We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Magma/Lavabending! What element is it, or SHOULD it be a part of? Fire or Earth?

Fire

4nationfury

[21]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 16
    This is a tricky one. Maybe its something that can be controlled by both Earth and Fire. Think about when Katara was bending the sludge in the Drill. It was made of earth and water. Toph was also able to control it. It could in theory be the same with bending magma.
    Edited on 09/27/2008 8:22am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ThisCrazyGuy

[22]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 8
    I am honestly stuck between the two... A lot of people have been saying it should be Earthbending, and I'm simply confused...

gilvatar

[23]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 17
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    MarryLarry wrote:
    Fire and lightning are ionized gases. Guess they should fall under air then, huh?

Good point.
    Well water is 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen. Should that fall under air too?

tvcrazy12

[24]Sep 27, 2008

i go w/ firebending simply cause a firebending avatar bent it in the avatar state episode

but 4nationfury makes a good point

4nationfury

[25]Sep 27, 2008

Wow. Good to see you on TVCrazy12.

Now I think it would be interesting if earthbenders could do it. But I know for a fact that firebenders can though. Check out the link.

http://dvdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/201/906.jpg

Some may argue that because he's an Avatar he is just earthbending. But if you watch The Avatar State, it shows each nations' Avatar bending their native element. Thus this is Firebending.

Edited on 09/27/2008 10:36am

ThisCrazyGuy

[26]Sep 27, 2008
    Okay, so we have all established that Magma/Lava-Bending is Fire. But what do you all think it should be a part of, and why?

isabelwhatx

[27]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 14
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:

I guess it's Firebending...

Scientifically, what do you guys think it should be a part of?

Scientifically, magma/lava is molten EARTH, therefore it should fall under earth's category. Fire can take away the heat, but it can't control the actual host of the heat.

If we go by the logic that since the magma is hot FBers can control it, can't they control any hot thing? Like tea or hot chocolate? That doesn't make sense, either.

isabelwhatx

[28]Sep 27, 2008
    gilvatar wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    MarryLarry wrote:
    Fire and lightning are ionized gases. Guess they should fall under air then, huh?

Good point.
    Well water is 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen. Should that fall under air too?

Oxygen doesn't necessarily mean air. Air is a combination of the things found in our atmosphere, one of which is oxygen. Oxygen is not the only element in our atmosphere.

ThisCrazyGuy

[29]Sep 27, 2008
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:

I guess it's Firebending...

Scientifically, what do you guys think it should be a part of?

Scientifically, magma/lava is molten EARTH, therefore it should fall under earth's category. Fire can take away the heat, but it can't control the actual host of the heat.

If we go by the logic that since the magma is hot FBers can control it, can't they control any hot thing? Like tea or hot chocolate? That doesn't make sense, either.
    This is a really good point. Anyone care to argue that Firebending DOES deserve Magma/Lava?

MarryLarry

[30]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 11

When I said firebenders control heat energies, I should have said they control heat sources, meaning things that generate heat. Tea, as someone mentioned, does not make its own heat.

Also lava, though composed of melted rock, is NOT earth. Earth (not the planet Earth) by definition is solid and synonymous with ground.

ThisCrazyGuy

[31]Sep 27, 2008
    Wait, so scientifically speaking, Magma/Lava isn't technically Earth? You know way more than I do MarryLarry!

FireLordZuko93

[32]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 12
    4nationfury wrote:

Now I think it would be interesting if earthbenders could do it. But I know for a fact that firebenders can though. Check out the link.

Some may argue that because he's an Avatar he is just earthbending. But if you watch The Avatar State, it shows each nations' Avatar bending their native element. Thus this is Firebending.

I had that pic and many others similar on the first page

Ratraccoon

[33]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 5
    I think it's a combination of earth and firebeinding; so far we have only seen 2 avatars do this. This avatar's first move resembles earthbending.

While his next move resembles a cross between Sozin's heat redirection technique (which already resembles waterbening) and waterbending.

It is interesting to note that Sozin was the most powerful non-avatar firebender that got close enough to lava to bend it; yet even he couldn't do it.

Damn you chibi Zuko for throwing off my theory!

4nationfury

[34]Sep 27, 2008
    FireLordZuko93 wrote:
    4nationfury wrote:

I had that pic and many others similar on the first page
    That's nice, I can't see it. I'm not the only one using it either.

isabelwhatx

[35]Sep 27, 2008
    MarryLarry wrote:

When I said firebenders control heat energies, I should have said they control heat sources, meaning things that generate heat. Tea, as someone mentioned, does not make its own heat.

Also lava, though composed of melted rock, is NOT earth. Earth (not the planet Earth) by definition is solid and synonymous with ground.

Magma does not make its own heat. Friction makes the heat. Magma is simply just the host, just like the tea.

And melted rock IS earth, because rock is a form of earth. Melting something is a physical change, not a chemical change. The rock does not become something different once it is heated up, it simply looks different. Also, if you say that earth has to be solid, than how could Toph bend the water coming out of the drill in The Drill? (ROFL)

Ratraccoon

[36]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 5
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    MarryLarry wrote:

Magma does not make its own heat. Friction makes the heat. Magma is simply just the host, just like the tea.

And melted rock IS earth, because rock is a form of earth. Melting something is a physical change, not a chemical change. The rock does not become something different once it is heated up, it simply looks different. Also, if you say that earth has to be solid, than how could Toph bend the water coming out of the drill in The Drill? (ROFL)

But mud is a solution (a mixture of solids in liquid) and not an actual liquid. In fact I think that when Toph bends mud it has a thicker texture than the mud that Katara bends.

ThisCrazyGuy

[37]Sep 28, 2008
    This is a really good debate guys! Could you guys try and pick one element for it to be a part of? That just makes it more challenging and interesting.

ThisCrazyGuy

[38]Sep 28, 2008
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    This is a really good debate guys! Could you guys try and pick one element for it to be a part of? That just makes it more challenging and interesting.
    And regardless of what it is in the show, can you guys name what you think it SHOULD be a part of?

Sektos

[39]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 10
    Haha i dont think we can really bring science into this CrazyGUy. BUT OKAY Now reeeeaaalll question is WHAT does EB bend??? they've shown themselves to move rocks, soil and sand- so does that mean they can move all the elements within these substances? If so shouldnt they be able to bend people seeing as we have some of the same elements?

Sektos

[40]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 10
    Now also earth benders (generally- BUMI is exception from what i remember) need to touch the ground in order to bend- as such prehaps they cant bend lava/magma because of the fact it is too hot for them to touch, and thus cant feel the lava.