We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

Sam Puckett is worse than Lucy Van Pelt

Tkerekes13

[1]Nov 27, 2010
    • level: 29

I don't know how many of you may agree or disagree, but I'm coming out and saying that I believe that Sam Puckett is a whole lot worse than Lucy Van Pelt of Peanuts fame. When you really think about it, Lucy has a bit of a heart in her when she knows whatever is the right thing to do, which is more than I can say for Sam, because as far I'm concerned, Sam doesn't seem to have enough room in her heart for everybody, which makes her attitude even less justifiable than Lucy's. Plus, I think that Sam should get her comeuppance sooner or later, eventhough Lucy did get her comeuppance years before getting beat up by Peter and Lois on Family Guy. But with all that aside, I strongly believe that Lucy is a saint compared to Sam. Anybody agree with me?

Edited on 11/27/2010 11:07am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Canada_Michael

[2]Nov 29, 2010
    • level: 10

Sam is far worse then Lucy because as far as I know CB and her didn't hang out all that much, she was usually there as part of a larger group. Freddie on the other hand can't avoid Sam because if he wants to hang around Carly he must tolerate Sam because she's always there. Lucy bugs CB but I don't think she ever became physically violent, the football thing doesn't count because CB fell for the same thing over & over

_Flutterlight_

[3]Nov 29, 2010
    • level: 15
    While it's true that Lucy is not quite that mean to Charlie Brown, it's impossible to say she's not as bad as Sam when you look at the way Lucy treats Linus, her own flesh and blood.

Lucy punches Linus on numerous occasions, knocks him over with a moving television set, gives his room to a stray dog, and even kicks him out of the house! She even says to his face that she never wanted him to be born. (And then tries to replace him with Snoopy dressed up in baby clothes in an effort to out-do Charlie Brown after Sally is born).

That's a heck of a lot meaner than anything Sam does to Freddy.

Also, Lucy does physically hurt Charlie Brown in ways other than the football. She body-checks him in golf. And punches him at least once.

teenj12

[4]Dec 1, 2010
    • level: 26

_Flutterlight_ wrote:
    While it's true that Lucy is not quite that mean to Charlie Brown, it's impossible to say she's not as bad as Sam when you look at the way Lucy treats Linus, her own flesh and blood. Lucy punches Linus on numerous occasions, knocks him over with a moving television set, gives his room to a stray dog, and even kicks him out of the house! She even says to his face that she never wanted him to be born. (And then tries to replace him with Snoopy dressed up in baby clothes in an effort to out-do Charlie Brown after Sally is born). That's a heck of a lot meaner than anything Sam does to Freddy. Also, Lucy does physically hurt Charlie Brown in ways other than the football. She body-checks him in golf. And punches him at least once.

Sam's just as bad. She:

Electrocuted Freddie's Neck (That is very dangerous)

Beat him with a tennis racket

and Threw him off a plane/jet

_Flutterlight_

[5]Dec 1, 2010
    The thinks Lucy did, (kicking Linus out of his own house), could have killed her brother too. And they would have killed him slowly, in a more painful way too. He could have died of hypothermia, been kidnapped and murdered, kidnapped and sexually assaulted and murdered, died of starvation, etc.

Besides, if it was really that bad, wouldn't Freddy just stop hanging around her and Carly? He can always leave, like he did in that one episode where he and Sam kissed.

Linus can't leave. He lives in the same house as Lucy, even though she verbally abuses her brother constantly. Do you know how damaging it is to have your own sister tell you she wishes you were never born?

teenj12

[6]Dec 1, 2010
    _Flutterlight_ wrote:
    The thinks Lucy did, (kicking Linus out of his own house), could have killed her brother too. And they would have killed him slowly, in a more painful way too. He could have died of hypothermia, been kidnapped and murdered, kidnapped and sexually assaulted and murdered, died of starvation, etc.

