We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Did you name any of your pets after any avatar character????

Dafoose

[41]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 19
    TitanPredator wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:
    1. Flaming means that someone is insulting you over the internet, basically. I can't think of a better way to describe it.
    2. I think he was just saying that you wouldn't disgrace someone so important by naming your dog after him/her. It was just a very strong comparison.

Okey, but I don't think that calling a pet Azula is insulting. But calling it Marting Luther King is insulting, I think. I mean, Azula doesn't exist in real life, so it isn't insulting. And I admid she is an important character, and she is quite awesome, but calling a pet Azula is not a disgrace. It's more like a tribute I guess.

It's only insulting if you call a white lab "martin luther king".
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

isabelwhatx

[42]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 14
    TitanPredator wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:
    1. Flaming means that someone is insulting you over the internet, basically. I can't think of a better way to describe it.
    2. I think he was just saying that you wouldn't disgrace someone so important by naming your dog after him/her. It was just a very strong comparison.

Okey, but I don't think that calling a pet Azula is insulting. But calling it Marting Luther King is insulting, I think. I mean, Azula doesn't exist in real life, so it isn't insulting. And I admid she is an important character, and she is quite awesome, but calling a pet Azula is not a disgrace. It's more like a tribute I guess.

Azula, to me, exists just as much as Martin Luther King Jr. I have never met either, but they have both made a significant impact on my life.

isabelwhatx

[43]Aug 11, 2008
    Dafoose wrote:
    TitanPredator wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA. That was so genius.

TitanPredator

[44]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 5
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    Dafoose wrote:
    TitanPredator wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA. That was so genius.

Lol, good one! But to some people Azula may be real, but for me she's not, Not in the real world, at least.

To go back on topic. Anyone have some pets called after avatar characters?

Axrendale

[45]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 10

Did someone mention crazed Azula fans?

*sends out call to Azula fans*

I hope that you have some very good lightning redirection skills, because if you don't, I advise you to take cover.

Dafoose

[46]Aug 11, 2008
    Axrendale wrote:

I hope that you have some very good lightning redirection skills, because if you don't, I advise you to take cover.

*ducks*

*holds out marshmallows*

Jackson5050

[47]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 12
    If he cannot figure out on his own why naming a dog after Azula is disrespectful, then I will not explain it to him. If Azula was a real person, she would easily make number one on the top 10 greatest women in history.

Dafoose

[48]Aug 11, 2008

Jackson5050 wrote:
    If he cannot figure out on his own why naming a dog after Azula is disrespectful, then I will not explain it to him. If Azula was a real person, she would easily make number one on the top 10 greatest women in history.
    Yeah, but are any of them hot? i think not. -_-

lol, jk, I'll get my butt kicked for that.

Edited on 08/11/2008 11:53am

Axrendale

[49]Aug 11, 2008

Just because Azula was a dictator (or rather, would have been one), and the fact that she is the only person on Avatar evil and scary enough to make the devil himself cringe, does not disqualify her as a "great" person. To use a real history example, Jesus Christ was beyond doubt on of the most well meaning people in history (to the point where he has his own religion). But in a recent pole to find the most influential "great men" in history, Jesus was trumped by Julius Caesar and Shi Huang Di, two of the most ruthless conquerors and most successful dictators in history, who incidently have been found in discussion on the historical comparison thread to be incredibly similar to Azula.

Tell me honestly, would you seriously name your dog Julius Caesar? It is just demeaning.

So while goodness is always nice, it does not always = greatness.

isabelwhatx

[50]Aug 11, 2008
    Axrendale wrote:

I totally called that. I TOTALLY CALLED THAT! *takes cover* I'm no Iroh.

TitanPredator

[51]Aug 11, 2008

Jackson5050 wrote:

Well, my point was also a bit that if it's insulting to call a dog Azula, then it is also insulting to call any pet after a avatar character. But please explain why it is insulting to call a dog Azula, but not Zuko or Suki or something. And I also think she is an awesome character, but she's not more important than Aang or Katara. But she won't be on that list because she is such a nice sweet girl, but probably fore her firebending skills.

isabelwhatx

[52]Aug 11, 2008
    TitanPredator wrote:

Jackson5050 wrote:

Well, my point was also a bit that if it's insulting to call a dog Azula, then it is also insulting to call any pet after a avatar character. But please explain why it is insulting to call a dog Azula, but not Zuko or Suki or something. And I also think she is an awesome character, but she's not more important than Aang or Katara. But she won't be on that list because she is such a nice sweet girl, but probably fore her firebending skills.

