We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Magma/Lavabending! What element is it, or SHOULD it be a part of? Fire or Earth?

Fire

Jackson5050

[61]Sep 30, 2008
    • level: 12
    MarryLarry wrote:

Why is the concept so hard to grasp?

Earth and rock. Squares and rectangles. Arabs and Muslims. Houses and skyscrapers. Circles and ellipses. Asians and chinese. Russians and Soviets.

All similar but have completely different definitions. Earth is solid. Lava is not. Ergo lava =/= earth. Any geologist or lab scientist would agree with me.

They are different as I pointed out. Soil is a mixture of broken rock particles and decaying organic matter. Magma is molten igneous rock. This should not, however, prohibit an earthbender from bending both.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MarryLarry

[62]Sep 30, 2008
    • level: 11
    Jackson5050 wrote:
    MarryLarry wrote:

Why is the concept so hard to grasp?

Earth and rock. Squares and rectangles. Arabs and Muslims. Houses and skyscrapers. Circles and ellipses. Asians and chinese. Russians and Soviets.

All similar but have completely different definitions. Earth is solid. Lava is not. Ergo lava =/= earth. Any geologist or lab scientist would agree with me.

They are different as I pointed out. Soil is a mixture of broken rock particles and decaying organic matter. Magma is molten igneous rock. This should not, however, prohibit an earthbender from bending both.

Soil is solid. Coal is solid. The dirt particles in mud are solid. And since some of you don't seem to know what the definition of earth is, here's a link.

If they were called rockbenders, then I would agree that they could bend lava. But they're called earthbenders. If it ain't solid, it ain't earth. Fact.

solid rock =/= liquid rock

I've repeated myself more times than an echo. If I've failed to convince you, then I have nothing more to say.

IrohtheTea

[63]Sep 30, 2008
    • level: 6

WHO CARES?

you saw firebenders bending it.

THEN IT IS FIRE.

Jackson5050

[64]Sep 30, 2008
    I think the principle factor that allows earthbenders to bend soil (earth) is the broken rock particles it contains. We can see this when they bend sand and other materials. Remember, coal is simply a sedimentary rock. All the benders are bending is silicate materials. Since silicates compose 90% of the earth's crust, I think it is a safe assumption that earthbending is synonymous with silicate bending. Since magma is nothing more than molten silicate rocks, it would make sense that an earthbender could bend magma. The state of the matter should not matter. Waterbenders can bend water whether it is in a solid, liquid or gaseous state. The same rule should apply to earthbenders being able to bend silicate minerals whether they are in a solid or liquid state.

isabelwhatx

[65]Sep 30, 2008
    • level: 14

You can say the same thing about waterbenders, though. Katara can bend ice, can she not? But it's not a liquid, so it's not considered water, yet she can bend it. Katara should only be able to bend liquids, yet she can bend solids. So why can't it be vice versa for EBers?

ThisCrazyGuy

[66]Sep 30, 2008
    • level: 8
    IrohtheTea wrote:

WHO CARES?

THEN IT IS FIRE.

THIS IS A DEBATE ON WHAT PEOPLE THINK IT SHOULD BE A PART OF...

No one said you had to come here...

Edited on 09/30/2008 9:29pm
    Edited 2 total times.

isabelwhatx

[67]Sep 30, 2008
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    IrohtheTea wrote:

WHO CARES?

THEN IT IS FIRE.

THIS IS A DEBATE ON WHAT PEOPLE THINK IT SHOULD BE A PART OF...

No one said you had to come here...

Hey, chill. He was just too lazy to read the other posts. It's no big deal. We're all guilty of it. It was an honest mistake.

ThisCrazyGuy

[68]Sep 30, 2008
    Fair enough, but I find it quite dis-respectful when people come into a perfectly good topic/thread, and act as if no one is supposed to care...

isabelwhatx

[69]Sep 30, 2008
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    Fair enough, but I find it quite dis-respectful when people come into a perfectly good topic/thread, and act as if no one is supposed to care...

