We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Magma/Lavabending! What element is it, or SHOULD it be a part of? Fire or Earth?

Fire

ThisCrazyGuy

[41]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 8
    Sektos wrote:
    Now also earth benders (generally- BUMI is exception from what i remember) need to touch the ground in order to bend- as such prehaps they cant bend lava/magma because of the fact it is too hot for them to touch, and thus cant feel the lava.
    So which element do you think it should be a part of?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Hiei1314

[42]Sep 28, 2008

isabelwhatx wrote:
    But it shouldn't be that way.

I agree. Lava/magma is really just molten rock, so lava/magma-bending should go to the Earthbenders. I mean, if water's boiling, can firebenders bend it? Nope. If sand is hot, can firbenders bend it? Nope. If it's a hot day, could firebenders airbend? Nope. Well, to me it seems like Bryke decided, "It's hot and can set things on fire, so it's for Firebending!" But it's wrong! Oh so wrong

isabelwhatx

[43]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 14
    Ratraccoon wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    MarryLarry wrote:

When I said firebenders control heat energies, I should have said they control heat sources, meaning things that generate heat. Tea, as someone mentioned, does not make its own heat.

Also lava, though composed of melted rock, is NOT earth. Earth (not the planet Earth) by definition is solid and synonymous with ground.

Magma does not make its own heat. Friction makes the heat. Magma is simply just the host, just like the tea.

And melted rock IS earth, because rock is a form of earth. Melting something is a physical change, not a chemical change. The rock does not become something different once it is heated up, it simply looks different. Also, if you say that earth has to be solid, than how could Toph bend the water coming out of the drill in The Drill? (ROFL)

But mud is a solution (a mixture of solids in liquid) and not an actual liquid. In fact I think that when Toph bends mud it has a thicker texture than the mud that Katara bends.

It is most definitely a liquid. It fits the description of a liquid. It can change its shape depending on its container.

isabelwhatx

[44]Sep 28, 2008
    Hiei1314 wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:
    But it shouldn't be that way.

I agree. Lava/magma is really just molten rock, so lava/magma-bending should go to the Earthbenders. I mean, if water's boiling, can firebenders bend it? Nope. If sand is hot, can firbenders bend it? Nope. If it's a hot day, could firebenders airbend? Nope. Well, to me it seems like Bryke decided, "It's hot and can set things on fire, so it's for Firebending!" But it's wrong! Oh so wrong

THIS! THIS THIS THIS!

Ratraccoon

[45]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 5
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    Ratraccoon wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    MarryLarry wrote:

When I said firebenders control heat energies, I should have said they control heat sources, meaning things that generate heat. Tea, as someone mentioned, does not make its own heat.

Also lava, though composed of melted rock, is NOT earth. Earth (not the planet Earth) by definition is solid and synonymous with ground.

Magma does not make its own heat. Friction makes the heat. Magma is simply just the host, just like the tea.

And melted rock IS earth, because rock is a form of earth. Melting something is a physical change, not a chemical change. The rock does not become something different once it is heated up, it simply looks different. Also, if you say that earth has to be solid, than how could Toph bend the water coming out of the drill in The Drill? (ROFL)

But mud is a solution (a mixture of solids in liquid) and not an actual liquid. In fact I think that when Toph bends mud it has a thicker texture than the mud that Katara bends.

It is most definitely a liquid. It fits the description of a liquid. It can change its shape depending on its container.

Um have you ever taken either middle or high school chemistry before? Then maybe you should look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solution sorry I don't know what the html code is for a direct link. You are clearly thinking of a mud puddle where the mud mostly consists of water (some mud can be mostly dirt with a little bit of water in it). The solid dirt has completely mixed with the water at the molecular level but if left alone long enough the dirt will eventually settle to the bottom. Why else would some liquid food (juice) or medicines require shaking?

ThisCrazyGuy

[46]Sep 28, 2008

I must admit, I don't really like the idea of Firebending getting magma/lava... It doesn't really fit them, or their style... I always used to love the fact that Fire got Lavabending, but now, it just seems unfair...

This is what I think should be under Earthbending:

Rock, stone, mud, dirt, sand, clay, glass, crystals (and gems), metal (ALL metal) and magma/lava... That seems fair.

Even though Fire is still (in my opinion) the MUCH, MUCH better element, I think things would be better fitted that way... And Fire could get some new techniques aswell.

MarryLarry

[47]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 11
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    Ratraccoon wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    MarryLarry wrote:

Magma does not make its own heat. Friction makes the heat. Magma is simply just the host, just like the tea. And melted rock IS earth, because rock is a form of earth. Melting something is a physical change, not a chemical change. The rock does not become something different once it is heated up, it simply looks different. Also, if you say that earth has to be solid, than how could Toph bend the water coming out of the drill in The Drill? (ROFL)

This is getting tiresome. You really need to stop sleeping through science class, that way you wouldn't have to make your arguments up, no offense. Mud is a mixture. Meaning you mix something with something else. They appear to become one substance but their individual molecules remain separate. Meaning you have solid dirt within water and water within dirt. Need a further explanation? Ask your 3rd grade teacher.

