We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Aang lack of arrogance compared to other young animated heros

nyfan

[1]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 20

I noticed one thing that does seperate Aang from the other animated heros of today. He is very humble. He rarely gives any one liners when fighting villain, he doesn't trash talk. The only time he has ever done such behavior is in episode 117 and he did it as per his strategy.

Ever other young hero in animation today like Danny Phantom, Ben 10, American Dragon: Jake Long, most of the Teen Titans, and even Kim Possible who doesn't have powers actully, they like to flunt their abilities, and do some trash talking along the way.

But I think Aang's humbuleness might be a reason why Aang seems to be very unpopular, a lot of fans think he is boring. I am not one of them, just saying what I have heard. But if Aang could so a little more arrogance and more of sense of humor in battle like the heros I mention above, and for example when fighting Fire Benders say "Hey Fire Bender head, eat my Avatar dust." or something like that, when his comrads tell him to be careful to reply "Please I am the Avatar, this is easy" would it make him more popular among fans?

I know people like these heros I mention above, because they would act arrogant if they had super powers, and maybe they feel more relatable to someone who lets it go to their heads sometimes.

Edited on 04/15/2008 3:28pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

NarutoAvatarDBZ

[2]Apr 15, 2008
    Maybe this is because he is a monk??????? Besides, he isn't THAT humble.

Blaster33456

[3]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 9
    Yeah, but I mean he's an AIR head. Like the Kyoshi episode. He wasn't so humble.

Phyrra

[4]Apr 15, 2008
    If that's the reason, I would disagree. It's one of the reasons I like Avatar, because of it's realism in the character's personallities.
    Aang isn't my favorite because he doesn't appeal to me as much as other characters on the show does, but I do dearly love that fact he takes things seriously and has reality put on his mind. Not saying I dislike his character, I mean, he definately isn't boring. I'm glad he doesn't do the simple one liners, but the one liners probably do crack some smiles. See, Avatar does have its appropriate and equal balance of witty comedy and events packed with action- the characters are much to focused on their battles to worry about silly puns.
    That's another reason that makes Azula my favorite villain. She doesn't laugh maniacally and proclaim victory in the middle of a battle (though, she stays two steps and a leap ahead of the deal), but she actually does something about it and won't give anyone the chance to overpower her.
    So, does it affect Aang's popularity? It's not easy to say, but I don't think it should. It might be the lack of depth in history and pretty static personallity (he's had the same optimism throughout the series, minus a few times which makes his character likeable).

nyfan

[5]Apr 15, 2008

I forget to say, that is what seperates Avatar from the other shows. Aang does take his Avatar work serously, he doesn't underestemates his opponents.

Yeah he is a fun loving kid, when he is off duty and he is simply Aang. But when it is Avatar time, he is altro serious. Fighting is not fun time to him like the other heros.

What that last person said about Azula, I agree completely. Azula is a serous villain who doesn't make the mistakes of the stupid comic relief villain, but she still a fun character, she is not too serious to a boring degree. Ironic of who voices her great grandfather, because she is a lot like Slade. Like Slade, she will sneak in a few funny evil one liners once in a while, but she is a master of staying two steps ahead of everybody most of the time. She is has the effectiveness of a real serious villain, but she has the good qualities of the comic relief villain. Just like Slade.

Edited on 04/15/2008 3:52pm
    Edited 3 total times.

Blaster33456

[6]Apr 15, 2008
    Hey! I never heard Superman giggle during a fight.

AllKnowingBeing

[7]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 12

Everyone on Avatar has different personality's. Aang can somethimes he can be humble and sometimes he can be arrogant just like in real life.

nyfan

[8]Apr 15, 2008

Blaster33456 wrote:
    Hey! I never heard Superman giggle during a fight.

I was referring to the young heros. The junior heros, not grown up heros.

bendthisfire

[9]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 11
    NarutoAvatarDBZ wrote:
    Maybe this is because he is a monk??????? Besides, he isn't THAT humble.

This is true he also did say, 'this is so different to how he monks taught us to live' so after 12 years of living in peace, then (after the iceberg) waking up to his destiny he would have to become humble, but he still is a kid and we will get that from him.

SilverDragonfan

[10]Apr 15, 2008
    I still think being humble is a good thing. Who has time to make a stupid joke in a life or death situation? Who can flaunt their abilities when innocents are dying? It shows how mature he is and how he was raised by the monks.

Maria93

[11]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 10

SilverDragonfan wrote:
    I still think being humble is a good thing. Who has time to make a stupid joke in a life or death situation? Who can flaunt their abilities when innocents are dying? It shows how mature he is and how he was raised by the monks.

agree

Aang is humble because he's a monk and i like aang the way he is , funny ,if he was arrogant i will probably hate him

xRamensx

[12]Apr 15, 2008
    Aang does have some arrogant moments, but otherwise he's pretty good about that. I'm glad he doesn't make corny jokes during a battle, or thinks he's the most awesome thing ever just because he can control all elements, and is a reincarnation of a powerful spirit.

SilverDragonfan

[13]Apr 15, 2008
    Maria! So you've arrived. Aang pwns all arrogance! Hukki Tukki YAH! Karate chops! Humble is the best! Aang has no one liners! I hate those cheesy one liners!

By the way Maria, how was the story, did you read the sequal yet? Unrelated I know...

nyfan

[14]Apr 15, 2008
    One can only imagine if for some reason, Aang's powers were transformed to Sokka, how Sokka would act if all of a sudden went from a non bender, to the ability to bend all of the elements plus some other extra powers. Now he would probably be fit the molt of the typical arrogant young teen hero. He might get himself a cape and call himself "Super Sokka". I think I just gave some girls somthing to dream about, and some fan fac writers something to write about. Just like I love Aang for who he is, I love Sokka for he is. He would go over board, but that it what makes Sokka Sokka.
    Edited on 04/15/2008 5:53pm
    Edited 2 total times.

edmasterchaos

[15]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 41
    That makes him more human.

Honestly, if you are fighting a firebender, knowing very well that it is your responsability to win, knowing that the reason of this fight is a war that is your fault, knowing that if you aren't careful you may even die, would you try to say Rock On after you use an earthbending move?

SilverDragonfan

[16]Apr 15, 2008
    No, no I wouldn't. How I wish I could earthbend! Wouldn't that be awesome in the greatest of ways? But I wouldn't let anyone find out and be arrogant of course...

I don't want to be dissected!

kkg14

[17]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 6
    This is why I like Aang the best out of all the junior heroes. In fact, this is why love this show. It has broken almost every single rule in the unwritten hero/villain handbook.
    Edited on 04/15/2008 5:50pm

xRamensx

[18]Apr 15, 2008

edmasterchaos wrote:
    That makes him more human.

Honestly, if you are fighting a firebender, knowing very well that it is your responsability to win, knowing that the reason of this fight is a war that is your fault, knowing that if you aren't careful you may even die, would you try to say Rock On after you use an earthbending move?

I'd kick Aang in the junk is he said that. D:

nyfan

[19]Apr 15, 2008

kkg14 wrote:
    This is why I like Aang the best out of all the junior heroes. In fact, this is why love this show. It has broken almost every single rule in the unwritten hero/villain handbook.

Yeah so true, agreed. Well the western hero/villain handbook at least. This is not that unusual for Anime.

SilverDragonfan

[20]Apr 15, 2008
    ROCK ON! Monks rule! I think arrogant heroes are stupid.

Think of Ben 10, he's immature. Jake Long? That show ended. And so many others...

You know what? I might just make Rock On a copyrighted phrase for my own use...