Then ignore it and act like the bigger person Try to avoid conflict. The mods will tackle you to the ground Just ignore it and move on. It'll help loads, I promise.

shadowysea07

[70]Sep 30, 2008
    • level: 25
    yeah the people in the naruto forums ignore it except for their squad of flamers o:

ThisCrazyGuy

[71]Sep 30, 2008
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:

Then ignore it and act like the bigger person Try to avoid conflict. The mods will tackle you to the ground Just ignore it and move on. It'll help loads, I promise.
    Thank you.

ThisCrazyGuy

[72]Sep 30, 2008
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:

LOL

isabelwhatx

[73]Sep 30, 2008
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:

Thank you.

'Tis what I'm here for. ISABEL MAKES PEACE FROEVAH!

ThisCrazyGuy

[74]Sep 30, 2008
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:

Thank you.

'Tis what I'm here for. ISABEL MAKES PEACE FROEVAH!
    LOL

ThisCrazyGuy

[75]Sep 30, 2008

Well, now that we know Magma/Lavabending SHOULD be Earthbending, I'm going to ask a simple little question (I'm bored ).

What do you (isabel) honestly like better... The TV.com ATLA Forums/Threads/Discussions or The ATLA Topics/Threads/Dicussions on "The Refuge"?

Be COMPLETELY honest.

Edited on 09/30/2008 10:51pm
    Edited 2 total times.

ThisCrazyGuy

[76]Sep 30, 2008

Basically, HERE, or THE REFUGE.

isabelwhatx

[77]Oct 1, 2008
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:

Well, now that we know Magma/Lavabending SHOULD be Earthbending, I'm going to ask a simple little question (I'm bored ).

What do you (isabel) honestly like better... The TV.com ATLA Forums/Threads/Discussions or The ATLA Topics/Threads/Dicussions on "The Refuge"?

Be COMPLETELY honest.

Well, number one, I think MarryLarry will fight us to the death on the EBing is lava/magma thing, so I don't think we should close the fight just yet.

And the discussions on here are infinitely better. However, the off topic boards on the Refuge pwn this place. That's why I like to have a healthy dose of both

MarryLarry

[78]Oct 1, 2008
    • level: 11
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:

now we know Magma/Lavabending SHOULD be Earthbending.

Who's under this 'we' category you speak of?

As for waterbenders bending water in all 3 phases, it's pretty obvious. Water is a specific substance. It's molecular formula is H2O no matter if it's a gas, liquid, or solid. Earth on the other hand is no specific substance. And once again you seem to be falsely assuming earth has multiple phases like a single molecule, but in order to be earth it must be _____. Can you guess what's supposed to be in the blank class? If you guessed liquid or gas, you phail.

If they were called rockbenders, then they'd be able to bend rock in a solid or liquid form because the definition of a rock is a solid or liquid material made of minerals. It's crucial that you guys understand the difference between minerals, rocks, and earth. They are NOT synonyms.

If we go by the logic that earthbenders should be able to bend any rock regardless of phase, then the same should be said for airbenders being able to bend the atoms in the air reguardless of phase. Oxygen and nitrogen can be made into solids and liquids but we never see that happen.

That's because in order to be air, a substance must be a gas.

Just like in order to be earth, a substance must be solid and made of minerals.

In order to be water, a substance must be composed of H2O.

Fire in purest form is heat. So anything that generates it's own heat would fall under firebending. I'd be willing to bet an uber duber fire master could do their own version of bloodbending by controlling the heat inside someone else's body and cook them like a microwave. Sadly, I'll never see that happen.

isabelwhatx

[79]Oct 1, 2008
    I know where you're coming from, but I don't agree that firebending should be able to control lava/magma. Although EBing doesn't completely fit the mold, I don't think FBing comes even close.

Jackson5050

[80]Oct 1, 2008
    Maybe the airbenders never used liquid nitrogen or liquid oxygen because they are both cryogenic in nature and must be handled carefully. Using an attack that would directly harm people and nature would be antithetical to their values. Bending liquid nitrogen and oxygen would be the true cold fire as a burn from either of those two substances is painful and potentially deadly. Also, there was something else I was working on that is somewhat related to this discussion. I believe there is some overlap between the bending elements. We know that waterbenders can bend water vapor, but airbenders also are able to bend water vapor as it constitutes 1-4% of the troposphere. This could allow for both earthbenders and airbenders to bend magma.