We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Aang lack of arrogance compared to other young animated heros

[21]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 14

Well, here comes AS, the ultimate outcast.

I'm sorry to say that Aang is most definately my favorite. There's just something about him that I really like. Of course I like him best at around the middle of S2-S3. I think he's awesome.

And I also think it would completely ruin the state of things if he cracks jokes during a serious battle. Emphasis on SERIOUS battle.

Edited on 04/15/2008 6:03pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TeamAvatar85

[22]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 4
    Aang is a good hero. And he is certainly different than most arrogant heroes. I think Aang is just a fun-loving kid who doesn't want to make any enemies. He has no reason to want to trash talk anyone. Air Nomads are peaceful people who dislike violence. And well... trash talking and being arrogant could lead to violence. Aang is usually pretty serious... not completely, but that's understandable. He's 12, and he does have his somewhat arrogant moments. Although he's a lot better than most heroes. And I disagree. Look at anime hero Naruto for example. He's VERY arrogant. That goes for some other anime heroes too.

nyfan

[23]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 20

When I first saw The Chase I thought of some good one liners could have said when he was confronted with Azula.

"Gee I am fladdered you went through his trouble for me, I know I am deviloush handsome but still." "Lady are you that desperate for a date?"

I know Aang would not say those things. But sometimes a good setup, is a good setup, and Aang was perfectly setup to say a bunch of funny lines at the arrogiant villainess.

Edited on 04/15/2008 6:53pm

SilverDragonfan

[24]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 11
    HAHA! Very funny. But he doesn't say arrogant things, only funny things once in a while when there should be comic relief.

xRamensx

[25]Apr 15, 2008

Well, here comes AS, the ultimate outcast.

I'm sorry to say that Aang is most definately my favorite. There's just something about him that I really like. Of course I like him best at around the middle of S2-S3. I think he's awesome.

And I also think it would completely ruin the state of things if he cracks jokes during a serious battle. Emphasis on SERIOUS battle.

Though he isn't my favorite (Azula beats him in that) I still absolutely adore him. In the beginning of the show, he was, as Katara put it "a goofy kid", but now, even though he has matured greatly, he still retains that comical aspect. If he was real, and not 12-years-old, I'd definitely date him.

Blaster33456

[26]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 9
    to myfan:
    This is aang.. not Marco from Animorphs

nyfan

[27]Apr 15, 2008

TeamAvatar85 wrote:
    Aang is a good hero. And he is certainly different than most arrogant heroes. I think Aang is just a fun-loving kid who doesn't want to make any enemies. He has no reason to want to trash talk anyone. Air Nomads are peaceful people who dislike violence. And well... trash talking and being arrogant could lead to violence. Aang is usually pretty serious... not completely, but that's understandable. He's 12, and he does have his somewhat arrogant moments. Although he's a lot better than most heroes. And I disagree. Look at anime hero Naruto for example. He's VERY arrogant. That goes for some other anime heroes too.

I never said Anime didn't have arrogant heros, just that it wasn't as uncommon for them to have humble respectful heros like Aang compared to the western cartoons. Sure there are arrogant anime heros, but there are also humble anime heros, like Renton and Eureka from Eureka 7 they are very humble. Though the rest of the Gekko State can be arrogant at certain times especially Holland. Another example of a humble anime hero is Ichiko from Bleach.

By the way, I hope you don't think I want Aang to be arrogant and making jokes in battle. Just something I noticed, just because I state something, doesn't mean I am complaining.

Edited on 04/15/2008 6:15pm

_Nalesnik_

[28]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 12
    nyfan wrote:

TeamAvatar85 wrote:

I never said Anime didn't have arrogant heros, just that it wasn't as uncommon for them to have humble respectful heros like Aang compared to the western cartoons. Sure there are arrogant anime heros, but there are also humble anime heros, like Renton and Eureka from Eureka 7 they are very humble. Though the rest of the Gekko State can be arrogant at certain times especially Holland. Another example of a humble anime hero is Ichiko from Bleach.

*nods*

Kira and Athrun from gundam seed and seed destiny.

vampking06

[29]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 7
    spiderman's arrogant. but i get your point and it bugs me too. granted my favorite show is danny phantom, the puns and one liners make me cringe. but remember that avatar is a totally different show than ben 10, danny phantom, and others the op mentioned. this isnt even a comic-style hero like those, it's more of an epic fantasy, so he's more of a hero like Frodo. see ehat im saying?

