We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

episode discussion: iOpen a Restaurant

vanillacupcakes

[21]Jul 3, 2012
    • level: 16
    Same! I've shipped them since the pilot, but I didn't think the were going to get a major episode. Now, I just can't see Cat being "clueless" that Robbie likes her for a whole season. I gained a lot of respect for Robbie in this episode, and I'd hate for him to get friendzoned or rejected. I want them to get together before Jade/Beck(I ship them too). It seems like they have less problems.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

marcdragicevic

[22]Jul 3, 2012
    • level: 21
    That's true. Do you still remember when Cat kissed Robbie in that Stage Fighting episode to prove a point?

BrookeParker

[23]Jul 3, 2012
    • level: 12
    I thought about when the Principal Franklin and Mr. Howard caught them. And Sam's attitude toward Gibby at one point. I enjoyed the fight scene (I think there was one in this one as well).

marcdragicevic

[24]Aug 15, 2012
    Wait.. who did Principal Franklin and Mr. Howard catch kissing?

vanillacupcakes

[25]Aug 15, 2012
    She meant caught them having their own underground restaurant business lol. She didn't mention kissing.

marcdragicevic

[26]Aug 15, 2012
    Haha, I wasn't quite sure. Since I mentioned something about Cat and Robbie, I thought she mentioned something similar in iCarly where a teacher caught another couple.

Principal Franklin is risking is job on the line, especially in this episode.

teenj12

[27]Aug 16, 2012
    • level: 26
    marcdragicevic wrote:
    Haha, I wasn't quite sure. Since I mentioned something about Cat and Robbie, I thought she mentioned something similar in iCarly where a teacher caught another couple.

Meh, he's the principle I think he'll be fine.

Fireofnature

[28]Aug 16, 2012
    • level: 13
    teenj12 wrote:
    marcdragicevic wrote:

Not necessarily, Marc is right, many things Franklin does, a high school principal should NOT be doing. For instance, when he got fired in the one episode he appeared on iCarly and sat on those fudge balls, that part was probably one of the more realistic scenarios. A high school principal could very well be fired by that because it makes him appear unprofessional, and a lot of schoolkids parents' would probably have complained about their child's principal getting caught up in something like that. The superintendent wouldn't have to be cruel or rough at all to fire him.

If he were caught supporting an illegal restaurant thing going on in the school, he could most definitely be fired. Unless those funds are going to school funds, or elsewhere, you can't run a business inside or on school grounds without a license, or some kind of permission deal. So indeed, Principal Franklin may be portrayed as the "cool principal", but in reality, he would be fired and out of a job.

teenj12

[29]Aug 16, 2012
    Fireofnature wrote:
    teenj12 wrote:
    marcdragicevic wrote:

Not necessarily, Marc is right, many things Franklin does, a high school principal should NOT be doing. For instance, when he got fired in the one episode he appeared on iCarly and sat on those fudge balls, that part was probably one of the more realistic scenarios. A high school principal could very well be fired by that because it makes him appear unprofessional, and a lot of schoolkids parents' would probably have complained about their child's principal getting caught up in something like that. The superintendent wouldn't have to be cruel or rough at all to fire him.

If he were caught supporting an illegal restaurant thing going on in the school, he could most definitely be fired. Unless those funds are going to school funds, or elsewhere, you can't run a business inside or on school grounds without a license, or some kind of permission deal. So indeed, Principal Franklin may be portrayed as the "cool principal", but in reality, he would be fired and out of a job.
    Okay you may be right on the restaurant thing. But the fact that he was fired for being on an innocent webshow was always kind of ridiculous to me, and still is every time I see that episode.

Fireofnature

[30]Aug 16, 2012
    Not at all ridiculous, Teen. You have to understand the realistic aspect of how many things could have gone wrong with that. The fact of the matter is, it wasn't just the fact that he appeared on the webshow. I do believe he was on it before, the matter was what he did on the webshow. In today's world, with parents complaining about the smallest things, someone could have easily picked up on that and complained to the school board regarding the Principal's behavior. Realistically, most principals do not want to be seen on camera like that, doing anything that could make them appear unprofessional in any way. So Franklin's getting fired for that was indeed appropriate. It might not have seemed fair, and it probably wasn't, but it was realistic of what would have happened anyway. Just because we didn't see reactions to his behavior, aside from the Superintendent, does not mean they didn't happen.

vanillacupcakes

[31]Aug 17, 2012

Really....??? My principal in high school did crazy/silly stuff. He wore silly costumes for a stupid sketch these theater kids wanted to do about the world ending or something. Everybody loved this principal (parents included), because they thought he was so "relatable", laid back and on a good level with the kids. I knew somebody else who's principal in elementary school ate worms since the students in the students school read a certain amount of books. I actually found the fact he appeared on the webshow worse than what he did, since the webshow isn't a school function or related to Ridgeway in any way. It's just weird for me when teachers/principals are hanging out with their students outside of school.

iCarly characters can get away with a lot of crazy chiz. With the restaurant thing, yes they could all get into trouble, but I never expected them to.

Edited on 08/16/2012 11:44pm

Fireofnature

[32]Aug 17, 2012
    Hm, I could come from a stricter community, but who knows. There are certain boundaries that I know an educator can't cross, but I think it probably would vary depending on location

marcdragicevic

[33]Aug 18, 2012
    Characters from all shows tend to get away with most things that would not be possible in a real life scenario.

teenj12

[34]Aug 20, 2012
    marcdragicevic wrote:
    Characters from all shows tend to get away with most things that would not be possible in a real life scenario.
    Such as A.N.T Farm. That show is so ridiculously unrealistic xP .

vanillacupcakes

[35]Aug 20, 2012
    I think his real issue is that he plays favorites, and there is a boundary between the relationship of students/faculty.

I like realism in shows, but I also like bizarre and ridiculous things that make you forget about your real life and problems. I like how people in iCarly just get away with things, because everything is happy go lucky. I like watching dramas if I'm in the mood to see those types of "problems". If in the end they fired Principal Franklin and suspended the kids for their restaurant business, it would be a major buzzkill for a Nickelodeon sitcom.

Fireofnature

[36]Aug 21, 2012
    vanillacupcakes wrote:

I like realism in shows, but I also like bizarre and ridiculous things that make you forget about your real life and problems. I like how people in iCarly just get away with things, because everything is happy go lucky. I like watching dramas if I'm in the mood to see those types of "problems". If in the end they fired Principal Franklin and suspended the kids for their restaurant business, it would be a major buzzkill for a Nickelodeon sitcom.

Very true, it would be a bit of a downer for a nick show. Me, I like for them to get away with stuff as well sometimes, shows that do that just inspire story ideas for me to write about what would really happen XD

marcdragicevic

[37]Sep 7, 2012
    It's used as a bit of comedy as well, which is a good thing.
    It can go over the top.