Secondly, friction has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with magma. And as I stated earlier, magma/lava is not earth. Allow me to use a simple analogy to help explain this to those who are having a hard time, though it won't do you much good if you slept through geometry, too. Think of the relationship between rock and earth like squares and rectangles; both are closely related yet distinctly different by definition.

Don't know what I'm talking about? Then come back when you get a high school diploma. At least then you'll know what you're talking about.

ROFLMAO SUXXORZ (see how annoying it is to read that)

isabelwhatx

[48]Sep 28, 2008
    My bad on the liquid/mixture thing. I just started taking chemistry this year.

ThisCrazyGuy

[49]Sep 28, 2008
    Um, MarryLarry, scientifically speaking, is magma/lava part of the Earth element or not? I am now confused... Because if it isn't, then I don't know what element it should be a part of...

Sektos

[50]Sep 29, 2008
    • level: 10
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    Sektos wrote:
    Now also earth benders (generally- BUMI is exception from what i remember) need to touch the ground in order to bend- as such prehaps they cant bend lava/magma because of the fact it is too hot for them to touch, and thus cant feel the lava.
    So which element do you think it should be a part of?

Def fire- not only because going from "mythological" stand point its like liquid fire, and been shown to be bent by firebenders before (and ZUko in CHibi shorts lol- funnily i imagined him doing lava-dragon b4 short), but the fact that firebenders bend energy just seems to comfortable fit with it

MCMLXVI

[51]Sep 29, 2008
    • level: 19
    Probably only avatars can bend magma and lava. Normal firebenders can draw heat from them, but that's probably it. Normal earthbenders could probably disrupt the flow, but there were no normal earthbenders shown bending magma or lava.

ThisCrazyGuy

[52]Sep 29, 2008
    I'm still really confused about Magma/Lava not being a part of Earth... It fits Fire more, but I'm just not sure...

ThisCrazyGuy

[53]Sep 29, 2008
    Again, I will ask what element you guys THINK IT SHOULD be a part of, and why?

isabelwhatx

[54]Sep 29, 2008
    isabelwhatx wrote:

Scientifically, magma/lava is molten EARTH, therefore it should fall under earth's category. Fire can take away the heat, but it can't control the actual host of the heat.

If we go by the logic that since the magma is hot FBers can control it, can't they control any hot thing? Like tea or hot chocolate? That doesn't make sense, either.

That's my stance, basically.

Sektos

[55]Sep 29, 2008
    • level: 10
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    Again, I will ask what element you guys THINK IT SHOULD be a part of, and why?

Yoh

ThisCrazyGuy wrote: So which element do you think it should be a part of?

Sektos wrote: Def fire- not only because going from "mythological" stand point its like liquid fire, and been shown to be bent by firebenders before (and ZUko in CHibi shorts lol- funnily i imagined him doing lava-dragon b4 short), but the fact that firebenders bend energy just seems to comfortable fit with it

ThisCrazyGuy

[56]Sep 30, 2008

I meant other people...

I might just re-create this thread on the Refuge...

MarryLarry

[57]Sep 30, 2008

http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/earth

I don't see molten rock listed as a synonym.

Jackson5050

[58]Sep 30, 2008
    • level: 12
    Earthbenders should most definitely be able to bend magma. Magma is molten igneous rock. Considering approximately 95% of the earth's crust is composed of igneous rock, I would imagine earthbenders can bend igneous rock. If not, that means they are incapable of bending such common rock types as granite, basalt and obsidian and I highly doubt they would be prohibited from bending those types of rock. If I may clarify what isabel was saying, I believe she confused a liquid and a fluid. It is a common mistake. Mud is most definitely a fluid. Mud is a mixture of water and a rocky substance. These substances could include clay and soil. That is why an earthbender would be able to bend mud. The differentiation between earth and rock is silly. Soil is broken down rock particles with decaying organic matter.

MarryLarry

[59]Sep 30, 2008

Why is the concept so hard to grasp?

Earth and rock. Squares and rectangles. Arabs and Muslims. Houses and skyscrapers. Circles and ellipses. Asians and chinese. Russians and Soviets.

All similar but have completely different definitions. Earth is solid. Lava is not. Ergo lava =/= earth. Any geologist or lab scientist would agree with me.

ThisCrazyGuy

[60]Sep 30, 2008

Yeah, you guys are right, Magma/Lava SHOULD be Earth... Maybe they will change it in the movies... The only physical similarity between Fire and Molten Rock, is that they are both hot things...

Scientifically speaking, the Earth element is rock, stone, soil, dirt, mud, sand, metal, and magma/lava. There are a few other rock-like things that I could name , but going by pure science and facts (And most of the world's beliefs), that is what the Earth element is made up of...

I actually have LOADS of ideas for other things to be apart of Firebending.