We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

SpongeBob SquarePants Forums

Weekdays 5:00 PM on NickelodeonIn Season

If SpongeBob ended with the movie

money3003

[1]Apr 30, 2011
    • level: 6

I've browsing a lot of shows lately and I noticed that Avatar: The Last Airbender has a standard rating of 9.0, making it the highest rated show on Nick. Currently, Spongebob has a standard rating of 8.6. Avatar had only 3 seasons and, as you all know, the first three seasons of SpongeBob were golden. So it got me thinking, what if SpongeBob did end with the movie? Do you think SpongeBob would have been the highest rated show on Nick? If so, can you guys give me your ratings of the show until the movie only, and excluding the post-movie era? Oh yeah, and what do you think would have been the standard rating of the show?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lovepoppies

[2]Apr 30, 2011
    • level: 2
    Personally I think Spongebob will never end!

money3003

[3]Apr 30, 2011
    lovepoppies wrote:
    Personally I think Spongebob will never end!

Maybe.. But I was just wondering about the would-have-been rating of the show. What do you think the standard rating would have been for the show if there never was a post-movie era? Currently, it's 8.6 because there are people who hate the post-movie era while Avatar has 9.0 and with just those 3 seasons.

spongebobfan200

[4]Apr 30, 2011
    • level: 30
    I really don't care about the TV.com ratings.

Yeah, Spongebob's ratings would stay in shape without the whole "SPONGEBOB SUCKS NOW BECAUSE OF THE NEW SEASONS, HURR DURR," kind of thing.

money3003

[5]Apr 30, 2011

As far as I'm concerned I kind of loved season 4 but when I bought season 5 and watched it, I was really disappointed especially toward the end and with all that stupid Atlantis Squarepantis. I've been watching season 6 and it's not really looking good so far. It really seems to have the most potty humor. But it does have some episodes that are good for a while but they get bad toward the end. E.g. Gone. I hated the ending for that episode. Plus, SpongeBob and Patrick are actually getting annoying. But at times they are hilarious though.

K177-K3V1N

[6]Apr 30, 2011
    • level: 3
    money3003 wrote:

I've browsing a lot of shows lately and I noticed that Avatar: The Last Airbender has a standard rating of 9.0, making it the highest rated show on Nick. Currently, Spongebob has a standard rating of 8.6. Avatar had only 3 seasons and, as you all know, the first three seasons of SpongeBob were golden. So it got me thinking, what if SpongeBob did end with the movie? Do you think SpongeBob would have been the highest rated show on Nick? If so, can you guys give me your ratings of the show until the movie only, and excluding the post-movie era? Oh yeah, and what do you think would have been the standard rating of the show?

Some reruns will get boring.

mahesh2001

[7]May 1, 2011
    • level: 11

If the show ended with the movie than everyone would remember spongebob as an awesome show!

mahesh2001

[8]May 1, 2011
    • level: 11

money3003 wrote:

As far as I'm concerned I kind of loved season 4 but when I bought season 5 and watched it, I was really disappointed especially toward the end and with all that stupid Atlantis Squarepantis. I've been watching season 6 and it's not really looking good so far. It really seems to have the most potty humor. But it does have some episodes that are good for a while but they get bad toward the end. E.g. Gone. I hated the ending for that episode. Plus, SpongeBob and Patrick are actually getting annoying. But at times they are hilarious though.

Actually I think all the 90's Nickelodeon shows would not becanceled if spongebob got canceled after the movie and yes i think spongebob would of been the highest rated show if they did end with the movie!!!

fullhans1

[9]May 1, 2011
    • level: 4
    mahesh2001 wrote:

If the show ended with the movie than everyone would remember spongebob as an awesome show!

It's impossible to predict, how (or even if) Spongebob will be remembered years after it will have been ended.

In my opinion most of the old episodes are great. Some of the new are ok, but some are just terrible.

money3003

[10]May 1, 2011

Without a doubt, the Hillenburg era was the best. I do like some of the post-movie episodes, but most of them are just boring, dumb, cliche, and annoying. I also have to admit that some of them are overrated.

Here's my list of good episodes:

1. Fear of a Krabby Patty (this one kind of feels like a season 3 episode)

2. Have You Seen This Snail?

3. Krusty Towers

4. Squidtastic Voyage

5. That's No Lady

6. Best Frenemies

7. Rise and Shine

8. Night Light

9. Spy Buddies

10. Roller Cowards

11. Goo Goo Gas

These were the only ones that I actually like. The ones I've seen in season 6 are horrible and for season 7, overrated.

Hail-the-Whale

[11]May 1, 2011
    • level: 3

I think it's a shame that people use the new episodes, which they don't like, to "cancel out" the outstanding quality of the first 3 seasons. The presence of bad episodes doesn't stop the good episodes being good, if that makes sense. Despite the fall in quality, I still think he deserves a lot more respect than people are willing to give him. As a result of being so popular, he is hated by fans of practically every other animated show.

"It's SpongeBob's fault that Rugrats/Danny Phantom/Invader Zim/My Favourite Nicktoon got cancelled."

"My Favourite Show would have higher ratings if it wasn't for SpongeBob."

Etc, etc. He is very easy to blame, so people tend to use him as a scapegoat.

