We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Dividing super-powers into the Four Elements!

ThisCrazyGuy

[61]Jan 12, 2009
    • level: 8
    legersem wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    legersem wrote:

Enhanced smell would most certainly fall under the realm of airbending. The main reason is that you could use air currents miles away to carry a smell to you or just use the air around you to pick up trace scents in the area.

I believe that duplication would go with waterbending because you could use water to create look-alikes of yourself and then use them to attack. I considered all the other elements and figured this one worked as air- and firebending (I even thought about your light theory) would only create translucent and shadow copies while earthbending would just be rocks. Waterbending just seemed to most lifelike out of the four.

I agree on Enhanced Smell! I'm not sure about Duplication though... :S

Well, think about it. Duplication would have to be basically like creating other, solid copies of yourself, right? That knocks out airbending and firebending since copies made out of air, fire, or refracted light wouldn't make a solid human being. The problem I had with earthbending was creating copies with no mobility. Rock people just wouldn't be like real people whereas people made out of water could be bent to look like people and would have the flexibility to fight like a person. Mud would be the best combination, so maybe water and earth?

Possible, very good theory!

What would you say about Bone Manipulation? Like, not being able to manipulate other living things' bones (would rip-off the much more logical and popular Bloodbending!), but someone being able to control ONLY THEIR OWN BONES, and maybe someone being able to control the bones of rotting skeletons (skeletons without bodies) and stuff like that.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

legersem

[62]Jan 13, 2009
    • level: 20
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    legersem wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    legersem wrote:

Enhanced smell would most certainly fall under the realm of airbending. The main reason is that you could use air currents miles away to carry a smell to you or just use the air around you to pick up trace scents in the area.

I believe that duplication would go with waterbending because you could use water to create look-alikes of yourself and then use them to attack. I considered all the other elements and figured this one worked as air- and firebending (I even thought about your light theory) would only create translucent and shadow copies while earthbending would just be rocks. Waterbending just seemed to most lifelike out of the four.

I agree on Enhanced Smell! I'm not sure about Duplication though... :S

Well, think about it. Duplication would have to be basically like creating other, solid copies of yourself, right? That knocks out airbending and firebending since copies made out of air, fire, or refracted light wouldn't make a solid human being. The problem I had with earthbending was creating copies with no mobility. Rock people just wouldn't be like real people whereas people made out of water could be bent to look like people and would have the flexibility to fight like a person. Mud would be the best combination, so maybe water and earth?

Possible, very good theory! What would you say about Bone Manipulation? Like, not being able to manipulate other living things' bones (would rip-off the much more logical and popular Bloodbending!), but someone being able to control ONLY THEIR OWN BONES, and maybe someone being able to control the bones of rotting skeletons (skeletons without bodies) and stuff like that.

Bone manipulation would be under the same vein as bloodbending, so it would be under waterbending. Bones are made up of bone marrow, which contains blood cells and platelets, which contain water. Even if there was a pile of bones lying around for centuries, I'm sure that despite that there is some traces of marrow left in them so waterbending would still be applicable. And if not, then earthbending because you could bend the dust and dirt on them carefully to prevent them from falling apart and you could always make a skeleton out of rocks.

ThisCrazyGuy

[63]Jan 14, 2009
    • level: 8
    What do you think Time control/manipulation and Teleportation would be classified under? Controlling the Time/Space continuum? Hiro Nakamura of Heroes' power?

legersem

[64]Jan 14, 2009
    • level: 20

Bending the flow of the time/space continuum is a tricky one, but I would have to go with waterbending as "flow" is the key word here. I think timebending would be similar to waterbending because you are going along with the flow, just changing it and shaping it to what you want it to be (or in this case, when you want to be). Teleportation is a tricky one as well but I would have to go with earthbending. It may sound weird, but you could use earthbending to open up the ground beneath you and to pop up somewhere else.

How does all of that sound?