We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Full Moon waterbending vs Sozin's Comet firebending.

Who would win?

suss2it

[41]Jul 22, 2008
    • level: 14

suss2it wrote:
    Well basically bloodbending is useless seeing as though it can only come out on a full moon, but Sozin's Comet wasn't out with the Moon. True anyone can learn bloodbending, but everyone isn't aware of it, everyone isn't aware that they can even bend plants with water. A part of the reason why Katara was able to learn bloodbending so quick was because it's the same as plantbending, and aside from the Swamp guys no other waterbenders knows of that technique.

the first thread message said...."if it was a full moon during SC"

anyways....what i meant was controlling.....freezing someone isnt controlling....i mean like controlling actions.....freezing you in ice isnt forcing you to do anything!!!!

The Moon is only visible when the Earth moves away from the sun, and so if the Comet came a full moon wouldn't make much of a difference, since it would be just like day time.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MauricXe

[42]Jul 22, 2008
    • level: 2
    suss2it wrote:
    MauricXe wrote:
    Katara will bloodbend against the Fire Nation during the comet and against Ozai on any given day. She did agaisnt that man she believed was her mother's killer. Don't uderestimate her.

And the size of his muscles has nothing to do with it. His blood flows throughout his body, including his muscles. She can control every part of his body. The people she has blood bended are only allowed to do what she wants them to do.

More muscles = more blood = more blood to bend. And Katara can't bend on any day, only on a full moon. And if his head is free from control,hecan firebend with his mouth.

And when you say bloodbend against the fire nation, she can only control so many soldiers, and Ozai always has his imperial fire soldiers with him.

You saying more muscles = more blood = more blood to bend only strengthens my argument.

When it comes to it only being on a full moon, well that's the subject of the topic

Last time I checked, blood flows through our heads...

When I say bloodbend against the fire nation, I mean she has no hesitation in using it to save the world. She does not like the art, but she used it against that man who she believed to of killed her mother. I have no doubt she would use it against Ozai and any of the Fire Nation soldiers durng the comet.

Falcondude123

[43]Jul 22, 2008
    • level: 10
    MauricXe wrote:
    suss2it wrote:
    MauricXe wrote:
    Katara will bloodbend against the Fire Nation during the comet and against Ozai on any given day. She did agaisnt that man she believed was her mother's killer. Don't uderestimate her.

And the size of his muscles has nothing to do with it. His blood flows throughout his body, including his muscles. She can control every part of his body. The people she has blood bended are only allowed to do what she wants them to do.

More muscles = more blood = more blood to bend. And Katara can't bend on any day, only on a full moon. And if his head is free from control,hecan firebend with his mouth.

And when you say bloodbend against the fire nation, she can only control so many soldiers, and Ozai always has his imperial fire soldiers with him.

You saying more muscles = more blood = more blood to bend only strengthens my argument.

When it comes to it only being on a full moon, well that's the subject of the topic

Last time I checked, blood flows through our heads...

When I say bloodbend against the fire nation, I mean she has no hesitation in using it to save the world. She does not like the art, but she used it against that man who she believed to of killed her mother. I have no doubt she would use it against Ozai and any of the Fire Nation soldiers durng the comet.

Yeah, not to mention that she could probably teach the technique to other aspiring water masters!

Still, back to subject, I think the sheer power that a comet creates for firebenders wud be too overwhelming for the puny watertribes.

Murraymuzz

[44]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 10
    Ozai would smash Katara even if she ahd a full moon, all he has gotta do is keep his distance and lightning her until shes dead.

Undead_Prince

[45]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 3

fergie1616 wrote:
    Bloodbending has the potential to be WAY more deadly then Sozin's Comet but since this show is on a kid's network we can never see what it can really do. If bloodbending is really controlling the water inside one's body then a waterbender could essentially make that freeze or boil right there, causing an instant and gruesome death. With this power there is no reason why a single waterbender couldn't wipe out a 100 firebenders in minutes.

