there chaining him up. now let's say he did let that go, they should have mentioned so. it wasn't good for bryke to not say that he let it go. if aang did let go, it would be a great ship, but he didn't! i have to keep mentioning this. he DID NOT LET GO! zutara is based off of understanding. aang lusts for katara, but katara doesn't. mai lusts for zuko, but zuko wants more than just making out. zuko and katara want the same out of a relationship, and they can find it with each other.

Axrendale

[3573]Aug 19, 2008
    jenwenluvzutara wrote:
    Axrendale wrote:

jenwenluvzutara wrote:

okay, im NOT saying that they DON'T luv each other. im saying that aang doesn't luv her in the purest way. i said that if he let go of his attachment to her, then their relationship would be entirely based off of PURE luv. but that didn't happen. aang didn't let go. his attachment is still there chaining him up. now let's say he did let that go, they should have mentioned so. it wasn't good for bryke to not say that he let it go. if aang did let go, it would be a great ship, but he didn't! i have to keep mentioning this. he DID NOT LET GO! zutara is based off of understanding. aang lusts for katara, but katara doesn't. mai lusts for zuko, but zuko wants more than just making out. zuko and katara want the same out of a relationship, and they can find it with each other.

Aang did let go of Katara. He did so in the final battle in CoD, and that was how he was able to enter the Avatar State. The trouble is that many people here assumed that when Azula struck Aang down, his "letting go of attachment" was reversed. It wasn't. Aang had already opened the chakra - he just needed to get all the residue lightning out of the wound.

jenwenluvzutara

[3574]Aug 19, 2008
    Axrendale wrote:
    jenwenluvzutara wrote:
    Axrendale wrote:

jenwenluvzutara wrote:

Aang did let go of Katara. He did so in the final battle in CoD, and that was how he was able to enter the Avatar State. The trouble is that many people here assumed that when Azula struck Aang down, his "letting go of attachment" was reversed. It wasn't. Aang had already opened the chakra - he just needed to get all the residue lightning out of the wound.

so then why did aang say in EIP, "if i didn't block my chakra in ba sing se, id probably be in the avatar state by now"?

Axrendale

[3575]Aug 19, 2008
    jenwenluvzutara wrote:
    Axrendale wrote:
    jenwenluvzutara wrote:
    Axrendale wrote:

jenwenluvzutara wrote:

so then why did aang say in EIP, "if i didn't block my chakra in ba sing se, id probably be in the avatar state by now"?

He actually just said "If I hadn't blocked my Chakra, I'd be in the Avatar State now". He was (IMO) lamenting the fact that he hadn't figured out earlier that giving up his attachment didn't mean he had to stop loving Katara, and as a result waited until the middle of the fight with Azula and Zuko to unblock it, and as a result got shot full of lightning. If he had won the fight, then obviously Azula would never have shot him with lightning, and so Aang's Chakra wouldn't have been locked, and he would be able to go into the Avatar State to fight Ozai.

What is my reasoning for this? Simple: it is the best explanation that fits the facts. Other definitons of the workings of the chakras and attachment don't allow Aang to go into the Avatar State in the finale after twisting his wound in the right way.

ThisCrazyGuy

[3576]Aug 20, 2008
    • level: 8
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:

I think Kataang is the most realistic and believable. Zutara may look good, but to be perfectly honest, it would never happen. Katara may have forgave him so much that they could become a good team, and good friends, but Katara would never want to have a romatic relationship with him, and quite frankly I think Zuko wouldn't have it any other way... There is way to much bad blood between them two as people for that to happen... Think back to the scary and real death threat Katara gave Zuko when he joined the group, and how she resented him while he was beginning to settle into the gaang, there is way to much bad history. They are like, polar opposites too, their personalities clash greatly and they are almost COMPLETELY different... Katara is caring, sweet, motherly and takes control of bad situations... Zuko's not the kind of guy who (romantically) would warm to that... That is why he ended up with Mai. It's hard to describe, but in my opinion they aren't a good match... Besides, the Hero/Main Character (Aang) ALWAYS gets the girl... I knew from the beginning (when Aang awoke from the iceberg and looked into Katara's eyes) they would end up together... Zuko is fine with Mai.

I still stand by this decision lol ...

Axrendale

[3577]Aug 20, 2008
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:

I think Kataang is the most realistic and believable. Zutara may look good, but to be perfectly honest, it would never happen. Katara may have forgave him so much that they could become a good team, and good friends, but Katara would never want to have a romatic relationship with him, and quite frankly I think Zuko wouldn't have it any other way... There is way to much bad blood between them two as people for that to happen... Think back to the scary and real death threat Katara gave Zuko when he joined the group, and how she resented him while he was beginning to settle into the gaang, there is way to much bad history. They are like, polar opposites too, their personalities clash greatly and they are almost COMPLETELY different... Katara is caring, sweet, motherly and takes control of bad situations... Zuko's not the kind of guy who (romantically) would warm to that... That is why he ended up with Mai. It's hard to describe, but in my opinion they aren't a good match... Besides, the Hero/Main Character (Aang) ALWAYS gets the girl... I knew from the beginning (when Aang awoke from the iceberg and looked into Katara's eyes) they would end up together... Zuko is fine with Mai.

Bryke apparently agreed with you

ThisCrazyGuy

[3578]Aug 20, 2008
    • level: 8
    Axrendale wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:

Bryke apparently agreed with you

IrohtheTea

[3579]Aug 20, 2008

i dont like any of the realationships that happened in avatar for some reason.

Dragongirl600

[3580]Aug 21, 2008
    What I really loved, is how hours before the finale, Zutarians posted and posted....and posted, about how if everyone just wished hard enough...Zutara would happen.

Regardless of the fact the movie was finished like a year ago...if they wished hard enough for the next few hours, they could change the world, and make Zutara happen.

Loved it