We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Do you think Prince Zuko was really evil?

Katara0017

[1]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 8

I mean when i saw the first episode i said "Ok good guys: Aang, Katara & Sokka, Bad guys: Prince Zuko"

But seeing more episodes i noticed he's just a trouble and traumaticed (for his scar) boy that get his face burned up, was banished from by his own father (!!!) and is like prisoner of his own obsession (Of capturingt tha Avatar to regain his honor) and he has sense of family for example in the epsode that his Uncle Iroh is capture by Earth Benders he decide to let the Avatar go and save his uncle first then off course the change of heart when he get from the Avatar side

What do you think?

He was really evil and then something changed him or just a trouble guy that decided to regain his honor putting himself side by side with the Avatar?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Axrendale

[2]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 10
    Although some might have had doubts after the first two episodes, "The Southern Air Temple" made it fairly clear that Zuko was an essentially sympathetic character.

Water78

[3]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 47
    Zuko was confused and had an ever battle of Sozin and Roku in his nature. He would eventually learn the ways of the force and become a jedi master and kill Lord Coperloff of the third nebula before he travleded and knocked up mai and katara. Then started a new war against momo

bl0ndi3girl18

[4]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 9
    hmm... thats hard...
    NO!
    He just had a destiny forced upon him, and he was confused and did not know the difference of right from wrong

Axrendale

[5]Sep 4, 2008

I think Zuko definitely had the potential in him to be evil - he came very, very close to being permanently seduced to the Dark Side by Azula in CoD.

But fortunatly, he chose good over evil

MarryLarry

[6]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 11
    This gets into the whole 'moral grey area.' Does committing bad acts make one an evil person, regardless of their reason for committing such atrocities? Or does the reason justify the means?

isabelwhatx

[7]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 14
    Zuko is not, was not, and will never be evil. His actions weren't because he wanted to capture Aang, but because he wanted his father's love back. Zuko was desperate and did whatever he could. Remember, Zuko was still a child when he was banished. He didn't understand what he was told to do. Zuko was simply trying to get back a father's love he never had.

Ratraccoon

[8]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 5
    My troll senses are tingling...

gilvatar

[9]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 17
    Zuko isn't evil. He was desprate, got alittle less desprate (season 2) then became super desprate (sesaon 2 finale) then became "oh crap! What ahve I done" in the beginging of season 3 then fixed it in the end. I never thought Zuko was pure evil. I mean Zuko resisted killing Zhao everytime he openned his mouth.

MarryLarry

[10]Sep 4, 2008

isabelwhatx wrote:
    Zuko is not, was not, and will never be evil. His actions weren't because he wanted to capture Aang, but because he wanted his father's love back. Zuko was desperate and did whatever he could. Remember, Zuko was still a child when he was banished. He didn't understand what he was told to do. Zuko was simply trying to get back a father's love he never had.

That sounds a lot like what street punks say so the jury will sympathize with them and reduce their sentence. "I'm just a product of my environment. Blame my parents!"

Regardless of the reason, he still did bad things. Sure he made up for it, but you shouldn't be making excuses for his previous transgressions.

gilvatar

[11]Sep 4, 2008
    MarryLarry wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:

That sounds a lot like what street punks say so the jury will sympathize with them and reduce their sentence. "I'm just a product of my environment. Blame my parents!"

Regardless of the reason, he still did bad things. Sure he made up for it, but you shouldn't be making excuses for his previous transgressions.

Yeah but their parents didn't take a blow touch to their face. but anyway, I think it's more nature than nurture. Evil's just not his way. He saw how horrific Ozai's plan was but Azula & OZai didn't.

MarryLarry

[12]Sep 4, 2008
    gilvatar wrote:
    MarryLarry wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:

Yeah but their parents didn't take a blow touch to their face.

You sure about that? There are real parents out there that've done far worse.

And I'm not saying the guy's evil. But he has done bad things for selfish reasons. And he made those choices on his own.

yogi_tulsii

[13]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 6
    MarryLarry wrote:
    gilvatar wrote:
    MarryLarry wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:

And I'm not saying the guy's evil. But he has done bad things for selfish reasons. And he made those choices on his own.

You're right about that. There are worse cases out there, and the children learn to live fruitful and great lives. But Zuko also learned to live a fruitful and great life. The children made some mistakes when they were just freed from their parents, but they learnt, just like Zuko. Making mistakes is human nature. Frankly, if I had been in his position I would have done the same thing.

Dafoose

[14]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 19
    Ratraccoon wrote:
    My troll senses are tingling...

Now now ratracoon...Welcome the new people.

Or don't respond in their thread Maybe, XD.

something9

[15]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 9
    yogi_tulsii wrote:
    MarryLarry wrote:
    gilvatar wrote:
    MarryLarry wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:

You're right about that. There are worse cases out there, and the children learn to live fruitful and great lives. But Zuko also learned to live a fruitful and great life. The children made some mistakes when they were just freed from their parents, but they learnt, just like Zuko. Making mistakes is human nature. Frankly, if I had been in his position I would have done the same thing.

I agree. That's why I really like Zuko as a character, because he makes both good and bad choices, but they are very human and some of which I would have also done.

To say he is evil is untrue. The only "evil" character, in my opinion, is Ozai. I wouldn't even call Azula evil, especially after seeing the finale.

ThisCrazyGuy

[16]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 8
    No... He did alot of bad things, and had made some terrible, un-wise choices in his life as a whole, but he was just a messed up, unaccepted, human being... I'm not making excuses for him, he was a terrible person, but he was never truly evil...

Axrendale

[17]Sep 5, 2008
    I think perhaps Zuko's darkest moments occured during the begining of Season 2, when he went on his brief burst of kleptomania. There's also the begining of Season 3 - the scene where he sent Combustion Man after Aang was pretty dark, you've got to admit.

gilvatar

[18]Sep 5, 2008
    Axrendale wrote:
    I think perhaps Zuko's darkest moments occured during the begining of Season 2, when he went on his brief burst of kleptomania. There's also the begining of Season 3 - the scene where he sent Combustion Man after Aang was pretty dark, you've got to admit.
    What about when he screamed at Iroh?

kratosgod69

[19]Sep 5, 2008
    For the most part, in the beginning of season 2, Zuko only stole what was necessary, aside from the teapot he got for Iroh. He was sick of living as a poor man. One of the only things I liked from Avatar Day. Coincidental that two of his darkest moments (Avatar Day and The Headband) happened on episodes with a lighthearted facetious a-plot.

isabelwhatx

[20]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 14
    MarryLarry wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:

I don't deny that Zuko did evil things. He himself wasn't evil, though. The whole entire series he was struggling. He had never completely given over to being "evil". I think Zuko made up for his pathetic attempts at capturing Aang by helping him defeat Ozai. But you make a good point.