Besides, if it was really that bad, wouldn't Freddy just stop hanging around her and Carly? He can always leave, like he did in that one episode where he and Sam kissed.

Linus can't leave. He lives in the same house as Lucy, even though she verbally abuses her brother constantly. Do you know how damaging it is to have your own sister tell you she wishes you were never born?

Strong points, but just know Freddie keeps hanging around her and Carly because he is friends with Carly. And yes, it really is that bad for Freddie. Did you not see when he picked up a knife and thought about killing himself?

kurain

[7]Dec 2, 2010
    • level: 4

teenj12 wrote:
    _Flutterlight_ wrote:
    The thinks Lucy did, (kicking Linus out of his own house), could have killed her brother too. And they would have killed him slowly, in a more painful way too. He could have died of hypothermia, been kidnapped and murdered, kidnapped and sexually assaulted and murdered, died of starvation, etc. Besides, if it was really that bad, wouldn't Freddy just stop hanging around her and Carly? He can always leave, like he did in that one episode where he and Sam kissed. Linus can't leave. He lives in the same house as Lucy, even though she verbally abuses her brother constantly. Do you know how damaging it is to have your own sister tell you she wishes you were never born?
    Strong points, but just know Freddie keeps hanging around her and Carly because he is friends with Carly. And yes, it really is that bad for Freddie. Did you not see when he picked up a knife and thought about killing himself?
    Huh. I always thought it was Sam he was thinking of stabbing in that episode.

teenj12

[8]Dec 3, 2010
    kurain wrote:

teenj12 wrote:
    _Flutterlight_ wrote:
    The thinks Lucy did, (kicking Linus out of his own house), could have killed her brother too. And they would have killed him slowly, in a more painful way too. He could have died of hypothermia, been kidnapped and murdered, kidnapped and sexually assaulted and murdered, died of starvation, etc. Besides, if it was really that bad, wouldn't Freddy just stop hanging around her and Carly? He can always leave, like he did in that one episode where he and Sam kissed. Linus can't leave. He lives in the same house as Lucy, even though she verbally abuses her brother constantly. Do you know how damaging it is to have your own sister tell you she wishes you were never born?
    Huh. I always thought it was Sam he was thinking of stabbing in that episode.

I'm not sure who he wanted to stab, but either way, he WAS ready to stab someone.

saylavee

[9]Dec 4, 2010
    • level: 18
    Personally, I dont think you should compare the actions of a 15 to year to the actions of an 8 year old.

gideonbernstein

[10]Dec 5, 2010
    • level: 45
    At least Sam is the way she is because she is raised in poverty by a family of criminals who hardly care about her. Lucy has no excuse at all.

Sam torment Freddie because he is a nice guy, and she once said that nice irritates her. She is only friends with Carly because Carly is the one person as though as she is, and even Carly often wonders she she is friends with her.

_Flutterlight_

[11]Dec 5, 2010
    If you look at what the character's actual purpose in their respective TV show / comic strips, you can actually see that Sam's behavior is more comic relief, while Lucy is just plain mean.

A lot of the stuff Sam does is specifically just to be funny in the show. Most of the time they play the laugh track right after Sam smacks Freddie with something.

When Lucy hits Linus, it's almost always before the joke. She hits her brother, and THEN he says something that's supposed to be funny.

So what Sam does isn't meant to be taken seriously. With Lucy, it is, and that makes her a heck of a lot meaner than Sam.

teenj12

[12]Dec 5, 2010
    _Flutterlight_ wrote:
    If you look at what the character's actual purpose in their respective TV show / comic strips, you can actually see that Sam's behavior is more comic relief, while Lucy is just plain mean.

A lot of the stuff Sam does is specifically just to be funny in the show. Most of the time they play the laugh track right after Sam smacks Freddie with something.

When Lucy hits Linus, it's almost always before the joke. She hits her brother, and THEN he says something that's supposed to be funny.

