We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

How do you define a shipping "moment"?

iCarlyFan101

[1]Aug 3, 2010
    • level: 3

I am just curious as to what everyone out there considers to be a shipping "moment". I see a lot of people talking about Seddie or Creddie "moments", but what are they really? In my opinion, there have only been a few true moments for each ship, i.e. those that are NOT left open to our own interpretation of the situation or to what we may perceive as a significant moment for a ship. They are the ones that show a progression of their relationship – even if it is only on the basic friendship level.

True Seddie Moments:

iKiss – Sam and Freddie share their first kiss with each other.
    iReunite with Missy – Sam swallows her pride and goes to Freddie for help; after his initial reluctance, he realizes he does value his friendship with Sam and gives up the chance to study at sea.
    iSaved Your Life – Sam is concerned Freddie will get hurt by Carly if Carly really feels how Sam thinks she does about Freddie; Freddie takes her opinion to heart.

True Creddie Moments:

It has been stated several times in various episodes that Freddie has had a crush on Carly.
    iLike Jake - Carly kisses Freddie on the nose.
    iThink They Kissed – Carly is upset Freddie won't tell her what happened between him and Sam and is obviously feeling betrayed by both him and Sam.
    iSpeed Date – Carly and Freddie share a dance at the Groovy Smoothie to end their awful nights on a high note.
    iSaved Your Life – Carly kisses Freddie; Carly displays some obvious jealousy when another girl is trying to come on to Freddie; Carly gives Freddie a poignant kiss on the cheek for their final kiss.

But so many people consider coincidental placement of the characters as a "moment" when really, they are just that – coincidental. When I stand next to someone just because we happen to be in the same vicinity, does that mean I am having a "moment" with that person? Not very likely. Even if there are several people in the room, just because I am standing closer to one person than to the others most likely means no more than we both just happened to pick that spot because it was there.

Also, little interactions between characters that would be normal for any friendship are somehow turned into one of these "moments". I poke, touch, nudge and tease my friends all the time – none of whom I have any interest in other than friendship. And none of these interactions are designed to alter our relationship. That's not to say that people don't do things like this, especially when they are crushing on someone, but, again, that would be something that is open to interpretation so I wouldn't consider it to be a true "moment". Or else it would then be fair to say that every ship out there has an abundance of "moments".

I feel like a lot of shippers out there are seeing what they want to see in the most irrelevant things. (And I'm not gonna lie – I often get giddy when my ships interact with each other but I know deep down that I am seeing way more than is actually there and reading far to into it.) But, I could be wrong. And if I am, then Dan Schneider is a far more superior genius than I already think he is, putting all these extremely subtle allusions to a ship in there.

I realize not everyone will agree with me – but that's why I would like to hear other opinions on what constitutes a "moment".

Edited on 08/03/2010 5:06pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pugpupies88

[2]Aug 3, 2010
    • level: 2

Believe me, you're not wrong at all. Most shipping fans are completely deluded by their ships and think that any interaction between the two characters is a shipping moment.

Not trying to rag on a particular ship here, but since I see more people for Seddie, I see a lot of their delusions posted.

"Oh wow! Freddie handed Sam a glass of water, it's true love!"

"Did you notice that Sam and Freddie are standing next to each other? SEDDIE!"

I've even seen some of the extreme Seddies dissect the dang promo pictures for hints of shipping. Yes, PROMO pictures. Some actually have the nerve to get upset at the fact that Freddie may have his arm around Carly, or vice versa. It's just ridiculous sometimes.

Again, I'm not trying to rag on the general idea of Seddie, just the extremists who are psycho about everything!

pscf3

[3]Aug 3, 2010
    • level: 16
    I don't really think there is a set definition for a "moment". There are defiantly more than you posted above though.

iCarlyFan101

[4]Aug 3, 2010
    pscf3 wrote:
    I don't really think there is a set definition for a "moment". There are defiantly more than you posted above though.

I would love to know more. I knew it was possible I may have missed a couple but I couldn't think of any more.

MusicAddictBabe

[5]Aug 3, 2010
    • level: 18
    I think it mainly depends on the person. Like, people over-analyze...a lot.

What I consider a shipping "moment" is a moment where the two do something together, for each other, or something like that. Like, what you posted as Seddie and Creddie moments, that's almost perfect, imo. Seddie being where Sam and Freddie get along in some way. Creddie being any of the countless times the two have kissed in some way.

arnoldmcguire

[6]Aug 3, 2010
    • level: 12

I have to agree with the 1st and 2nd posts, they are true in any way, in fact, it does annoy me if seddiers are seeing one little thing and call it a "Seddie Moment" when the truth it's just a little thing not to make something big at.