Hear hear. The bloodbender needs only a split second to start controlling the opponent's body. Whereas even under the Comet, a firebender either needs time to charge up lightning, or he can throw relatively slow-moving fireballs that can be avoided. Therefore, in a 1-on-1 Agni Kai-style duel, the bloodbender would win hands down. Blink of an eye - and the firebender's paralysed. Another blink - and all water in his body is turned to ice, killing him instantly. There are some things that speak for the firebender, though. He can fly, and attack from a great distance with lightning. If he could manage to evade the bloodbender's focus and stealthily fire a lightning bolt, he could win.

But under strict Agni Kai conditions - bloodbender wins.

In fact, I would love to see bloodbending used to its full potential by some evil waterbender like Hama. Yeah, it's only once a month, but it's so strong you can kill any number of people during this night, and a small team of bloodbenders could march up to a royal palace and kill the king with all his court & honor guards. It could also be made very graphic/torturous (evaporating water from body is a good example, those in the know might remember the "Abi-Dhalzim's Horrid Wilting" necromancy spell). So yeah, bloodbending rules.

P.S. Ever occured to you that bloodbending... once-a-month... both bloodbenders are female... and are really pissed whenever they use it... so uh, you know... can't believe it's unintentional 8=))

Edited on 07/23/2008 4:39am

MarryLarry

[46]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 11

A bloodbender kill 100 soldiers at once? I don't think so my good sir. There's a limit on the # of people one can bend otherwise Hama would have just imprisoned every villager in one night. Not to mention benders have limitations not just on the amount they can bend but also distance. Otherwise they could shoot rocks or fireballs 100s of miles away.

And whoever said Firebender's shot slow and easy to avoid fire must not have watched the same finale as me. I saw HUGE streams of flame 100s of feet long that would be impossible to dodge. Your only hope would be to block it, and that would only work if you were a Firebender.

So in short, all a Firebender would need to do is stay out of a Waterbender's bending radius and shoot a building-sized burning ball of doom and the end.

paoros16

[47]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 16
    I would think firebending with Sozins comet but Katara did defeat Azula with water bending even thought Azula was going nuts during the comet.

Undead_Prince

[48]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 3
    MarryLarry wrote:

So in short, all a Firebender would need to do is stay out of a Waterbender's bending radius and shoot a building-sized burning ball of doom and the end.

You might have noticed I said "under strict Agni Kai conditions". That means the firebender would instantly be within the bloodbender's sight and in effective area of her power. And it seems to me that bloodbending works faster than any form of firebending (I could be mistaking in this though, away from videos ATM), which would immediately seal the firebender's fate.

Now, if the firebender could start way far away, he could use the range and flight advantages to attempt to strike down the bloodbender while out of her attack range. Then he'd have a chance. NOT in an Agni Kai though.

Besides, we don't know the real limits of bloodbending power. It's not impossible that its full range is no less than the firebenders' range under the Comet. Also, you don't really have to aim the bloodbending, at least it seems to be much easier than hitting someone with lightning or a fireball. Note that no one seemed to be able to evade bloodbending, so basically, it's an "I see you = you're dead" sort of power.

MarryLarry wrote:

I saw HUGE streams of flame 100s of feet long that would be impossible to dodge. Your only hope would be to block it, and that would only work if you were a Firebender.

Wrong, you could also block it with ANY other form of bending. In particular, a waterbender could siphon water out of surrounding plants, soil, living creatures whatever (and whoa if it was raining or a water reservoir nearby). In fact, during the finale we see the South Pole waterbending master (watshisname) block numerous firebenders' attacks WITH WATER, UNDER SOZIN'S COMET, and NOT UNDER FULL MOON. So it's not just possible, it's relatively common.

Edited on 07/23/2008 7:24am
    Edited 2 total times.

MarryLarry

[49]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 11

We're talking Bloodbending vs Comet Firebending here. Not Bloodbending + huge amounts of water supplies vs Comet Firebending. Besides you'd need a lot of water to block the fire coming down from those airships. Pakku only blocked a single little fireball and that's it.

