We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

Wouldn't be cool if Spencer's friend Socko actually guest starred in an episode?

pscf3

[41]Aug 10, 2011
    • level: 16
    "Budget Issues"?

No, no. Dan wants the fans to wonder. I think it's a safe bet he is seen near the end of the show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

teenj12

[42]Aug 10, 2011
    • level: 26
    pscf3 wrote:
    "Budget Issues"?

No, no. Dan wants the fans to wonder. I think it's a safe bet he is seen near the end of the show.
    This is the case with MANY tv shows who conceal a mentioned character's identity.

@futurama: Seriously?

schillingklaus

[43]Aug 10, 2011
    • level: 12

No, there's absolutely no need for us to believe in Socko's existence as a real human being.

The socks could be from the internet, like the ties and the car and the penny tees.

Believing in Spencer's words about Socko is recklessly na&iulml;ve.

Overanalysing is absiolutely necessary.

futuramarama

[44]Aug 10, 2011
    • level: 37

[QUOTE="teenj12"]

pscf3 wrote:

yes, seriously.

everything we've been told about Socko could have been a lie. for all we know, Spencer has been making the socks (which some would say 'why would he lie?' idk. why does Spencer do half the stuff he does?), or he gets them from someone who he nick-named Socko but actually has a name like Lionel.

you could ask how Spencer knows so many of 'socko's' cousins and stuff. Spencer's an out-going person. if he wants to do something for his benefit, or the benefit of helping carly and her friends, i could see him asking a stranger for help.

all we have on Socko is Spencer's mentioning of him. that's it. for all we know this was a gag Dan Schneider put in the show to try and mess with people who wondered what Socko would look like. I'm not totally dismissing Socko could be real, because you know... they could easily find an actor to portray him in a future episode. I'm just saying all we have is the mention of his name. we've seen no pictures of him now as an adult or as a kid, and a lot of the things could be to mess with us. i think if Socko does exist, he has a normal name and isn't as crazy as Spencer makes him out to be

Edited on 08/10/2011 10:55am

schillingklaus

[45]Aug 10, 2011

It's also convenient for Spencer to blame bad things happening on Socko, especially in iGo To Japan.

After the freightdog flight and paradrop over Japan, Spencer would not want to boast with having exchanged three first-class tickets for five cheaper ones.

pscf3

[46]Aug 10, 2011
    How would he have found all of "socko"'s relatives?

schillingklaus

[47]Aug 10, 2011

Spencer may easily make up all of Socko's relatives or invent their kinship to his imaginary friend.

vanillacupcakes

[48]Aug 10, 2011
    ^That could happen if he had a friend who is no longer with him. Whether this "friend" left him or passed away, he would no longer be in Spencer's life. Then Spencer replaces the friend with imaginary "Socko", like he did with the girl in iSpace Out. Except Spencer wouldn't be able to "see" him uncontrollably like in iSpace Out. He believes "Socko" exists, yet he doesn't. The socks could be from elsewhere. Or it's an excuse for his sock making hobby like futurama said. I'm not being sarcastic btw.

teenj12

[49]Aug 10, 2011
    [QUOTE="futuramarama"]

teenj12 wrote:
    pscf3 wrote:

yes, seriously.

everything we've been told about Socko could have been a lie. for all we know, Spencer has been making the socks (which some would say 'why would he lie?' idk. why does Spencer do half the stuff he does?), or he gets them from someone who he nick-named Socko but actually has a name like Lionel.

you could ask how Spencer knows so many of 'socko's' cousins and stuff. Spencer's an out-going person. if he wants to do something for his benefit, or the benefit of helping carly and her friends, i could see him asking a stranger for help.

all we have on Socko is Spencer's mentioning of him. that's it. for all we know this was a gag Dan Schneider put in the show to try and mess with people who wondered what Socko would look like. I'm not totally dismissing Socko could be real, because you know... they could easily find an actor to portray him in a future episode. I'm just saying all we have is the mention of his name. we've seen no pictures of him now as an adult or as a kid, and a lot of the things could be to mess with us. i think if Socko does exist, he has a normal name and isn't as crazy as Spencer makes him out to be

Something tells me your just trying to entertain Schilling, the forum troll. What about Sam's mom? She's another always-mentioned character. Did Sam make her up before her appearance in iSam's Mom?

futuramarama

[50]Aug 10, 2011

I'm not trying to entertain the 'forum troll', I'm being legit. that's why i feel weird posting in this thread, because i knew when i posted about socko maybe being imaginary, people would think i was either trolling, or trying to entertain a troll. I'm really not. I really do think there's a chance Spencer made up Socko (or rather, Dan Schneider made him up) to fool with fans who would wonder if he existed or not.

and Sam's mom is completely different. obviously someone gave birth to Sam, so she obviously has a mom (even if her mom had died, or we never saw her, obviously she would have a mom, it doesn't matter if we would never see her. how else would sam have been born?). but we don't know a thing about Socko other than he makes socks. two different things there.