It's not that she's more important to the actual series than Aang or Katara, she's more in depth and respect-worthy. I'll let the crazed Azula fans explain this one.

TitanPredator

[53]Aug 11, 2008
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    TitanPredator wrote:

Jackson5050 wrote:

It's not that she's more important to the actual series than Aang or Katara, she's more in depth and respect-worthy. I'll let the crazed Azula fans explain this one.

Well, Zuko has some in depth to with his emotions. And Aang to. And she does earn respect, and is a great character. But you realise she is made up? But I still don't get why it's not insulting to call a dog Suki or Sokka or Aang or whatever. Can you explain that please?

Axrendale

[54]Aug 11, 2008

Quite frankly, saying that Azula is no more impotant than the other Avatar characters is like saying that Darth Vader is no more important than the other Star Wars characters - whoever says so is dead wrong.

Azula's contribution to Avatar is not to be understated. She provided Season 2 and the first half of Season 3 with the one thing the the first season had been missing - a perfect villain. You cannot have a good story without worthwhile enemies who are actually capable of beating the good guys at their own game. Just try and imagine for a moment what Season 2 and the first half of Season 3 would have been like without Azula - it just wouldn't have been the same. When we weren't looking, she somehow became a presence on the show without rival - there is no middle ground with Azula, you either love her or you hate her (sometimes both), but no matter what you cannot ignore her.

I ask you this - would you name your dog Darth Vader? I doubt it. Because even if your dog is the height of dark evil cool, it simply cannot measure up. The name is out of bounds, simply for the presence that is asscociated with it.

Axrendale

[55]Aug 11, 2008
    TitanPredator wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    TitanPredator wrote:

Jackson5050 wrote:

Well, Zuko has some in depth to with his emotions. And Aang to. And she does earn respect, and is a great character. But you realise she is made up? But I still don't get why it's not insulting to call a dog Suki or Sokka or Aang or whatever. Can you explain that please?

Star Wars comparison time You might name your dog Han, Luke or Leia (if it's a girl), but you wouldn't name it Darth Vader (see previous post).

TitanPredator

[56]Aug 11, 2008
    Axrendale wrote:
    TitanPredator wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    TitanPredator wrote:

Jackson5050 wrote:

Star Wars comparison time You might name your dog Han, Luke or Leia (if it's a girl), but you wouldn't name it Darth Vader (see previous post).

Yeah, but Darth Vader also sounds a little weird for a dogs name But I get you point. But Aang is what the whole series was about, so it would be insulting to call a pet Aang. And Katara has made some impact to, and so did Sokka, Zuko, Iroh and Toph. Imagine what the series would be without them. So, you get my point?

Edited on 08/11/2008 12:50pm

Axrendale

[57]Aug 11, 2008

TitanPredator, I feel that we are destined to disagree on everything forever

Cookies if you get the reference.

I once had a friend who named his goat Zhao. In a massively strange coincidence, the goat was attacked and eaten by a particularly ferocious Jack Russel Terrier about a month after SoTH first aired.

True story.

Edited on 08/11/2008 1:07pm
    Edited 3 total times.

isabelwhatx

[58]Aug 11, 2008
    Axrendale wrote:

TitanPredator, I feel that we are detined to disagree on everything forever

Cookies if you get the refernce.

I once had a friend who named his goat Zhao. In a massively starnge coincidence, the goat was attacked and eaten by a particularly ferocious Jack Russel Terrier about a month after SoTH first aired.

True story.

ROFLMAO. That's awesome. And sad. But awesome.

EmoHaruno

[59]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 11
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    TitanPredator wrote:

Jackson5050 wrote:

Wow I was thinking of a way different reason...

Axrendale

[60]Aug 11, 2008
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    Axrendale wrote:

TitanPredator, I feel that we are destined to disagree on everything forever

Cookies if you get the reference.

I once had a friend who named his goat Zhao. In a massively strange coincidence, the goat was attacked and eaten by a particularly ferocious Jack Russel Terrier about a month after SoTH first aired.

True story.

ROFLMAO. That's awesome. And sad. But awesome.

It wasn't a very nice goat. It attacked and bit anyone who came near it (after skewering them with it's horns). Which was why he was named Zhao