Also, did you see the arena Zuko and Azula were fighting in? They were a good football field distance away from each other when they started out. That's quite a ways away. But I guess I don't have any way to prove a Bloodbender's control range...

And I don't know where you're getting this idea it takes Firebenders a long time to charge up. All they need to do is stick their arm out and bam.

But like all battles, they are never clear cut. Just because you can Bloodbend doesn't mean you can beat a Comet Firebender. And just because you have a comet to charge your Firebending doesn't mean you can beat a Bloodbender. It all depends.

toosmooth

[50]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 15
    It is truly difficult to compare the two. Sozin's Comet comes only once every 100 years. A full moon is around like every other week? They are two different styles with two different strengths/weaknesses.

TochiOpara

[51]Jun 13, 2010
    • level: 2

ISpeakTheTruth wrote:
    I don't think its much of a debate. A skilled firebender with the power of the comet is going to beat any one bender... heck a single firebender could probably take out 20 if he/she was at a distance did you see the carnage that a dozen of them could do together? They whipped out an entire forest in a minute. And the power of the Comet was enough to let a skilled Firebender nearly defeat an avatar who knew all four elements (Not counting the Avatar State)

Wow...are you serious? Aang barely knew all the elements. Put Avatar Roku or Kyoshi there and they would have have completely bashed Ozai's head into the ground.

AllieAllie

[52]Jun 13, 2010
    • level: 22

Hey, welcome to the forums. ^_^ Sorry but we don't normally post in threads that are this old, its kind of discouraged here. Next time try to post in threads that were more recently posted in.

yogi_tulsii

[54]Jul 10, 2010
    • level: 6

TochiOpara wrote:
    Gee, thanks for your insight, oh wise and powerful master. I shall try to obey your every command, you stuck up pretentious douchebag. -_-

Stuck up pretentious douchebag? You've known Allie for all of 1 post, and you think you're informed enough about her to make judgments on her? She was just trying to be nice by guiding you around the forum and teaching you the way things work around here. You needn't have gotten so defensive and and be such a bitca about it.

shani_boy101

[56]Aug 1, 2010
    • level: 6

That's not even a close to fair matchup. Waterbending, by default relies on the moon while Firebending relies on the Sun. The reason why firebenders get more powerful during Sozin's comet is because there is an extra source of FIRE for that period. The only thing that could make waterbenders equally as powerful would be if a GIANT asteroid (roughly the size of the moon at least) got caught in the orbit of the Earth for a period of time (gravity slingshot), as the gravity of the asteroid would make the tides much stronger than usual, which would probably give waterbenders the same effect as Sozin's Comet does to firebenders.

WeAreAwesome

[57]Sep 10, 2010
    • level: 4

I voted for "It would be close" but i guess i was just thinking about Katara vs Zuko because they're both really strong benders. Most people said firebending would win, but i still wasn't sure because Katara beat Azula during Sozin's Comet, and even though Azula was pretty off her rocker, katara's waterbending wasn't enhanced, so it kind of evened out.

KingofIPirates

[58]Sep 10, 2010
    • level: 32
    WeAreAwesome wrote:

I voted for "It would be close" but i guess i was just thinking about Katara vs Zuko because they're both really strong benders. Most people said firebending would win, but i still wasn't sure because Katara beat Azula during Sozin's Comet, and even though Azula was pretty off her rocker, katara's waterbending wasn't enhanced, so it kind of evened out.

Katara kind of had Zuko's help.

WeAreAwesome

[59]Sep 18, 2010
    • level: 4

KingofIPirates wrote:
    WeAreAwesome wrote:

Katara kind of had Zuko's help.

That's true, but it's not like they were fighting together at the same time or anything. And Zuko didn't really tire out Azula that much before he saved Katara.

KingofIPirates

[60]Sep 18, 2010
    • level: 32
    WeAreAwesome wrote:
    And Zuko didn't really tire out Azula that much before he saved Katara.
    She still expended energy while in a crazed state meaning she would've been using more energy than usual to accomplish the same tasks as opposed to when your focused and more efficient in your maneuvers.