I'm just about done posting in this thread. There's no way people will believe me, and I'm pretty sure some people are thinking I'm trolling (which i'm not, can't stress this enough, but whatever)

Edited on 08/10/2011 2:41pm
    Edited 2 total times.

teenj12

[51]Aug 10, 2011
    futuramarama wrote:

I'm not trying to entertain the 'forum troll', I'm being legit. that's why i feel weird posting in this thread, because i knew when i posted about socko maybe being imaginary, people would think i was either trolling, or trying to entertain a troll. I'm really not. I really do think there's a chance Spencer made up Socko (or rather, Dan Schneider made him up) to fool with fans who would wonder if he existed or not.

and Sam's mom is completely different. obviously someone gave birth to Sam, so she obviously has a mom (even if her mom had died, or we never saw her, obviously she would have a mom, it doesn't matter if we would never see her. how else would sam have been born?). but we don't know a thing about Socko other than he makes socks. two different things there.

I'm just about done posting in this thread. There's no way people will believe me, and I'm pretty sure some people are thinking I'm trolling (which i'm not, can't stress this enough, but whatever)

He likes camping. We know that. Spencer wouldn't lie about where he got those stupid (but funny) socks.

RiciSmokes2

[52]Aug 10, 2011
    • level: 7
    ^ don't leave. I think it's very creative. I never thought about it like that. I hope it's not true, bc I really want to meet Socko and his grandmother.

vanillacupcakes

[53]Aug 10, 2011
    I believe you, futurama. I think that will be one thing Dan will leave us wondering. It's one of the "I believe it when I see it" kind of things. If Socko ever appears and says he is "Socko", then I'll believe it. If not...then I'll never know. He COULD be imaginary(whether Spencer knows it or not). We could think of a million hypotheticals or personal fanons/canons. This is one of them.

futuramarama

[54]Aug 10, 2011
    I honestly don't know if i am debating Socko's existence or his name.

like I'm 98 percent sure if Socko is real, his real name is something like Eddie or something. an actual name. but then again, knowing the wackiness of some of Dan's shows, his name could be Socko.

however, there's also the chance he may or may not exist. we've heard stories and whatnot about him from spencer, but they could be lies (but why would he lie to carly and friends? because it's not a huge deal. it's not like he's lying to them about something that's super important or something they NEED To know or whatever). Spencer could make the socks by himself when he is home alone, and lie to Carly and anyone else, saying his 'friend' Socko made them, when it was him. he's not doing this to be a jerk, he'd be doing this as an extended practical joke. i mean, i could totally see him doing that. like, in an episode where he announces 'Socko' is going to visit, and at the end Carly wonders where he was and Spencer's like 'Psych! Haha. There is no Socko. Come on. It was me all along!' (this would only work if Carly or no one else had met socko before).

I mean, there obviously is a chance Spencer is telling the truth and Socko is real, but IMO it would be a lot funnier if Spencer was lying about it the whole time. Not to be mean, but just to fool people (the people on the show and the audience watching)

vanillacupcakes

[55]Aug 10, 2011
    Spencer isn't really that good at lying though. Do you remember when he tried to "lie" about turning in the video on time?? I guess he IS good at pranking, and sometimes you have to lie to pull them off...but in that one episode he couldn't lie(he's mentioned Socko since iPilot right). If he doesn't exist, Spencer has convinced himself he's real somehow so it's natural to say rather than an excuse(does that sound weird?).

All the names could be nicknames, but I think it's funnier that Socko has this awesome family who knows their kids' careers once they're born and names them names based on their future professions.(Yeah, I know that's a run-on sentence).

futuramarama

[56]Aug 10, 2011
    it would seem, to me, that he's mostly just bad at lying when he knows there'd be consequences. like, when carly tells freddie and sam about him lying to Ms. Briggs about going to the doctor, it could be he was worried his sister (or him too) would get in trouble for ditching school. and when he cracked down in the video store; he thought he would be in trouble and owe the store all the money the letter he got said. in situations where you know there would be consequences, it's often harder to lie. on the subject of Socko, there wouldn't be any consequences if he was lying about Socko's existence. there would be no trouble for him or anyone else, so maybe he is capable of lying when there is no worry about it (As opposed to the dr. rollercoaster and the video store). so i think he is capable of lying, but in some situations it is hard for him, because he is generally a good, caring guy (and lying isn't something people like that do, but if it is for an elaborate practical joke, it doesn't matter as much because it is all in good fun).

teenj12

[57]Aug 10, 2011
    I just can't believe he'd think Spencer would "lie" about Socko.

pscf3

[59]Aug 10, 2011
    coughovercoughanalzationcough

futuramarama

[60]Aug 10, 2011

i'm so sorry for trying to bring something NEW to discussions by questioning the existence of a character we have never seen and only have to take the word of one of the character's in the show that this other character exists. it was my mistake of trying to bring a new discussion to the fore front, and believe me, i will NEVER make such a foolish mistake again

Edited on 08/10/2011 4:44pm