SilverDragonfan

[30]Apr 15, 2008
    Yah.

HalfHandedCloud

[31]Apr 15, 2008
    You never saw Luke Skywalker talking trash. Aang dosn't need it, it dosn't really fit his character, and gives Sokka a job.

nyfan

[32]Apr 15, 2008

Though in defense of the arrogant heros I mentioned though I don't think them all arrogant, I don't really consider Danny Phantom that arrogant, maybe a little, but not as much as Jake Long or Ben Tennison (who I heard grow out of his arrogance in the new Ben 10 series when he is 15), they are full of themselfs most of the time. Anyway back to my point, sometimes it is the villains that determain the type of hero you are.

If you enemies are buffons who are more interested in prefecting their evil laugh and mostly incompedent, you might crack a few one liners in battle and be a little arrogant. Kim Possible is the best example, she is a natural humble person, but the buffon villains she fights, makes it hard for her to keep a straight face. If you adverosires are nothing but jokes, it is hard to take your job of hero seriously. Aang of course doesn't have that problem.

Mention Luke Skywalker, I just found a way to categorize these heros.

The take their job seroiusly humble heros are Luke Skywalkder heros, and the arrogant say one liners in battles are Han Solo heros. The Luke style and the Han style.

Edited on 04/15/2008 6:42pm
    Edited 2 total times.

HalfHandedCloud

[33]Apr 15, 2008
    nyfan wrote:
    Mention Luke Skywalker, I just found a way to categorize these heros.

The take their job seroiusly humble heros are Luke Skywalkder heros, and the arrogant say one liners in battles are Han Solo heros. The Luke style and the Han style.

I guess really what determines (or at lest should determines) the heros arrogant or lack there of is what other overall goal is and what roll they play in it. Such as Aang's and Luke's. They are the key to restoring balance, though both do not act alone, without ether there's not much hope in resolution. But you can look at a character like Han or Sokka who play a roll in helping restoring balance, and though they may have a lot riding on them all hope would not be lost without them. This allows them to have a more layed back attitude.

foxhole7

[34]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 5
    Maria93 wrote:

SilverDragonfan wrote:
    I still think being humble is a good thing. Who has time to make a stupid joke in a life or death situation? Who can flaunt their abilities when innocents are dying? It shows how mature he is and how he was raised by the monks.

agree

Aang is humble because he's a monk and i like aang the way he is , funny ,if he was arrogant i will probably hate him

agree and agree. It's not worth it to make Aang a worse character just to get more fans for the show.

SilverDragonfan

[35]Apr 15, 2008
    I hate the Han style! BOO!

WiseIroh

[36]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 13
    nyfan wrote:

I forget to say, that is what seperates Avatar from the other shows. Aang does take his Avatar work serously, he doesn't underestemates his opponents.

Yeah he is a fun loving kid, when he is off duty and he is simply Aang. But when it is Avatar time, he is altro serious. Fighting is not fun time to him like the other heros.

What that last person said about Azula, I agree completely. Azula is a serous villain who doesn't make the mistakes of the stupid comic relief villain, but she still a fun character, she is not too serious to a boring degree. Ironic of who voices her great grandfather, because she is a lot like Slade. Like Slade, she will sneak in a few funny evil one liners once in a while, but she is a master of staying two steps ahead of everybody most of the time. She is has the effectiveness of a real serious villain, but she has the good qualities of the comic relief villain. Just like Slade.

well asides from Kuruk all avatars act humbely toward their enemies and friends, but since aang is a monk he takes it to the next level on kindness,

HalfHandedCloud

[37]Apr 15, 2008
    SilverDragonfan wrote:
    do you like Han?

vampking06

[38]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 7

SilverDragonfan wrote:

i love the han/ sokka style.

han and sokka FTW

L0717

[39]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 10

ichigo talks trash

which makes him a wuss

but somewhat cool.

whatever man.

its an illusion.

waterbender6025

[40]Apr 16, 2008
    nah i think sokka is the arogant hero in this cartoon (i know he isnt the 'main' hero but it fits him)