Despite being a Creddie shipper, I never go the same route Seddie shippers go, as Creddiers seem to be more calm and collected (and disciplined), and not jumping to conclusions.

Edited on 08/03/2010 10:00pm

sockstar

[7]Aug 3, 2010
    • level: 12
    Those moments in the OP are basically what I see as the "true" shippy moments, obviously though I see the Seddie ones as developing their friendship, and not a potential relationship (I just don't see how Freddie has any potential feelings for Sam). The Seddie kiss has repeatedly been said to have not meant anything more than "just a kiss", and the other 2 'moments' had no romantic subtext at all. Just friendship.

Obviously Seddie fans will disagree.

I also include iFight Shelby Marx, with Carly starting to develop a little jealously when Freddie talks about how hot Shelby is.

But that's about it, for actual 'shipping moments', at least those involving the characters themselves.

pscf3

[8]Aug 4, 2010
    Sockstar said one, there was a creddie moment in iFight Shelby Marx when Carly seemed Jelous when she found out Freddie had a crush on Shelby Marx.

iCarlyFan101 wrote:
    pscf3 wrote:

I would love to know more. I knew it was possible I may have missed a couple but I couldn't think of any more.

frontman19

[9]Aug 4, 2010
    • level: 14

arnoldmcguire wrote:

I have to agree with the 1st and 2nd posts, they are true in any way, in fact, it does annoy me if seddiers are seeing one little thing and call it a "Seddie Moment" when the truth it's just a little thing not to make something big at.

Despite being a Creddie shipper, I never go the same route Seddie shippers go, as Creddiers seem to be more calm and collected (and disciplined), and not jumping to conclusions.

Just playing the devils advocate here, but have you seen the Creddie page on iCarly wikia, the people who edit it are nutjobs.

I mean iGot A Hot room had no moments at all, yet they come up with stuff like...

• When Carly leaves to the Groovy Smoothie, Freddie wishes her "good luck", and Carly says, "Thanks"

• One of Carly's new pillows says Ointment 500 and Freddie's mom talks about his ointment all the time.

• Only Carly and Freddie's room have been seen so far besides Spencer's briefly.

But yes I agree, Carly/Freddie shippers are usually more levelheaded than Sam/Freddie shippers, I mean it is the safer choice. And after looking whatever moron edited the Seddie page, they aren't really helping my counterargument much...

for example

• Also, note that "chicken" could be Sam's code name for Freddie.

• Sam and Freddie sip their smoothies at the same time.

• When Freddie demonstrates the touch-pad for the closet, he has purple paint on his hands.

Edited on 08/04/2010 7:33am
    Edited 2 total times.

pscf3

[10]Aug 4, 2010
    The people on the wikia are nutjobs. They think that Gibby's name is Charles Corlinious Gibson. Even though it's been said on the show, by Noah Munch, and by Dan that his name is Gibby Corlinious Gibson .

That's why I hardly ever go on the wikia because I get mad at all the nut jobs.

frontman19 wrote:

arnoldmcguire wrote:

Just playing the devils advocate here, but have you seen the Creddie page on iCarly wikia, the people who edit it are nutjobs.

I mean iGot A Hot room had no moments at all, yet they come up with stuff like...

• When Carly leaves to the Groovy Smoothie, Freddie wishes her "good luck", and Carly says, "Thanks"

• One of Carly's new pillows says Ointment 500 and Freddie's mom talks about his ointment all the time.

• Only Carly and Freddie's room have been seen so far besides Spencer's briefly.

But yes I agree, Carly/Freddie shippers are usually more levelheaded than Sam/Freddie shippers, I mean it is the safer choice. And after looking whatever moron edited the Seddie page, they aren't really helping my counterargument much...

for example

• Also, note that "chicken" could be Sam's code name for Freddie.

• Sam and Freddie sip their smoothies at the same time.

• When Freddie demonstrates the touch-pad for the closet, he has purple paint on his hands.

saylavee

[11]Aug 4, 2010

Well, I guess what's a shipping moment is in the opinion of the viewer. And yes, there are many insane Seddie fans, but dont deny that there are insane Creddie fans, because there are, just not as many.

