We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

silverfoxy8472

[1]Jun 15, 2009
    • level: 14

ok first don't misunderstand this topic i am not saying zuko was THE avatar BUT my question is this and it comes from the episode the avatar and the firelord when zuko reads the "secret" history about his OTHER great grandfather...

the way iroh explains it zuko seems to be ANOTHER avatar just can't learn all four elements is this a correct interpretation of what i have seen again and again?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Jackson5050

[2]Jun 15, 2009
    • level: 12
    No, that interpretation is erroneous. Zuko is related to Roku, who was the avatar before Aang, but he is not the avatar. Only one avatar can exist at a single point in time. Also, for future reference, if you have a question, please use this thread.
    Edited on 06/15/2009 2:00pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Sektos

[3]Jun 16, 2009
    • level: 10
    No, the point was that Zuko was the joining of two blood lines; Roku's and Sozin's. As such he is the key to ending the war by bringing peace to both sides as the future (now current) Fire lord.

silverfoxy8472

[4]Jun 16, 2009

1)jackson5050 thanks you are a wonderful person i will remember when i am thanking ppl in the future you will be at the top of the list. moving along

2)sektos i get the whole thing about bringing peace to both side but it was said he could bring BALANCE and cleasne the sins of their nation in a sense it sounds like a version of the avatar again i am sure this can be called erroneous but still it still just seems to be a version of the avatar to me.

ZBishop26

[5]Jun 16, 2009
    • level: 7
    silverfoxy8472 wrote:

1)jackson5050 thanks you are a wonderful person i will remember when i am thanking ppl in the future you will be at the top of the list. moving along

2)sektos i get the whole thing about bringing peace to both side but it was said he could bring BALANCE and cleasne the sins of their nation in a sense it sounds like a version of the avatar again i am sure this can be called erroneous but still it still just seems to be a version of the avatar to me.

Well it's not.

Sektos

[6]Jun 17, 2009
    • level: 10
    silverfoxy8472 wrote:

opps must have deleted rest of post (new Tv.com doesnt like my computer ). The Avatar is the incarnation of the spirit of the Earth that can control all its elements and ensure that there is peace. That is the point of the Avatar. Ppl can be LIKE the avatar and seek to make peace, or have a destiny, but it doesnt mean they are an Avatar.

Zuko, as product of both bloodlines (Symbolically) can see both sides of the war, and thus understand & represent the two. As such his choice, as Fire Lord, can decide how the war can end; Sozin- take over world, Roku- bring peace, and thus make up for the mistakes his ancestors have made. Personally i predicted Zuko was related to Roku (THOU i thought it would be that Roku and SOzin were brothers, instead they were "brothers"; Best friend that grew up together), but the relation really has no impact on the character. Zuko's character development was going to have him become FL and bring peace since S1 anyway. The fact they are related is really only an add-on.

Its kinda like Harry Potter in Book 5- harry was going to want to fight voldemort, and considering how things were set up, be the one to take him down. THe prophecy was superfluous.

MarryLarry

[7]Jun 17, 2009
    • level: 11
    Sektos wrote:
    silverfoxy8472 wrote:

The Avatar is the incarnation of the spirit of the Earth.

Just so there's no confusion for foxy, by Earth Sektos is referring to the planet, not the element.

isabelwhatx

[8]Jun 18, 2009
    Lawl, Zuko the Avatar...

silverfoxy8472

[9]Jun 19, 2009

well to begin hmmm

1) wow zbishop26 no counter for that arguement but then again no real arguement i mean nothing to back it up consider yourself lucky i responded at all sheesh. moving along

2) to sektos and marrylarry i get it let please not go captain planet here

ok just to respond to some others from before i do NOT think of zuko as THE AVATAR just in the joining of the two bloodlines in him and the ability to make peace so dramatically i am saying he is a VERSION of the avatar.

_Flutterlight_

[10]Jun 19, 2009
    • level: 15

I'd argue that Zuko is more a "decendant" of the Avatar, instead of "a version of the Avatar".

You know, since he's a fire bender, and the next avatar was supposed to be an Air bender, and also he can't bend the other elements, or do any Avatar stuff with the Spirit World... And how he was never refered to as any sort of "Avatar" throughout the entire course of the show.

Anyway, Zuko didn't create peace dramaticaly. We don't know if there were any uprisings later, or if maybe there was more conflict with the Dai Lee, or anything like that.

Besides, if an earth bender married a water bender, and then they had a water bender, the water bender would not be considered a "version of an earth bender" if all the water bender could bend was stuff a standard waterbender could bend. (Mudbending doesn't count, because Toph and Katara have been able to bend it.)

