We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

Official iCarly and Disney Shows Discussion

liliceyblue

[241]Jun 17, 2010
    • level: 2

Note: any Disney references I make are about the TV network of today. Not the old days nor the old movies. I love me some classic disney movies!

The difference between iCarly and Disney? The writers of iCarly (and probably other nick shows, though I only watch iCarly) did their research.

Disney is way too dumbed down. It takes its audience for mindless absorbent sponges, or in other words, idiots. Like there's always a moral of the story, no one says anything offensive and if they do, well DARN THEM TO HECK! < my point exactly. It's not real in the slightest. In real life, there isn't always a moral. Protagonists CAN be mean, there isn't always a happy ending. People do insult each other and *gasp* get away with it. The Disney that is supposedly for tweens/teens makes me want to puke. No tween is that stupid to buy into that. (I'm not saying their stupid for liking it, everyone's entitled to like what they want of course. I'm just saying, they don't drink the kool-aid. They know better.)

An another note, the acting is quite bad. I'm not sure if it's the writers' fault and the actors are doing the best they can with it or what, but whatever it is, it isn't working. Hannah Montana...the only person I was mildly impressed by was Emily Osment, and even then it could've been the writing (although I sincerely doubt it -- Emily's probably just good at comedy). I don't even think Miley is that bad of an actress in OTHER things. But in HM its horrible. Which again, makes me think it's more of a writing issue then an acting one. The only person I don't get annoyed by is Emily's character, so whether its the writers or actress doing a good job with her, kudos. It's the only redeeming quality I can see.

There's no hidden jokes for the adults to enjoy on HM. iCarly is filled to the brim with them. Makes it fun for those of us out of our kid stage

Point is, iCarly feels real. The actors make it convincing and the writing is just right. When Carly laughs in amusement at Spencer doing something silly or Sam smirks and wittily insults Freddie: it feels real. It doesn't feel forced. Don't get me wrong, iCarly isn't actually REALISTIC, and that's not what I'm trying to say. Of course it's not, it's far from reality. However, you can feel like you're watching the characters interact, not watching actors reading through their lines.

Despite what I've said about actors (and I do wholeheartedly think that iCarly actors are better...though I could be biased), I think it really does come down to writing and directing. There are probably better actors on Disney than we think -- they just can't show it with the crappy material they get.

Not meant to insult any Disney fans, really. Just sharing my opinion. Everyone can like what they want to like

Edited on 06/16/2010 11:33pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

schillingklaus

[243]Jun 17, 2010
    • level: 12

Real life is perverse and pointless to the core, and it can't be used as an argument.

Only stereotypical ideals are worthy of making it into literature.

liliceyblue

[244]Jun 17, 2010
    • level: 2
    What I meant by that was that the way the dialogue and situations are written...they feel like actual people. Like there is an actual dynamic between the characters. If that makes sense, which honestly, it might not haha.

But I agree on the stereotypical ideals. The reason they even exist is because of the literature they have existed in for many years. I believe every work of fiction has them to some extent. And actually, so does real life. There are a lot of crazy stereotypes in iCarly, of course. It's a sitcom. Every sitcom has stereotypes and cliches. Not what I was talking about by feeling real

vanillacupcakes

[245]Jun 17, 2010
    • level: 16

frontman19 wrote:

vanillacupcakes wrote:

but have OK music.

You said what now!? I agreed with the horrible actresses and horrible shows thing but OK music? Really? That stuff is so processed it makes Glee look legitimate. That said, I love the Disney Corporation, their animated movies were a huge part of my childhood, but the TV shows on the Disney Channel are a disgrace that would have Walt Disney rolling over in his grave. Just my opinion (However it is extremely biased seeing as I am not a pre-tween boy)

Haha, I was trying to be nice(sorta). I agree, it isn't good. It's decent enough to play on the radio with the other bad music with a good beat. I actually like those kind of songs though. Yeah, they can't really sing very well, but I prefer listening to their song rather than watchtheir show. You can edit the chiz out of their bad singing but there's not much you can do to hide their bad acting. I do listen to someincredibly autotuned Miley/Selena songs and I do think Demi is pretty talented at singing, even if she does scream too much. For me OK means tolerable for me, which doesn't say too much. I listen to a lot of good songs butI like over synthesized chiz too.But yeah, I would assume a pre-teen guy(or any guy really) wouldn't want to listen to ANY of that. Haha.

^Chiz? I've been watching too much iCarly....

Edited on 06/17/2010 8:14pm

nicknameless101

[246]Jun 26, 2010
    • level: 25

Honestly, I like both iCarly and the Disney shows equally.

marcdragicevic

[247]Jul 18, 2010
    • level: 21
    schillingklaus wrote:

Real life is perverse and pointless to the core, and it can't be used as an argument.

Only stereotypical ideals are worthy of making it into literature.

You have got to be kidding me.