So what Sam does isn't meant to be taken seriously. With Lucy, it is, and that makes her a heck of a lot meaner than Sam.
    That's a good point.

vanillacupcakes

[13]Dec 5, 2010
    • level: 16

Going back to the stabbing thing, I found it surprising he would think of stabbing somebody at that particular moment. She's done a hell lot worse than joke around about him having no friends. I actually found it the funniest line from Sam in the episode. Either it must have been a bad day or it's the 4 years of abuse built up inside of him and he exploded(well sort of exploded).

About pushing him off the plane: Everybody was jumping out anyways. He had a parachute and it was the only way to get Mrs. Benson to jump out.

Everything else I agree with, yes it's mean. After everything Megan did to Drake and Josh(even she made them jump off a plane and electrocuted Josh), I don't take the violence in Dan's shows seriously. The other thing that doesn't make me feel sympathetic for Freddie is that Carly, Spencer, and the other characters don't care. They are just "oh okay Freddie got beat up again, nbd" so I act the same way. It's not as if they don't care about Freddie; they all freaked out when he got hurt getting hit by the taco truck. I just assume he's fine, which is probably cold hearted of me. -_- Hey, I'm a Sam/Seddie fan, I'm partially biased. At least I know thatelectrocuting somebodyisobviously not okay, norindicates "true love".Ifit was real life I would probably get furious at Sam, but sincetheyexaggerate everything and do crazy violent things all the time Idon't care.

hardcorefakes

[14]Dec 5, 2010
    • level: 7
    vanillacupcakes wrote:

Going back to the stabbing thing, I found it surprising he would think of stabbing somebody at that particular moment. She's done a hell lot worse than joke around about him having no friends. I actually found it the funniest line from Sam in the episode. Either it must have been a bad day or it's the 4 years of abuse built up inside of him and he exploded(well sort of exploded).

About pushing him off the plane: Everybody was jumping out anyways. He had a parachute and it was the only way to get Mrs. Benson to jump out.

Everything else I agree with, yes it's mean. After everything Megan did to Drake and Josh(even she made them jump off a plane and electrocuted Josh), I don't take the violence in Dan's shows seriously. The other thing that doesn't make me feel sympathetic for Freddie is that Carly, Spencer, and the other characters don't care. They are just "oh okay Freddie got beat up again, nbd" so I act the same way. It's not as if they don't care about Freddie; they all freaked out when he got hurt getting hit by the taco truck. I just assume he's fine, which is probably cold hearted of me. -_- Hey, I'm a Sam/Seddie fan, I'm partially biased. At least I know thatelectrocuting somebodyisobviously not okay, norindicates "true love".Ifit was real life I would probably get furious at Sam, but sincetheyexaggerate everything and do crazy violent things all the time Idon't care.

becuase it was meant to be funny doesnt mean its funny. oh and yeah, because somebody's mother refuses to jump that gives you EVERY right to push somebody out of a plane.... and then have the audacity to say that "well, if iz didnt push yuzz outzz of teh planeZ, YOUr M0m wold havent JUMPz!" what if freddie didnt know how to work the parchute (IF)? think about it. i know if some bully whos been bullying because of her personal issues pushes me out of a plane because my mom wouldnt jump..... lord have mercy.

teenj12

[15]Dec 5, 2010
    hardcorefakes wrote:
    vanillacupcakes wrote:

becuase it was meant to be funny doesnt mean its funny. oh and yeah, because somebody's mother refuses to jump that gives you EVERY right to push somebody out of a plane.... and then have the audacity to say that "well, if iz didnt push yuzz outzz of teh planeZ, YOUr M0m wold havent JUMPz!" what if freddie didnt know how to work the parchute (IF)? think about it. i know if some bully whos been bullying because of her personal issues pushes me out of a plane because my mom wouldnt jump..... lord have mercy.
    I agree.