Edited on 06/19/2009 8:04pm

edmasterchaos

[11]Jun 20, 2009
    • level: 41
    Zuko is not 'a version of the Avatar' he is a simple man.
    His father's father's father created the war for the goal of unifying all territories, all lands.
    His Mother's parent's father was the avatar who attempted to stop that.
    Zuko is decendant of both, one man who's blood line has both sides of this war.
    He's nothing short or more than a man.
    Iroh only told him that crap cuz Zuko always fought for daddy and stuff, so telling him greatgranddaddy was an Avatar would bamboozle him out of his ways into good, don't take Roku being his great grandfather thing too seriously, it doesn't really affect much.

silverfoxy8472

[12]Jun 23, 2009

ahhhh yess debate i love it where to begin.

1) _flutterlight i am not COMPLETELY argueing that point in fact agree with that it is JUST TO ME THE WAY IT WAS PHRASED made him seem like a VERSION of the avatar which came about because of his bloodlines able to restore balance as his uncle said to cleanse the sins of his nation as for your last comment sheesh that is NOT the logic i am using though a hybrid from a water bender and an earth bender would've been interesting how would that work? what elements would the person be able to bend? but the point is you are applying one logic that was used and drawn from logical sources ( as logical as you can get for a cartoon) and twisting it into a situattion that makes no sense.

2) edmasterofchaos what cartoon were you watching? zuko is ANYTHING but simple his family history and behaviors wenth through many twists and turns he ONLY became a MUCH simpler person after the western air temple when he calmed down his past his present up to the western air temple he was far more complex than you seem to make him FOCUSED yes but still complex.

ZBishop26

[13]Jun 24, 2009
    silverfoxy8472 wrote:

1) _flutterlight i am not COMPLETELY argueing that point in fact agree with that it is JUST TO ME THE WAY IT WAS PHRASED made him seem like a VERSION of the avatar which came about because of his bloodlines able to restore balance as his uncle said to cleanse the sins of his nation as for your last comment sheesh that is NOT the logic i am using though a hybrid from a water bender and an earth bender would've been interesting how would that work? what elements would the person be able to bend? but the point is you are applying one logic that was used and drawn from logical sources ( as logical as you can get for a cartoon) and twisting it into a situattion that makes no sense.

2) edmasterofchaos what cartoon were you watching? zuko is ANYTHING but simple his family history and behaviors wenth through many twists and turns he ONLY became a MUCH simpler person after the western air temple when he calmed down his past his present up to the western air temple he was far more complex than you seem to make him FOCUSED yes but still complex.

There is only one Avatar at a time. Zuko's great-grandfather was one and Aang is one. Zuko is trying to bring peace to the world, so in a way he's similar to the Avatar but he is not a version of the Avatar. Sokka helped out Aang a lot, so does that make him a version of the Avatar too?

Also from what we've been told about the show, only the Avatar can bend multiple elements.

edmasterchaos

[14]Jun 24, 2009
    silverfoxy8472 wrote:

When i said simple man, i meant that Zuko is a man, a human, not a god, deity or anything of the like, he's a bender with a messed up family who ended up becoming a Lord, but still, nothing more than a man.

silverfoxy8472

[15]Jun 24, 2009

ahh yes here we go again

1) zbishop26 we can go around in a circle for all eternity i UNDERSTAND PERFECTLY there is only ONE avatar at any one time. as for your arguement about sokka besides being well one of the less smart characters he helped Aang out ONLY zuko is unique in that a as i have said before he could restore balance to the world LIKE uncle said and cleanse the sins of his nation but he can't learn all four elements but overall yes he is TO ME a version of what aang is. getting back to sokka oh sheesh well no offense i think you would've been better choosing katara for your arguement but no sokka is NOT a version of the avatar because he helped aang but this line of thinking is well dumb lets not speak along these lines again ok?

MarryLarry

[16]Jun 24, 2009
    I smell a troll, who isn't as shiny or attractive as it's name implies.

gilvatar

[17]Jun 24, 2009
    • level: 17
    MarryLarry wrote:
    well that's mean.

edmasterchaos

[18]Jun 25, 2009
    MarryLarry wrote:
    Rly? i smell borderline n00b instead, but then again i kinda have a cold.
    Edited on 06/25/2009 11:27am

MarryLarry

[19]Jun 25, 2009
    Both are synonymous with /facepalm so it's easy to get the two confused every now and then. In this case, n00b is probably more appropriate.

ZBishop26

[20]Jun 25, 2009
    silverfoxy8472 wrote:
    ahh yes here we go again1) zbishop26 we can go around in a circle for all eternity i UNDERSTAND PERFECTLY there is only ONE avatar at any one time. as for your arguement about sokka besides being well one of the less smart characters he helped Aang out ONLY zuko is unique in that a as i have said before he could restore balance to the world LIKE uncle said and cleanse the sins of his nation but he can't learn all four elements but overall yes he is TO ME a version of what aang is. getting back to sokka oh sheesh well no offense i think you would've been better choosing katara for your arguement but no sokka is NOT a version of the avatar because he helped aang but this line of thinking is well dumb lets not speak along these lines again ok?
    OK, you're right.