Also, pscf, if you can say that Carly was jealous of Freddie in iFSM (which can be left to interpretation), then i can say Sam was jealous during the Creddie dance in iSP (which, apparently, it also up to interpretation) Hehe, speaking of which, do you guys remember the fights we had over that one scene? I remember me and someone else had a whole argument over PMs. Then we realized we werent talking about the same reasons for it being/not being

And yes, those wikia people are nutjobs, all across the fandom. I think thats where the insane Creddie fans lurk, since thats really one of the few places you see them. Insane Seddie fans however never hold back on their opinions (which i wish they would sometimes...gives shippers a bad name)

Edited on 08/04/2010 9:22am

pscf3

[12]Aug 4, 2010
    You're right, it depends on the interpatation, Dan commented on both of those, so I think that they were supposed to be "moments".

saylavee wrote:

Well, I guess what's a shipping moment is in the opinion of the viewer. And yes, there are many insane Seddie fans, but dont deny that there are insane Creddie fans, because there are, just not as many.

Also, pscf, if you can say that Carly was jealous of Freddie in iFSM (which can be left to interpretation), then i can say Sam was jealous during the Creddie dance in iSP (which, apparently, it also up to interpretation) Hehe, speaking of which, do you guys remember the fights we had over that one scene? I remember me and someone else had a whole argument over PMs. Then we realized we werent talking about the same reasons for it being/not being

And yes, those wikia people are nutjobs, all across the fandom. I think thats where the insane Creddie fans lurk, since thats really one of the few places you see them. Insane Seddie fans however never hold back on their opinions (which i wish they would sometimes...gives shippers a bad name)

MusicAddictBabe

[13]Aug 4, 2010

Kinda like I said (at first).

Ignore the ranting/rambling below unless you promise you won't get mad at me for it. It refers to Seddie/Creddie fights. You'll have to highlight it....

Dudes, this wasn't a thread for fighting. And anyway, how many times do we (some of us, that is) Seddie-shippers have to tell you...not all of us are like that. Sure, I'm not completely a Seddie-lover, but I don't wanna be thought of as one of those who are "overly-dramatic." If it evens it out even a little bit, whenever I go to the Creddie thread, all that's talked about is something about the "Seddiers," and anytime I'm at the Seddie thread, all that's said is something over-analysed. And that's when they're both on topic. Please, for the love of might, please don't argue on about this. Because I'm not entirely right. No one ever is. I just don't wanna come back here in the future and read a bunch of messages against me.

Anyway, I totally agree, Saylavee.

Edited on 08/04/2010 2:52pm

pscf3

[14]Aug 4, 2010
    Who was fighting?

MusicAddictBabe wrote:
    Kinda like I said (at first).

Dudes, this wasn't a thread for fighting. And anyway, how many times do we (some of us, that is) Seddie-shippers have to tell you...not all of us are like that. Sure, I'm not completely a Seddie-lover, but I don't wanna be thought of as one of those who are "overly-dramatic." If it evens it out even a little bit, whenever I go to the Creddie thread, all that's talked about is something about the "Seddiers," and anytime I'm at the Seddie thread, all that's said is something over-analysed. And that's when they're both on topic.

Please, for the love of might, please don't argue on about this. Because I'm not entirely right. No one ever is. I just don't wanna come back here in the future and read a bunch of messages against me.

Anyway, I totally agree, Saylavee.

MusicAddictBabe

[15]Aug 4, 2010
    IIIIII......don't know. I'm not really sure why I ranted about that. Guess the heat (no, litterally heat..it's like 90 degrees here) was getting to me. Sorry bout that, folks.

iCarlyFan101

[16]Aug 4, 2010

saylavee wrote:

Hence the reason I didn't list either in myOP- they are open to your own interpretation. I have my own theories about each but that doesn't mean someone else will see it a different way.

vanillacupcakes

[17]Aug 4, 2010

I confess...I count any moment between two people squealthat make me think "That's so cute!" as a moment, whether it is Creddie or Seddie. Iam a hardcore Seddie fan, but Ialso smile at certain moments between Carly and Freddie thatdon't really mean anything. I also count almost any interaction between Sam and Spencer as a Spam moment, because I'm a partial Spam shipper. However, I do know that they aren't "clues" or "evidence" to say they are meant to be together. I've seen many stupid Creddie and Seddie shippers who thinks Dan likes a particular ship just because he puts moments in. Well they are mostly Seddiers, butI've seen somecrazy Creddiers too. For example, when Freddie pushes Sam out of the way in iMust Have Locker 239, there are all these comments saying "Dan sooooo ships Seddie! They are going to be together, just look at how cute that was!"Sometimes it's just ridiculous.I still classify almost anything as a moment. However,2 people being next to each other orCarly's room being purple(the Seddie color) is NOT a moment. Geeez.

pscf3

[18]Aug 4, 2010
    It's 104 here, 90 is nothing.

@vanillacupcakes, seddie has a color?