Canada_Michael

[16]Dec 5, 2010
    vanillacupcakes wrote:

I think Carly & Spencer care but really it's up to Freddie to speak up. If Carly was to stand up to Sam every time she was mean to Freddie Freddie wouldn't appreciate it, it would make him look like a wimp.

teenj12

[17]Dec 6, 2010
    Canada_Michael wrote:
    vanillacupcakes wrote:

I think Carly & Spencer care but really it's up to Freddie to speak up. If Carly was to stand up to Sam every time she was mean to Freddie Freddie wouldn't appreciate it, it would make him look like a wimp.
    It would help Freddie. It doesn't hurt to be helped.

Canada_Michael

[18]Dec 6, 2010

Carly is far from perfect when it comes to protecting Freddie from Sam but she can't do it all the time, even if she wanted to. Freddie would have it far worse at school especially if other people found out Carly was protecting him from Sam, & Sam would more then likely tell everyone she could. The one time I think Carly should no concern for Freddie was when he was knocked out by Spencer doing exercises. This was the episode where he was using the phone app to exercise, & Carly didn't go to check on Freddie but instead joined in on the jumping around.

_Flutterlight_

[19]Dec 8, 2010
    I've noticed, a lot of the "incidents" you guys have been pointing out are things that were meant to be jokes. But you're missing a crucial part to Sam's character: 85% or more of what she does is meant to be for comic relief.

Sam isn't a "plot" character. She's never the one to set up the joke. That's either Carly or Freddie's job. Seriously, the laugh track plays for Sam WAY more often than it does for Carly and Freddie.

You can't count the stuff Sam does for a joke. That's exaggerated for the purpose of being funny. (Emphasis on EXAGGERATED). It's not rational behavior. It's contrary to what is expected of that person, because that's how you write a joke. You make somebody do something that's unexpected. (Like Carly not helping Freddie).

The reason you can't count jokes is because what's unexpected is going to change. Like how Drake's stupidity slowly got more and more pronounced throughout Drake and Josh. He clearly was not THAT inherently stupid, as seen in "Drake and Josh Really Big Shrimp" when he berates Josh for signing a contract without reading it first. It takes a certain level of intelligence to know to do that. The writers played up his idiocy for the show.

Now, the thing about Lucy is that Lucy's actions are NOT played up for jokes. Lucy's actions set up the jokes in Peanuts, whether it's her punching Charlie Brown in the nose, or her throwing Linus out of his house. The strip starts, Lucy does something incredibly mean, and THEN you get the punch line.

Tkerekes13

[20]Dec 12, 2010
    • level: 29

teenj12 wrote:
    _Flutterlight_ wrote:
    If you look at what the character's actual purpose in their respective TV show / comic strips, you can actually see that Sam's behavior is more comic relief, while Lucy is just plain mean. A lot of the stuff Sam does is specifically just to be funny in the show. Most of the time they play the laugh track right after Sam smacks Freddie with something. When Lucy hits Linus, it's almost always before the joke. She hits her brother, and THEN he says something that's supposed to be funny. So what Sam does isn't meant to be taken seriously. With Lucy, it is, and that makes her a heck of a lot meaner than Sam.
    That's a good point.
    I disagree 100%. I just don't see Sam as comic relief. Sure, Lucy is just plain mean, but I think it's really hypocritical how they take something serious like a sympathetic character getting hurt for no good reason and turn it into something "humorous". Has that ever crossed your mind?

Furthermore, you say that all the mean things that Sam does aren't meant to be taken seriously. Well, that probably proves that you don't have any sympathy for Freddie. Of course, it's more than I can say for Charlie Brown, because as far as I'm concerned, occasionally Charlie Brown himself is the cause of his own misery, so that makes Sam a heck of a lot meaner than Lucy.

Also, regarding the laugh track, it's almost like the people who work on this show are on crack or something. I'm not saying they are, though.

Point is, Flutterlight, you are, in my honest opinion, 100% wrong. Please don't take any offense.

Edited on 12/12/2010 6:51am