We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Aang lack of arrogance compared to other young animated heros

StrongGaia

[41]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 8
    Aang's not my favourite, but I like his fun-loving nature. I like how he only fights to achieve something, not for the sake of it. Like in 'Avatar Day'. He could have fought his way out of prison, but instead decided to stay because it would tarnish his reputation.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Spacerac

[42]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 15
    Everyone's pretty much said everything. And yes, I realized the villains in this show don't do unbelievably stupid things.

SilverDragonfan

[43]Apr 18, 2008
    • level: 11
    Yeah...

THE END

Maria93

[44]Apr 18, 2008
    • level: 10

SilverDragonfan wrote:
    Yeah... THE END

SilverDragonfan

[45]Apr 18, 2008
    LOL!

DeeDuck33

[46]Apr 18, 2008

Aang doesn't need one-liners:

"But, I'm the Avatar!" (Sorry, had to slip that one in)

But anyway, ug, I hate Danny Phantom's catch phrases and "witty" remarks. They are so... bad.

Edited on 04/18/2008 8:40pm

DeeDuck33

[47]Apr 18, 2008
    Spacerac wrote:
    Everyone's pretty much said everything. And yes, I realized the villains in this show don't do unbelievably stupid things.
    Oooh, and yes! Don't you just love it when the villian adds a reverse switch and labels it?

Cyberdramon1995

[48]Apr 18, 2008
    • level: 4

every season of digimon has an arrogant hero (except for season 3)

and yeah Naruto is incredibly arrogant

and Ash

7OmonII

[49]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 12
    Cyberdramon1995 wrote:

every season of digimon has an arrogant hero (except for season 3)

and yeah Naruto is incredibly arrogant

and Ash

Im pretty sure Rika from season 3 was very arrogant. I know she improved her behavior throughout the season but she still got some in there.

Axrendale

[50]Aug 8, 2008

Okay, found the thread.

I think that Aang's humble and caring personality is the best thing about him. The person who called him a "Luke Skywalker type hero"got it spot on. The reason that heroes like Aang and Luke stand out is not just because of their personalities (or the fact that they kick ass) but also the way they treat their enemies. How many heroes from other stories, when having emerged victorious from a life or death struggle with their greatest enemy, an enemy they know to number among the truly evil, would still be willing to extend mercy to them, to stand by their belief that all life is important, and that anyone can be capable of redemption? I really don't think that there are many examples.

isabelwhatx

[51]Aug 8, 2008
    • level: 14
    YAY! Thread found! But now on my perspective on Aang...

Aang is a horridly noble, honest, and innocent character. He's mature, but immature at the same time. Although he has such a large burden on his shoulders, he can appreciate the world and is still capable of love. UGH I have to go. We're leaving. But I'll back to this thread in a couple days. I'll remember the name. PEACE.

DeeDuck33

[52]Aug 8, 2008
    Axrendale wrote:

Okay, found the thread.

I think that Aang's humble and caring personality is the best thing about him. The person who called him a "Luke Skywalker type hero"got it spot on. The reason that heroes like Aang and Luke stand out is not just because of their personalities (or the fact that they kick ass) but also the way they treat their enemies. How many heroes from other stories, when having emerged victorious from a life or death struggle with their greatest enemy, an enemy they know to number among the truly evil, would still be willing to extend mercy to them, to stand by their belief that all life is important, and that anyone can be capable of redemption? I really don't think that there are many examples.

Great, you've found this! It was buried pretty deep, wasn't it? xD

Anyway, Aang has his moments, but who really spouts witty remarks at the other side in the midst of battle? Usually, in real life, people concentrate on fighting to win. No one has time to think of catch phrases while having punches thrown at you. The fact that Avatar doesn't really do it makes the show that much more realistic.

Aang knows he can die at anytime. That's a pretty big humbling factor. With that paired with his already humble personality, there's really no room for arrogance.

Plus, when the fight scenes are that awesome, there's no need for funny sayings in the middle of the fight.

rockon45

[53]Aug 8, 2008
    • level: 15
    DeeDuck33 wrote:
    Axrendale wrote:

Okay, found the thread.

Great, you've found this! It was buried pretty deep, wasn't it? xD

Anyway, Aang has his moments, but who really spouts witty remarks at the other side in the midst of battle? Usually, in real life, people concentrate on fighting to win. No one has time to think of catch phrases while having punches thrown at you. The fact that Avatar doesn't really do it makes the show that much more realistic.

Aang knows he can die at anytime. That's a pretty big humbling factor. With that paired with his already humble personality, there's really no room for arrogance.

Plus, when the fight scenes are that awesome, there's no need for funny sayings in the middle of the fight.
    Actually, I probably could think of some 1 liners... not good ones, but my brain just works like that!

ToonGal

[54]Aug 8, 2008
    • level: 18
    vampking06 wrote:

SilverDragonfan wrote:
    I hate the Han style! BOO!

i love the han/ sokka style.

han and sokka FTW

Sokka style! LEARN IT!!! XD

Aang's relatively humble personality is a nice breath of fresh air. As others have said, it adds to the show's realism. Most heroes in real life let their actions do the talking instead of spouting one-liners. Not to say that one-liners can't be funny, but overusing them gets dull fast.

[55]Aug 8, 2008
    • level: 9
    i think aang's kindness and his lack of arrogance just makes him more of a hero becaue it is a good example for the kids...ya....ahahah

Bandage2

[56]Aug 8, 2008
    • level: 5
    being humble is one of the most admirable qualities someone can have. What makes aang all the more powerful is his ability to keep level headed. In my opinion, being humble even when you clearly don't have to me makes aang the most mature character on the show (besides Iroh, he also isn't arrogant AT ALL)

replay104

[57]Aug 8, 2008
    I think the best thing about Avatar is that Aang is NOT the main character. Every character gets equal playing time. I'd say the reason Aang isn't as popular is because he's harder to relate to. Not many people I know have had their entire culture ripped to shreds.

Aang has inner termoil and a sense of duty and care for his friends. I think he is one of the best characters in animation.

Snow-Angel

[58]Sep 29, 2008
    aang is ausome as the (only slightly) serious character who never responds to jibes like other animated characters such as naruto(dont get me wrong i love the little hothead). i belive that sakka was designed to be the opposite of aang in every way (ex., eating met, stupid battle phrases, tactician/inventor, major romance involvment, pessimistic, and dont forget comidian!)

Axrendale

[59]Oct 1, 2008
    I remember thsi thread. I really liked it

shadowysea07

[60]Oct 1, 2008
    • level: 25
    i must of not been around for this one. I think he's pretty arrogant. but more airheaded than arrogant like ty lee.