That is insane. I don't mean to be rude, but a couple having a color? That show the insanity of some shippers.

No offense the the seddiers.

MusicAddictBabe wrote:
    IIIIII......don't know. I'm not really sure why I ranted about that. Guess the heat (no, litterally heat..it's like 90 degrees here) was getting to me. Sorry bout that, folks.

charmed4eva112

[19]Aug 4, 2010
    • level: 20

Ok, yes, I do agree with most of you (finally, a debate which I have an opinion on!). Yes, some of us Seddiers can get crazy. The Schwab anyone? But the thing is, anything can be defined as a 'moment'. The debate that comes into question is whether it is a big moment or a small moment. Ok, sometimes, people can go over the top with shipping through the example of the Seddie/Creddie wikia 'facts'. But then there are some of us that are level headed and sure, some moments that we consider to be a shipping moment can be over the top, but it makes it fun for us to randomly find an innocent look, nudge or smile towards our shipping preference and declare it a moment. Deep down, some of us know it's not really an official 'moment', but an unofficial one. Yeah, I'm not making any sense. But basically, some moments are official, and others are just interpretive moments.

Some Seddiers go over the top, yes, but aren't there Creddiers that do the same? I've read on some other forums of Seddiers bashing Creddiers and visa versa, when in reality, both sides do have their 'moments', big or small. I don't count standing beside each other a moment, but I do count small looks, glances, nudges and smiles because, for some ships, like Seddie, you don't get as many moments as the obvious ships, like Creddie, so we go over the top sometimes just for hope. But no, I think there are certain limitations on whether something should be counted as a 'moment' or not. So, you can't blame all of us Seddiers for being a little more crazy than Creddiers.

As you know, I am a huge fan of Seddie, but I do appreciate and like Creddie. So I don't like bashing anyone on here, but us Seddiers can get just as crazy and insane as Creddiers, but Creddiers, from what I saw, some of them get a tad too violent. I'm not directing anything at you guys, I swear! But on other websites, I've read 'Seddie sucks! It'll never happen! Creddie will prevail! Mwuhahaha!' and other....mean comments. But do remember, Dan didn't intend for there to be romance in this show, well at least not as the main focal point, so don't be surprised if nobody gets together with anyone in the end.

Whoa, I just wrote my first long post in a long time! Thank you for the person who made this topic!

iCarlyFan101

[20]Aug 4, 2010

charmed4eva112 wrote:

Ok, yes, I do agree with most of you (finally, a debate which I have an opinion on!). Yes, some of us Seddiers can get crazy. The Schwab anyone? But the thing is, anything can be defined as a 'moment'. The debate that comes into question is whether it is a big moment or a small moment. Ok, sometimes, people can go over the top with shipping through the example of the Seddie/Creddie wikia 'facts'. But then there are some of us that are level headed and sure, some moments that we consider to be a shipping moment can be over the top, but it makes it fun for us to randomly find an innocent look, nudge or smile towards our shipping preference and declare it a moment. Deep down, some of us know it's not really an official 'moment', but an unofficial one. Yeah, I'm not making any sense. But basically, some moments are official, and others are just interpretive moments.

Some Seddiers go over the top, yes, but aren't there Creddiers that do the same? I've read on some other forums of Seddiers bashing Creddiers and visa versa, when in reality, both sides do have their 'moments', big or small. I don't count standing beside each other a moment, but I do count small looks, glances, nudges and smiles because, for some ships, like Seddie, you don't get as many moments as the obvious ships, like Creddie, so we go over the top sometimes just for hope. But no, I think there are certain limitations on whether something should be counted as a 'moment' or not. So, you can't blame all of us Seddiers for being a little more crazy than Creddiers.

As you know, I am a huge fan of Seddie, but I do appreciate and like Creddie. So I don't like bashing anyone on here, but us Seddiers can get just as crazy and insane as Creddiers, but Creddiers, from what I saw, some of them get a tad too violent. I'm not directing anything at you guys, I swear! But on other websites, I've read 'Seddie sucks! It'll never happen! Creddie will prevail! Mwuhahaha!' and other....mean comments. But do remember, Dan didn't intend for there to be romance in this show, well at least not as the main focal point, so don't be surprised if nobody gets together with anyone in the end.

Whoa, I just wrote my first long post in a long time! Thank you for the person who made this topic!

Hahahaha!!! You're very welcome! I love to hear others opinions on stuff like this. Although - I do think we're veering a little off topic with the whole are Seddiers or Creddiers crazier? It's not the ship that makes someone crazy - it's just their personality be they a Seddier or a Creddier right?