We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

SpongeBob SquarePants Forums

Weekdays 5:00 PM on NickelodeonIn Season

Why do people seem so disappointed in Season 4?

TAMKFan

[1]Nov 11, 2006
    • level: 10
    I never understood why.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kitsy_josie

[2]Nov 11, 2006
    • level: 1
    Me neither. Mabey they didn't think the episodes were funny enough?

tabbikattster

[3]Nov 11, 2006
    • level: 16
    I haven't watched it in awhile.What are the new episodes like?
    Edited on 11/11/2006 9:48pm

abby724

[4]Nov 11, 2006
    • level: 14

Well, I'm a long-time fan. I'm disappointed in the new episodes, and I'd be glad to share why.

Spongebob's voice. Just, just, just compare it to the other seasons. Not too, I don't know, high-pitched any annoying? And his laugh... it's sorta changed. He doesn't really laugh with that sheep sort of accent anymore.

The writing and plots. They're not the same. Sure, there are a few exceptions, but yes, few. Before, the episodes draw you in, with clever writing, funny jokes, well-fitting music, and the plain old charming characters. Now the scenarios aren't really that funny, or interesting. And have you seen the best day ever? Sounds like a five or six-year old wrote it. And there aren't as many funny or interesting jokes or scenarios anymore. Also, what happenned to the interesting endings? Most of the beginnings are good, but not so much the endings.

For example, Reef Blower drew the viewers in with a plot and theme reminiscent of old black-and-white shorts with no voice acting; which is pretty much what the episode was. Especially the fitting music.

For the endings, yeah, they leave the viewer with the thought that something's missing, as iff the end of the episodes just been clipped off. The other seasons weren't like that. You'd feel you've seen the whole episode, nothing missing, nothing clipped off. Like Sandy's Rocket. Sure, you didn't see what happenned next, but it doesn't feel rushed or clipped off, which is what the endings in the new episodes are like.

spongefan4eva

[5]Nov 11, 2006
    • level: 1
    Every TV show has "off" seasons. I'm not trying to say that Season 4 is bad, but I do think that it is weaker when compared to the other three seasons. So maybe Season 4 is an "off" season. But SpongeBob will return to prominence with Season 5!

abby724

[6]Nov 11, 2006

Well, I hope there's a season 5.

If the trene with shallow episodes continues, it might go down the drain.

Or worse. Go down the drain with an episode like "The Best Day Ever" as the series finale.

Noteldnep

[7]Nov 12, 2006
    • level: 16
    I can't argue with the fact that a lot has changed this season, but I never would have predicted so many people frequently stating that Season 4 is crappy compared to the others. I understand that people have different opinions, but I still wouldn't have forseen THIS many people thinking Season 4 is crappy.
    Edited on 11/12/2006 11:49am

RissaHearts8876

[9]Nov 13, 2006
    • level: 3
    This season is just.... spastic. That's what I have to say about it. Spastic. Everything is zit-zit-zit. All over the place. I agree with you Abby. SBs voice is alot higher and his laugh is different. I have to say that most people like consistancy. Like Jimmy Newtron and The Fairly Odd Parents, not much has changed with the characters or settings of the episodes. SB has changed. It's obvious. Disappointing, yes, but obvious.

Spongebob4eva

[10]Nov 13, 2006

Yeah, I agree too, abby. Plus I find that somtimes its humor can be rude. I liked the 2002 episode the best.

Ever since the movie, it wasn't the same.

tomkfan

[11]Nov 15, 2006
    • level: 11

I don't like season four because they took all of the characters personalities and exaggerated them to extremes. Okay I'll show you what I mean.

SpongeBob: He was originally sort of dumb and kinda hyper. Now he's just hyper to absurd extremes bouncing all over the place and not having a second of intelligence.

Patrick: He used to be dumb, but still had his moments of intelligence. He also used to have his mentally ill moments. Now he's about as dumb as a rock. Now he's mentally ill 24/7.

Squidward: He used to be nice and feel sorry for people sometimes but was mostly grouchy. Then he had a reason to be grouchy. Now he gets ticked off for no reason whatsoever.

Sandy: Used to be smart, sweet, and southern. Now she's a genius. She's not as sweet anymore and all she ever does is smart things. I really miss the southern references.

Okay I think you get my drift. The only characters that stayed the same for me were Karen and Plankton. Mainly because their personalities are hard to be exaggerated I guess.....or maybe it's just because I love Plankton..... 

Edited on 11/15/2006 6:19pm

kjb29

[12]Nov 15, 2006
    • level: 12
    tomkfan wrote:

I don't like season four because they took all of the characters personalities and exaggerated them to extremes. Okay I'll show you what I mean.

SpongeBob: He was originally sort of dumb and kinda hyper. Now he's just hyper to absurd extremes bouncing all over the place and not having a second of intelligence.

Patrick: He used to be dumb, but still had his moments of intelligence. He also used to have his mentally ill moments. Now he's about as dumb as a rock. Now he's mentally ill 24/7.

Squidward: He used to be nice and feel sorry for people sometimes but was mostly grouchy. Then he had a reason to be grouchy. Now he gets ticked off for no reason whatsoever.

Sandy: Used to be smart, sweet, and southern. Now she's a genius. She's not as sweet anymore and all she ever does is smart things. I really miss the southern references.

Okay I think you get my drift. The only characters that stayed the same for me were Karen and Plankton. Mainly because their personalities are hard to be exaggerated I guess.....or maybe it's just because I love Plankton..... 

Yeah, i agree. And i noticed that spongebob is a little more stubborn than in seasons 1-3.

LOZFAN6537

[13]Nov 15, 2006
    I like the episode in season 4

kayrahtay2000

[14]Nov 15, 2006
    • level: 11
    I don't understnad why either.

TAMKFan

[15]Nov 15, 2006
    • level: 10
    Can't you people understand that shows need to evolve overtime? If character personality only changes a little, as you mentioned bugs you, then that's your problem!

abby724

[16]Nov 16, 2006
    Shows do evolve over time, and characters change, but... making Spongebob have an overly high pitched voice really doesn't help the series.

MrSupernova

[17]Nov 16, 2006
    • level: 4

season 4 was getting less of the happy fun spongebob feel that usually comes along with seasons 1 through 3 season 4 comes with exaggerated humour and taking the jokes a little toooo serious it feels so rushed like the creators wanted it to be done and get it over with i hate that feel for example,dont you feel that wigstruck episode was too rushed?and too many of the same stuff repeated over and over again,i mean come on!the characters have changed too

squidward now gets angry over nothing bleagh!i really look down on season 4 compared to seasons 1 through 3.wow,that was corny

Edited on 11/18/2006 8:33pm
    Edited 3 total times.

RissaHearts8876

[19]Nov 17, 2006
    Ok, I think I have another point.

TAMKfan, you say that the characters need to "evolve" over time. Well, from year to year does YOUR personality change from a 2 to a 25? I think all cartoons should be somewhat realistic. I mean if all cartoons had endless personality changes, no one would watch TV. They wouldn't be able to keep up with the change and ideas for changes would run out quickly. How much fun would that be?

crazyladyanjas

[20]Nov 17, 2006
    • level: 4
    I am one of the people not happy with the new season. Some of the episodes like New Leaf, Karate Island, Purls Birthaday Party, and Best Day Ever, were very good, but some of them like Ghost Host, Squidbob tenticle pants, and Once Bitten,  I find to be so bad that we shut it off. Then their are others like Chimps ahoy, and Shell of a man,  that are okay.