So in answer to your question, yes, I think SpongeBob would undoubtebly be the highest rated show. As soon as a show gets cancelled, the nostalgia starts and the rose-tinted glasses come out, and I think it's a shame that SpongeBob missed out on that side of things.

doguineta

[12]May 1, 2011
    • level: 20
    More Nicktoons whould have had a chance. You know that era where Nick cancelled sdhows after 1 little season? Spongebob had it's chance to grow, and look at it now.

futuramarama

[14]May 8, 2011
    • level: 37
    if spongebob ended with the movie it would more than likely be more popular, because then it wouldn't have had many 'bad' episodes, like most would say it does now. regardless, when it does end (my current guess is 2013 or so), it will probably be remembered as a 'mostly good show.' i don't think there are many people who still love it as much as they probably used to (one of my friends at school, who is in 11th grade, classifies Spongebob as his favorite show, so maybe i am wrong). I wrote a Facebook note like 2 years ago cause i was bored, about the quality in Spongebob. Not many people responded, but one of my friends said something about 'maybe we're just maturing so we don't like it as much' or something similar, and that might be true. I still like earlier episodes and some later episodes, but it's like, I'm obviously getting older, and so the humor does not appeal to me as much as it did when the show premiered (and i was like 5/6).

So basically, if it ended with the movie, it would probably be remembered as a 'great cartoon.' However, now, when it does end, it will still probably be remembered as a 'mostly good/great' cartoon. Some people probably still love it, or at least like it a lot, so it is kind of hard to judge what the score would be.

money3003

[15]May 8, 2011

futuramarama wrote:
    if spongebob ended with the movie it would more than likely be more popular, because then it wouldn't have had many 'bad' episodes, like most would say it does now. regardless, when it does end (my current guess is 2013 or so), it will probably be remembered as a 'mostly good show.' i don't think there are many people who still love it as much as they probably used to (one of my friends at school, who is in 11th grade, classifies Spongebob as his favorite show, so maybe i am wrong). I wrote a Facebook note like 2 years ago cause i was bored, about the quality in Spongebob. Not many people responded, but one of my friends said something about 'maybe we're just maturing so we don't like it as much' or something similar, and that might be true. I still like earlier episodes and some later episodes, but it's like, I'm obviously getting older, and so the humor does not appeal to me as much as it did when the show premiered (and i was like 5/6). So basically, if it ended with the movie, it would probably be remembered as a 'great cartoon.' However, now, when it does end, it will still probably be remembered as a 'mostly good/great' cartoon. Some people probably still love it, or at least like it a lot, so it is kind of hard to judge what the score would be.

Personally, I don't think it's maturity. I still find a lot of other cartoons hilarious, but I just don't see anything really funny about most of the new episodes. I do chuckle on a few occasions. For other cartoons, I kind of laugh out loud, although not as great as the old SpongeBob did.

I've asked some of my classmates about what they thought of the show. Well, all of them said that the show sucks now, including FOP. A lot of them still watch cartoons. But I have to agree, most of the new episodes suck really bad, even FOP does too.

If the show did end with the movie, I think it would have been rated as Superb. It's way way way way way way way way way WAY better than any other cartoon I've seen in my life. And the movie would have been a great series finale and everything would just feel right. And the would-have-been sad fans would just rate this show highly. Although it's popularity would be gone some time after but it would still remain a big phenomenon that brought life to this world. It WAS one of the few shows where most adults didn't have to be forced to watch with their kids.

startug

[16]Jun 8, 2011
    • level: 23
    Whenever I feel like it, I look at new Spongebob and see the bad quality. Then I look at an old episode that was gold. It isn't maturity that slows us down. If the movie was the last one, I think a lot of people would wonder why it didn't continue, but it'd still have a great way to end it. If the movie was the true ending to the series, I'd perfectly accept the fate of it. The series would probably be more loved if new episodes were not made, unless done by the original writers. Look at Family Guy, it's basically a show being milked for money, and the same goes for the unmentionable spin-off. Futurama came back, and it actually turned out to be like it was never cancelled. It is still funny to this day. The moral: keep the same writers and don't do stuff just for money.

tigerdude22

[17]Jun 9, 2011
    • level: 43
    @spongebobfan: I agree with you, I don't care about the TV.com ratings either... what matters is that I love SpongeBob.

money3003

[18]Jun 9, 2011

I can really imagine what would have happened if it did end with movie. People would say "How can they end such a great show?" or "Nickelodeon is stupid for cancelling SpongeBob when it only had three seasons." or "I miss this show so much and I wish it didn't end." or something similar. Because of the movie, lots of fans signed petitions for the show to continue. You know, it's pretty ironic how most of those fans hate ALL post-movie episodes.

startug

[19]Jun 13, 2011
    • level: 23
    @Money, well, it's because they got more than they bargained for. Nickelodeon knew Spongebob as a very successful money franchise, so they renewed it for another season, yet Hillenburg already was done being Mr. Big-and-in-Charge. They got a new writing team, and that's what happened. If you want to keep doing a show, then put effort in it. That's the moral to it all. I'll still admit as a man, that sometimes a new episode can make me giggle, but never feel the times I had with the old stuff.

Noteldnep

[20]Jun 14, 2011
    • level: 16
    Who knows? The rating COULD be the same as Avatar or better if it had ended with the movie but 8.6 is a great rating for it regardless.